E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Honest opinions from those with 19's plz

Old 02-13-2011, 10:50 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 Audi S8 Plus/ 2011 Mercedes e550 4Matic//Gone:1985 500SEL/2000 e320 4Matic/ 2001 e55 Kleeman
Originally Posted by K-A
I'm also one of the old farts that don't want a jarring E-Class ride. Musta been a rough 29 years of existence so far for me, eh?

I think 19's look perfect on the E, and I'd go there myself, if it weren't for the decreased ride quality. I think 18's are almost perfect. 20's I'm split with, as 80% of the time, they look foolish and disproportionate on an E sized and proportioned body IMO, and sometimes, they look fitted and proper (like FTB's setup).

Another issue I have with lowering and big-wheeling a car like an E-Class, is that it takes me back to my slammed-to-the-floor Mustang days. My Mustang's shocks ended up blowing, and did the wonderful "thud" when I'd hit a bump. I imagine that those lowering E's without upgrading the shocks, will over time encounter the same problem, which is waaay hooptie for an E.

Also, my Mom and her boyfriend used to have E60's 5-Series'. My Mom had the boring version, all stock, and her BF, has his all souped up, dropped, on 19's. Her car was solid, and his sounded like it was falling apart when it hit bumps. Just an obvious outcome of mileage taxing the car extra, as the suspension did little to absorb roughness. It squeaked, creaked, groaned, the interior was noisy and rattly, etc., and sounded belittling to a Luxury Car like a 5'er.

To each their own. To me, the Luxury's 17's and ride height are no-go's for my styling needs, but the Sport is just right. To some, the Sport's isn't aggressive enough. I do know that I'd never buy a Used model with a lowered suspension and/or extra large rims (for reasons that I mentioned above).

.... And to close this lengthy post, I will reiterate as to how the Sports suspension and 18" wheels are too rough and unforgiving for an E-Class on rough roads as it is (but brilliant on smooth roads), considering this isn't a great handling, or sporty car on the other hand either. But, as I've said before, the things we sacrifice for some vanity.
Well said and a lot of good points. The stiffer suspensions and lower profile tires will turn you car into a rattle box well before it's time. But I do think that the move to ever bigger rims for the general riding public is a disservice by the auto companies to charge more for bigger rims, they almost make you feel unhip if you don't buy the bigger rims. What they don't tell the unknowing buyer is the very material downside of bigger rims, less comfort, more flats, bent rims, more wear on your body, more eventual rattles. I do think that many of the people who have moved to bigger rims are now discovering the downside, since when you think about it this is a trend of the last 10 or so years, and will move back toward more sensible and appropriate rim sizes. The e's in the early 1990's probably had 15's, my 2000 "e" had 16's, and it seems to me that 17's are more than big enough. After that, it is diminishing returns as far as performance and all of the associated negatives. The downside issues are no doubt less in regions without harsh winters and hence better roads, but to have the auto companies push people to bigger rims in the midwest and northeast is bordering on the criminal, especially in cars with all wheel drive. And someone on this thread questioned my meaning of the humorous reference to 'the hood. Has he been living under a cultural rock? I need to explain that? Wow. Regards. Ned.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Titleist
Since the invention of the wheel, such debates continue. Fads, fashion, trendsetting, evolution, revolution...and so the saga continues...

From the beginning of time, enthusiasts have been enthusiastically posting their beliefs. However, long before Al Gore invented the internet, the caveman etched in the ground,

-Stone wheel, good.

Then came...

-Big wheel better.

To which another replied..

-Big wheel chip.

Then another etched...

-Big wheel handle better...big wheel keep a turnin', rollin, rollin.

Fast forward a bit, then came another etching...

-Wood good for wheel.

To which the next replied...

-Oak make better wheel...

Then the rebuttal:

-Redwood make bigger.

You see, they discovered the use of trees. Then, etching became easier as they would then post their beliefs in the trees, in the form of carvings.

Yup, fads, fashions, trends, evolution, revolution. It continues in perpetuity.

-Wide white walls.
-Cars jacked up in the rear.
-Curb feelers.
-Cars lowered.
-Cars lifted.
-East LA, cars lowered and lifted, hydraulically

Man, wheel, car, posting....

