MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   Blind spot!? (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/371098-blind-spot.html)

MCF 10-13-2010 08:22 PM

Blind spot!?

Maybe it's just because I am used to driving a big SUV with big mirrors that can be adjusted to have ZERO blind spot, but are others finding that no matter how you adjust the driver side window there is a pretty bad blind spot?

ttoE550 10-13-2010 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by MCF (Post 4297866)
no matter how you adjust the driver side window there is a pretty bad blind spot?

Try the mirror instead of the window.

Hahaha! Just kidding. I agree, so I have found the blind spot assist to invaluable. I can't tell you how many times it has seen what I haven't. And I've never had such issues with any other car.

hyperion667 10-13-2010 09:33 PM

it seems like when someone allows something to think or see for them they become lazier......I myself didn't want this feature on purpose because I need to look to make sure.......there are a lot of nuts out there you know????
I couldn't rely on a little light to tell me.....

but that's just me

ttoE550 10-13-2010 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by hyperion667 (Post 4298002)
it seems like when someone allows something to think or see for them they become lazier......I myself didn't want this feature on purpose because I need to look to make sure.......there are a lot of nuts out there you know????
I couldn't rely on a little light to tell me.....

but that's just me

Hey, my wife checks the blind spots and the mirrors for me every time I turn on the blinker, and that didn't make me any lazier. So I figured I could handle blind spot assist too. Naah, I check just like I've always done but make sure the blinker is on. If I see nothing and I hear nothing, I figure I have a sporting chance.

MCF 10-14-2010 09:59 AM

It seems like I can't get the driver' side mirror to angle out enough to eliminate the blind spot. I have it pretty much angled all the way out and it is still there. Guess I will just have to get used to it and make sure 100% that I always check to make sure nothing is there. I didn't think there would be such a blind spot or I would have considered the blind spot assist.

mbuster25 10-14-2010 10:46 PM

I would agree that the mirrors could have been better. For as much width as they add to the car, they could be bigger and more useful. I leave the side mirrors as much into the blindspots as possible.

Consider situation where you are driving on the right lane of a 3 lane road. You want to move to the center lane, a vehicle in the left lane is far behind by speeding and moves into the center lane. That creates a dangerous situation. I still check by looking quickly anyways.

HiTach 10-15-2010 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by MCF (Post 4297866)
Maybe it's just because I am used to driving a big SUV with big mirrors that can be adjusted to have ZERO blind spot, but are others finding that no matter how you adjust the driver side window there is a pretty bad blind spot?

For my MLs I treated them to a Euro style driver side mirror.
It has an aspherical outer edge which eliminates the blind spot.
You can see a dotted line about 1.5" in from the outside edge where the mirror goes from flat to curved. I have seen this on SAABs in the US, but not much else. In Europe they are normal. I really like them on the MLs.

Both mirrors were purchased in the UK. I couldn't get my dealer to provide them. Perhaps you could now for the W212. I read somewhere the curved mirrors are out of spec for the US regulations on flatness, though I saw a Saab here with this style.

Arrie 10-18-2010 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by HiTach (Post 4300871)
For my MLs I treated them to a Euro style driver side mirror.
It has an aspherical outer edge which eliminates the blind spot.
You can see a dotted line about 1.5" in from the outside edge where the mirror goes from flat to curved. I have seen this on SAABs in the US, but not much else. In Europe they are normal. I really like them on the MLs.

Both mirrors were purchased in the UK. I couldn't get my dealer to provide them. Perhaps you could now for the W212. I read somewhere the curved mirrors are out of spec for the US regulations on flatness, though I saw a Saab here with this style.

I purchased European style mirrors with blind spot feature from Germany for my Audi Q7, which I traded in for my brand new E350. I will try to get mirrors for this one too from Germany.

U.S. regulations in this are so far behind. Correct type of a mirror can eliminate so many fender benders...wonder why insurance company lobbyists have not got this fixed yet...?

vselva 10-18-2010 07:15 PM

I regret, I shouldv'e got the blind spot assist, my neck is getting stiffer and stiffer day by day.....:rolf::rolf:

MCF 10-18-2010 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Arrie (Post 4306584)
I purchased European style mirrors with blind spot feature from Germany for my Audi Q7, which I traded in for my brand new E350. I will try to get mirrors for this one too from Germany.

U.S. regulations in this are so far behind. Correct type of a mirror can eliminate so many fender benders...wonder why insurance company lobbyists have not got this fixed yet...?

Please post if you get the mirrors!! I would be very interested. Thanks!

vselva 10-18-2010 07:26 PM

I wonder why MB and others rely on radar & infra red alone to detect blind spots instead of more and more video cameras at different spots. I think there is nothing can replace a real time video image. Radar and Infra Red without video may be blind themselves. But with the current technology, they are great compared to nothing.

hyperion667 10-31-2010 08:38 AM

the blind spot is NOT bad..........I can see out just fine while turning my head.....

?????

fyi