E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Cool/Useful features that I didn't know about

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 02:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
For those with audio bluetooth streaming and carry two devices, I found out that I can bluetooth connect my BlackBerry 9900 for phone use, yet at the same time, bluetooth stream music from my iPhone 5 to the car.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 834 Likes on 603 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by Ghettoeg6
I tried it 3 times..cluster never lit up for me. I have '10 p2 package.

I will do it agan to make sure I have the steps correctly, which I believe I have, but I will do it again.

I also have a 2010 P2.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Arrie
I will do it agan to make sure I have the steps correctly, which I believe I have, but I will do it again.

I also have a 2010 P2.

Ok,

I did the procedure again but now it took 2 min 15 seconds for the speedo to lit up.

Works every time though. The car is like re-born with much faster reaction to the gas pedal.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
just out of curiosity, arrie, how many times have you done this? if you drive "normal" after the reset, why would it go back to the "granny" mode ?
Old 04-26-2013, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BM2BZ
just out of curiosity, arrie, how many times have you done this? if you drive "normal" after the reset, why would it go back to the "granny" mode ?

I have done this very many times.

My problem is that I drive 85-90% highway, i.e. my gas pedal does not see much action. This teaches the car that I have a very "Granny like" driving habit. My car changes to granny style in about a week.

This is the feature these cars have. They adjust to the drivers habits, i.e. if you are a heavy foot driver it stays like that but in my case it gets fooled as I drive constant speed highways so much. If this feature could be disabled I would have it done but doubt MB would do this as lobng as the car is under warranty.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w212 E550
thanks for clear things up, arrie . this feature has been around for quite a long time but i probably just didn't know how to reset on my previous cars. i was driving under sport mode most of the time before but up until i found out this reset. i told my technician about the throttle delay while i was in for service b few months back and he did this for me. night and day! i didn't use sport mode from that day and on .

i'm the other way around. i drive over 90% in urban, very low speed limit, area and i'm fairly heavy footed. but i sure don't mind to have my car reborn every now and then .
Old 04-29-2013, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w212 E550
Ok,

I did the procedure again but now it took 2 min 15 seconds for the speedo to lit up.

Works every time though. The car is like re-born with much faster reaction to the gas pedal.
ok, i was waiting for my wife to exchange something yesterday and was a little bored inside the car. i did the pcm reset. i followed every single step carefully and did nothing wrong. but the cluster remained on the whole time . i was expecting/hoping if there was some message to pop up but no luck. so i waited about 15 minutes and did the whole thing again. same thing happened. in fact, i waited almost three minutes in both times for something to light up. i didn't want to do it again but once i started the engine and reversed out of the stall, some strange thing happened ! i felt like the steering is a bit tighter and i really like it that way . not sure if i was dreaming on that one or not but the gas pedal reaction is much more responsive, similar to in sport mode . so my point is even the cluster remained on the whole time and no special message popped out, as long as you follow the procedure, the reset is extremely simple to do and well worth the 2-3 minutes of your valuable time . thanks again, arrie ! btw, a simple exchange turned out to be a crazy *** shopping spree .
Old 04-29-2013, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ok, i was waiting for my wife to exchange something yesterday and was a little bored inside the car. i did the pcm reset. i followed every single step carefully and did nothing wrong. but the cluster remained on the whole time . i was expecting/hoping if there was some message to pop up but no luck. so i waited about 15 minutes and did the whole thing again. same thing happened. in fact, i waited almost three minutes in both times for something to light up. i didn't want to do it again but once i started the engine and reversed out of the stall, some strange thing happened ! i felt like the steering is a bit tighter and i really like it that way . not sure if i was dreaming on that one or not but the gas pedal reaction is much more responsive, similar to in sport mode . so my point is even the cluster remained on the whole time and no special message popped out, as long as you follow the procedure, the reset is extremely simple to do and well worth the 2-3 minutes of your valuable time . thanks again, arrie ! btw, a simple exchange turned out to be a crazy *** shopping spree .

Good you got it working.

I'm not sure the cluster needs to lit up but mine does.

Now put it back on Sports mode...
Old 04-29-2013, 08:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
E550
This teaches the car that I have a very "Granny like" driving habit.
God! My car entered Granny Mode at 50 miles and has stayed there up to 33,000 miles!

Maybe I'm a "Granny?" Well, a Grampie, anyway.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-30-2013, 05:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w212 E550
Good you got it working.

I'm not sure the cluster needs to lit up but mine does.

