E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

2011 E550 Steering wheel Vibration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Steering problem recall just announced today in the NYT on 2010-2011 W212 E Class cars:

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010...ng-problem/?hp

Maybe you'll get some relief through this?
Old 10-09-2010, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
If I right understood the article, the recall related to power steering, not really vibration source.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
C350 Elegance
Tjdehya:

Your predicament is not strange to thousands of buyers who had a bad experience at one time or another. Unfortunately you are right, it will be time consuming dealing with the issue but... I would take it as a plain case of fraud. NJ is the State housing MBUSA Hq, but it also is a State with good protection to consumers. It should be onerous in time to get to a satisfactory solution, but there is light visible at the end of the tunnel and it is not a train coming.

First of all, you should find a dealer established to gain business (knowledgeable and sympathetic to the customer's needs), and with a Service Department manned with more able people than your current one (In Delaware maybe?). Speak to the General Manager, show yourself as a loyal MB customer and prospective loyal customer to him (after you researched this dealer). See what they propose, and how they wish to tackle the situation with you and MB for the buy back or safe fix.

Parallel to this you should get on MBUSA to pressure your issue in writing and at a level way above flunky. Don't give up, get the car in tip top shape, enjoy it and develop a relationship with a dealer that is worth of your confidence.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:45 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
MY MAN!!!

AND EVERYONE ELSE...

lets start a damn electronic petition or SOMETHING to help this man out
with his call to Mercedes Benz!

You know?

It sounds cliche, but many voices put together cannot be ignored...
(or something cliche like that)

but really........at this point all anyone can do is commiserate with the user Tj...
and it pains me personally to have to know someone is being treated so poorly....
if a customer isn't satisfied, that just isn't right, especially at this level!

anyone?
Old 10-09-2010, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Mercedes-Benz E350 4matic
^^^I am with you hyper! I'll do it.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:44 PM

2013 Q7 S-Line, 2010 E350 Sport Sedan P1, 2005 Camry, 2008 Piaggio MP3 250, Sold: 02 C230, 90 Miata
Check out this MB recall at http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/10/10...roblem/?hpt=T2 ( I see 220S mentioned this too).

Tjdehya, I don't believe this recall applies to you, but still wanted to share. Looks like the recall includes 2010 & 2011 E Class Coupes.

Last edited by vselva; 10-11-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:56 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
2020 GLE450 polar white AMG pkg.
Not so fast everyone. This thread has gone off on a wild tanget. I understand exactly what the OP is stating. Please read the following very carefully regarding steering wheel vibration issue.

All of the 2010+ E-Class vehicles have a standard feature called Attention Assist. The steering wheel is designed to vibrate to alert you, based on your driving habits, that your behavior is indicative of a drowsy, or otherwise inattentive driver.

Now, in order to engineer this feature, the mechanical engineers at MB have designed the center hub of the steering wheel to be "loosely suspended / softly supported" configuration with shock mounts that resonate at low frequencies. This design will greatly exaggerate the Attention Assist feature, which is actually driven by a small electric motor and shakes the center hub! As a softly suspended mass, the steering wheel ring itself will feel totally stable / normal; however the center hub will behave as if it picks up every slight imperfection in the pavement even during normal driving . It's almost as if the natural resonance is tuned for low frequencies, so as to provide the greatest displacement when Attention Assist is activated. This is, in fact, the tactile feedback you are sensing! My steering wheel behaves much the same way, most of the time it feels as if it's buzzing, even though the main steering wheel / column is rock-solid.

According to Dominic Cinalli, general manager of Mercedes-Benz of North Olmsted, “Attention assist is an active system that monitors various driving habits such as how you steer, hit the brakes, accelerate, and stay within your lane. If you start to deviate from your normal driving habits, the system will display a large coffee cup, beep three times and shake the steering wheel to let you know that you are becoming drowsy or inattentive.”

Also, FYI, "active lane-keeping assist" offerered on some models uses a multi-purpose camera that’s mounted in the windshield and a computer that analyzes the images. It recognizes lane markings and alerts the driver by simulating rumble strip vibrations in the steering wheel, via an electric motor, if the car drifts from its lane unintentionally.

