E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550
Old 06-12-2015, 07:21 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Interior rattles, noises and/or creaking sounds?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:59 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Knocking on wood again, even with the rough roads and Pano, I'm not getting any rattles, except for the mentioned occasional "squeek" from somewhere behind the wheel/inside the dash, which is a problem that isn't a technical rattle I believe (it's gonna be fun trying to get the Dealer to diagnose this.... Maybe impossible).

Sucks to hear that anyone is having rattle problems. It easily ruins the experience of driving/owning a car, and is difficult to get fixed on some occasions, at least without being extremely diligent with a Dealer, and being able to diagnose it/have it happen while in their presence.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:28 PM

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
2011 e350 wagon
Originally Posted by MagicJack
I am just over a year and ~ 17,000 miles.

I recently started to get a creaking noise from the front driver's side of the car when I go over speed bumps or other low speed bumps. Not sure if it is from the wheel well or somewhere in the engine compartment. I think it may be a similar creaking when I push down on the hood over the wheel well and the hood creaks.
Had same problem, was the hood hitting the bumpers it rests on. Put anything soft over the bumpers and the problem will be gone
Old 02-23-2011, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E350
Originally Posted by e350wagon1
Had same problem, was the hood hitting the bumpers it rests on. Put anything soft over the bumpers and the problem will be gone
Same issue here, fixed it with applying 3M tape on the hood where it hits the bumpers...
Old 02-23-2011, 08:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
E550 2010
Originally Posted by ash_cpe
Same issue here, fixed it with applying 3M tape on the hood where it hits the bumpers...
I ended up putting some lub on the hood bumpers. That fixed it. I asked the dealer to lub them as well. Problem gone.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
My W212 only has 6k miles and the front suspension already making very annoying squeaking noise when going over speed bump or getting into and out of the driveway. Sometimes I hear popping noise and notice chassis flexing noise on the drive side door when going over speed bump. There is also constant rattling noise near the rear sunshade. I have driven older Audi, MB and Range Rover and the W212 is by far the worst car I have ever owned.

Anyone has similar issue and have the dealer fix all the problems?

Last edited by bc-fd3s; 04-18-2011 at 01:12 AM.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:39 AM

W212 E250 AV
my dad's W212 has a rattling noise coming from the passenger seatbelt buckle, will take it to the stealer for fixing soon
Old 04-18-2011, 03:54 AM

e63 2010 W212
I've had both of these issues!

1. popping / cracking sound coming from roof pano. I had this almost happen in the first 3 months. Was like this for 7 months before i finally took it in. Dealer fixed it, they told me they "cleaned it". But i think it was grommets popping out of place and they probably just removed the gromets! A quick short cut fix. Whatever they did, it worked great. No cracking / popping anymore.

2. the creaking is the center vent. took that in too, they have TSB on this, they just add some felt chalk on the back of the vent. Fixed it for a few months, now it's creaking again. will take back again to fix, but hopefully this time it'll be more permanent.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:53 AM

2010 E350
Originally Posted by bc-fd3s
My W212 only has 6k miles and the front suspension already making very annoying squeaking noise when going over speed bump or getting into and out of the driveway. Sometimes I hear popping noise and notice chassis flexing noise on the drive side door when going over speed bump. There is also constant rattling noise near the rear sunshade. I have driven older Audi, MB and Range Rover and the W212 is by far the worst car I have ever owned.

Anyone has similar issue and have the dealer fix all the problems?
I had similar squeaking noise from the front of the car when going over speed bumps and getting into driveway/garage. I fixed it by putting some 3M tape over the hood stoppers by the wheels arches. Squeaking gone. It worked great. Good look.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:06 PM

Mercedes E350 CDI Sport
I have the same problem, i purchased my E350 5months ago and its been in 5 times and always comes out with the rattling being worse? when i purchase the vehicle iv been getting this rattling sound from day 1 its appearing to be coming from the middle console/ dash.... am i entitled to a refund? or a exchange?
Old 12-05-2011, 07:33 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2010 E350, 2015 S550
Fixed my rattle this way.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...2-i-fixed.html
Old 12-05-2011, 07:44 PM