Now put it back on Sports mode...
no, i don't want to put it on sport mode. it's already responsive enough and don't want to get spoiled too much. or i'll have to get an e63 later .
Old 04-30-2013, 05:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w212 E550
Originally Posted by Nuru
OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i know, huh ?
Old 02-10-2019, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
1999 SL 500 & 2011 E 550 4Matic
Originally Posted by BPhillyBenz
I use the armrest storage flap to hold a tire pressure gauge instead of a pen.
Since some one pointed out "In the center armrest storage compartment, one of the flaps has a "PEN HOLDER"." ... I just put my tire pressure gauge there. Thanks for the tip.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:12 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 GLE 63S AMG SUV, 2015 GLA 250 (Previously: 2010 MB E550 (V8, 5.5L))
Closing or opening all windows and sunroof/pano with your key fob

Great thread! I am always trying to find out if there is anything I have not yet discovered. I am close to (a very young!) 60 and I get giddy every time I climb into my e550 V8/5.5l - what an engine!
One which I think everyone is aware of, but I don't remember seeing mentioned here, is that you can open all the windows and sunroof on a hot day (or close them) by pointing the remote at the driver door handle (within one to two yards, varies between models and MY), and pressing lock (or unlock) and holding it in, until opening (or closing) is complete.
If you have cooled seats, those are turned on also, making for a much cooler car after being parked for a few hours on a hot day.

What I have yet to get to work, is the park-assist feature. The P shows up on the instrument cluster when I am going slow enough, and having my right directional on intending to park, has never initiated the park-assist for me...any ideas?

My all-time favorite (and I think this only comes with the P2 package?), is the auto high/low beams. I literally blind every oncoming motorist when I drive any other vehicle, having been spoilt with the Benz and forgetting to hit the low beams .
What I don't have, is Distronic. Opinions welcomed from those who do...is it worth it and does anyone know if it can be added aftermarket? I am coming up on 100k miles, and don't know what I would replace it with if I had to. 'It' would have to be at least as good (meaning all the comforts, safety, performance and features you've all listed, and then some) if not better.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by fplouw
Great thread! I am always trying to find out if there is anything I have not yet discovered. I am close to (a very young!) 60 and I get giddy every time I climb into my e550 V8/5.5l - what an engine!
One which I think everyone is aware of, but I don't remember seeing mentioned here, is that you can open all the windows and sunroof on a hot day (or close them) by pointing the remote at the driver door handle (within one to two yards, varies between models and MY), and pressing lock (or unlock) and holding it in, until opening (or closing) is complete.
If you have cooled seats, those are turned on also, making for a much cooler car after being parked for a few hours on a hot day.

What I have yet to get to work, is the park-assist feature. The P shows up on the instrument cluster when I am going slow enough, and having my right directional on intending to park, has never initiated the park-assist for me...any ideas?

My all-time favorite (and I think this only comes with the P2 package?), is the auto high/low beams. I literally blind every oncoming motorist when I drive any other vehicle, having been spoilt with the Benz and forgetting to hit the low beams .
What I don't have, is Distronic. Opinions welcomed from those who do...is it worth it and does anyone know if it can be added aftermarket? I am coming up on 100k miles, and don't know what I would replace it with if I had to. 'It' would have to be at least as good (meaning all the comforts, safety, performance and features you've all listed, and then some) if not better.
I don’t think you need the blinker on the right side for the parking assist to come on. You need to use left blinker if you want the car to look for the space on the left side. Without blinker the car assumes right side and perhaps the blinker is keeping the system from coming on?

I have used mine only twice and it sees the empty spot when I just drive slow enough. An arrow comes to point on the right side of that P.
The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (01-08-2022)
Old 02-13-2019, 10:57 PM

Received 96 Likes on 69 Posts
2010 W212 E550 4matic
Originally Posted by fplouw

That 5.5 NA is truly a nice motor, when it works as it should.
I never use the Parking Assist, found that having the passenger side mirror dip when in R + rear camera are good enough.
The auto high beam is nice too, again, when it works.
Retrofitting Distronic might be too difficult a task, I was reading the other day on a tech car forum about the theoretical aspect of doing it and it's quite a task. Apart from new wiring and parts (long range radar and short range radars + control module + ESP premium unit + ABS unit ) there's a lot of coding involved and it's not all straight forward. If you're good with coding and have the right tools and time and $ it's definitely doable.
Having said that, here's a post from the Fatherland about someone who attempted it. Google translate might be useful if you're not a native. https://www.motor-talk.de/blogs/merc...-t5728192.html

Last edited by Oda112; 02-13-2019 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,718 Likes on 1,102 Posts
2016 E350 Sport

I don’t think you need the blinker on the right side for the parking assist to come on. You need to use left blinker if you want the car to look for the space on the left side. Without blinker the car assumes right side and perhaps the blinker is keeping the system from coming on?

I have used mine only twice and it sees the empty spot when I just drive slow enough. An arrow comes to point on the right side of that P.

I have only parallel parked using parking assist once, to see that it works, and it does. But there are not many parallel parking opportunities around here. Accordingly, some think it's a fluff feature...