Once you understand what is happening, you may begin to realize that the folks are MB are correct; "there is nothing wrong" because that is how it is designed." These are safety features designed to keep you alive. In fact, I believe you can disable the Attention Assist feature through the menu system, and turn the coffee cup icon off, but I suspect the natural frequency of the center hub will still behave as before. I think if you polled the owners on this board, most will admit their car behaves the same way; some may find it minor annoyance, others may not care, others may not have even noticed...

Of course, if the steering wheel feedback is something you cannot live with, then by all means pursue remediation with your dealer. Suggest you test drive another model and see how it compares with yours.

Last edited by mm9351; 10-12-2010 at 11:07 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:06 AM

E 550
Not sure if this is what you're feeling, but I felt a high frequency vibration on the center part of steering whee (2011 e550)l. I would describe almost like a "buzzing" sensation. Only felt it when part of my hand touched center part. That was present for about the first few hundred miles. Now at 800+ it is thankfully gone. In retrospect I just consider it part of the break in period for this new car.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by mm9351
"there is nothing wrong" because that is how it is designed." These are safety features designed to keep you alive.
f-ing Genius! MB has done it! What better way to assure that the driver never falls asleep?!? Lets have the steering wheel vibrate and annoy the driver so that he never enjoys driving the car and therefore make it impossible for him to fall asleep at the wheel!!! Oh yea and lets only install this in ONE vehicle and sell it to that TJdehya dude on the MBworld forum.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 553 Likes on 376 Posts
2024 AMG EQE SUV , 2021 E63S Wagon - gone, 2018 E63S Sedan - gone
Once you understand what is happening, you may begin to realize that the folks are MB are correct; "there is nothing wrong" because that is how it is designed." These are safety features designed to keep you alive. In fact, I believe you can disable the Attention Assist feature through the menu system, and turn the coffee cup icon off, but I suspect the natural frequency of the center hub will still behave as before. I think if you polled the owners on this board, most will admit their car behaves the same way; some may find it minor annoyance, others may not care, others may not have even noticed...

Of course, if the steering wheel feedback is something you cannot live with, then by all means pursue remediation with your dealer. Suggest you test drive another model and see how it compares with yours.
Exsqueeze me! The issue isn't just vibration in the wheel, but also vibration being felt at speed through the floor. Attention assist comes into play after a 20 minute period, not when the car is started. It does NOT shake the steering wheel, but sounds a warning tone and a message display. The only systems that shake the wheel are from the active driver assist features such as Blind Spot assist or Lane Keeping Assist. Oh, and this car DOES NOT have those features installed. There is another explanation, just not the one that you have proposed.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:22 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
2020 GLE450 polar white AMG pkg.
Originally Posted by HBerman
Exsqueeze me! The issue isn't just vibration in the wheel, but also vibration being felt at speed through the floor. Attention assist comes into play after a 20 minute period, not when the car is started. It does NOT shake the steering wheel, but sounds a warning tone and a message display. The only systems that shake the wheel are from the active driver assist features such as Blind Spot assist or Lane Keeping Assist. Oh, and this car DOES NOT have those features installed. There is another explanation, just not the one that you have proposed.
I was responding to the OP and not your specific problem. There was no mention of vibration beyond the steering wheel. Sounds like your vehicle has other issues.

The fact that your vehicle does or doesn't have Lane Keeping /Blind Spot assist is irrelevant; the steering wheel hub may resonate over different speeds / road surfaces; with MB using the same center hub design...standard or sport wheel... on all W212s... with or without those options.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 553 Likes on 376 Posts
2024 AMG EQE SUV , 2021 E63S Wagon - gone, 2018 E63S Sedan - gone
I was responding to the OP and not your specific problem. There was no mention of vibration beyond the steering wheel. Sounds like your vehicle has other issues.

