E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Biggest surprise of your w212.........?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'11 350 4matic - '14 Stingray: Gone, BMW 530i, Porsche 944 Turbo, Porsche 356, Mitsubishi 3000GT
Thats why it's good to disagree. I am totally digging my new grill...different look completely than your car Kevin...I had to seperate any confusion of our vehicles. I still like your original design to (beats anything else out there on the road).
Old 11-08-2010, 09:52 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by BPhillyBenz
Thats why it's good to disagree. I am totally digging my new grill...different look completely than your car Kevin...I had to seperate any confusion of our vehicles. I still like your original design to (beats anything else out there on the road).
Hahaha, indeed, variation is good!

Yeah, exactly respectful discussions and disagree-ances are always good, especially when we're yappin' about cars!

Yeah, I've tried to figure out anything I can do to the OEM grille to give it a different twist, but I just can't convince myself that I like anything enough to justify me switching it up, if for no other reason than making it "different". Stylistically I think they just nailed it with the front of its car.... as I've never had such a hard time finding anything that I find would enhance the visual of a car, other than what it came with originally. Makes life easy for me I guess. I envy and commend you on having some fun and taking some chances with different accessories though. This is what makes being an enthusiast of these cars fun! Seeing different setups, from clean OEM, to slightly modded, to fully modded, etc.

To me, good car mods are always about balance. For example, you can throw the COOLEST front bumper on any car, but if it isn't matched up with the side rockers and rear bumper, then it'll look even downgraded from what it was. I think I've got a great balance of keeping the original grace of the car intact, but just cleaning and sharpening it up some. If I threw on a black grille, then I think with that and the taillights, It's look "off" without some black rims, for example, etc. etc.

Never ending with this hobby.

Last edited by K-A; 11-08-2010 at 09:55 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 834 Likes on 603 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by BPhillyBenz
It truly is the oddest thing on the car. Bad placement...and to turn it on you pull it toward you? Maybe it's only me, but I would have designed it to be activated when you push it away (towards the direction you are going).

Go forward...duh...(maybe it's just me). Pull it back to you...off.

You activate cruise control by moving the control arm up or down. First stop sets it on and moving it past first stop increases (up) or decreases (down) speed setting in 5 mph increments.

Pulling it towards you will resume speed setting after you used brakes or pushed it forward to disengage.

If you use cruise control a lot, like I do (90 % highway) it is far more convenient to resume speed setting by pulling it rather than pushing away. But this, of course, is just my opinion.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:58 PM

2016 GLE 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Tjdehya
Its a very light quick tap. If you do it too slow it wont activate.
That is interesting. I tried to do it, but maybe I am not doing it right. I did not want to try this at a traffic light, so I tried it in the garage when I parked last night. This is what I tried - I went in the garage, hit the brakes to stop it at a certain point, lifted my foot and tried to tap it - both gently, quickly, and slow tap. All it did was moved the car forward in small increments everytime I lifted the foot. Obviously, I am not doing it right. Pardon my ignorance, but please correct me. Thanks,
Old 11-09-2010, 01:13 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
awesome cruise

Originally Posted by Arrie
You activate cruise control by moving the control arm up or down. First stop sets it on and moving it past first stop increases (up) or decreases (down) speed setting in 5 mph increments.

Pulling it towards you will resume speed setting after you used brakes or pushed it forward to disengage.

If you use cruise control a lot, like I do (90 % highway) it is far more convenient to resume speed setting by pulling it rather than pushing away. But this, of course, is just my opinion.
I've only had cruise on a few cars, but this is definitely the best I have ever used in my life......the increments of 1 and 5 are awesome......I did that pull forward thing a couple of times getting on the highway too; thinking I'd be back up to 70 or whatever......but I have been training myself, lol.....going straight up will always get you that current speed you want too as long as it's already disengaged...
man.....what an awesome car, I'm coming up on the 1000 mile mark in less than two weeks!
Old 11-09-2010, 02:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
OK, here's another engineering gaffe...

The wiper stalk does not have a one swipe feature.

If you need a quick swipe of your windows you need to switch the wipers on and off again.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:08 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by BenzE350
OK, here's another engineering gaffe...

The wiper stalk does not have a one swipe feature.

If you need a quick swipe of your windows you need to switch the wipers on and off again.
Yes it does. Just tap in the button at the tip of the wiper-stalk. If you push it in to the "second" click, it activates the washers as well, just a slight tap for the "first" click, and you get a dry wiper run.

