E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Which color looks best?

Old 04-01-2010, 02:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
Originally Posted by OceanView
I'm trying to buy a new e350 but am going back and forth on the color.
I initially liked black on black but now I'm thinking about a different color.
Maybe a steel grey or silver.
Which car do u think looks best for this model?
Ocean View -

Black looks great and classic on this car, but very hard to keep care of, you will have swirls and if you do not know how to remove them, this is a head ache.

Steel Grey may be one of the best looking, but it is also slightly hard to maintain.

Palladium looks *gorgeous* and is quite easy to maintain. It's a good bet.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:05 AM

08 SL550 & 11 535i
I think metallic steel grey is the best color, not as dark as black but darker than palladium silver.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:40 PM

2010 E350
I first ordered steel gray and after I saw a car on the street with P silver so went back to the dealer and change my order to P silver and that was tough to find...
Old 04-03-2010, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Same here

Originally Posted by ash_cpe
I first ordered steel gray and after I saw a car on the street with P silver so went back to the dealer and change my order to P silver and that was tough to find...
Didn't actually order the steel gray, but was at dealership to do it. Looked at cars on lot and liked the Palladium Silver much better. Depending on the light, it looks either medium/light gray or dark silver.
Really need to see the colors in the daylight.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by ash_cpe
Do what I did, order one of each. Bought a Steel Gray ML550 and a Palladium Silver E350 4M. Both look great!
Old 04-03-2010, 06:21 PM

2010 E350
They both look nice in sunlight, s gray looks classier but the p silver looks more sportier and it looks better with pano than s gray with pano IMO
Old 04-04-2010, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Personal choice but...

Black on Black with Burl Walnut looks terrific...

Old 04-04-2010, 02:24 PM

E350
very nice pictures
BTW Are you missing the sport drive?
Old 04-04-2010, 02:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W212 & W210
Yes, very personal choice.
Nevada Jack, did you use HDR technique on the last photo?
Old 04-04-2010, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by salamt
very nice pictures
BTW Are you missing the sport drive?
No, not at all. My last 4 MB's have had the sport package and I specifically wanted the Luxury model because of the softer suspension setup. The ride is really great and using the sport mode, it firms up the ride and is a little quicker from the line... but I stay in Comfort most of the time.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by OceanView
Yes, very personal choice.
Nevada Jack, did you use HDR technique on the last photo?
No HDR but I did some heavy tweaking in Topaz Adjust. I wanted to over-do-it on the PP and have it look a little more commercial. My signature is the same shot just has different PP.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:04 PM

CLK Cab
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
No, not at all. My last 4 MB's have had the sport package and I specifically wanted the Luxury model because of the softer suspension setup. The ride is really great and using the sport mode, it firms up the ride and is a little quicker from the line... but I stay in Comfort most of the time.
I think they meant did you get the Sport Sedan version of the E-Class but the luxury sedan version which does not have the AMG sport kit, 18 in wheels and "Sports Suspension" which lowers the car by almost 2 in and has stiffer springs.

From your picture it is very obvious that you are lacking those options because the difference between luxury vs sport body kit is night and day. The Sports body kit is much more flared out and has no chrome in the front bumper or rear bumper.

Again it is personal choice on which version you like, if you prefer the sportier fell which allows you to fell everything on the road on sport version or the more luxuries higher riding version which absorbs everything on the road felling just like some people like the chrome accents vs other hate it.

Last edited by mcdohl; 04-04-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mcdohl
I think they meant did you get the Sport Sedan version of the E-Class but the luxury sedan version which does not have the AMG sport kit, 18 in wheels and "Sports Suspension" which lowers the car by almost 2 in and has stiffer springs.

From your picture it is very obvious that you are lacking those options because the difference between luxury vs sport body kit is night and day. The Sports body kit is much more flared out and has no chrome in the front bumper or rear bumper.

Again it is personal choice on which version you like, if you prefer the sportier fell which allows you to fell everything on the road on sport version or the more luxuries higher riding version which absorbs everything on the road felling just like some people like the chrome accents vs other hate it.
I assumed the poster was asking whether I missed the firmer feel which is part of the AMG package. My S430, S550, GL550, SL550 and C350 all had the AMG option which I enjoyed to no end. But as I indicated I wanted to return to the softer MB ride and purchased the Luxury trim. The luxury supspension still offers a Comfort/Sport switch option and the firmer ride is evident but certainly not the firmness of the Sport trim.

