MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   Thoughts on best buy: 212 E350 VS CLS55/CLS550 VS Used S550 (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/352740-thoughts-best-buy-212-e350-vs-cls55-cls550-vs-used-s550.html)

ipp 05-28-2010 06:25 AM

Congrats K-A! I'd love to see some pics later on, what interior color did you get? When will you get it?

K-A 05-28-2010 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by 220S (Post 4094100)
Hey, you're renting somebody else's car now. You don't even have to wash it. Ever. Or change the oil. No problemo. :D

Was the E63 new, as in untitled? Did they throw out a price? My friend couldn't find a new '09 with P030 anywhere. I wonder how he missed this one? I know there's a black one at CalStar and at WI Simonson (but not P030 apparently.) Did it have mileage on it (sales demo?)

Hmm, not sure if it was P30 actually, I just remember it had a beefy wheel (probably regular fare for the E63), can't remember if the wheel had suede (unless I said it did, memory is going nuts).

First he said it was Used (it was in the Used portion), then when I started thinking about Test Driving it, he seemed to make clear that it only had like 300 miles on it or something (I think), and I said, "oh, so it's a New Car"? And he said yeah, not sure if a 300 mile car could be New, and not sure if it actually had that or less. At that point I realized it's way outta my range and figured F it, although driving it might have really shifted me in another direction.

LOL, yup, who needs a wash? Haha. It's gonna be weird thinking, "should I wash this myself or just run it through?" :D . I'm gonna take care of it though, as that's part of my "Enthusiasts experience", and to help out whoever gets the car after me.

I'm so peeved at how my GF, who knows nothing about cars, even noticed how "Rental" the rear looked, yet when she saw the side and front, she reacted incredibly positively, much more-so than she did toward my W211 (although I never felt she appreciated that car for some reason, maybe she was jealous of the attention I gave to it). Oh well, I think some little tweaks (Tinted Lights/Lip (if I end up doing that one) should bring it up to speed back there.

I looked up some "Lease-Trader" Leases and WHOA, some of those people who jumped on early REALLY are paying some prices. Made me feel better about my deal, lol. Also, my build is 4/10, so I get the "Side Impact Improvements" that the IIHS states gives the car and incredible Side Rating.

Originally Posted by alqamzi (Post 4094098)
Once i took my c63 for service and they gave me white w212 E350 4matic for the weekend. I swear that its the most comfortable car i've ever driven and the interior is much better then my c63, its a very nice car. Congrats and enjoy it in good health.

Thanks man! I appreciate that. Yeah, the car is probably as comfortable as it gets, and with the ambient lighting, 2 tone colors, and the overall demeaner, it's truly a confidence inspiring, coddling, comforting, and homely experience. It drives so solid, and nimble, and just perfect. Like my W211 but better, which is as good as I can ask for.

The steering wheel to note is incredible feeling, it feels like it wouldn't bend if you took a hammer to it repeatedly for 5 days, and they use Nappa Leather on it. Gives you a nice feel as that's what you're constantly touching.

K-A 05-28-2010 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by ipp (Post 4094107)
Congrats K-A! I'd love to see some pics later on, what interior color did you get? When will you get it?

Thank you ipp!!

BTW, more rambling.

What REALLY sold me on this car, was when I saw one in Service right next to a W126, I always noticed the W212 is trying hard to conjur up the 126's memories (almost too hard in some ways), but when I saw them together, I really thought the 212 looks like a very modern interpretation of a 126.

Your Wagon always looked so sweet in White, so I remembered that when I was thinking, "do I really like this color, or does it just look good to me at the Dealership".

I already have it, drove it home tonight. :D So it's right in the thick of it already. I'll post pics asap! Gonna get the Tints and stuff done hopefully soon, and a free Dealer wash after the Vegas trip (as I said, riight in the thick of it, lol) and I'll be snapping away!!

220S 05-28-2010 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by K-A (Post 4094108)
Hmm, not sure if it was P30 actually, I just remember it had a beefy wheel (probably regular fare for the E63), can't remember if the wheel had suede (unless I said it did, memory is going nuts).

First he said it was Used (it was in the Used portion), then when I started thinking about Test Driving it, he seemed to make clear that it only had like 300 miles on it or something (I think), and I said, "oh, so it's a New Car"? And he said yeah, not sure if a 300 mile car could be New, and not sure if it actually had that or less. At that point I realized it's way outta my range and figured F it, although driving it might have really shifted me in another direction.

