E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Firmware update for BT audio?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w212 E350
Firmware update for BT audio?

I have a 2010 212 and currently stream BT audio via my Iphone(unauthorized hack). It works great except that you have to always reset everytime you restart the car.I'm not sure but it seems that the 2011s allow BT audio without the backdoor hack?If so, anyone know if the firmware can be updated at the dealers?

Last edited by Benzinini; 01-26-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:20 AM

SL55
I'd love to know the same thing.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:14 PM

w212 E350
See this entry from the 'cool hacks' thread; by Pntblnk

Apparently there is a fix on the way. My 11 E350 Bluetec connected to both phone and audio once after the initial pairing of my Iphone. The BT audio was enabled from the dealership. Never an issues after that initial set-up. My 11 E550 did not have the BT audio enabled and once I turned it on in the engineering menu it required external authorization every time I started the car. Real PITA! The phone would not connect either unless I authorized it separately as well. I ended up deleting my phone from both and then paired the phone only to BT.

When I called my SM to ask how to fix, he didn't know the functionality had even been released and was a little pissed that I knew about it and he didn't. Ended up going out to a car on the lot and walking him through the set-up to enable it so he could see for himself. He called his MB tech rep to discuss and said the tech rep acted surprised he found out about the function. Evidently they are testing some new code and haven't finalized yet. My SM explained that the Bluetecs didn't come of the assembly line until the fall and would have had the latest updates. He advised that the new software update should be out soon and he would wash the car and update the software when I he had
Old 02-16-2011, 03:18 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2023 XC60 PHEV, 2023 XC40 BEV
Could this be an "Apple" issue? I too went into my 2010 E350 W212 Engineering menu, enabling BT audio, and connected to my phone via external authorization.

I use an Android-based Verizon phone and since I went and did this, I have NEVER had to go back and re-authorize it.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts
2023 EQS 580
I had two different 2011 E550's. The first was an early build 2011 E550 and it didn’t have BT audio. The one I have now I had to pair it once and never again. It seems that the issue with having to pair it every time has to do with enabling it through the engineering menu and the easy fix would be to upgrade to the latest software.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S4
Originally Posted by Tjdehya
I had two different 2011 E550's. The first was an early build 2011 E550 and it didn’t have BT audio. The one I have now I had to pair it once and never again. It seems that the issue with having to pair it every time has to do with enabling it through the engineering menu and the easy fix would be to upgrade to the latest software.
+1

There are (at least) two versions of the COMAND manual for the 2011 E-class. I know this because our car originally came with "Edition A 2010" (does not have any info about BT Audio) which was then replaced with the latest version (IIRC, "Edition B 2011" which contained the appropriate sections for enabling and using BT Audio). The dealership did a software update that enabled the BT Audio.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:15 AM

w212 E350
Thanks for the info guys.Seems like a trip to the dealers is in my future.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:57 AM

'11 E350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Benzinini
Thanks for the info guys.Seems like a trip to the dealers is in my future.
Hi guys,

Just came back from the dealership from my first A schedule maintenance. I left the BT Audio features ON and candidly told the the dealer that the BT cannot maintain the pairing. They did verify the issue, they performed a software upgrade but still the same thing. So they thing is my COMMAND hardware. They are ordering a new one for me. So I do not think that this is a matter of software firmware thing. My car was built on July 2010 for one of the first 2011 model.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ml#post4527813
Old 02-21-2011, 11:12 AM

w212 E350
Originally Posted by hanjaya1
Hi guys,

Just came back from the dealership from my first A schedule maintenance. I left the BT Audio features ON and candidly told the the dealer that the BT cannot maintain the pairing. They did verify the issue, they performed a software upgrade but still the same thing. So they thing is my COMMAND hardware. They are ordering a new one for me. So I do not think that this is a matter of software firmware thing. My car was built on July 2010 for one of the first 2011 model.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ml#post4527813
Thanks for the info.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:17 PM