You are correct about the look... frankly I am tired of the AMG look and think the luxury trim looks better. But that is from someone who just got tired of the Sporty nature of every MB model I purchased.
Old 04-04-2010, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I assumed the poster was asking whether I missed the firmer feel which is part of the AMG package. My S430, S550, GL550, SL550 and C350 all had the AMG option which I enjoyed to no end. But as I indicated I wanted to return to the softer MB ride and purchased the Luxury trim. The luxury supspension still offers a Comfort/Sport switch option and the firmer ride is evident but certainly not the firmness of the Sport trim.

You are correct about the look... frankly I am tired of the AMG look and think the luxury trim looks better. But that is from someone who just got tired of the Sporty nature of every MB model I purchased.
Are you refering to the "C/S" button?? That really does nothing for the ride, just the transmission shift points and allowing it to start in 1st gear while in S.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:08 PM

2006 E55
Nice Choice!! You will be pleased!!! Beautiful color combo!
Old 04-04-2010, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by sosh
Are you refering to the "C/S" button?? That really does nothing for the ride, just the transmission shift points and allowing it to start in 1st gear while in S.
You are right... I was confusing it with prior cars with ADS and Airmatic. However, now my sense of ride firmness when in S mode is destroyed and I find it is now all psychological...
Old 04-04-2010, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sosh... I take some of what I said back. The new E has Agility Control and has a set up for the Luxury and the Sport. It is a dampening system much like ADS (maybe it is ADS) and the shocks are adjusted to meet road conditions. So their is a setup for the Luxury in C and S mode that changes the ride through the shocks. Here is the detail from the MBUSA site:

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/#/expl...W&vc=E&yr=2010 Click on Handling, then Agility Control for the short video.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sosh... I take some of what I said back. The new E has Agility Control and has a set up for the Luxury and the Sport. It is a dampening system much like ADS (maybe it is ADS) and the shocks are adjusted to meet road conditions. So their is a setup for the Luxury in C and S mode that changes the ride through the shocks. Here is the detail from the MBUSA site:

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/#/expl...W&vc=E&yr=2010 Click on Handling, then Agility Control for the short video.
Thats interesting and I was not aware of it. However I have used S and noted no ride difference, must be very subtle and not like the Airmatic in my ML550 where the ride difference is drastically different in Sport mode.The MB Web site seems to indicate that adjustments are happening all the time depending on road conditions. It sort of downplays or does not really emphasize that it can be controlled from the C/S switch, although there is a quick shot of the switch.Thanks for bringing this to my attention. By the way I was told also that all the Luxury suspension parts are the same as the Sport parts, just different tuning. This came from my SA at the dealership who is usually correct and quite knowledgable.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thats interesting and I was not aware of it. However I have used S and noted no ride difference, must be very subtle and not like the Airmatic in my ML550 where the ride difference is drastically different in Sport mode.The MB Web site seems to indicate that adjustments are happening all the time depending on road conditions. It sort of downplays or does not really emphasize that it can be controlled from the C/S switch, although there is a quick shot of the switch.Thanks for bringing this to my attention. By the way I was told also that all the Luxury suspension parts are the same as the Sport parts, just different tuning. This came from my SA at the dealership who is usually correct and quite knowledgable.
The tunning difference is why I selected the Luxury trim... I did not want the firm ride anymore. I agree that the Airmatic the difference is very notable in C and S. However, I just sense more firmness and can feel more road roughness (or smoothness) when in S mode than when in C mode. Whatever is going on with the shocks I am happy with because the ride is what I remember from models before the fad of Sport took over.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The tunning difference is why I selected the Luxury trim... I did not want the firm ride anymore. I agree that the Airmatic the difference is very notable in C and S. However, I just sense more firmness and can feel more road roughness (or smoothness) when in S mode than when in C mode. Whatever is going on with the shocks I am happy with because the ride is what I remember from models before the fad of Sport took over.
Actually I have never owned a Sport version for that reason and the extreme low profile tires of the Sport. This is my 3rd E since 2001. With my ML550 I had no choice but the sport as thats the only way its available but the tires are not real low profile and the Airmatic solves the ride issue. When I want a firm bone jarring ride I climb into my 44 year old Corvette and use it for a weekend. After that climbing back into the Benz feels so good. None of these Sedans and SUV's are race or sport cars anyway. Why pretend? They are excellent comfortable reliable daily drivers and touring cars. As I age, comfort becomes much more important to me. Seems with the Sport version you see yourself coming and going but there are fewer Luxuries around, at least around here amd they stand out a bit more.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Actually I have never owned a Sport version for that reason and the extreme low profile tires of the Sport. This is my 3rd E since 2001. With my ML550 I had no choice but the sport as thats the only way its available but the tires are not real low profile and the Airmatic solves the ride issue. When I want a firm bone jarring ride I climb into my 44 year old Corvette and use it for a weekend. After that climbing back into the Benz feels so good. None of these Sedans and SUV's are race or sport cars anyway. Why pretend? They are excellent comfortable reliable daily drivers and touring cars. As I age, comfort becomes much more important to me. Seems with the Sport version you see yourself coming and going but there are fewer Luxuries around, at least around here amd they stand out a bit more.
+1000 Could not agree more sosh...
Old 04-07-2010, 07:51 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
I gotta say, I love having an AMG Package 211 as it looks a bit more "stand-out"-ish compared to the normals, and gives a bit more "excitement" to a dreary ride of the Elegance models. With the 212, as I've said before, give it some time, we'll find our heads turning more as a Luxury 212 passes by, M-B has simply whored out the AMG look with the 212, every one has them. What's awkward is, the 212's with AMG kits look pretty aggressive from the front especially, and just seeing your typical "E-Class Moms/Grandmas" with these sporty kits on their cars everywhere just doesn't look right.