Yeah, you said the wheel had alcantara on it which is what the P030 has. The regular wheel is beefy but with part Nappa and part perforated leather. The P030 also has bigger thumb locks.

With 300 miles, it's not new. No doubt somebody's been reaming on it. These motors should be broken in right or you can get major oil consumption or worse. I wouldn't buy an AMG as new with 300 miles on it. Probably why it's been sitting there. Thanks anyway for the info.

K-A 05-28-2010 07:00 AM

No prob. I'll try and remember to ask him how many miles exactly. Seems weird the cars been there for a while if it is "New", and no story behind it.

BTW and unrelated, funny how M-B has these very attractive "loyalty" Programs, yet I wasn't a candidate. I guess they'd rather you stay under the M-B Financial Umbrella than be someone who'd bought 3 M-B's in 2 years. First one was a Private Party, sure (although I supported a long time M-B Owner himself in that case), second one was through M-B Financial Loan, which since I payed it off in full last year, is why I am not "eligable".

I guess now that I'm a Leaser I'll be a candidate next time. :smash: :rolleyes:

Wig 05-28-2010 10:41 AM

Congratulations K-A. I win the gentlemen's bet! ;)

You'd better take cover. They'll be throwing your previous comments back at you!

Hope you enjoy the new car. :cheers:

Rowrbazzle 05-28-2010 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by K-A (Post 4094039)
My Girlfriend saw it from the rear in my parking spot and cringed when she had to admit "I was gonna say, WHY DO YOU HAVE A RENTAL CAR!!!!" :tear: Because the rear looks so "cheap". WHY DID THEY HAVE TO FFFF UP THE REAR!!!! However, she said the front is the nicest she's ever seen on a car, so the Jekyll and Hyde W212 it is.

I've heard bad reactions to the rear of the W212, but it looks much better at night - particularly with the lights on, not cheap at all. I have to question her judgment if she didn't like it even at night. (Insert joke about her judgment in dating you :slap:). Did she say the same thing about the back end of the Malibu? Yikes. :p:

Glad to see you got something you like. :y Although I really thought you'd grab an S class.

petee1997 05-28-2010 11:36 AM

Well K-A I was right! Six months ago I said you would have a W212 in less than a year. Last week I said it takes more than ten minutes behind the wheel to appreciate this car. You disagreed. Every day for the next month you are going to find something that you like better about this car as it grows on you. Enjoy.

PS We now expect you to eat your words on cheap materials,safety of pano roof, LED running lights, rear tail lights, free sport package,,angles,design, leasing and much much more.

K-A 05-28-2010 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by petee1997 (Post 4094345)
Well K-A I was right! Six months ago I said you would have a W212 in less than a year. Last week I said it takes more than ten minutes behind the wheel to appreciate this car. You disagreed. Every day for the next month you are going to find something that you like better about this car as it grows on you. Enjoy.

PS We now expect you to eat your words on cheap materials,safety of pano roof, LED running lights, rear tail lights, free sport package,,angles,design, leasing and much much more.

LOL! Yup, you were right! I fully expect a nice "E-Reaming" here. :p:

As they always say, fine line between love and hate. Fortunately, the things I still do "hate", I can't help but set aside due to those that I do love. Leasing is still something that I'm TOTALLY at odds with, but I'm really trying to force it on myself, at least to experience it and see how it works for me. I mean, there's a reason everybody does it right?! I just feel that paying $33K depreciation on this car for 39 months is a bit much, and getting a low low mileage CPO one would have probably saved some $$$$ in the long run seeing as to how I expect the W212 to hold better resale than the W211 due to much better initial Reliability, but idk.

Anyway, thanks, and thanks for not rubbing it in too much!! :D

Originally Posted by Rowrbazzle (Post 4094287)
I've heard bad reactions to the rear of the W212, but it looks much better at night - particularly with the lights on, not cheap at all. I have to question her judgment if she didn't like it even at night. (Insert joke about her judgment in dating you :slap:). Did she say the same thing about the back end of the Malibu? Yikes. :p:

Glad to see you got something you like. :y Although I really thought you'd grab an S class.