The fact that your vehicle does or doesn't have Lane Keeping /Blind Spot assist is irrelevant; the steering wheel hub may resonate over different speeds / road surfaces; with MB using the same center hub design...standard or sport wheel... on all W212s... with or without those options.
I do not have a problem with my vehicle, the OP has the issue
Please go back and read the entire thread.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Not so fast everyone. This thread has gone off on a wild tanget. I understand exactly what the OP is stating. Please read the following very carefully regarding steering wheel vibration issue.
You're right, and now you've taken it off on a wild goose chase.

Tjdehya, since you mentioned the following, then your dealer seems to be admitting something, yes (?) Sounds like some major harmonic distortion going on.
So I spoke with the Maintenance rep again yesterday, he took the car out for a spin again and evidently the vibration can now be felt through the floor of the car, the same vibration that is felt through the wheel. So it seems that this problem is just getting worse the more you drive it.
fwiw, in the past I've taken cars that are still under warranty to an Indy mechanic when the dealer can't seem to figure anything out. It was just worth it to me to pay and get another opinion. The trouble with dealers is that they have to be sure that they get rebated by MBUSA for any diagnostic work, otherwise they pay out of their own pocket. The Indy knows he/she is getting paid and can sometimes do a better job at the diagnosis. It might be worth a $150 for a couple hours of having a good Indy looking at it. Also sometimes Indies are just smarter at trouble shooting.

Good luck.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
220S you are absolutely right. The dealer doesn't get paid unless he finds a problem. In this case he has acknowledged a problem but no solution therefore he must get MB to OK more time or no pay. What he should be doing is diagnosis by elimination but MB won't pay for all this testing. The people who approve the claims are programmed like a computer and they seldom deviate from policy. This guy must move up the food chain at MB where they are allowed to think. This may require a push to become a shove. Been there,done that.
It's too bad because I thought MB had changed their policy to satisfaction at any cost.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by petee1997
220S you are absolutely right. The dealer doesn't get paid unless he finds a problem. In this case he has acknowledged a problem but no solution therefore he must get MB to OK more time or no pay. What he should be doing is diagnosis by elimination but MB won't pay for all this testing. The people who approve the claims are programmed like a computer and they seldom deviate from policy. This guy must move up the food chain at MB where they are allowed to think. This may require a push to become a shove. Been there,done that.
It's too bad because I thought MB had changed their policy to satisfaction at any cost.
That's exactly right. I had a conversation during a lunch with my local dealer's service manager. He was complaining about not being able to deviate from MB protocol and how frustrating that was sometimes for his techs. Any time on the clock spent doing warranty work outside of strict MB protocol is money out of the dealer's pocket. He told me that he has several cases where they are still waiting to get rebated and those cases are over a year old.

Some people don't understand that the dealer is an individual franchise. But unlike an Indy, they can't simply use intuition and start doing any creative diagnosis outside of MB's parameters. The Indy can be much more of a trouble shooter and creative repair person because he/she can go "outside the box" and still get paid.

There are benefits the dealers have being a franchise (manufacturer's support, etc.) but at the same time they also have many constraints.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
It looks like the feature was bad designed or over engineered. Since some people report as vibration of central part gone with getting more miles on a car. OP reports like the feature took not only central part and spread to entire steering wheels and the rest of the car. In my case, central part still has vibration and it has no changes with car mileage. I have 3,500 now.
mm9351, thanks for clarification. New 5 series have a similar feature, however it seems designed differently, since no any wheel part vibration at all at normal driving.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC

All of the 2010+ E-Class vehicles have a standard feature called Attention Assist. The steering wheel is designed to vibrate to alert you, based on your driving habits, that your behavior is indicative of a drowsy, or otherwise inattentive driver.

Now, in order to engineer this feature, the mechanical engineers at MB have designed the center hub of the steering wheel to be "loosely suspended / softly supported" configuration with shock mounts that resonate at low frequencies. This design will greatly exaggerate the Attention Assist feature, which is actually driven by a small electric motor and shakes the center hub! As a softly suspended mass, the steering wheel ring itself will feel totally stable / normal; however the center hub will behave as if it picks up every slight imperfection in the pavement even during normal driving . It's almost as if the natural resonance is tuned for low frequencies, so as to provide the greatest displacement when Attention Assist is activated. This is, in fact, the tactile feedback you are sensing! My steering wheel behaves much the same way, most of the time it feels as if it's buzzing, even though the main steering wheel / column is rock-solid.

