E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Questions on a few options

Old 11-11-2010, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E350
Questions on a few options

Getting ready to order a new E -- wanted to get some thoughts / advice on a few options.

Here's the config so far: E550 4MATIC, Palladium Silver, Almond interior, Burl Walnut Trim, P2, Driver Assistance, Parktronic, Nightview (maybe), Drive-dynamic seat, Wood Steering

(1) Leather or MB Tex? (Is MB Tex even available on the 550?)

(2) In the Build Your Own on mbusa.com, there's two wood steering options -- one in "Options" for around $500, and one in "Accessories" for around $1200. Anyone know the difference?

(3) Is heated steering wheel available? Doesn't appear so, but maybe I'm missing something.

(4) Sport styling or no? Not really clear to me what the body style differences are. Might not be able to get it with wood steering, either.

(5) Advice on pano or not? Is cabin any noisier with pano?
Old 11-12-2010, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Originally Posted by E550Shopper
Getting ready to order a new E -- wanted to get some thoughts / advice on a few options.

Here's the config so far: E550 4MATIC, Palladium Silver, Almond interior, Burl Walnut Trim, P2, Driver Assistance, Parktronic, Nightview (maybe), Drive-dynamic seat, Wood Steering

(1) Leather or MB Tex? (Is MB Tex even available on the 550?)

(2) In the Build Your Own on mbusa.com, there's two wood steering options -- one in "Options" for around $500, and one in "Accessories" for around $1200. Anyone know the difference?

(3) Is heated steering wheel available? Doesn't appear so, but maybe I'm missing something.

(4) Sport styling or no? Not really clear to me what the body style differences are. Might not be able to get it with wood steering, either.

(5) Advice on pano or not? Is cabin any noisier with pano?
1. Leather is standard on the 550, MB-Tex isn't an option.

2. The wheel in the "Options" menu is the same wheel that is shown in the "Accessories" menu. Best bet is to check with your salesmen, but how it used to work on previous models was that if you order the car with the wood wheel it will be $500. If you get the car and decide you want to add the wood wheel after, it will be considered an accessory and you will be charged the full price of $1,200.

3. A heated steering wheel isn't offered on the E class.

4. I may be wrong, but I believe only the Sport body style is offered on the 550. If you want the Luxury version you have to step down to the 350.

By the way, the 550 Sport comes with the AMG flat bottom steering wheel, which might make you think twice to swapping it out with a wood wheel.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:25 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
The E550 does come in the Luxury Package (which is the only package available with a wood wheel, and and maybe even a heated wheel).

Between Sport and Luxury, it's various styling differences on the outside, suspension differences (ride difference speaks for itself via the cars designation names), slightly different interior configurations (colors, color combos, speedo display, etc.). It's really personal preference regarding which would be better for you, styling and/or ride wise.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:41 AM

2007 E350
Originally Posted by chilledbenz
1. Leather is standard on the 550, MB-Tex isn't an option.

2. The wheel in the "Options" menu is the same wheel that is shown in the "Accessories" menu. Best bet is to check with your salesmen, but how it used to work on previous models was that if you order the car with the wood wheel it will be $500. If you get the car and decide you want to add the wood wheel after, it will be considered an accessory and you will be charged the full price of $1,200.

3. A heated steering wheel isn't offered on the E class.

4. I may be wrong, but I believe only the Sport body style is offered on the 550. If you want the Luxury version you have to step down to the 350.

By the way, the 550 Sport comes with the AMG flat bottom steering wheel, which might make you think twice to swapping it out with a wood wheel.

I actually answered my own question on #4 last night -- the paper brochure has several E550 luxury models pictured. (Who says those things aren't useful!)

Can you elaborate a bit on the "flat bottom"-ness of the AMG wheel? Not sure what you mean by that. Is it just an appearance thing, or is there some functionality to the AMG wheel over a wood wheel? Any chance I get tighter steering with a wood wheel? The 550 seems a little light in steering to me.

K-A, the 550 luxury suspension -- is it still Airmatic? What are the real differences in the feel? If I switch a 550 luxury to sport mode, do I get something more like the sport's suspension?
Old 11-12-2010, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts
2023 EQS 580
I actually answered my own question on #4 last night -- the paper brochure has several E550 luxury models pictured. (Who says those things aren't useful!)

Can you elaborate a bit on the "flat bottom"-ness of the AMG wheel? Not sure what you mean by that. Is it just an appearance thing, or is there some functionality to the AMG wheel over a wood wheel? Any chance I get tighter steering with a wood wheel? The 550 seems a little light in steering to me.

K-A, the 550 luxury suspension -- is it still Airmatic? What are the real differences in the feel? If I switch a 550 luxury to sport mode, do I get something more like the sport's suspension?
Here is a pic of the flat steering wheel.

