MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   Multifunction display (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/366027-multifunction-display.html)

pickens95 09-05-2010 02:24 PM

Multifunction display

When driving, I have my multifunction display showing simply the odometer. However, when I turn the key off, the display changes showing the pressure in each of the tires.:nix: Did not do this until a few weeks ago. Any suggestions as to what is taking place. Look forward to the expertise on this site. Thank You.

mg-E550 09-05-2010 05:39 PM

stupid question - but are the tires low on pressure or at least out of whack with the recommended pressure. does it say "correct tire pressure"?

pickens95 09-05-2010 06:11 PM

mg-E555:

Thank you for your quick response. Certainly not a bad question, but no, the tires are not out of whack, mid 30's on the front and low 40's on two rears. No message stating "correct tire pressure". Wondering if it is one of those "electronic bugs" at play ?? Hope this post will attract the attention of a few others and they will jump in with their thoughts. Thanks again.

pb_mb 09-05-2010 06:25 PM

Have you tried pressing 'ok' on the steering wheel? Might be a stupid simple suggestion but most of the stuff that pops up like low fuel or any other warning goes away by pressing 'ok'.

If not I don't think this is the best solution until you explore everything else that people post... but maybe try doing the factory reset on the computer. It's pretty easy to get your phone hooked back up and getting all the contacts back. You may have to set up a few other things over which may take a few minutes but at least maybe that message will be gone.

Nevada Jack 09-05-2010 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by pickens95 (Post 4235736)
When driving, I have my multifunction display showing simply the odometer. However, when I turn the key off, the display changes showing the pressure in each of the tires.:nix: Did not do this until a few weeks ago. Any suggestions as to what is taking place. Look forward to the expertise on this site. Thank You.

Mine does the same thing but my pressures need correcting. Go into settings and there may be a selection?

K-A 09-05-2010 09:28 PM

Maybe the pressure is too high? Sounds kind of high to me.

All I know is, I lowered mine from mid-high 30's to low 30's (cold), and the ride feels a bit nicer, and I don't have to cringe as much when I get any of the many road imperfections. MPG is probably a bit worse, but if this ride-improvement thing isn't only in my head, it's definitely worth it to me.

Nevada Jack 09-05-2010 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by K-A (Post 4236222)

All I know is, I lowered mine from mid-high 30's to low 30's (cold), and the ride feels a bit nicer, and I don't have to cringe as much when I get any of the many road imperfections. MPG is probably a bit worse, but if this ride-improvement thing isn't only in my head, it's definitely worth it to me.

Hey K-A... I do the same. Run roughly 33 front and 35 rear and the ride is very comfortable, as is the handling.

K-A 09-05-2010 09:53 PM

Nice. I think I went too far though, mine are at about 31F/32R when cold, and about 32/33 F and 33-34-35 when warm. I wonder if being 18's differs from how you have yours set on the 17's?

I might add another couple of lbs on them when I get a sec. With these roads, I don't mind being a bit low though. I had 35 on my fronts before, and when I hit some hard road, it felt like the tires were made of rock.

Nevada Jack 09-05-2010 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by K-A (Post 4236247)
Nice. I think I went too far though, mine are at about 31F/32R when cold, and about 32/33 F and 33-34-35 when warm. I wonder if being 18's differs from how you have yours set on the 17's?

I might add another couple of lbs on them when I get a sec. With these roads, I don't mind being a bit low though. I had 35 on my fronts before, and when I hit some hard road, it felt like the tires were made of rock.

I think the recommended on the gas door is 30 front and 33 rear... so I am running a little higher. With the little firmer suspension on the AMG trim, a higher pressure will probably firm up the ride.

pickens95 09-06-2010 08:09 PM

Nevada Jack, K_A, PB MB, Thank you for your posts. Have pressed the "OK" button, returned to factory settings and still tire pressure appears on the multifunction display when turning the ignition key to "off". Am going to adjust each of the tires tomorrow to the recommended pressure on the driver side doorjam and then access the appropriate setting menu. Appreciate all the input.

Johnny Mo 09-07-2010 08:48 AM

Tire pressure

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack (Post 4236252)
I think the recommended on the gas door is 30 front and 33 rear... so I am running a little higher. With the little firmer suspension on the AMG trim, a higher pressure will probably firm up the ride.

I don't see that on mine at all, I'll have to pay closer attention, didn't even play with it enough to see the tire pressures. AS for mine - I noticed they looked a bit low, so I rang'em out and sure enough 30 all around...recommended is 35 front 42 rear so set them up right...no noticeable degradation in comfort...but then again I prefer a stiffer/sportier ride.

K-A 09-07-2010 09:07 AM

The 35/42 thing is a big misconception a lot of people seem to feel is the proper tire pressure.

I believe that is the "max weight" (i.e car filled to its maximum weight capabilities: Human/Luggage, etc.) pressure, as 33/35 is what is recommended for our cars. 42 on the rears will probably get you some massive wear on the insides/middle of the tires.

petee1997 09-07-2010 10:18 AM

K-A is right. 42lbs rear tire pressure is for maximum load. Also the ride would be terrible under normal circumstances.
My Porshe is 42 frt,49 rear. After a few hours in that car half my fillings fall out.

Johnny Mo 09-07-2010 09:47 PM

Tire Pressure

Originally Posted by petee1997 (Post 4238128)
K-A is right. 42lbs rear tire pressure is for maximum load. Also the ride would be terrible under normal circumstances.
My Porshe is 42 frt,49 rear. After a few hours in that car half my fillings fall out.

Must be a german car thing...inside door (b-pillar) gives max inflation pressure, but isn't really clear that that's what it is referencing...owners manual (p371) says to look there, but then door pillar says to look inside gas cap which gives the "Normal" load PSI 32Fr 33Rr and MAX Load PSI 35Fr/42Rr figures...In my Lexus it was providing both in the door pillar - sorry for the confusion guys.

K-A 09-08-2010 12:10 AM

Yeah, M-B should be way more specific and clear about that. Too much PSI is frankly dangerous.

I just raised mine up a few PSI, around 34F/35R right now. Feels about just right now.

pickens95 09-10-2010 11:36 AM

Want to thank everyone again for their responses. Did solve the problem with the tire pressure showing when I turned off the key. Adjusted the tire pressure according to the door pilar and found the re-set or memory option under tire pressure on the multi-functon display. Clicked "OK" for new pressure to the memory and tire pressure no longer showed when turning the key to the "OFF" position. Issue solved. Good reading on each of your posts regarding tire pressure.

El Cid 09-10-2010 04:34 PM

Strange

Originally Posted by K-A (Post 4236222)

My Luxury was delivered with 33F/42R and dealer said that is correct. manual was very confusing as it said 33/42 was correct and then three paragraphs later said it was for FULL LOAD. "B" Pillar also said 33/42
At tire rotation, service person lowered to 30/35 which is what is on the fuel filler lid label for Normal. Rides better and so far MPG is better!
There is a discussion on this forum re: TP's.