HOWEVER, I use parking assist quite often to back the car into "perpendicular" parking spots... think about your typical Walmart, grocery store, restaurant, or any other shopping center parking lot. Tons of opportunities in these situations.

The trick is to identify the spot you desire to the right. Drive past it slowly until the right-hand arrow appears next to the blue "P" icon. Sometimes you will drive well past the point when you think you should have the arrow, so be patient. Once the arrow appears, stop the car, and with foot on the brake pedal, engage reverse. You should see the offer for parking assist in the dash. Press the "OK" button on the steering wheel and follow instructions. Pressing any other button by mistake (or changing gears) will cancel the operation. If the space you want is not flat, you may have to press the throttle VERY slightly, to get the car moving. Hover over the brake pedal without fail to take control if you feel you need to.

At some point while backing, the display will prompt you to engage forward drive. Without pressing the brake pedal, flick the tranny lever to "D" then watch it pull forward to straighten the car. It will then prompt you to engage Reverse again. The stytem will display when the operation is done. Engage "P" and you're done.

Alhough I use this feature frequently, I never really trust it entirely, So, I watch the backup camera carefully, and use the throttle sparingly. The system looks for and measures standard width open parking spots.. It will not engage extra wide spots, or two empty spots side-by-side.

This feature is fun to use, but not merely to impress others in the car. I've learned as a practical matter that it is very good at equally spacing your car between the vehicles to either side, which is a nice benefit to minimize risk of door dings. If your car is so equipped, try it, you might like it.

Last edited by DFWdude; 02-14-2019 at 10:11 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DFWdude:
CaliBenzDriver (01-12-2022), pierrejoliat (01-08-2022)
Old 02-14-2019, 08:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,718 Likes on 1,102 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
BTW, several Mercedes-Benz dealerships have posted you-tube videos demonstrating parking assist. Watching a couple of these in advance not only teaches you how to use it, but also inspires some confidence to try it yourself...

Old 02-24-2019, 06:08 AM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
2012 W212 E550 Sedan
GLOVE BOX BUSINESS CARD AND DRIVERS LICENSE SLOTS

Ridges take standard business cards while there are 2 slots for drivers license or credit card, etc all below the pen holder
Old 02-24-2019, 06:31 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
E350
Originally Posted by spigrimace
Ridges take standard business cards while there are 2 slots for drivers license or credit card, etc all below the pen holder
I thought that's what those were for. Thanks for the pic.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:27 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
E350
Digital Speedometer

I finally found one the other day that I had been looking for...
On the steering wheel menu, when on the Trip menu, scroll up (or down) and you will see various data about your speed, mileage, etc. I am glad I found the digital speedometer.

It's right there in the owners manual - just overlooked it.
Attached Thumbnails Cool/Useful features that I didn't know about-2019-02-24_7-25-14.bmp  
Old 05-23-2019, 02:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 Mercedes Benz E350
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the trunk release using your foot! If you're standing in front of your trunk and have your hands full, you simply waive your foot under the bumper and it'll open the trunk. It may take a few waves for you to find the sensor. I discovered this on my 2014 E350 by accident one day.
Old 01-08-2022, 02:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 E63s S212
One thing which I use always when parking my car for a reasonable length of time is the "disable keyless go" feature. I'm not sure if any of you have seen it, but Mercedes parked in driveways with the key inside the house can be fooled. One person goes up to the front door with a unit which will excite the key so it sends its signal, that thief's device sends the code back to another device which mimics the signals from the key at your car in the driveway and then the door handle is grabbed, the door unlocks, thief climbs in, starts the car, and drives off. The thief by your front door then gets back into the getaway car and leaves.

To disable this and really secure your car, double-press the lock button on the remote. The red light on the key will give a confirming "long blink." Give your car about ten seconds, and test. Standing right next to the car with your key in your hand, it will not unlock by grabbing the door handle. You must press the unlock button on the key.

This does not disable it on the car but rather on the key itself. So, if your spare key has NOT been disabled, someone can take your spare key and keyless go will work. To make sure it is secured, do the double-press on all keys and those keys will be disabled the same.

This also does not permanently change anything on the key. Once you press the unlock button on, say, Key1, that key resumes normal operation. All other keys will remain in the secured state if and only if they were put into the secured state. Again, it is per key, not per car.

Keep it safe!
The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (01-09-2022)
Old 01-08-2022, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E550 W212
Originally Posted by Avilly
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the trunk release using your foot! If you're standing in front of your trunk and have your hands full, you simply waive your foot under the bumper and it'll open the trunk. It may take a few waves for you to find the sensor. I discovered this on my 2014 E350 by accident one day.
I think that was available only on the refresh model, right?
Old 01-08-2022, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,086 Likes on 720 Posts
12 E350 4Matic 13 E350 4Matic AMG Sport
Originally Posted by E550W212
I think that was available only on the refresh model, right?
correct

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cool/Useful features that I didn't know about