Yup, you too. :) Yeah, I was really set on the S, but was really pushing the E on myself, it's just the market on S550's is really working in the Dealers favors right now, and I know how badly depreciation on them will hit once the '11 MY's roll out and the upcoming body style, etc. At the same time, Dealers are asking a pretty penny, yet no models are moving it seems.

As well, I just couldn't get that "right" feeling on the inside again, just felt too big, and dare I say awkward (again it was a black model with no AMG Pack, so maybe it was psychological. The E's size and overall proportions felt immediately like a "fit".

Originally Posted by Wig (Post 4094270)
Congratulations K-A. I win the gentlemen's bet! ;)

You'd better take cover. They'll be throwing your previous comments back at you!

Hope you enjoy the new car. :cheers:

Thanks Wig, I've got my flame-suit on so I'm trying to stay prepared. :D :cheers: .

K-A 05-28-2010 02:46 PM

Oh and Rowr, yeah, I think her surprise was how "mismatched" the character of the front was from the back. Keep in mind, she hates Cars so I've never vented about the E-Classes rear to her. I immediately said "but the taillights are so blingy, you love blingy?!" She didn't seem to see past the design.

They do look a lot cooler at night, just the design is lacking that sense-of-occasion/elegance I think, BUT, I've seen some models with some tweaks back there that have turned it around, it's like something has to be "unlocked".

For the record, she revealed she saw my W211 as having an "old mans car" butt, although she said it was probably the color. My favorite angle of my 211 was the rear, so maybe my GF is just :crazy:. :D

220S 05-28-2010 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by K-A (Post 4094117)

BTW and unrelated, funny how M-B has these very attractive "loyalty" Programs, yet I wasn't a candidate. I guess they'd rather you stay under the M-B Financial Umbrella than be someone who'd bought 3 M-B's in 2 years. First one was a Private Party, sure (although I supported a long time M-B Owner himself in that case), second one was through M-B Financial Loan, which since I payed it off in full last year, is why I am not "eligable".

I guess now that I'm a Leaser I'll be a candidate next time. :smash: :rolleyes:

If you're an MBCA member you'll get an instant $1500 credit from MBUSA.

btw, you're eligible for loyalty if you buy the car outside of MB Financial, too.

RW C55 05-28-2010 06:11 PM

Congrats on your new E! I'm pretty sure u'll appreciate the "differences" between W211 & W212 as you drive the new car more.
Also, ForMyMercedes.com is a good source for the spoiler you're looking for. Might not be the best deal but I think the pricing is reasonable enough. IMHO this is a simple "upgrade" that'll change your "rental car" opinion regarding the rear end.

Wig 05-28-2010 06:31 PM

K-A. What happened to the BMW F10 5 Series idea?

Fwiw - I think the W212 is the better choice, and I suspect as a Benz aficionado you didn't want to make the jump to the 'dark side'.

K-A 05-28-2010 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by 220S (Post 4094692)
If you're an MBCA member you'll get an instant $1500 credit from MBUSA.

btw, you're eligible for loyalty if you buy the car outside of MB Financial, too.

Really. How do you become a Member?

Originally Posted by RW C55 (Post 4094820)
Congrats on your new E! I'm pretty sure u'll appreciate the "differences" between W211 & W212 as you drive the new car more.
Also, ForMyMercedes.com is a good source for the spoiler you're looking for. Might not be the best deal but I think the pricing is reasonable enough. IMHO this is a simple "upgrade" that'll change your "rental car" opinion regarding the rear end.

Thank you for the Link! That is cheaper than Parts.Com, and for $299 it even comes painted, sound good to me! I think that and some smoked tails will do the trick. The car looks so classy with the two tone interior peeking out of the windows of the White car right now, but Tints to me always tie the car together nicely, and without them it's lacking that flair that I like.

This cars Insurance was A LOT less than an '07 S550, or an '06 CLS55, like majorly.

K-A 05-28-2010 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Wig (Post 4094836)
K-A. What happened to the BMW F10 5 Series idea?

Fwiw - I think the W212 is the better choice, and I suspect as a Benz aficionado you didn't want to make the jump to the 'dark side'.

I forgot to post about the F10, lol.

Yeah, I did jump the gun a bit in not waiting just a few more months to check out the F10 in full.

