E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550
Old 06-12-2015, 07:21 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Interior rattles, noises and/or creaking sounds?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Old 09-07-2016, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E350
I've experienced this. Dealer replicated the issue in a few e 350s and said it's "normal". I threw a tantrum explaining that it's not normal. I worry that it has to do with engine mounts or crank pulley. They inspected birth plus the front end and said they're fine. Will let you know if I ever find the source.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 67 Posts
C300 Sport 4Matic
Originally Posted by shawnnanan2004
I've experienced this. Dealer replicated the issue in a few e 350s and said it's "normal". I threw a tantrum explaining that it's not normal. I worry that it has to do with engine mounts or crank pulley. They inspected birth plus the front end and said they're fine. Will let you know if I ever find the source.
Sounds good!
Old 04-15-2017, 06:57 PM

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts
W212 E-class, W211 E-class, F10 5-Series
Originally Posted by kingofire
Thanks fellas for the affirmation that this car is solid for a lot of you guys. Nothing ruins a driving experience more than creaks and rattles. I am not the one for turning up the music to drown the rattles or what not. I bought a luxury car so I can be spoiled and coddled to and from my travels that day and loud music just doesn't coddle me...lol. I am pretty sure my dealer will be able to fix it as it is not hard at all to duplicate it. Happens every time I hit a dip a certain way.
Yeah I refuse to turn the music up to drown a squeak and rattle that shouldn't be there in the first place, on a $73k car.

Originally Posted by LRM1
I recently noticed that something on the rear deck (maybe the sunshade) rattles like crazy when the music is played loud. I realize the sub (which really isn't all that powerful) kicks in, but the rattling is getting to me
Originally Posted by MagicJack
Any solution? I get an occasional rattle I thought was from the roofliner but now suspect it has to do with the rear sunshade. The rattle typically goes away after I raise and lower the sunshade.
Originally Posted by El Cid
After 11 months, only noise I have noticed is a very rare creak from the sunroof when it is closed. Occurs when going over bumps such as where a driveway and street have a sizable dip between them and car enters at an angle. Lke I said it occurs rarely so not concerned yet, but will probably mention it when I go in for A service.
[QUOTE=prestno;4532939]
Thought I would open a thread discussion on various noise troubleshooting and solutions.

2010 E350, 3,000 miles. Exactly the same noises for me-rear shade rattles at normal speeds and bumps, and getting a creak behind the steering wheel when turning for parking. Sounds like the column inside. Car going in for service this week. Has anyone been able to get it resolved?
[QUOTE=MagicJack;4533428]
Originally Posted by prestno

My dealer took off the guides for the rear shade mechanism, looked it over and put it back in place. Not sure if they made any changes, but the rattle is gone for several months now.
Wow, I just came across this thread and thankfully (but unfortunately) you guys are experiencing the same things as me. I have 2014 E350 w/ pano roof. I thought I was going crazy! I just got my (brand new to me) car delivered this week and have been hearing these freakin' creaking sounds from the back every time I would go over a bump or something; driving me insane--imagine the discontent over hearing this in my "new" car. At first I thought it was the rear headrests and then the rear parcel shelf and the rear sunshade (still happens whether it's raised or lowered), but now it helps to narrow it down exactly. You should have seen me, I was in the backseat like a wild man pushing and tapping and squeezing and testing every panel I could get my hands on, hoping to isolate it.

I will be taking her in to get this covered under warranty; anyone know the exact TSB on this?
Old 05-03-2017, 07:52 PM

Update: got her fixed today. Culprit: loose bolts on pano roof and squeaky c-pillar panel.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:59 PM

Since I really like the interior/exterior of this car and I plan to keep this car at least 5 years, I decided to just soundproof this car. I ordered Fatmat rattle trap and my sound guy will install it when it comes in. $600 all told and done and its the whole car which includes the engine hood, wheel wells, dashboard, roof(not much since its pano roof), doors, floor, rear deck and the trunk. Hope it solves the rattles. Here is the link for fatmat just in case anyone else is interested. I find this to be better than Dynamat and at half the cost.

http://www.amazon.com/Rattle-Trap-Fa...6649576&sr=8-1
How is/was the smell? Is it harder to work with than Dynamat, as I have read?
Old 09-13-2017, 03:39 AM

W212 200cgi
Originally Posted by chrisvr6
I noticed the same thing. When applying the brakes after reversing there is a clunk some times. Like something is loose and being seated into place after brakes are applied.
I have the same problem. How do you fix it?
Thanks !
Old 09-14-2017, 11:50 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
W212 E550 4M P2
Had to take a friend out for a ride to figure it out, but the little cubby under the front of the pass seat was the culprit. The door was rattling in the closed position.

I keep a microfiber cloth in there, so I stuck an edge of it between the cubby door and cubby opening - just enough to make the closing a bit tighter. Mission accomplished.

Good luck!
Old 11-08-2017, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
2014 E350 4M Diamond Silver
I have squeaking noises over bad roads or speed bumps. I'm the third owner and I'm around 155lbs. I own this vehicle for 10kMiles (7 months) currently at 52404 miles.
Floorman/Engineer test drove with me:
Part Number: A2123235800 Left front Strut. around $600
Labor is around $520+ taxes.
I said I'll get back to them. I have Multi Contour seats. Is that covered under ELW?

Thanks.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

delete delete
Old 11-10-2017, 11:10 AM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
E250 Diesel
Right behind the driver's seat towards the middle of the car, there is something like a steel ball (sounds like it anyway) rolling left and right when I make a long sweeping turn. I looked everywhere for a piece of trash or or a little ball rolling around on the floor but can't find it. it's crazy annoying. Not sure if dealer can replicate this. it seems like it's inside of the middle console or inside of the HVAC opening between the front seats.