GOOD

Last edited by golfster; 02-13-2011 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by EmE247
Julio,

I'd be rolling 22's if the stupid things would fit in my wheel wells.

Regards,
Ned
Hey you could always cut your fenders and fit these wheels on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DqdWlAcrnA

Im thinking about doing it
Old 02-13-2011, 12:57 PM

2016 Audi S8 Plus/ 2011 Mercedes e550 4Matic//Gone:1985 500SEL/2000 e320 4Matic/ 2001 e55 Kleeman
Originally Posted by Tjdehya
Hey you could always cut your fenders and fit these wheels on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DqdWlAcrnA

Im thinking about doing it
Wow!!!!!!!! Outstanding. While I can't see doing 19's or 20's, 30's are reaching into my inner manhood. And I could give up watching "Glee" and get my Mojo back!! Regards. Ned.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:06 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 E550 Coupe and 2010 E350 Sedan
I run 19s on H&R springs. I was pleasantly surprised in the continued great ride of the car afterwards. There is still some settling that needs to occur, but so far, the ride has not been comprised much to me, and the car looks and drives great.

Some people change things on their car, in this case wheels and suspension b/c they feel like the car is ALMOST perfect. To me, I don't care for the stock wheels, and by my thread on them, you can see they aren't anything crazy. Lowering the car and "slamming" it are also two different things.

And putting 30" wheels on a car is just plain stupid. That is when things become "ghetto/hood."

Exotics run with larger wheels, low-profile tires, and lowered suspension. But then I guess Ferrari, Lamborghini, and the likes must be hood.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by SnakeDoctor
I run 19s on H&R springs. I was pleasantly surprised in the continued great ride of the car afterwards. There is still some settling that needs to occur, but so far, the ride has not been comprised much to me, and the car looks and drives great.

Some people change things on their car, in this case wheels and suspension b/c they feel like the car is ALMOST perfect. To me, I don't care for the stock wheels, and by my thread on them, you can see they aren't anything crazy. Lowering the car and "slamming" it are also two different things.

And putting 30" wheels on a car is just plain stupid. That is when things become "ghetto/hood."

Exotics run with larger wheels, low-profile tires, and lowered suspension. But then I guess Ferrari, Lamborghini, and the likes must be hood.
Touche!! I hear what your saying about Ferrari, etc., but where I live the few of those that I see(I'm in an upscale area of NJ) are most certainly not daily drivers, most people don't even take those cars out much in the good weather, just not practical on NY metro roads. A vast majority of the people on this forum use their e's as everyday rides. I hear you, but still don't fully understand. As far as I'm concerned, after 17 inch rims, it's diminishing returns. Regards. Ned.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:26 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 E550 Coupe and 2010 E350 Sedan
Originally Posted by ngerstman
Touche!! I hear what your saying about Ferrari, etc., but where I live the few of those that I see(I'm in an upscale area of NJ) are most certainly not daily drivers, most people don't even take those cars out much in the good weather, just not practical on NY metro roads. A vast majority of the people on this forum use their e's as everyday rides. I hear you, but still don't fully understand. As far as I'm concerned, after 17 inch rims, it's diminishing returns. Regards. Ned.
I can't argue with that. I guess finding a sweet spot between performance and looks is where people go 18, 19, maaaaaybe 20.

Afterall, most people when choosing a car, consider looks. So it shouldn't be surprising when people change things to make their car look better to them.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 335
Good stuff guys.

I'm still undecided at this point, but leaning towards 19's. The main reason is that there are many more wheels to choose from in that size. It's getting to the point that some companies don't even make anything under 20".

I saw an add in DuPont Registry that listed Vossen VSS085's in 19's....I was so stoked! Then I checked the Vossen site and only 20's were listed. Sent an email for confirmation and blah...can't get 19's. Oh well.

Here are a few I like...

I know that some people won't like any of them...so be it
Attached Thumbnails Honest opinions from those with 19's plz-vossen-vvs083.jpg   Honest opinions from those with 19's plz-lexani-lss10-.jpg   Honest opinions from those with 19's plz-vertini-hennessey.jpg  

Last edited by tarsky68; 02-15-2011 at 08:40 PM. Reason: pics didn't show
Old 02-15-2011, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 335
Hmmm, not sure why pics didnt show up...working on that.