My main things that convinced me to go with the Benz over a car that I'm really interested in, yet haven't seen in person yet were: A- That I just love the "Benz" brand more, and BMW really lost a lot of cache and prestige to me during and after the Bangle era, however, that is changing with the F01 and probably F10, B- It'll be a while for the M-Pack to be out I think, and C- Again, Bimmers just have lost some prestige, and being that everyone in SoCal has one, it's hard for me to get excited over the brand (not that Benz is much more rare at all). In about 7 years, I'll probably have a warmer outlook of BMW soon enough, yet with the 5'er GT, and hideous X6, etc. I dunno.

What really makes me wish I waited, more than anything, is the 535 TT motor being avail for comparative pricing with the E350.

220S 05-28-2010 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by K-A (Post 4094890)

Again, Bimmers just have lost some prestige, and being that everyone in SoCal has one, it's hard for me to get excited over the brand (not that Benz is much more rare at all). In about 7 years, I'll probably have a warmer outlook of BMW soon enough, yet with the 5'er GT, and hideous X6, etc. I dunno.

Go to the MBCA website and sign up. I belong to the MBCA, BMWCCA, and PCA (since I have all three cars; certain benefits are nice plus the magazines, events, etc..) But to get the $$ credit you have to have been a member for at least a year. Do it now and next time you'll get the benefits. :y

As far as "everyone in SoCal having one," there is no exclusivity with any brand in this part of the country. I dunno what's more plentiful here, MB E350s or BMW 3ers and 5ers. They're all a dime a dozen. My personal take is always buy the car you truly want and screw everybody else. Anyway, exclusivity is an illusion, imho.

Also each brand has its dogs: MB, BMW, Porsche, Audi.

p.s., I'm still surprised you didn't pick up an S, but there's always tomorrow. :)

gaazmon 05-28-2010 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by 220S (Post 4094939)
They're all a dime a dozen. My personal take is always buy the car you truly want and screw everybody else. Anyway, exclusivity is an illusion, imho.

seriously. what exclusivity. ya my friend goes to school in some middle of nowhere part of west virginia and says the nicest car around is a C6 corvette. over there if i drove around in my car, I'd get everyone looking, but in LA, no way. just drive what you like.

K-A 05-28-2010 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by 220S (Post 4094939)
Go to the MBCA website and sign up. I belong to the MBCA, BMWCCA, and PCA (since I have all three cars; certain benefits are nice plus the magazines, events, etc..) But to get the $$ credit you have to have been a member for at least a year. Do it now and next time you'll get the benefits. :y

As far as "everyone in SoCal having one," there is no exclusivity with any brand in this part of the country. I dunno what's more plentiful here, MB E350s or BMW 3ers and 5ers. They're all a dime a dozen. My personal take is always buy the car you truly want and screw everybody else. Anyway, exclusivity is an illusion, imho.

Also each brand has its dogs: MB, BMW, Porsche, Audi.

p.s., I'm still surprised you didn't pick up an S, but there's always tomorrow. :)

Cool, thanks, I'll sign up!

Yeah, I see all those cars here too much, which is a big issue with the E-Class, seeing as to how they're all optioned with the same exterior styling. I always felt kind of "different from the 211 crowd" in my 211, due to the rare AMG Package, and Pewter color. We'll see how I feel once I do some little tweaks here and there, and after a couple of years. The P2 LED's, and Pano give at least some differences from the commons out there, but they are subtle. I will say, the 3-Series is so damn common, it annoys me to see them, like how many people can possibly want a friggin' 3-Series? I guess it does out-do the C-Class in most respects.

Yeah, I am too, I hope I made the right choice, right now my battle is "was Leasing the right move", if so, then the 212 is it, since that's the only car I'd Lease right now basically.

So far I'm happy, if not, then oh well, it's just money right, lol. I'm (knocking on wood) not planning on it going anywhere for me, so after this 39 month Marriage with this car, I'll see what happens.... Man, 39 months!! :eek: Haha.

.... Or we'll just see how long it takes for me to get that "I want a temparmental Exotic/Sports Car/outlandish Luxury Car to baby" thought again. I am counting on the 212 to keep me happy and feeling "special" for 39 months!! :rolf: We'll see if it's up to the task.

220S 05-28-2010 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by K-A (Post 4094992)
Cool, thanks, I'll sign up!