I also have the same "rolling steel ball" noise coming from the driver side rear door area. Or perhaps around the rear deck area. Can't tell.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by raja777m
I have squeaking noises over bad roads or speed bumps. I'm the third owner and I'm around 155lbs. I own this vehicle for 10kMiles (7 months) currently at 52404 miles.
Floorman/Engineer test drove with me:
Part Number: A2123235800 Left front Strut. around $600
Labor is around $520+ taxes.
I said I'll get back to them. I have Multi Contour seats. Is that covered under ELW?

Thanks.
Is your problem related to the seat or to the chassis/mechanics?
Old 12-22-2017, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by tresean1
Is your problem related to the seat or to the chassis/mechanics?
Tutns out, there is a small problem with my seat (the floor engineer fixed it for free), and sway bar bracket for front driver side suspension is broken(replaced under warranty) then the strut is found to be broken, so the SA and manager helped me to get the price down to 400$ including parts, labor and alignment after replacing the strut.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:35 PM

E400
I have the exact same issue with my e400 2016 model.

Is there any layman solution? By that I mean, by spending a resonable amount of $$ lets say a solution that any professional can do for about 1500$ or less.
Thought I would open a thread discussion on various noise troubleshooting and solutions.

I am getting a popping sound from either the rear deck or the pano roof when my car dips either going thru pot holes or speed bumps and what not. I also get a bit of creaking from behind the steering wheel area. Anybody experience this? If yes, what did the dealer do to fix it? I will be bringing my chaar to the dealership, just wanted to be well informed just in case they can't troubleshoot it.
Thanks fellas!

Old 11-17-2018, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 834 Likes on 603 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by Kush Ahuja
Is there any layman solution? By that I mean, by spending a resonable amount of $$ lets say a solution that any professional can do for about 1500$ or less.
The popping sound is covered in more than one post string in the forum. It most likely is the loose bolt or nut issue in the roof assembly in the pano roof area. Improperly tightened bolt allows metals to slide under bolt making the popping sound when you put torque on the car body.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:36 PM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
2016 E350 wagon
I've noticed a subtle rattle in the shift lever. I thought it was in the dash but holding the lever deadens the noise. It doesn't happen all the time
Old 03-06-2019, 01:57 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
CL550
lots of rattle and squeaky noises from dash, Mercedes build quality.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:45 PM

2016 E350
Anybody else notice a squeak over road bumps?It pisses me off like crazy. My car is fully under warranty, will MB fix?
Old 09-28-2019, 09:32 PM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
2011 E350 4MATIC
212 Rattles

M
Originally Posted by thekurgan
I full understand what you're saying here, and when I test drive many different vehicles, I press on the plastics, listen for the plastic-to-plastic creaks, don't let the salesperson turn on any accessories. Mercedes had the least amount of this poor plastic, Audi was the second. BMW was the last, just about everything creaked, even the seat. Lexus was the best, but in time, it also suffers from the contracting plastics. I think part of the problem with the sport suspension has a lot to do with the tire/wheel packages. On the bluetec, they're 17s (although RFTs), the other vehicles are 18 and 19 inch, whereby a lot more NVH is going to be transmitted to the chassis. The shocks seem to be valved like the Koni FSDs, but those only seem harsh at the limit.
Here are my insights FWIW:
in test driving several 212 4Matic Wagons, I found the drive/ride underwhelming compared to my 94 124 Estate RWD & especially vs. my current 2001 E320 4M
wagon. Now, The 18” & larger low profile tires
and aluminum wheels radiate noise through the chassis & weak engine mounts vibrate throughout the frame. Add a Panoramic Roof for even more pops & creaks. Removing a metal roof & adding 200 lbs. of glass OVER the Center of Gravity is a sure way to add snap, crackle & pop.
Old 07-05-2020, 07:08 PM

Received 170 Likes on 112 Posts
2015 E250 Bluetec
I had a significant rattle/creak from the rear of the cabin. Worst on rough roads around 20-30mph. At first I was convinced that it was in the rear headliner, then the rear deck. After reading this thread I suspected the center brake light and wasn’t looking forward to having to get at it.

However, the noise turned out to be the passenger side track for the rear window sunshade, I believe from its plastic-on-plastic mounting to the C-pillar. I removed the C-pillar paneling and unclipped the track. I lined the plastic on the C-pillar paneling with felt tape and added bits of felt to the pins on the track. I also felted the interface between the C-pillar panel’s pins and the panel itself. Tired to get felt on every plastic-plastic point I could. Reassembled everything and the noise is gone. Did the other side for good measure in case it would have started acting up.

I also had a higher frequency buzzing coming from the front end of the long silver trim piece on the side of the front console by the driver’s thigh. I removed that piece (which requires pulling terrifyingly hard to unclip it) and lined all the contact points with felt. Much better. I also added a little felt to the underside of the front of the cup holder and under the ashtray. I’d previously removed the silver metal plate from the top of the ashtray to make it a more useful storage spot. The latching mechanism on the cup holder rattles a little, I’m picking up some Krytox 205 and Mercedes special sliding compound spray (part 000 989 35 60) which should help the latch be quieter.

I’m nearly rattle free. I still have something behind the instrument cluster which I plan to remove and felt. I think there is some minor creaking around the vents and/or wood trim on the dash. I think the spray and Krytox will help with that and I can apply them when they’re removed to access the cluster.
The following users liked this post:
lunarx (07-07-2020)
Old 05-19-2021, 07:10 AM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
E55 AMG Wagon '04
My W218 has a annoying sound from the left side of the dash when I drive over 70mph and the road isnt the smoothest, it's driving me crazy. I cant pinpoint the rattle anywhere pressing the dash or panels..

Any idea what could cause this and what's the fix? (Turn up the volume to hear it on the vid)