MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   Interior rattles, noises and/or creaking sounds? (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/370385-interior-rattles-noises-creaking-sounds.html)

C280 Sport 10-29-2013 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by PeterUbers (Post 5826701)
At 1600 miles, I have a thermal plasticky creaking when the AC comes on, or the heat (nowadays) that happens once during the whole drive... seems to come from the roofliner. Occasional creaks over larger bumps in the dash center console area -- also some creaking from drivers side belt buckle receptacle. Had a creaking in the steering column, the whole column was replaced under warranty and resolved this issue.

I have the sport suspension, no airmatic to drown out all harshness with the boaty cushion ride...

Do you have the coupe or sedan? I know the sedans all have airmatic right?

K-A 10-30-2013 04:08 AM

W211's were considered rattle traps by many owners as well, mine being one of them, though I don't remember mine having as harsh a suspension as either of my Sport W212's. For some reason the "eventual rattle" issue has become somewhat of an E Class tradition in modern times for M-B, though I'm not sure about the W210.

C280 Sport 11-04-2013 09:56 AM

Rattles

Originally Posted by K-A (Post 5827372)
W211's were considered rattle traps by many owners as well, mine being one of them, though I don't remember mine having as harsh a suspension as either of my Sport W212's. For some reason the "eventual rattle" issue has become somewhat of an E Class tradition in modern times for M-B, though I'm not sure about the W210.

So far my W212 has been very good but I am developing something in the center area near the A/C Vents and climate control area. Not sure where it is coming from. My W210 is still very solid. Some minor noise here and there but felt takes great care of that.:y

Muenstermania 11-11-2013 09:18 PM

I have a 2012 w212 with left a pillar and rear deck rattles. The rear sunshade was replaced
and it didn't help. I not sure the dealership has done anything about the a pillar rattle at all. Have had car in 4 times already for this alone without success.

mountainrivera 11-11-2013 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Muenstermania (Post 5840582)
I have a 2012 w212 with left a pillar and rear deck rattles. The rear sunshade was replaced
and it didn't help. I not sure the dealership has done anything about the a pillar rattle at all. Have had car in 4 times already for this alone without success.

How long can we expect support for rattles and such vs having to play the radio louder? :wall: Just brought in my CPO and the retorqued the panoramic roof so good for now.

billyb1 12-09-2013 10:07 AM

Pooping in panorama roof

Hi there...new to MB World. I have a 2010 E63 (CPO) and the popping sound in the roof is unreal. Entering a driveway at an angle, speed bump or pothole at slow speed causes 3-6 very loud popping sounds from the fixed section of the roof. Only had the car for about 6 months and the 3 MB dealers I have asked over the phone about this have never heard of it. I haven't had a chance to take the car in yet. Dealerships are about 2 hours away. Anyone had success treating this?

Arrie 12-09-2013 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by billyb1 (Post 5869248)
Hi there...new to MB World. I have a 2010 E63 (CPO) and the popping sound in the roof is unreal. Entering a driveway at an angle, speed bump or pothole at slow speed causes 3-6 very loud popping sounds from the fixed section of the roof. Only had the car for about 6 months and the 3 MB dealers I have asked over the phone about this have never heard of it. I haven't had a chance to take the car in yet. Dealerships are about 2 hours away. Anyone had success treating this?

I had it and the dealer said they had to lube the sun roof. I personally don't think it was a lube issue as the popping sound was so loud. Kind of a sound when a steel-to-steel surfaces slide under a bolt that is not torqued correctly.

But whatever they did fixed it as I have not heard it since almost a year ago.

chrisvr6 12-09-2013 10:54 AM

I really do think that rear deck rattles are the covers that conceal the baby seat anchors. I flipped all of them up just to experiment and it seems to not have the rattles any more.

Originally Posted by Muenstermania (Post 5840582)

Arrie 12-09-2013 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by chrisvr6 (Post 5869294)
I really do think that rear deck rattles are the covers that conceal the baby seat anchors. I flipped all of them up just to experiment and it seems to not have the rattles any more.

I have an opposing opinion. My baby seat tether anchor point covers do not cause rattles in my car. But I just found one big source for the noise. It is the center brake light assembly that seems to be loose from the rear deck cover.

chrisvr6 12-09-2013 07:16 PM

Oh wow! Going to check mine. You must live in Chicago like me. Crappy streets do not get along with this car.

Originally Posted by Arrie (Post 5869821)
I have an opposing opinion. My baby seat tether anchor point covers do not cause rattles in my car. But I just found one big source for the noise. It is the center brake light assembly that seems to be loose from the rear deck cover.

Arrie 12-09-2013 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by chrisvr6 (Post 5869827)
Oh wow! Going to check mine. You must live in Chicago like me. Crappy streets do not get along with this car.

We have some poor roads down south too...

I have had this rattle at all times. Also had it with the E350 I used to own and it always gets worse in cold weather. I was checking on that long speaker cover on the rear deck but everything is fine with that but then noticed how I can stop the rattle by holding my hand on that brake light assembly when lightly tapping on the deck cover with the other hand.