Yeah, I see all those cars here too much, which is a big issue with the E-Class, seeing as to how they're all optioned with the same exterior styling. I always felt kind of "different from the 211 crowd" in my 211, due to the rare AMG Package, and Pewter color. We'll see how I feel once I do some little tweaks here and there, and after a couple of years. The P2 LED's, and Pano give at least some differences from the commons out there, but they are subtle.

Nobody will ever notice, except you. :) But hey, that's the enjoyment of car ownership. :y

Reality is once you're behind the wheel, it's only the driving experience that matters; how others see you is irrelevant. Plus on LA freeways nobody is looking......either at you or the road :eek:

I will say, the 3-Series is so damn common, it annoys me to see them, like how many people can possibly want a friggin' 3-Series? I guess it does out-do the C-Class in most respects.

The 335i is a quick little go-kart and with a few mods can come close to the M3, and especially the new 335is coupe. 328i is a C300 with a nicer interior, no real excitement there.

Yeah, I am too, I hope I made the right choice, right now my battle is "was Leasing the right move", if so, then the 212 is it, since that's the only car I'd Lease right now basically.

So far I'm happy, if not, then oh well, it's just money right, lol. I'm (knocking on wood) not planning on it going anywhere for me, so after this 39 month Marriage with this car, I'll see what happens.... Man, 39 months!! :eek: Haha.

No biggie, it's done now. No looking back. You're simply renting a car long term. Then just give it back to MB Finance when you're really ready for that S ;)

.... Or we'll just see how long it takes for me to get that "I want a temparmental Exotic/Sports Car/outlandish Luxury Car to baby" thought again. I am counting on the 212 to keep me happy and feeling "special" for 39 months!! :rolf: We'll see if it's up to the task.

Yeah, you still need a play toy in the garage. Life's too short. :zoom:

MBNUT1 05-29-2010 12:21 AM

KA this is too wierd I thought we were of like mind. I am selling my E3504matic as well. It will be gone the end of next week.

I was looking at it tonight and during my drive of it I was thinking that I am making a big mistake but.... I am selling me E350 mainly because I don't love it enough to put up with the dealership experience and I've had way more than I care to discuss.

As my handle implies I love the marque but I have been truly disappointed in this car.

I bought it for two reasons a guy a work bought it brand new and I lusted over it ever time I saw it. He decided to sell it two years later and gave me a screaming deal. I had driven a couple of E class and liked the power of the E500 but never really got to know the cars. So in some sense I bought it without really driving it. And frankly the whole experience has been not great. In large part due to the fact that I treated like 220S described the experience of owning a QP. I freaked out on every little thing that happened to it or went wrong with it and trust me in the two years I owned I had an uncanny number of incidents with it.

KA I've read of your posts in the past I agree that for whatever reason the E350 doesn't feel the least bit solid. I live in an midwestern urban area which a lot of roads in poor repair and the car feels like it's anything but carve from a piece of granite.
My experience with this car mirrorred Quadbenz's with his S550 in that it has had rattles, vibrations etc. I thought that since it was under warranty I could finally get the car to drive perfectly but it just had too many rattles buzz's vibrations to ever hope to get the dealer to address though I tried. On occasion I enjoyed driving the car but most times not.

I would consider the new E350 if I was convinced that it was solid like I expect a Mercedes to be and would stay that way. Like I was telling one of the salesman at the dealership I don't mind paying some money up front but I want to feel like the car is going to last forever.

So Congratulations!!! and keep us posted on your W212 experience and maybe I will follow you.

220S 05-29-2010 01:33 AM

^^^
That's a sad story. I do have to say that MB franchises in the US are pretty pathetic. I've been going to an Indy for my routine maintenance even though I'm still under warranty. He has all the SDS and is enthusiastic about MBs and AMGs in particular.

I think Daimler is getting back on track but whether we ever get back to the W124 period is another story. I doubt it. And not just with MB, but other brands too. Things have changed; ownership style has changed and economies have changed.

I was thinking of selling my 993 and my E63 and picking up a 997.2 as a daily (I don't really need a 4 door sedan.) And despite Porsche having the highest JD Power ratings, blah, blah, there are still issues with the cars (including massive oil consumption.)

I've been satisfied with the E63 and it's performed flawlessly so far. But I find it disheartening to hear of other people's imperfect ownership experiences.