According to Dominic Cinalli, general manager of Mercedes-Benz of North Olmsted, “Attention assist is an active system that monitors various driving habits such as how you steer, hit the brakes, accelerate, and stay within your lane. If you start to deviate from your normal driving habits, the system will display a large coffee cup, beep three times and shake the steering wheel to let you know that you are becoming drowsy or inattentive.”

Also, FYI, "active lane-keeping assist" offerered on some models uses a multi-purpose camera that’s mounted in the windshield and a computer that analyzes the images. It recognizes lane markings and alerts the driver by simulating rumble strip vibrations in the steering wheel, via an electric motor, if the car drifts from its lane unintentionally.

There seems to be some misinformation that has started here. The Attention Assist feature does not vibrate the steering wheel. The optional Driver Assistance Package which includes Lane Keeping Assist will vibrate the steering wheel if the car detects you leaving your lane without using the turn signal.

This quote from the General Manager of a dealership is completely wrong.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:26 AM

2010 E550 4matic, 2008 MDX, 2011 335i Vert
Echo pmb600's point. I've had attention assist go off several times and there is no vibration. Just dings and the big coffee cup (hoping the next version makes the coffee for me cuz there was no civilized coffee shop for miles!!)
Old 10-17-2010, 08:35 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by mg-E550
Echo pmb600's point. I've had attention assist go off several times and there is no vibration. Just dings and the big coffee cup (hoping the next version makes the coffee for me cuz there was no civilized coffee shop for miles!!)
Weird, I finally was able to experience the hoopla around "Attention Assist", and might I say, it was disappointing in more ways than one.

For one thing, I wasn't dozing off at all, so it more of less was telling me that it notices my hands moving on and off the wheel (was grabbing something both time, so some very minor correctional "jolts" occurred.

Secondly, it's such a weak beep.... Perhaps that is for not startling someone, but it doesn't seem like it'd do much to someone dozing off. Also, the wheel indeed DOES NOT vibrate, which is very upsetting, as I thought it would, and that would probably do more good than a little beep.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
K-A the steering wheel vibration is a function of the lane change assist. It appears that each feature has it's own alert signal. Canadian cars are offered the option of lane change and blind spot assist for $800.00. I have it and it works very well.
We also have the advanced driver assist option like the US, which is $2700.00. Most people pass on it because of the price but the $800.00 option is very popular.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:05 PM

2013 Q7 S-Line, 2010 E350 Sport Sedan P1, 2005 Camry, 2008 Piaggio MP3 250, Sold: 02 C230, 90 Miata
Tjdehya, let us know if there is any progress with your issue.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 GL450
Originally Posted by K-A
Secondly, it's such a weak beep.... Perhaps that is for not startling someone, but it doesn't seem like it'd do much to someone dozing off. Also, the wheel indeed DOES NOT vibrate, which is very upsetting, as I thought it would, and that would probably do more good than a little beep.

I have had no direct experience with attention assist, but my experience with simply driving with the parking brake on suggests there might be more to attention assist than you experienced.

When I first got my car, I was overloaded with everything. I was not used to the car, not used to driving a big (for me) car, etc. One time at the mall, I had apparently brushed the parking brake while getting in the car, something I still do on occasion. I drove off with the car gently ding-dinging, but did not notice in my overwhelmed state. Finally, the car had enough: It briefly cut the engine power, turned off my radio, and gave a really loud DING-DING. Believe me, it had my attention!

I don't remember where I read or heard this, but my understanding is that the attention assist can and will do things like turn up the radio really loud, turn on the AC full blast, open the windows, etc.

Perhaps, since it had your attention, it did not feel the need to resort to more extreme measures.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:54 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Really? Can anyone confirm that about Attention Assist?

