E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Does Keyless Go automatically Lock the doors for you?

Old 06-01-2010, 12:48 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Does Keyless Go automatically Lock the doors for you?

I'm under the impression that it does. However, have been skeptical as when I pull the handle of my car to get in, no chirp/lights, etc. I keep wondering if perhaps my simply walking away from the car isn't locking it as I thought it was.

Today I put my key in a relatively far away area from the car, walked up to the car (with no key), and what do you know, the doors are still unlocked.

How does you guys' Keyless work? For now I'm figuring I have to manually lock it with the KeyFob, then do the Keyless route for opening/starting, etc.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E350 1999 Ninja ZX7R 2006 Ninja ZX10R
Keyless go does not automatically lock your doors. There is a slight divit on the door handle that needs to be touched to lock the car. The lights will flash and the car will give a double chirp sound indicating the car is locked. When opening the car simply pull on the door handle and the car automatically unlocks. Always keep the key in your pocket except when washing the car.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:33 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Amazing, thank you! I had no idea to touch the door, that makes sense. I take it you mean the little black square thing.

Interesting thought, being how this key seems to send enough of a current through your body to allow your simple touch to call an order to the cars electronics to lock/unlock, I wonder if there may be any long term side effects to that.

BTW, what's the main reason to not keep it in your pocket during a wash, simply to avoid from wetting the key?

Thanks again.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe

RTFM!

Stewpid newbie.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 E63 Obsidiant Black; '06 R350 Alabaster White; 05 C55 Obsidiant Black (sold)
Originally Posted by K-A
Amazing, thank you! I had no idea to touch the door, that makes sense. I take it you mean the little black square thing.

Interesting thought, being how this key seems to send enough of a current through your body to allow your simple touch to call an order to the cars electronics to lock/unlock, I wonder if there may be any long term side effects to that.

BTW, what's the main reason to not keep it in your pocket during a wash, simply to avoid from wetting the key?

Thanks again.
My guess is that the sensors for the key-less is actually a pressure sensor, and there are at least 2 key sensors to locate where the key.
BTW, the touch sensor senses the entire door handle actually, so you can just slighting press (or just touch with enough force)on the non-chromed part of the handle and the door will be locked. Similarly, you don't have to pull the handle to unlock the door, simply a touch to the inside of the handle will do the trick.

This pressure sensor is the only reason you would not carry the keys with you during a wash.. your car will unlock like crazy when the water jet hit the handle
Old 06-01-2010, 03:16 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Haahhh. I was waiting for that.

I have A.D.D when I open up those big books. You should have seen me when I was trying to find the "HomeLink" section to get my Garage Opener synced up (which IS NOT titled under "HomeLink"). As the 212 doesn't have that nifty "Cliffs Notes" pocket sized Guide like my 211 did, I was rummaging through the book, grunting, yelling, whining, tossing stuff around the car, trying to break out of my seat like a caged tiger, pressing buttons aimlessly under the rearview mirror with smoke blowing out of my ears.... Until my Girlfriend calmly takes the Book, searched for a few minutes and finally finds "Garage"....

Ahh.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:20 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by RW C55
My guess is that the sensors for the key-less is actually a pressure sensor, and there are at least 2 key sensors to locate where the key.
BTW, the touch sensor senses the entire door handle actually, so you can just slighting press (or just touch with enough force)on the non-chromed part of the handle and the door will be locked. Similarly, you don't have to pull the handle to unlock the door, simply a touch to the inside of the handle will do the trick.

This pressure sensor is the only reason you would not carry the keys with you during a wash.. your car will unlock like crazy when the water jet hit the handle
Ahh, awesome, thanks for the info!

Funny, I'm SO not a car-Tech kind of guy, my Salesman couldn't even figure out how to get my crappy LG Phone synced up to BlueTooth. As long as I never have had it, it doesn't mean much to me. Like Keyless go was always something I could care less about.

It still isn't a requirement to me, but funny how you get accustomed to these convenience (lazy-boy) items, and now love, and need, etc. them, lol.

Honestly, the main reason I wanted the Keyless Go was for the chrome at the top of the handles, I can't believe M-B puts those un-M-B like cheap-y looking monochromatic handles on the new E's with no Keyless.

Also, the Aluminum push button just looks and feels too cool.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by K-A

Thanks again.
Don't worry the key doesn't send current through your body. Keyless Go works like this: when you place your hand on the handle the car instantaneously sends signals looking for the key in the immediate vicinity of the car. If it detects it, the car will either unlock or lock depending on how you are touching the handle. You can test this with another person. If you are standing with someone next to your car, but they are the ones touching the handle, the car will still open if the key is close enough.

I keep the key out of my pocket when washing because I like to pull out the door handle when locked to be able to wash the recess there. Leaving the key away makes sure that I don't open the door by accident.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
I forgot to also mention that MB's Keyless Go system is superior to some other makes because it doesn't require that you pull the handle twice. It uses more advanced (and probably more expensive) touch sensors to detect your hand. Some other cars make you pull on the handle once to unlock and then again to actually open the doors. The touch sensors in the MB handles allow you to unlock and open the door by pulling only once.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:25 PM

2009 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by pmb600
I forgot to also mention that MB's Keyless Go system is superior to some other makes because it doesn't require that you pull the handle twice. It uses more advanced (and probably more expensive) touch sensors to detect your hand. Some other cars make you pull on the handle once to unlock and then again to actually open the doors. The touch sensors in the MB handles allow you to unlock and open the door by pulling only once.
I love how Mercedes takes everything into consideration.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 E63 Obsidiant Black; '06 R350 Alabaster White; 05 C55 Obsidiant Black (sold)
And I love the Keyless go on the W212. So far this is the best system I'v seen so far. Locking & unlocking the car is so effortless now, and I don't mind looking at the chromed handle every time I do it I gotta say it's very well designed.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:35 PM

2007 E550 4-Matic
One other tip is that if your windows and roof are open you can use that little black square on the door handle to lock (and if you hold down) close all the windows and roof too.

