The new DFI TT V8

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 10:09 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
I think you should certainly stick with it. There will always be something newer/improved coming out, but you're almost a whole year away from this. I've had my car for 6 months, and I couldn't even imagine missing out on that time-frame with it. Also, one of the benefits of happening to pick up a new body style, is being able to "take in" that period of time where it's still a new body style. It's not really something of concern to me, but it still has added and adds to my ownership experience.

The new engines will be interesting though. I'm really curious to see how the V6 stacks up to the current one. They are miles ahead (both) in terms of all around efficiency, which will make it harder to digest being with the "old" ones. For the V8'ers, you can make yourself feel better about having the last of the N/A V8's.

Also, I didn't know both were getting start/stop technology. It just seems like it would be so annoying? Although I'm sure they've engineered it to be completely unnoticeable? I imagine if you're in a crawling traffic, it would be counterproductive.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Q7
Originally Posted by K-A
I think you should certainly stick with it. There will always be something newer/improved coming out, but you're almost a whole year away from this. I've had my car for 6 months, and I couldn't even imagine missing out on that time-frame with it. Also, one of the benefits of happening to pick up a new body style, is being able to "take in" that period of time where it's still a new body style. It's not really something of concern to me, but it still has added and adds to my ownership experience.

The new engines will be interesting though. I'm really curious to see how the V6 stacks up to the current one. They are miles ahead (both) in terms of all around efficiency, which will make it harder to digest being with the "old" ones. For the V8'ers, you can make yourself feel better about having the last of the N/A V8's.

Also, I didn't know both were getting start/stop technology. It just seems like it would be so annoying? Although I'm sure they've engineered it to be completely unnoticeable? I imagine if you're in a crawling traffic, it would be counterproductive.
Yes, the V6 is the engine that I would really be interested in seeing. I was really close to getting the S4 because of the Supercharged V6. Amazing engine and great MPG!

But, thanks for the re-assurance. I am going to LOVE the car and that V8 is like "buttah" and more than enough power for me.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Mercedes E550 4M, 2003 BMW X5 4.4i
The new BMW F10's TT engine is not as smooth as the E550 that I test drove. You have to really push it on the BMW to get power out of it while the E550 accelerates smoothly with no sudden abruptness. Only time will tell if this new V8 is a success or failure since M-B have always gone with N/A engines over turbos. Who knows, there might even be an increase in price for the E550.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:46 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by csquared
The new BMW F10's TT engine is not as smooth as the E550 that I test drove. You have to really push it on the BMW.
M-B have always gone with N/A engines over turbos.
MB has much experience with turbocharging (especially with their diesels going back to the great 300SD and SDL's not to mention the new blue tech's). The AMG cars have been using kompressor/supercharged technology for years and these engines are awesome; they also have been twin turbo charging the 600 line for years now.

BMW has done a splendid job with their recent line of TT and single turbo six cylinder engines winning acclaim the wold around for smoothness and instant power deliver. I bet MB's versions will not disappoint. Go try the Porsche TT V8's, smooth as silk, no lag to speak of and enough power to displace your retinas. MB's AMG version of the new TT V8 will no doubt be ultra amazing. FYI MB has maintained a very close engineering relation with Porsche for years...

Last edited by RJC; 11-28-2010 at 11:48 PM.