That said, I drove my car long distance last weekend, and gotta say, as amazing as the ride is, I kept realizing how MUCH of the road I felt during certain road-types, and considering my car isn't much of a great handler with any suspension option, why take the cons of a Sporty ride when you're not gaining the perks all so much? In a perfect world, I think I'd like my *M-B* to have a soft-ish, luxurious suspension, yet still retain that stance and look of a Sport.

BTW Jack, now that you've had some seat time in your 212, how do you like it compared to your 221? Does it stack up in any quietness and/or serenity/isolation/luxurious departments, etc.?

Last edited by K-A; 04-07-2010 at 07:54 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by K-A
BTW Jack, now that you've had some seat time in your 212, how do you like it compared to your 221? Does it stack up in any quietness and/or serenity/isolation/luxurious departments, etc.?
I'm on record that the W221 was the best MB I have owned and that still is valid. Even with the AMG package, the S is the finest I have driven for comfort and just plain luxury. The interior felt like you were surrounded by only the finest of leathers and special treatments. With the ABC and Airmatic it floated over the road rather than driving on it. Quiet and serene driving pleasure all the time.

The E does not meet the S standard but it provides an excellent ride. Not quite as isolated as the S, but certainly a true MB "luxury" ride as we have known it to be. The interior is nicely done but there is not the feeling of the total luxury of the S. I am pleased with the car and have no serious or even minor complaints. The 350 engine is perfect for the car and even though I have owned 3 different models with the 550 engine, I do not miss the extra power.

Getting older (and wiser I hope) but the new E Luxury trim reminds me of the "old" MB sedans... solid, great handling and a smooth ride.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:30 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
I'm on record that the W221 was the best MB I have owned and that still is valid. Even with the AMG package, the S is the finest I have driven for comfort and just plain luxury. The interior felt like you were surrounded by only the finest of leathers and special treatments. With the ABC and Airmatic it floated over the road rather than driving on it. Quiet and serene driving pleasure all the time.

The E does not meet the S standard but it provides an excellent ride. Not quite as isolated as the S, but certainly a true MB "luxury" ride as we have known it to be. The interior is nicely done but there is not the feeling of the total luxury of the S. I am pleased with the car and have no serious or even minor complaints. The 350 engine is perfect for the car and even though I have owned 3 different models with the 550 engine, I do not miss the extra power.

Getting older (and wiser I hope) but the new E Luxury trim reminds me of the "old" MB sedans... solid, great handling and a smooth ride.
Ah, yeah that's what I assumed would be the case, thanks.

You're not helping me in trying to convince myself in not getting a 221 though, just researching that car, it's hard to find anyone who doesn't find it as the best thing since sliced bread. They really hit a home run with that one. How ridiculously unnecessary it is for my life is another story, but hey, sometimes you just gotta spoil the heck outta yourself, right?
Old 02-03-2014, 12:04 AM

Toyota Prius
black on black vs steel grey

I meant to revive this thread again!

black on black w/ regular wheels

vs

steel grey w/ amg wheels

help me pick one!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Which color looks best?