Originally Posted by Westwind
That is interesting. I tried to do it, but maybe I am not doing it right. I did not want to try this at a traffic light, so I tried it in the garage when I parked last night. This is what I tried - I went in the garage, hit the brakes to stop it at a certain point, lifted my foot and tried to tap it - both gently, quickly, and slow tap. All it did was moved the car forward in small increments everytime I lifted the foot. Obviously, I am not doing it right. Pardon my ignorance, but please correct me. Thanks,
It's really easy! All you have to do is press the brake in one time, relatively hard. The tap and 2-tap stuff doesn't seem to be the proper activation method.

Just push it in once-hard, and you'll see it activate.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:06 PM

E350
Originally Posted by K-A
Yes it does. Just tap in the button at the tip of the wiper-stalk. If you push it in to the "second" click, it activates the washers as well, just a slight tap for the "first" click, and you get a dry wiper run.

Thanks!

I guess with all my hostility I kept pushing the buttom so hard it activated the washers.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RW C55
I want to conplain about the mileage left thing in the dash display. Normally it tells you how muc distance of gas you have left in your gas tank, but when the car is running low with fuel and the indicator is on, the computer doesnt tell how much further u can drive anymore, instead it shows u fuel level low or something like that. I mean, no **** i know the fuel is low from the fuel guage, but i want to know if i can hold on a few more miles before refueling. My w203 was able to do that even when the indicator is on. I wonder if all the w212s are like that, and if there's any way to change it.

That leads me to another complaint, the red rear turning signal lights. I've always thought they looked cool until last night, when my car stalled on the middle of the road(was on my way to gas station too!!!). So I had my emergency lights flashing, but guess what! The cars kept waiting behind me unitl i got out of the car and pointed them to the other lane. Only a few people changed lane before coming to a complete stop behind my car. My guess is that people are not used to the red turning signal lights, and Im not sure MB made the right decision changing it from amber.

Other than that, Im quite suprised how well the car is built. Granted it's only 9 months old, there no mechanical issue(except the recent reall.. but i havnt recieved any words from the dealer?) nor any squeaks/noise. I hope it'll stay this way for a few more years

My 2011 W212 does show mileage that is left after low fuel warning comes on. I just have to press the OK button in the middle of the directional buttons and the MPG display with the mileage left display comes back on.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
The best way to do it is to brake normally and then do not take your foot off the brake, but instead give it a light quick tap further. Once you figure it out, it will seem crazy that you couldn't find it in the first place. That's how I felt anyway. I prefer this method over one big hard brake as I feel like maybe this will wear the brake pads down more quickly or something.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 E63 Obsidiant Black; '06 R350 Alabaster White; 05 C55 Obsidiant Black (sold)
Originally Posted by Arrie
My 2011 W212 does show mileage that is left after low fuel warning comes on. I just have to press the OK button in the middle of the directional buttons and the MPG display with the mileage left display comes back on.
Weird. Mine still shows low fuel even after i press ok & going to the menu.
Maybe its a Canadian thing?
Old 11-09-2010, 11:50 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by pmb600
The best way to do it is to brake normally and then do not take your foot off the brake, but instead give it a light quick tap further. Once you figure it out, it will seem crazy that you couldn't find it in the first place. That's how I felt anyway. I prefer this method over one big hard brake as I feel like maybe this will wear the brake pads down more quickly or something.
Hmm, I'll try that. Could it wear the pads down to simply press a bit hard when stopped? I was wondering that as well.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by K-A
Hmm, I'll try that. Could it wear the pads down to simply press a bit hard when stopped? I was wondering that as well.

Brakes don't wear when vehicle does not move no matter how hard you press on brake pedal.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Hill Holder

The car holds the brakes for you so you dont have to have your foot on the brake pedal at traffic lights or in traffic.
I test drove a BMW X6 that had the automatic hold function. IMO that works better than having to tap the brake in our cars.
Called a "hill holder" so you don't have to keep brake pedal pressed while stopped on a hill. Very nice feature, but many cars today have it. Has been around since the 1940's.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:42 PM

E350
Originally Posted by El Cid
Called a "hill holder" so you don't have to keep brake pedal pressed while stopped on a hill. Very nice feature, but many cars today have it. Has been around since the 1940's.
IMO this is only useful in standard transmission cars. Useless on an automatic. YMMV.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts
2023 EQS 580
hit the brakes to stop it at a certain point, lifted my foot and tried to tap it - both gently, quickly, and slow tap. All it did was moved the car forward in small increments everytime I lifted the foot.
Do not lift your foot off the pedal. After comming to a stop perform a quick motion light tap/push/press. Not a stomp. I hope this helps.
Originally Posted by K-A
Just push it in once-hard, and you'll see it activate.
Maybe yours needs adjusting because for both the W212's I had it was a very light tap. Maybe 1-2 pounds of pressure. It just has to be quick.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:52 PM

