MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   Anyone seen or own a Diamond White E sedan? (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/413201-anyone-seen-own-diamond-white-e-sedan.html)

SolidGranite 08-28-2011 02:56 PM

Anyone seen or own a Diamond White E sedan?

Has anyone seen or even own a Diamond White E class? I've seen this color on a coupe and thought it looked amazing. Strongly considering a diamond white E550 for my next purchase. If anyone has pics that would be great!

Thanks!

Live Oak 08-28-2011 04:50 PM

You won't see much in pics. It looks like Arctic white in photos, IMO.

The finish is really much better than Arctic White to the eye. Arctic White looks like Home Depot white gloss enamel in comparison, IMO. OTOH, a lot of folks like that real, true, solid WHITE! So it's a personal matter.

Diamond White has a depth and structure that make it worthwhile, and a richer color, slightly off-white.

Well, "worthwhile" is relative . . . it costs $1515 extra . . . . . $750 more than the metallics.

One concern is, can the dealer exactly reproduce that paint job in the case of body damage????

SolidGranite 08-28-2011 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Live Oak (Post 4810846)

The finish is really much better than Arctic White to the eye. Arctic White looks like Home Depot white gloss enamel in comparison, IMO. OTOH, a lot of folks like that real, true, solid WHITE! So it's a personal matter.

Diamond White has a depth and structure that make it worthwhile, and a richer color, slightly off-white.

Well, "worthwhile" is relative . . . it costs $1515 extra . . . . . $750 more than the metallics.

One concern is, can the dealer exactly reproduce that paint job in the case of body damage????

Good points. Having a body shop match the paint is actually my #1 concern. I used to own a Lexus with a very similar color and had serious mishaps with a body shop attempting to match my paint after a fender bender. What a nightmare.

Imothph 08-28-2011 06:06 PM

I looked at a diamond white E350 Sedan - The color is subjectively "better" than the standard Arctic White, but for me, not worth the price premium you pay to get it - I think its bad enough you need to pay $720 more if you want something other than Black or White, and the Arctic White is double that, or close. Unless money is no object, just think about the options you could add for that $1500. For me, I'd rather spend the money to get an option or two that would provide more direct and frequent "return" for their cost.

It would be different if the color was 100% unique or the only way to get that particular shade - but my guess is that unless you clean it fanatically, it will start to look like "regular white" after a coating of road dust - and if it looks like regular white....might as well be regular white. (I have the same opinion about the black / Obsidian Black...I had that on a previous car).

Live Oak 08-28-2011 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Imothph (Post 4810903)
it will start to look like "regular white" after a coating of road dust -

Real Mercedes owners never get road dust. :zoom:

jjksutton 08-28-2011 07:56 PM

I have diamond white and it was the only color I would take. For me, it's that much better. In the shade, no real big deal. In the sun...it's spectacular.

Imothph 08-28-2011 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Live Oak (Post 4811000)
Real Mercedes owners never get road dust. :zoom:

LOL - that's a trick I still need to learn.

jcbutta 08-28-2011 08:33 PM

My wife has a diamond white E350. I don't think its worth it. There is a difference, but not a BIG difference between it and arctic white. Save your money.

MB37 08-30-2011 03:28 PM

I have the diamond white. Look great in sun. Normal in the shades. Personally, it's like Lexus' starfire pearl. If you like white metallic and soft smooth white, it's for you. You really have to see it in person. Have the artic white and diamond white next to each other to compare. It's like comparing LCD TVs.

Remko 01-13-2012 04:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I now own a E220 CDI (got it a day before Christmas) in Diamond White and I must say... it looks fantastic. If you look at arctic and diamond white next to each other, there just is no doubt, the color is worth every cent...;)

Even when the car does have soem road dust on it, it still looks amazing although you need some light (sun or light posts etc). I have attached a pic for you to have a look.

btw... after reading a bit over here I see all of you guys complaining about not being able to enter adresses in the satnav while driving. Is that a restriction in the US? I live in Germany and the cars here just allow you to do that...

Regards Remko

K-A 01-13-2012 04:58 AM

It's a stunning color, but the difficulty of matching it and assumedly more prone to looking dirty (it's already a pearl white, so it can look increasingly "yellow" when it gets really dirty, which is a non-desirable thing for White paint) and probably not hiding swirls/scratches as well as a flat white make it possibly less easy than Arctic White.