No brand is 100%. And there are always bad samples and luck of the draw. If you replace your E350 will the next car be any better or worse? It's a crap shoot. I think you have to just follow your instinct.

But there's nothing worse than owning something that causes anxiety and prohibits enjoyment.

K-A 05-29-2010 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by MBNUT1 (Post 4095232)
KA this is too wierd I thought we were of like mind. I am selling my E3504matic as well. It will be gone the end of next week.

I was looking at it tonight and during my drive of it I was thinking that I am making a big mistake but.... I am selling me E350 mainly because I don't love it enough to put up with the dealership experience and I've had way more than I care to discuss.

As my handle implies I love the marque but I have been truly disappointed in this car.

I bought it for two reasons a guy a work bought it brand new and I lusted over it ever time I saw it. He decided to sell it two years later and gave me a screaming deal. I had driven a couple of E class and liked the power of the E500 but never really got to know the cars. So in some sense I bought it without really driving it. And frankly the whole experience has been not great. In large part due to the fact that I treated like 220S described the experience of owning a QP. I freaked out on every little thing that happened to it or went wrong with it and trust me in the two years I owned I had an uncanny number of incidents with it.

KA I've read of your posts in the past I agree that for whatever reason the E350 doesn't feel the least bit solid. I live in an midwestern urban area which a lot of roads in poor repair and the car feels like it's anything but carve from a piece of granite.
My experience with this car mirrorred Quadbenz's with his S550 in that it has had rattles, vibrations etc. I thought that since it was under warranty I could finally get the car to drive perfectly but it just had too many rattles buzz's vibrations to ever hope to get the dealer to address though I tried. On occasion I enjoyed driving the car but most times not.

I would consider the new E350 if I was convinced that it was solid like I expect a Mercedes to be and would stay that way. Like I was telling one of the salesman at the dealership I don't mind paying some money up front but I want to feel like the car is going to last forever.

So Congratulations!!! and keep us posted on your W212 experience and maybe I will follow you.

Thanks buddy!

I know what you mean, and it's sad to hear your E350 has let you down. I also treated my W211 like a Ferrari, and it got overbearing, I think that forced me to "clean out the closet", per-se, and start anew. One reason I'm Leasing is because, I'm so OCD, if I love something, I want to keep it perfect, young, etc. Leasing gives me a little less stress in regards to me treating the car in a more sane matter (so far, we'll see if my OCD kicks in). Even still, I look at the car and my natural instincts say "CLEAN IT CONSTANTLY! Put it in the Garage, etc." That's just how I am, I'm gonna grow from it, and that alone is priceless to me.

Honestly, I think the W212 is PERFECT for you, and for the record, as I'm sure you remember, over a year or so ago I told you the same thing in regards to the W211 VS W212 when you explained what you were looking for in your Benz!

Seems the W211's are a mixed bag, due to that trivial period they were launched in. Some people say theirs feel so solid, some not so much. Mine felt kind of "weak" as well, for what I wanted out of a Benz. And the front door closing-sound was terrible, ESPECIALLY with the windows down. :eek:

The W211 has a very elegant, kind of "soft" vibe, not much emphasis on "strength", yet being a Mercedes, it still held that aspect naturally, just less than some Benzes that put more emphasis in that. I think both directions have their minuses and pluses.

I love the 211, and loved my car, but one of the areas that always bothered me about mine, was the solidity aspect. The 212, which for the record has 39K less Miles than my 211 did, feels like a BULL, like M-B welded everything together in the interior, the strength of the buttons/materials/fit & finish, etc. are far superior than anything I've been in. The materials are strong and feel destined to last, yet at the same time, many are questionable in that they aren't that "luxurious", however, I can't stress HOW rich the interior can look with the right Options and Color Combo, even considering some of the questionable IMO materials. I honestly can sit there and pick areas that individually don't match the 211's (like I have so many times), but I get why many said you kind of have to own the car to understand why so many look past those. There's an underlying sense of quality, that goes deeper than the materials, and kind of forces you to give them the benefit of the doubt, i.e "well if they chose this, it must mean that it's the best". A good testament to the things that the car really does do great.