THAT would be awesome! I would understand and agree with the whole features process of alerting you in that case.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Originally Posted by ttoE550
I don't remember where I read or heard this, but my understanding is that the attention assist can and will do things like turn up the radio really loud, turn on the AC full blast, open the windows, etc.
None of this is accurate. ATTENTION ASSIST is simply a feature that monitors your inputs in an attempt to determine if you are falling asleep at the wheel. If it perceives your inputs as such, it will show a reminder on the instrument cluster LCD to "take a break".

OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE

Overtiredness is one of the most frequent accident causes in holiday traffic: Mercedes-Benz to introduce Attention Assist into series production in spring 2009

Stuttgart - Accident researchers at Mercedes-Benz are acutely aware of the danger in nodding off at the wheel (the "one-second nap"). In the view of these specialists, long holiday journeys without intermediate breaks involve a high risk of overtiredness, whose signs drivers often fail to notice in time. For this reason Mercedes-Benz has developed the innovative driver support system Attention Assist. This is able to recognise driver fatigue at an early stage, and warn the driver that a break is called for soon. The system will enter series production in spring 2009.

Scientific studies indicate that around 25 percent of all serious accidents occurring on motorways are caused by overtired drivers. In other words, this accident cause is of even more significance than driving under the influence of alcohol.

During long-distance journeys in the dark, or under unchanging conditions at a constant cruising speed, the risk of the "one-second nap" is greatest because the driver's attention lapses and monotony increases the danger of falling asleep even further. Studies have shown that the reaction times of drivers can be 50 percent longer after only four hours of non-stop driving. The risk of an accident is doubled after this length of time, and after six hours of driving it is no less than eight times as high.

With the newly developed Attention Assist, Mercedes-Benz is continuing its practically-oriented commitment to accident prevention as already demonstrated by e.g. the Electronic Stability Program (ESP®) and Brake Assist, which have already led to a measurable improvement in traffic safety.

Attention Assist monitors the driving behaviour of the driver, generating an individual driver profile which is constantly compared to a flow of sensor data. This continuous monitoring is important, so that the system can recognise the driver's transition from alertness to drowsiness and warn him in good time.

Steering characteristics as the most important indicator of fatigue

In addition to the vehicle speed and linear/lateral acceleration, the Mercedes system also registers e.g. steering wheel movements, indicator and pedal operation, plus a number of specific control operations and external influences such as side winds or uneven road surfaces. Monitoring the driver's steering behaviour has proved to be particularly relevant, as an overtired driver has difficulty in keeping the vehicle precisely on track. He makes minor steering errors which are often quickly corrected in a characteristic manner. Intensive tests by Mercedes engineers involving more than 550 male and female drivers have shown that this effect already commences during an early phase of the onset of fatigue – usually before the highly dangerous "one-second nap".

The heart of the Mercedes system is an extremely sensitive sensor that enables the steering movements and their speed to be monitored very precisely.

During the first few minutes of each journey, Attention Assist uses these data to compile an individual driver behaviour pattern which is constantly compared with the current steering behaviour and driving situation by the onboard electronic control unit. This enables the system to recognise the typical signs of overtiredness and warn the driver accordingly. This is done by an acoustic signal and a display in the instrument cluster with the clear-cut advice: "Attention Assist. Break!"

Last edited by YYZ-E55; 10-19-2010 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 GL450
Originally Posted by YYZ-E55
None of this is accurate. ATTENTION ASSIST is simply a feature that monitors your inputs in an attempt to determine if you are falling asleep at the wheel. If it perceives your inputs as such, it will show a reminder on the instrument cluster LCD to "take a break".
Yeah, I did a little googling and suspect it is inaccurate. I think I have it confused with another car's system, as I also thought the MB uses infrared, but it apparently does not. Actually, thinking about it, I am pretty sure a horrible, horrible salesperson at a MB dealership (from whom I did not purchase the car) might have given me the bad info, along with some other bad info.

But hey, it'll get your attention if you drive with the parking brake on!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2011 E550 Steering wheel Vibration