As to the functionality of it... I have it and I have no Idea. If you look at the 10 and 2 positions, that’s the biggest difference and I find myself very comfortable at 10 and 2 and driving this way more than I have ever driven in my entire driving life. Darn you Mercedes... forcing me to drive the way I am supposed to

If you want a tighter feel to the steering, it seems that you can only get this with a 4matic... The funny thing is that to the uneducated E-class buyer there in no other way to know this but to test drive them both. When purchasing the 4matic there is absolutely no mention of any difference in steering. There is still no evidence of the difference on the sticker.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:58 AM

2021 E450 4matic
I have the 3 spoke "sport" wheel too.

I also love the 10 and 2 positions - something which I never did previously either. The two "thumbrests" (for lack of a better descriptor) are comfy. There are also two grooves right under them that are comfy as well.

The only thing I can think of as a benefit to having the bottom of the wheel flat is perhaps since the assumption is you drive "sporty" you drive with the wheel lower towards your lap and the flat part has less of a chance of hitting your legs. That's just a theory of course and it kind goes out the window when you turn, but it sounds good, no?

I've never seen heated wheel as an option, accessory or otherwise.

I think, from what I was told and saw at the dealership, that you can only get the wood wheel with the luxury package (or as an accessory later for $1,200).

I've never heard much noise with the pano, but then again both of my MB's have had panos so I'm not sure they are quieter than no pano. The W212 is a crapload quieter than the W211 though regardless. My wife even noticed the other night on the highway, she never comments on the car, and she said "wow, this thing is really, really quiet".

Last edited by LRM1; 11-12-2010 at 10:01 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:00 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 GL450
Originally Posted by LRM1
The only thing I can think of as a benefit to having the bottom of the wheel flat is perhaps since the assumption is you drive "sporty" you drive with the wheel lower towards your lap and the flat part has less of a chance of hitting your legs. That's just a theory of course and it kind goes out the window when you turn, but it sounds good, no?

Here's another WAG: Race car drivers often like to have something they can feel on the wheel so that they can feel how far they've turned the steering wheel, especially with production cars as they tend to not have very tight steering ratios. I suspect it is on the bottom since, as you turn, say, left, I think the natural way move your hands is to initially hold the steering wheel with your left and slide your right down the steering wheel (towards the flat part that used to be the bottom). Vice versa for right turns.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:47 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500

Hmm, actually being that they're both indeed Airmatic, maybe they're the same? Or perhaps they just lowered the standard height of the Sports a bit. Same Airmatic system for both though.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:54 PM

07 ML320 CDI, 07 997 C4 Cab, 11 E550 4Matic
You CAN get a heated steering wheel on the E550. I have it on mine. It is a "Special Order" item. One of my favorite options. There is a $250 Special Order Charge and then the Heated Steering Wheel itself is $490.
I also opted for the Special Order Chestnut interior. It was no charge. I only paid the Special Order charge once, it is not charged again for each Special Order item.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:08 PM

07 ML320 CDI, 07 997 C4 Cab, 11 E550 4Matic
If you get the Driver Assistance Package, you cannot get the three spoke steering wheel. The Lane Keeping Assist and Blind Spot Assist vibrate the steering wheel when activated. The vibrating mechanism isn't available with the three spoke wheel, so you get the four spoke steering wheel with the Driver Assistance Package.

Last edited by TomFromCT; 11-12-2010 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:25 PM

2007 E350
Originally Posted by TomFromCT
You CAN get a heated steering wheel on the E550. I have it on mine. It is a "Special Order" item. One of my favorite options. There is a $250 Special Order Charge and then the Heated Steering Wheel itself is $490.
I also opted for the Special Order Chestnut interior. It was no charge. I only paid the Special Order charge once, it is not charged again for each Special Order item.
Ah, sweet! I also found this form, which seems to indicate Heated Steering is indeed an option:

http://www.brumosmercedesbenz.com/ne...SC10MBC782A0/#

Any other "Special Order" options that are worth considering? Special order colors, for instance?
Old 11-12-2010, 06:25 PM

2007 E350
Btw, is the heated steering wheel also a wood wheel? Can you get both? And if so, is it $500 for each?
Old 11-12-2010, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Originally Posted by TomFromCT
If you get the Driver Assistance Package, you cannot get the three spoke steering wheel. The Lane Keeping Assist and Blind Spot Assist vibrate the steering wheel when activated. The vibrating mechanism isn't available with the three spoke wheel, so you get the four spoke steering wheel with the Driver Assistance Package.
Good to know, so my steering wheel vibration isn't related to the mechanism as I thought initially.