Mercedes E350 CDI Sport
iv tried that, it dint work for me, its booked in again tommorrow, i spoke to main customer service and they assured me the car will be fixed with in 4 days.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 938 Likes on 685 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by MagicJack
Any solution? I get an occasional rattle I thought was from the roofliner but now suspect it has to do with the rear sunshade. The rattle typically goes away after I raise and lower the sunshade.
Had this with my 06 e3504matic. Was the shade itself which the dealers refused to replace. They just kept added felt to the back and hoping I would go away. I did I sold the car. I knew mine was the shade because it went away when I had the shade up.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:42 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

On my (new since my last post in this Thread) 2011 E, the rattles are on and off. Sometimes it's silent, then sometimes random rattles/vibrations, etc, pop up. I don't see how they wouldn't since THE SUSPENSION IS SO HARSH OVER ROUGH ROADS THAT EVEN THE TIGHTEST INTERIOR BUILD WOULD START RATTLING/SQUEAKING AFTER SOME TIME, WHICH IS EXACTLY WHAT'S HAPPENING.

Recently everything was good, and now some sounds from the rear are popping up again. I can't stand even the slightest vibration/rattle/squeak sound, makes me want to drive the car off a cliff (without me in it).
Old 12-06-2011, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
same problem plus

Originally Posted by El Cid
After 11 months, only noise I have noticed is a very rare creak from the sunroof when it is closed. Occurs when going over bumps such as where a driveway and street have a sizable dip between them and car enters at an angle. Lke I said it occurs rarely so not concerned yet, but will probably mention it when I go in for A service.
Have the same problem, but also if car is parked in sunlight for few hours on a hot day, very noisy when I open it. Scary-sounds like it is going to break. Earlier poster said dealer should lube it when go in for service. Going for B and it's on my list of problems. 5th car with a sunroof and never had this situation before nor had one needing lubrication.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:44 AM

E350 BT
Originally Posted by El Cid
Have the same problem, but also if car is parked in sunlight for few hours on a hot day, very noisy when I open it. Scary-sounds like it is going to break. Earlier poster said dealer should lube it when go in for service. Going for B and it's on my list of problems. 5th car with a sunroof and never had this situation before nor had one needing lubrication.
I think the newer, environmentally safe, plastics, contract and expand much more than the softer plastics. The best way to eliminate them is to find the plastic pieces and remove them carefully and apply krytox 205 grease to the areas where the plastic-on-plastic squeaks/creaks are happening. A good example is the wood trim, it can be popped out and krytox applied (extremely thin layer is all that is needed) and reassemble. I notice the trunk area stowage (adblue for me, spare for the rest), I added a fat piece of automotive felt where the stowage panel closes, that eliminated the rough sounds over bad pavement. I also had a rattle from the mini sun visor on the passenger side. It seems there is a rubber "bushing" on my driver side, but absent from the passenger, so I stuffed the tip of a q-tip into the area and solved that one. Takes a little creative engineering sometimes, but this car is far free of squeaks/rattles than any BMW or Lexus I've owned, even my LS 430.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:30 AM

'01 S500 AMG Sport, ABC,Distronic,Rear Side Shades // '10 E350 P2, Pano, BLK/ALM,4MATIC Sport
Hey just wanna let you guys know that there are some w212's out there with noise from the Pano-Roof. My 2010 E 350 is at the dealer now waiting on the entire Pano-Roof assembly for popping noise when the body flexes i.e driveway approach. It was mis-diag.couple weeks ago where they replaced the overhead controls. Brought it back since the noise never went away to road-test it with the foreman,the noise was present as soon as we came out the dealer. So this is where it stands for now till i pick it up.

Last edited by evansw220; 12-10-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:25 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Did you mean to write 220? The W220 never came with Pano roof actually.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:37 AM

'01 S500 AMG Sport, ABC,Distronic,Rear Side Shades // '10 E350 P2, Pano, BLK/ALM,4MATIC Sport
Originally Posted by K-A
Did you mean to write 220? The W220 never came with Pano roof actually.
I meant w212 I do have a w220 and screen name has w220. thanks
Old 12-10-2011, 08:18 PM

2011 E-350, 2010 GL-450
Hey guys,
I was going to post a picture of this, but did not get around to it.

I have a 350 that is only 3 months old. I HATE interior noises....really bugs me. Unfortunately, a $60K mercedes has them pop up just like any other vehicle....sucks

I had a ticking noise coming from the dash. Since I have experience tracking these things down, i took the car down a crappy road and started tugging and pushing on surfaces until the sound stopped or changed. Sure enough, it was up in the gauge cluster region. At first, I though it was the far left vent assembly because the noise would stop if I pressed down on the corner of it. I took that assembly out and all looked solid. After reassembly, same story, ticking came back.