E350
Do not lift your foot off the pedal. After comming to a stop perform a quick motion light tap/push/press. Not a stomp. I hope this helps.Maybe yours needs adjusting because for both the W212's I had it was a very light tap. Maybe 1-2 pounds of pressure. It just has to be quick.
I have this vision of some E350/E550 driver sheepishly talking to the upset owner of the car that they rolled backyard into and crushed the front of their car...

..."Sorry, Sorry! I couldn't remember if it was a light tap/push/press, slow stomp, or press/release/tap. I'm sure my insurance will cover this. Your bumper really doesn't look that bad. This wasn't a new car - was it?
Old 11-10-2010, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by K-A
Not sure. I misunderstood what you wrote, I thought you meant stomping on the brakes to stop the car and activate the HOLD in one motion. That could hurt the brakes, but no, to others point, I doubt it will hurt if you are hitting the brake pedal hard once the car is already stopped. I guess it just feels unnatural to me to hit the brakes hard if not needed--probably me just being too cautious with my car.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:54 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

I'll try the quick tap. Yeah, what I meant is I gave it a little weighted push while already stopped, although, I did put some effort into the push.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:02 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
W211 E320 & W212 E550
I think my fav feature is the pano roof solar panels, powering fans circulating cool air into the interior when parked on a hot summer day. It's nice getting into a cool parked car, expecially with black on black. Also the dial controlled pano roof diffuser, controlling the light intensity through the glass. I also like the adaptive high beam assist and compact flash card reader. Too many to list but those are my favs.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:49 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by RNBRAD
I think my fav feature is the pano roof solar panels, powering fans circulating cool air into the interior when parked on a hot summer day. It's nice getting into a cool parked car, expecially with black on black. Also the dial controlled pano roof diffuser, controlling the light intensity through the glass. I also like the adaptive high beam assist and compact flash card reader. Too many to list but those are my favs.
Wait, what is this business with the Pano roof?

Solar powers that circulate cool air what?? I never knew about this. How do you activate it?

With the pano roof diffuser, are you talking about the mesh cover that let's in a little big of light when it's close (but not completely eliminating the light)?
Old 11-10-2010, 10:47 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
W211 E320 & W212 E550
I was wondering who would have a stroke. Sorry for any temporary distress it may have caused. Actually my 1st two items are on my wish list. The solar powered option was actually in I believe an older Lexus model, really cool idea, literally, lol. Have a thermostatic switch as the interior hits a certain temp, the solar panels go from trickle charging the battery to powering an intake and exhaust fans. Continually circulate the hot interior air to the outside. The more direct sun, the faster the fans run.

The sun still gets a tad bright through the material so a nice diffuser (like window film) but with power that you can control the transparency of the glass from total transparency to a dim light. Both real possibilities for future models and available technology. Just the cost of it at this time may be an issue. We will see this in the future though. A window will go from clear to smoke like transition eye glass lenses. Except this will be controlled by a dial on your dash.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:22 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Google M-B's new "Magic Sky Control" debuting in the upcoming SLK (then across the board I'm sure in due time). Seems to be something like what you're saying, if not exactly. Too bad it's such a stupid name, especially from a respectable brand like M-B.... Sounds like something McDonalds would use as a name.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:20 AM

E350
Does anyone know if there is a way to keep the E350 transmission in Sport? Everytime I start the car it reverts to Economy.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:14 AM

2021 E450 4matic
Originally Posted by RNBRAD
I was wondering who would have a stroke. Sorry for any temporary distress it may have caused. Actually my 1st two items are on my wish list. The solar powered option was actually in I believe an older Lexus model, really cool idea, literally, lol. Have a thermostatic switch as the interior hits a certain temp, the solar panels go from trickle charging the battery to powering an intake and exhaust fans. Continually circulate the hot interior air to the outside. The more direct sun, the faster the fans run.

The sun still gets a tad bright through the material so a nice diffuser (like window film) but with power that you can control the transparency of the glass from total transparency to a dim light. Both real possibilities for future models and available technology. Just the cost of it at this time may be an issue. We will see this in the future though. A window will go from clear to smoke like transition eye glass lenses. Except this will be controlled by a dial on your dash.
You got me all riled up for nothing too

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Biggest surprise of your w212.........?