MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   Rear Wheel well liner (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/366051-rear-wheel-well-liner.html)

Tjdehya 09-05-2010 06:08 PM

Rear Wheel well liner

3 Attachment(s)
Just a quick question. Do you guys mind running out to your car to see what kind of material is used for your rear wheel well liner. On mine it’s the same material that is used on the inside of the trunk and not plastic which is used on every car I have ever owned and also there is plastic in the front wheel well. Thanks.
If this is what they are using for W212 does anyone know why?

dynomite05 09-05-2010 06:24 PM

Welcome to MB, mine is the same way.

Tjdehya 09-05-2010 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by dynomite05 (Post 4236012)
Welcome to MB, mine is the same way.

lol ty. I dont think My W211 was like that, or maybe I never noticed. I guess I have to find a way to get a vacum up there. :nix: lol

pb_mb 09-05-2010 06:34 PM

same here

220S 09-05-2010 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Tjdehya (Post 4236021)
lol ty. I dont think My W211 was like that, or maybe I never noticed. I guess I have to find a way to get a vacum up there. :nix: lol

fwiw, mine has hard plastic on all four corners. Riveted and also bolted with vents on the lower rears and fronts.

I'm really surprised that Dynomite's CLK isn't plastic, either. :nix:

Aside from cost savings, does it matter? I'm sure the fuzz must be water proof otherwise it'll melt right off. :eek:

dynomite05 09-05-2010 07:20 PM

I'm not sure why they did it. I have plastic in the front...

K-A 09-05-2010 08:30 PM

Yeah I noticed that too.

The W212 puts plastic where carpet used to be on the inside, but carpet on the wheel wells to replace the plastic that used to be there, lol.

Maybe it helps with sound insulation? Makes me wonder how it'll hold up in the long run.

dynomite05 09-05-2010 08:33 PM

6 years on mine and it's in great condition.

K-A 09-05-2010 08:53 PM

Nice. I'm sure it's engineered for the long haul.

I wonder if there's any benefit to the carpet VS plastic.

Nevada Jack 09-05-2010 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Tjdehya (Post 4235999)
Just a quick question. Do you guys mind running out to your car to see what kind of material is used for your rear wheel well liner. On mine it’s the same material that is used on the inside of the trunk and not plastic which is used on every car I have ever owned and also there is plastic in the front wheel well. Thanks.
If this is what they are using for W212 does anyone know why?

This is by design. Read sometime ago (years) that this material serves several purposes. Sound insulation and also corrosion resistance... it can be cleaned just like any wheelwell.

K-A 09-05-2010 09:26 PM

Yeah, sound insulation seems like a nice and definite plus from it.

220S 09-05-2010 10:09 PM

http://www.autofieldguide.com/articles/079904.html

Start at paragraph beginning under "A Product."

For those who don't like to read:

"....the new liners have greater sound-deadening properties and weigh up to 50% less than the plastic ones, don't retain water like the carpet ones, and are designed to last up to 10 years."

Tjdehya 09-05-2010 11:46 PM

I don’t really care it just seemed odd that all four wheel wells weren’t the same. I am just getting picky now because I have 2 defects on a $60k+ car and this just seemed like it might be #3. My W211 was flawless I drove it off the dealer lot and never returned till a year later for an oil change. I can’t say the same for this car and it’s not even 2 weeks old yet.

220S 09-06-2010 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Tjdehya (Post 4236369)
I don’t really care it just seemed odd that all four wheel wells weren’t the same. I am just getting picky now because I have 2 defects on a $60k+ car and this just seemed like it might be #3. My W211 was flawless I drove it off the dealer lot and never returned till a year later for an oil change. I can’t say the same for this car and it’s not even 2 weeks old yet.

Just pure speculation, but I'm guessing it's plastic on the fronts because of potential heat issues (as an aside, Ferrari has now determined that the new Italias are catching fire because of an adhesive used in the wheel wells.)

What are the two defects? Have they been resolved? fwiw, my W211 has had no issues since May of 2009 when I bought it new. 19k on it now. Knock on wood. I'll see what happens in another year and another 19k or so.

K-A 09-06-2010 06:50 AM

What are the defects?

Nevada Jack 09-06-2010 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Tjdehya (Post 4236369)

????

Tjdehya 09-06-2010 08:19 AM

Well the simple one is the right side of the hood won’t close. I have done everything but jump on it. The major one is the steering wheel vibrates. The dealership spent a day with it and they were clueless. Changed tires, changed wheels, checked alignment, checked struts etc. They get a second shot at fixing it tomorrow.

dynomite05 09-06-2010 08:20 AM

That sucks

K-A 09-06-2010 08:25 AM

Yeah, that sucks. I'm afraid to even open my hood, with what I've heard about the "clamshell hood"'s slight problems with alignment/closing sometimes. Hopefully easy fixes. Wonder what the wheel might be. If they did a balance and tire check, then that would leave me to believe it's gotta be suspension related? Hopefully not.

HBerman 09-06-2010 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Tjdehya (Post 4236696)
Well the simple one is the right side of the hood won’t close. I have done everything but jump on it. The major one is the steering wheel vibrates. The dealership spent a day with it and they were clueless. Changed tires, changed wheels, checked alignment, checked struts etc. They get a second shot at fixing it tomorrow.

The trick to closing the hood is to slam it with both hands from a height of 1 foot above the fully closed point. Have you tried this? Do you have Active Driver Assist? The steering wheel will vibrate if enabled and you cross lane markings.

mathech 09-06-2010 07:12 PM

The carpet material is used to keep down the rain spray on the car behind you so they can see better. This technology has been used by some tractor trailers for years. Increases visibility.

blackbullit 09-07-2010 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by HBerman (Post 4237166)
The trick to closing the hood is to slam it with both hands from a height of 1 foot above the fully closed point. Have you tried this? Do you have Active Driver Assist? The steering wheel will vibrate if enabled and you cross lane markings.

Also, be sure to lubricate the hinges and latches on the hood. Mine came from factory quite dry and would not close until it met WD-40!!!!