I decided that since the pressure was working, it must be something close to the vent assembly that was making the noise. I started pushing on the inner-shroud piece just above the guages...it seemed to also stop the noise.

With some gentle tugging, the ineer shroud pops right off. I could see there were two main points where the plastic guides appear to be the most likely culprits. Sure enough, I applied the soft side of a self-adheshive velcro strip, about one inch long, right next to the pins and guides. This provided soft pressure on the guide and snugged them up.

Re-assemlbed the shroud and the ticking dissapeared.

I hate this stuff, but happy I found the problem...of course, I would have torn the entire car apart to find it eventually...either that, or the car would have been sold.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:55 AM

E350 BT
^^^ I'd love to see a photo of that area you fixed.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Titleist
I'm down to one "buzz-rattle," which I think is coming from the trim piece betweeen the headliner and the rear window. There is a frame at the top of the back window finished in the headliner material. If, while parked, I bang around that area, the sound is similar to what I hear when driving. Of course, the road bumps have to be just right as I don't hear this all the time. And my problem is that I can't be in the back seat and drive at the same time to truly isolate the source. It isn't bad enough for a trip to the dealer, but would prefer to eliminate the sound altogether.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:11 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

I think one of my on and off buzzes is that same thing as well. I need someone to drive my car while I sit in the back and figure it out. How delightful that sounds.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:14 AM

E350 BT
Originally Posted by golfster
I'm down to one "buzz-rattle," which I think is coming from the trim piece betweeen the headliner and the rear window. There is a frame at the top of the back window finished in the headliner material. If, while parked, I bang around that area, the sound is similar to what I hear when driving. Of course, the road bumps have to be just right as I don't hear this all the time. And my problem is that I can't be in the back seat and drive at the same time to truly isolate the source. It isn't bad enough for a trip to the dealer, but would prefer to eliminate the sound altogether.
YES!!! and none of my trim removal tools seems to be able to remove that piece. I wish we had a "realoem" type of site like the BMW crowd has, so we could see how these puzzle pieces of fisher price plastic fit together.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:51 PM

2011 E-350, 2010 GL-450
Originally Posted by Mr Snappy
Hey guys,
I was going to post a picture of this, but did not get around to it.

I have a 350 that is only 3 months old. I HATE interior noises....really bugs me. Unfortunately, a $60K mercedes has them pop up just like any other vehicle....sucks

I had a ticking noise coming from the dash. Since I have experience tracking these things down, i took the car down a crappy road and started tugging and pushing on surfaces until the sound stopped or changed. Sure enough, it was up in the gauge cluster region. At first, I though it was the far left vent assembly because the noise would stop if I pressed down on the corner of it. I took that assembly out and all looked solid. After reassembly, same story, ticking came back.

I decided that since the pressure was working, it must be something close to the vent assembly that was making the noise. I started pushing on the inner-shroud piece just above the guages...it seemed to also stop the noise.

With some gentle tugging, the ineer shroud pops right off. I could see there were two main points where the plastic guides appear to be the most likely culprits. Sure enough, I applied the soft side of a self-adheshive velcro strip, about one inch long, right next to the pins and guides. This provided soft pressure on the guide and snugged them up.

Re-assemlbed the shroud and the ticking dissapeared.

I hate this stuff, but happy I found the problem...of course, I would have torn the entire car apart to find it eventually...either that, or the car would have been sold.

Ok, I actually have a picture from the dealer that will work. It is the trim piece right below the dash and above the guages. Here is a picture that partially shows it. I have a loop around it.

Interior rattles, noises and/or creaking sounds?-benz-62.jpg
Old 12-11-2011, 01:06 PM

E350 BT
Originally Posted by Mr Snappy
Ok, I actually have a picture from the dealer that will work. It is the trim piece right below the dash and above the guages. Here is a picture that partially shows it. I have a loop around it.

That helps a lot, I will look and see if there are any mini screws that hold that pig together and possibly apply some krytox 205 to the back of it and reassemble it. Felt is probably too think for this trim piece.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: Interior rattles, noises and/or creaking sounds?