'11 E350 4MATIC
Fixed the BT Audio Guys.... yooohooo

Please see the link below:

https://mbworld.org/forums/4545064-post4.html

So.. what are you waiting for.... Let's call the dealer and get this things fixed. Good Luck!
Old 03-01-2011, 11:08 AM

w212 E350
Sounds fantastic. Cant wait...I hope I dont get the run around.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:42 PM

'11 350 4matic - '14 Stingray: Gone, BMW 530i, Porsche 944 Turbo, Porsche 356, Mitsubishi 3000GT
Getting mine done this Friday. Dealer was great. Said "bring it in"
Old 03-01-2011, 07:41 PM

'11 E350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by BPhillyBenz
Getting mine done this Friday. Dealer was great. Said "bring it in"
Make sure that the bluetooth audio option is turned ON from the engineering menu when you bring the car to the dealer. That way you can demonstrate your point that this feature is not working properly. Good luck and please let us know the update.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:10 PM

E350 CDI
Originally Posted by samkimg
Could this be an "Apple" issue? I too went into my 2010 E350 W212 Engineering menu, enabling BT audio, and connected to my phone via external authorization.

I use an Android-based Verizon phone and since I went and did this, I have NEVER had to go back and re-authorize it.
I have a 2010 E350 and have enabled the BT streaming via procedure on here (thanks all!). I am using an HTC Desire (android) phone and did not even have to reconnect it. Just selected 'Bluetooth audio' and it started playing tunes from my phone. I have also noticed that with the Android phone I do not have to re-authorize every time i get into the car. So I think it may be related to an 'Apple' issue.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
Originally Posted by mkchappo
I have a 2010 E350 and have enabled the BT streaming via procedure on here (thanks all!). I am using an HTC Desire (android) phone and did not even have to reconnect it. Just selected 'Bluetooth audio' and it started playing tunes from my phone. I have also noticed that with the Android phone I do not have to re-authorize every time i get into the car. So I think it may be related to an 'Apple' issue.
This is exactly how my iPhone 3GS works. I doubt that it is an Apple issue.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:05 PM

'11 E350 4MATIC
The issue with Bluetooth Audio Streaming happened for 2010 to early 2011 build vehicles. In my case, I have the early 2011 build in July 2010. With this issue, I have to activate audio bluetooth from engineering menu and always lost paring capability everytime I cycle the iginition. Mercedes has the software update for the Command. That's what I did.

It appeas that MB resolved this issues now. All current MY2011 build has no issue with this and you can stream BT audio without any modificiation. Just normal pairing procedure once. Somebody mentioned that the BT audio is now officially in the 2011 operator's manual.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:52 PM

w212 E350
Is there a charge for this update?I just got off the phone with a service tech at FJ mercedes in Newport Beach and was made to believe there is a charge for the update?
He is supposed to call me back to verify this . Maybe I approached it wrong and should have said it was working correctly and just started having issues recently?

Last edited by Benzinini; 03-03-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:15 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
2017 S550 Iridium / Black Nappa, 2015 GL 550 Paladium Silver
I had mine updated this afternoon at no charge from Tallahassee FL M-B. They may think you are talking about the Nav maps...that they charge for.
Took about 4 hours to update all the modules provided. BT audio is seamless now and no more authentication. I need to play with the menu to find the "boost" function posted earlier. Happy camper here!
Old 03-03-2011, 04:26 PM

'11 E350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Benzinini
Is there a charge for this update?I just got off the phone with a service tech at FJ mercedes in Newport Beach and was made to believe there is a charge for the upgrade? He is supposed to call me back to verify this . Maybe I approached it wrong and should have said it was working correctly and just started having issues recently?
This is covered under warranty. Please see the link I provided above and bring the prove if necessary.