I will say, the all Black interior W212 felt disappointing to me, and didn't stack up to my W211 in overall interior ambiance. My W212's interior combo is just dreamy to me. It really has this vibe that is brilliant and super luxurious and CONFIDENCE inspiring, the colors, the ambient lighting, the Pano, the solidity, etc., all come together to create this vibe. Something about this car just tells you that you're in good hands, and you need not worry about anything related to it, and it'll take care of you.... Well, it's a mix of everything, i.e, the car as a whole comes together to tell you that.

The steering wheel alone speaks volumes about the car it represents. Aside from the surprising including of Nappa on it (which feels amazing), the thing feels like it's made from something that is unbreakable, you can literally smack the wheel rim full force, and the thing won't vibrate or flinch.

Anyway, the 212 and 211 couldn't be any different. The similarities are in the driving style, where's the 212 feels like "W211 done better", which is a great thing. It's more floaty than my stiff AMG Sport 211, yet handles WAY WAY better, it just is so much more nimble, steering feel is superb, easier to operate, yet hugs the roads more. I've heard some "clunking" going on when going over big bumps or really rough patches, not sure if it's normal, but it isn't a problem yet. The 211 was quiet, yet when it was put to the test, THAT'S where it annoyed me, as it would start letting noise in. So far, the 212 seems super quiet through and through. I'm hoping that continues.

I still look at 211's and admire, as I don't have "old Owner" syndrome, where all of a sudden I've gone 180 on a car that I loved just a week ago (I've seen this happen so many questionable times). I really don't feel like I'm driving a continuation of it, just feels like such a different car. I think both cars cater to you differently. I would love to pick up an E55 sometime, to go along with the 212. That would be E-Class-Awesome. :y

K-A 05-29-2010 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by 220S (Post 4095102)
Nobody will ever notice, except you. :) But hey, that's the enjoyment of car ownership. :y

Reality is once you're behind the wheel, it's only the driving experience that matters; how others see you is irrelevant. Plus on LA freeways nobody is looking......either at you or the road :eek:

The 335i is a quick little go-kart and with a few mods can come close to the M3, and especially the new 335is coupe. 328i is a C300 with a nicer interior, no real excitement there.

No biggie, it's done now. No looking back. You're simply renting a car long term. Then just give it back to MB Finance when you're really ready for that S ;)

Yeah, you still need a play toy in the garage. Life's too short. :zoom:

Agreed. :cheers:

Yeah, I still want to get a toy, something pretty "cheap", fast, raw, loud, etc. And my E will be the nice refined cruiser to give me that nice balance.

ESIX3POWER 05-29-2010 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by K-A (Post 4094088)
LOLL, I indeed am gonna get pummeled by the 212 owners

.... which weirdly, I am now!! :eek

Yeah, I really feel like Leasing is my future for cars, it's just an odd feeling, I naturally want to coddle my car, take it out only when it's nice out/for enjoyment, etc. But I feel that this is a better "life's choice", and money choice (Leasing), although, I do think I would have lost less money had I gotten a CPO W212 and sold it in a few years. Oh well, I think the process is better for my psychological system. Although, I'm having a weird time right now in regards to "Is this truly MY car/do I take care of it? I like it, so I wanna baby it, but I'm Leasing it", etc. I dunno, I'll mature into a proper monthly Paying Leaser and it'll all make sense soon, lol.

Yeah, Malibu is pointless now, although it's so damn cheap and such a good car, I kind of want to keep it around. Kind of hoping a family member will pick it up.

I'm gonna want to get something fun to toy with, 997 would be SUPREME but I think it's a biiit out of the price range, lol.

I wonder how much Used W211 E55's are gonna be within the coming year. :D

Oh, and it was at Mercedes Of Long Beach. It's a SWEET Black E63, and looks and feel like brand new (I'm sure it's been sitting for a while). They seemed eager to wanna make a deal on that thing. Not sure if I should post my Salesmans name, but if you're friend wants to check it out I'll pass you my guy, honestly the best Salesman I've ever dealt with (he's brand new to Car Sales, so that's why), I've never really wanted to actually make a deal with a guy 'cause I felt he deserved it after putting up with me for a day, lol.

Oh Boy oh Boy, LOL.. I would dig up some old posts but this is not the right time .. Congrats on the car!:y I have no doubts you will enjoy her. The new E drives like a dream.:zoom:

K-A 05-29-2010 06:55 PM

Hahaa, I was waiting for you to pop in.

Yes yes, bring it on, I can certainly dish it, thus I am strong enough to take it.

Thanks. :y