Conversely, if you push and hold the little square for a couple seconds (you will hear the doors lock) then squeeze the inside of the handle it will open all the windows and turn on the seat ventilation. Nice on hot days...
Old 06-01-2010, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
2023 Range Rover, 2020 MB S450
Originally Posted by K-A
I'm under the impression that it does. However, have been skeptical as when I pull the handle of my car to get in, no chirp/lights, etc. I keep wondering if perhaps my simply walking away from the car isn't locking it as I thought it was.

Today I put my key in a relatively far away area from the car, walked up to the car (with no key), and what do you know, the doors are still unlocked.

How does you guys' Keyless work? For now I'm figuring I have to manually lock it with the KeyFob, then do the Keyless route for opening/starting, etc.
I'm sorry if I'm asking stupid question, but - Have you bought or leased 2010 E class ??? ....You ?? The person who was criticizing E class more than everybody else ?? ........F***....You killed my opinion about you )))
Old 06-01-2010, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
K-A wasn't critisizing the W212 as much as convincing himself that he still liked his W211. Now that he's got his *** in the W212 he has become a die hard fan. Read his posts, he is a new man.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:55 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by aeggroup
I'm sorry if I'm asking stupid question, but - Have you bought or leased 2010 E class ??? ....You ?? The person who was criticizing E class more than everybody else ?? ........F***....You killed my opinion about you )))

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ed-s550-2.html
Old 06-01-2010, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
2023 Range Rover, 2020 MB S450
Pics please....

I saw pics....nice car..congrats...enjoy....

Last edited by aeggroup; 06-01-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:06 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Thanks man! The long and drawn out process of how this happened is all included in that Thread, if you have a few hours, haha.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:51 PM

2010 E63, Iridium Silver, Black, Dark Ash, Distronic Plus, Night Vision, Premium
Originally Posted by K-A
Interesting thought, being how this key seems to send
enough of a current through your body
to allow your simple touch to call an
order to the cars electronics to lock/unlock, I wonder if there may be any long
term side effects to that. ...
You ARE just kidding, arent you?

Old 06-02-2010, 10:55 PM

2010 E350 1999 Ninja ZX7R 2006 Ninja ZX10R
Only harmful to laboratory rats .
Old 06-05-2010, 03:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
It doesn't relock car if you unlocked it and didn't enter.

I do not consider MB system as superior. My BMW system seems better, for example I can leave fob in car and lock it with metallic part key from fob. You can't do that with MB, as you left fob in a car, anybody can enter in car, ther is no way to lock car, unless you shield fob in metallic box.

I also notice that MB systen doesn't change seat position and radio station in dependency which key was used to unlock car. BMW works smarter, if wife unlocj car, then it tunes to classical music, if I, then hard rock. Seat and mirrors also got adjusted and AC temperature.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:06 PM

2010 E550 4M Arctic White, P2, Pano, Park, Sport, Drive Dynamic, Trunk Spoiler, Rear Deck Spoiler
wow! that is impressive! didnt know. ill try it out tonight!!
Old 06-05-2010, 05:08 PM

2010 E550 4M Arctic White, P2, Pano, Park, Sport, Drive Dynamic, Trunk Spoiler, Rear Deck Spoiler
Originally Posted by FT Benz
One other tip is that if your windows and roof are open you can use that little black square on the door handle to lock (and if you hold down) close all the windows and roof too.

Conversely, if you push and hold the little square for a couple seconds (you will hear the doors lock) then squeeze the inside of the handle it will open all the windows and turn on the seat ventilation. Nice on hot days...

wow! thats impressive! willl try it out tonight!
thanx
Old 06-05-2010, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Dema
It doesn't relock car if you unlocked it and didn't enter.

I do not consider MB system as superior. My BMW system seems better, for example I can leave fob in car and lock it with metallic part key from fob. You can't do that with MB, as you left fob in a car, anybody can enter in car, ther is no way to lock car, unless you shield fob in metallic box.

I also notice that MB systen doesn't change seat position and radio station in dependency which key was used to unlock car. BMW works smarter, if wife unlocj car, then it tunes to classical music, if I, then hard rock. Seat and mirrors also got adjusted and AC temperature.
Why would you want to leave the key in the car and lock with the metal key?
Old 06-06-2010, 03:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by pmb600
Why would you want to leave the key in the car and lock with the metal key?
If you're a surfer. Electronic fobs create an issue; you have to stash them somewhere, you can't put them in your wetsuit. Keeping the fob in the car and being able to use the metal key solves the problem.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

pmb600, to add to my post above: it's a real problem and I wish I could lock the fob in the car with no issue. A work-around are these sorts of locks but if it's near the car, and you have keyless go, then it's not an option: http://www.tribalsurf.net/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=722

But another option is to take out the battery in the smartkey and then leave it in the car. One thing you have to sort of worry about is if somebody breaks into the car and can drive it away since the fob is in there.

Another I've tried is wrapping the fob in tinfoil to keep it from emitting a signal. I tried it once but it didn't work(?) Anybody here successful? Maybe if somebody made a small metal box that does this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

Both removing the battery or wrapping it in foil is a PITA anyway. If you could simply leave it in the car and use the metal key, (like Dema said) that would be ideal.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Does Keyless Go automatically Lock the doors for you?