And it now makes perfect sense. In cold weather the plastic brake light assy shrinks more than the hole around it making it loose.

chrisvr6 12-09-2013 08:46 PM

You going to wedge some felt in there?

Arrie 12-09-2013 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by chrisvr6 (Post 5869940)
You going to wedge some felt in there?

I'm going to have my dealer look at it.

jmatero 12-09-2013 09:11 PM

They replaced my center light cover... They had to completely disassemble the rear deck... And the rattle is still there. I give up...

2006_C350 12-09-2013 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by billyb1 (Post 5869248)

Wedging some felt in between the body of the car and headliner will fix this problem. I had a 2013 with 6K miles that would do this and that's what the dealer did to fix the problem.

lunarx 12-12-2013 04:36 PM

That 3rd Brake Light is what my elusive rattle ended up being.
The dealer expended a lot of effort to anchor all the small loose parts inside the 3rd Brake Light Assembly.
It did the trick.

Just replacing it would probably just continue the same issue as I don't think it got redesigned, to the degree of what my dealer did to fix it.

Arrie 12-12-2013 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by lunarx (Post 5873105)
That 3rd Brake Light is what my elusive rattle ended up being.
The dealer expended a lot of effort to anchor all the small loose parts inside the 3rd Brake Light Assembly.
It did the trick.

Just replacing it would probably just continue the same issue as I don't think it got redesigned, to the degree of what my dealer did to fix it.

Thanks for the info. I also think the rattling sound comes from the inside of that brake light assembly and is just worse now when during colder weather the whole assembly seems to be loose.

usamuscle 12-12-2013 07:48 PM

I have a very low faint noise coming from the center radio/ nav area as well. Any ideas fellas ? Almost like radio engine noise. This is on my e550 2014

Arrie 12-20-2013 10:38 AM

Does anyone have instructions of how to take the rear deck apart?

I'm thinking now to tackle the center brake light rattling issue myself as I doubt the dealer will do a perfect job at it. It should not be that difficult job to do it myself, or is it?

lunarx 12-20-2013 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Arrie (Post 5881765)
Does anyone have instructions of how to take the rear deck apart?

I'm thinking now to tackle the center brake light rattling issue myself as I doubt the dealer will do a perfect job at it. It should not be that difficult job to do it myself, or is it?

I commend you on that.
I have an AllData subsctiption.
If you PM me your email I can send you what they have on it.
I can also send you a parts blow up from the EPC.

instantfob 12-20-2013 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by usamuscle (Post 5873322)
I have a very low faint noise coming from the center radio/ nav area as well. Any ideas fellas ? Almost like radio engine noise. This is on my e550 2014

Mine has that too.
It sounds like the harddrive seeking inside the COMMAND unit. I wish they used SSD in them. It's random too.
They car is so quiet around so we end up hearing little noise from the new technology

My car is at the shop now for this

LI91.40-P-057018 SEPT13 – 212, 176, 242, 246, 204, 117, 222 creaking noise from left or right front seat belt height adjustment mechanism, replace belt height adjuster.

T.H.Carrera 12-20-2013 12:51 PM

i have this noise that seems to me like wire hitting metal coming from under my driver seat ..... its so farking annoying.... I have the multi contour seat... anyone experience this ?

instantfob 12-20-2013 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by T.H.Carrera (Post 5881913)
i have this noise that seems to me like wire hitting metal coming from under my driver seat ..... its so farking annoying.... I have the multi contour seat... anyone experience this ?

Yes. I thought it was my fat rear making the seat creak but I tried doing the "family guy - bird dance" and that wasn't it. I'll trouble shoot that sound when they resolve my seatbelt adjuster area rattle. I'll have a pack of small cable ties ready. :naughty:

My previous 2012 had none of these rattles or creaks.

T.H.Carrera 12-20-2013 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by instantfob (Post 5881976)
Yes. I thought it was my fat rear making the seat creak but I tried doing the "family guy - bird dance" and that wasn't it. I'll trouble shoot that sound when they resolve my seatbelt adjuster area rattle. I'll have a pack of small cable ties ready. :naughty:

TEKTON 6235 Assorted Cable Ties, 200-Piece - Amazon.com

My previous 2012 had none of these rattles or creaks.

I did check under and saw this thick cable which if I moved made similar sound to the one i hear during drive so I wrapped it in thin foam until moving it did not make that sound but that noise is still there.

My door was creaking too when i rested my left arm on it but I fixed that by inserting a little rubber piece in the gap.

Let me know what you find.

instantfob 12-20-2013 02:33 PM

If the door creaks changes with weather/temp then I'd give the rubber door seals a nice clean wipe down and apply a thin lube of silicon grease.

(this product is the offical grease for S2000 convertible owners to keep the seals fresh and prevent dry rotting.)

It worked well on my wife's old E60 530i. Old school Mercedes used to use fabric covered weather seals and modern ones are pure rubber. Any dryness will make rubber on rubber creaks.