E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

E550 SprintBooster first impressions/review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 02:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Black W212 E550
E550 SprintBooster first impressions/review

I received the SprintBooster from ThrootleBooster yesterday (thanks Ken) and I thought I would share my initial impressions:

1. Shipping, packaging, etc were excellent. I received it within a few days of the email notifications from ThrottleBooster that it would be shipping
  2. The installation (no carpet cutting required) was simple and straightforward. It took longer to find/get the racket and socket wrench out than to install the product. BTW I followed samkings instructions to the letter which were posted on the forum
Initial impressions:
  1. First let me share with you my style of driving. I almost always feather the pedal (I'm light on it pedal vs stomp on it) during normal driving, passing, or weaving in and out of traffic (which to some extent exacerbated my perceived pedal lag).
  2. Since I feather the pedal the first thing I noticed was the responsiveness from a dead stop. Which with my style was impressive, the car got up to 35-40 (in green mode) with a touch of the pedal which is displayed by the graph on the SprintBooster home page.
  3. If I was a heavy footed (stomp on the pedal) driver (which I'm not) I could have pounded it and perhaps gotten the same result. I also noticed that with the product installed the acceleration seems a lot smoother and it felt like the car was working as hard as when it the SprintBooster was off.
  4. The most interesting benefit seem to be from about 25-30 when I was cruising (no paddles in use and in the C setting) and the car moving along in a high gear. What I notice in this situation when I hit the pedal to pass or accelerated the transition to a lower gear seemed to be more instantaneous and smooth, as opposed to old hit the press the pedal, wait, followed by blast off. This was exactly one of the benefits I was looking for with the product.
    1. This resolved the issue I had raised and was mentioned by KA which had to do with being stuck in traffic then needing to jump into the next lane into a small opening (no lag no waiting for the kick in)
  5. When I pounded (stomped the pedal) in green or red from a stop or a slow roll the performance was about the same after the first 5-10 mph.
Conclusion:

• I like the product it resolved the issues I was looking for it address due to my style of driving. The car seemed to be more responsive and didn't feel as if it was working as hard as you ease out from a complete stop, and the kick down change from a higher gear to a lower gear was extremely/noticeably smoother.
I hope this is useful for those of you trying to decide if this is the right mode for your car.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 E550 Sport Sedan Blk/Blk
Great review!
Old 04-12-2011, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'11 350 4matic - '14 Stingray: Gone, BMW 530i, Porsche 944 Turbo, Porsche 356, Mitsubishi 3000GT
Nice Going Rich. Good review. Glad your patience and diligence paid off. Welcome to the club...It really is a great product/mod. Only thing to watch (as I mentioned to you yesterday)...don't have that bad boy in ”red" mode in reverse (I always keep mine in green anyway). Enjoy...
B.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:15 PM

Help finding instructions?

I can't seem to find those instructions you reference in the forum. Could you tell me what to search for? Thanks.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:48 PM

2011 E350, 2008 GL550
Originally Posted by BPhillyBenz
Nice Going Rich. Good review. Glad your patience and diligence paid off. Welcome to the club...It really is a great product/mod. Only thing to watch (as I mentioned to you yesterday)...don't have that bad boy in ”red" mode in reverse (I always keep mine in green anyway). Enjoy...
B.
What happens in red mode in reverse?
Old 04-20-2011, 05:22 PM

'11 350 4matic - '14 Stingray: Gone, BMW 530i, Porsche 944 Turbo, Porsche 356, Mitsubishi 3000GT
Originally Posted by voy2k
What happens in red mode in reverse?
Nothing bad, it just feels like gained 50 more hp, so you REALLY need to feather it. Truth be told, great product, great performance...once u have one, your instincts will kick in on which "mode" to be in.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:27 PM

2011 E350, 2008 GL550
Originally Posted by BPhillyBenz
Nothing bad, it just feels like gained 50 more hp, so you REALLY need to feather it. Truth be told, great product, great performance...once u have one, your instincts will kick in on which "mode" to be in.
Cool, thanks. It sounds perfect for one of those "I'm outta here!" situations...
Old 04-20-2011, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by voy2k
Cool, thanks. It sounds perfect for one of those "I'm outta here!" situations...
Bravo. Nicely stated.