I think it's a gorgeous look, and gives the designs some extra "pop" over A.W, however it's very subtle (which doesn't diminish the effect, just that it's not easily noticeable). However, A.W has its own perks, as it's a more sharp White White. To note, A.W is also a creamy White in itself, with some depth for a White, but more neutral than D.W.

bigigg 01-13-2012 06:46 AM

I have diamond white.. I think its subtle nothing too noticeable that pops out at you. To the untrained eye you could barely tell the difference between arctic white, unless in direct sunlight.. Also matching the paint would not be an easy task as it is a 3 step system(besides primer) the flake/metallic is in the "midcoat" base coat is just a regular white, soo lets say the body shop doeasnt spray enough flake,or too much than the paint wont match.

Busta Riles 01-13-2012 01:23 PM

Both of mine are diamond white. The colour is fantastic.

There is no charge in Canada on an E-Class for diamond white.

ngerstman 01-13-2012 01:47 PM

It seems that you are on your own, Solidgranite. The opinions run the gamut from I love it to don't waste your money. As someone who has an obsidian black e55, I probably would have gotten a plain black one with hindsight, because the straight black is just blacker!! But not by a big margin one way or the other. Is straight white whiter? Choosing a color variant is often based on wanting something that everyone else doesn't have anyway. When I bought my e550(in Indium grey, a less chosen color I might add), I really liked the platinum black, thinking it was the nicest color I had ever seen, but wasn't willing to wait or pay the premium. But I ramble!!! Good luck. Regards. Ned.

Busta Riles 01-13-2012 02:00 PM

Are you guys talking about 799 Diamond White being more expensive than a regular metallic...or are you talking about Designo Mystic White?

The colour i really wanted was Designo Magno Cashmere White (matte finish), but i wasn't excited about the $5500 price tag attached to it....or the hassle in trying to paint match later on.

bigigg 01-13-2012 02:09 PM

yess 799 diamond white..(pearl white)

YYZ-E55 01-13-2012 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Busta Riles (Post 5003710)

Not anymore - just released by MB Canada:

Effective February 1, 2012 – Please be aware that in an effort to align to other markets and due to the high production costs and very limited availability of Diamond White Metallic paint on all models, we will increase the price from $890 to $1,600 MSRP on C/GLK-Class and from no-charge ($0) to $890 on all other models

Paxfobiscum 01-13-2012 05:11 PM

I have a diamond white and it is much better (in my humble opinion) than the Artic white. What makes it really pop is that I have a wagon.

tresean1 04-05-2017 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Live Oak (Post 4810846)

Originally Posted by jjksutton (Post 4811007)
I have diamond white and it was the only color I would take. For me, it's that much better. In the shade, no real big deal. In the sun...it's spectacular.

Originally Posted by MB37 (Post 4813426)
I have the diamond white. Look great in sun. Normal in the shades. Personally, it's like Lexus' starfire pearl. If you like white metallic and soft smooth white, it's for you. You really have to see it in person. Have the artic white and diamond white next to each other to compare. It's like comparing LCD TVs.

Originally Posted by Remko (Post 5003164)
I now own a E220 CDI (got it a day before Christmas) in Diamond White and I must say... it looks fantastic. If you look at arctic and diamond white next to each other, there just is no doubt, the color is worth every cent...;)

Even when the car does have soem road dust on it, it still looks amazing although you need some light (sun or light posts etc). I have attached a pic for you to have a look.

btw... after reading a bit over here I see all of you guys complaining about not being able to enter adresses in the satnav while driving. Is that a restriction in the US? I live in Germany and the cars here just allow you to do that...

Regards Remko

Originally Posted by Busta Riles (Post 5003710)

Originally Posted by Paxfobiscum (Post 5004120)
I have a diamond white and it is much better (in my humble opinion) than the Artic white. What makes it really pop is that I have a wagon.

For those of you guys who have the diamond white paint, is it really as hard to keep clean as they say? What are some of the major pros of the pain, as far as uniqueness and wow factor? Would you be willing to post some pics of your diamond white vehicle?

Diamond White W212 04-05-2017 09:57 PM

Surprised I didn't see this sooner (See screen name)
I think it looks best in low light such as at sundown. In bright sunlight, you can't really tell its a pearl coat.

Its not any harder to keep clean than my white Malibu (company car) and a lot easier than the Space Gray 335 and 328i I have

tresean1 04-05-2017 10:12 PM

^cool, I see in your signature you wrote "debadged sides"--what does that mean?

BlownS4 04-07-2017 08:09 PM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...2659734876.jpg
Diamond White just washed and in a garage.

tresean1 04-07-2017 09:36 PM

looks good. what wheels are those? do you have partial black door handles, or is that just the lighting?

can't wait to get mine!!!