In my case, I activated the Audio Bluetooth first. So it is now shown in the Audio drop down menu. Note: Almost none of them knew that MB has this feature. I had to demonstrate in front of the technician and making sure that this NOT the phone BT but the Audio BT issues. I showed them that it will play the music onced it paired with my phone. Then it lost the pairing once I cycled the ignition.
(Note: I did not mention anything about hacking the system through Engineering menu, etc).

The mentality you need to have is that:
The BT Audio feature was there before when you got it -->you prove it --> It works --> now it does not... so please fix it.

I had the dealer almost changed the Command ($6000) and the dealer had to call their own shop foreman to look at the issue. Finally they took care the issue by flashing the Command software.

As the last effort, please feel free to print out my service record and show it to your service advisor. If your car still under warranty, then they should take care this issue.

It pisses me off that Daimler AG allowed the Command supplier to have un-finished software to be released in production and having the real customers like us as their Software Design Validation. Im running an engineering project for Daimler EV. If my software is not done at their K-matrix release, they will be all over me and I will not sleep until issues are fixed..

Anyway... it should be free of charge! Good luck Benzinini and always be nice to them since we are asking favor...
Old 03-03-2011, 04:39 PM

w212 E350
Thanks a lot for your help. I think the problem is that I just called over the phone to schedule an appointment instead of just driving in there to demonstrate the issue. The service tech most probably didnt know exactly what I meant. Anyway he is supposed to call me back with info.I will just probably have to drive in there this weekend.If this fails here I will just have to drive a little further to the dealership I bought it from and am sure it will be updated.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:11 PM

'11 E350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Pntblnk
I had mine updated this afternoon at no charge from Tallahassee FL M-B. They may think you are talking about the Nav maps...that they charge for.
Took about 4 hours to update all the modules provided. BT audio is seamless now and no more authentication. I need to play with the menu to find the "boost" function posted earlier. Happy camper here!
Pntblnk,
Look at the BT audio left lower corner, click, choose volume, click, and choos boost.

Hope that help.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:04 PM

Pntblnk,
Look at the BT audio left lower corner, click, choose volume, click, and choos boost.

Hope that help.
Thanks for the tip. I found it a little while ago and HOLY CRAP does that boost the bass! I was playing the Pea's when I hit boost and had to turn the volume down a couple clicks. The bass was thumpin.

Only issue I had was when I took a call while streaming and then hung up the BT audio showed "paused"
The only way I was able to resume play was to hit play on my Iphone. Is this the same for you all?
Old 03-03-2011, 09:31 PM

'11 E350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Pntblnk
Thanks for the tip. I found it a little while ago and HOLY CRAP does that boost the bass! I was playing the Pea's when I hit boost and had to turn the volume down a couple clicks. The bass was thumpin.

Only issue I had was when I took a call while streaming and then hung up the BT audio showed "paused"
The only way I was able to resume play was to hit play on my Iphone. Is this the same for you all?
Mine will go straight back to the music automatically. How about pressing the mute/unmute button on the steering wheel? If not, try to press the play symbol/ pause symbol from the command. At least you do not have to reach your cellphone. Are you using Iphone 4 or else?
Old 03-04-2011, 05:39 PM

'11 350 4matic - '14 Stingray: Gone, BMW 530i, Porsche 944 Turbo, Porsche 356, Mitsubishi 3000GT
hanjaya1- Thanks again for the tip. Dealership is doing it today for me as well as some other updates. Pick the car up Monday...meanwhile I am ripping up the roads in a SL loaner (not really, its a c300)
Old 03-04-2011, 06:17 PM

Mine will go straight back to the music automatically. How about pressing the mute/unmute button on the steering wheel? If not, try to press the play symbol/ pause symbol from the command. At least you do not have to reach your cellphone. Are you using Iphone 4 or else?
I have only taken a couple of calls since I had the update done and not sure if I can resume from command, I did try the mute / unmute bottom with no avail. I'll try the play button over the weekend to see if it does the trick.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Firmware update for BT audio?