E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Need to find a new second-car, any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 02:47 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by EmE247
I C in your not too distant future...

Surprise surprise...

ANOTHER white W212...

Seriously tho, I still can't stop admiring the nicely modded W211s whenever I c one...
LOL! I'll admit, I did drive a 2012 W212 to see how I liked it.... And you know what color combo I'd get! Fortunately, I like the extra power but it wasn't enough to entice me for a trade. Also, apparently I got such a good deal on this current car (unfortunately couldn't say the same about the 2010 I got during the first year of the W212's launch, so they kind of average each other out) that they said there's no way they could get me similar payments at this time.

Regarding the second car, here's an update on a Focus (which I was considering):

I drove around a Loaded Hatch last weekend, and it really is a remarkable little car. The interior bits feel great, especially for a Ford at that price point, the doors slam with a strong and sturdy thunk that's trying to do its best Mercedes impression (successfully), the HVAC units and switches feel extremely upmarket (I'd probably say better than the cheapo unit from the C-Class they threw in the new CLS). Lots of sharp lighting giving ambiance at night (cheesy green, but it fits the youthful-fun-little-car "techy" vibe), and it's a pretty zippy and fun to drive little thing.

Main problems I had with it were the same I had with the first one I drove (exact same setup), which is a loud buzz/rattle coming from the dashboard area, and this particular one (Rental Car) had a terribly bass-y exhaust. I think it must have had a hole in it or something.... Unless Ford is dumb enough to try and rake in the Ricer crowd whist alienating those who want a quality drive. It's otherwise decently quiet I think.

If the small size didn't put me off so much (it's actually very roomy for what it is, and is quite wide, but small cars get me kinda paranoid) I'd be really interested in one of those.

IPP: I'm not the biggest "catch" for the Cooper segment, however, I'll admit I'm warming up to those kinds of cars. They'd be a great contrast to a big-ish Benz Sedan, and if it was just a City Car I needed, I'd so consider something like that. As crazy as it sounds, for some reason I kinda love the new body Beetle! Would be a fun little toy. Problem is I'm just kinda paranoid in little cars and even the Focus felt a bit too tightly proportioned for me.

As for the update, nothing yet. Been searching aggressively and just can't either find something I'd be willing to shell out dough for, and also keep convincing myself (successfully) that buying a second car to keep my Leased one in the garage (to credit, also so I don't go over miles) is a irrational decision unless I buy the car after the Lea$$$$e (possible, but Residual is artificially high). I do really want another car on an emotional level though, it's fun.

Problem is, what I *need* is something boring, for these long distance trips (efficiency, space, safety are all the only real priorities) but I'd like to spend my money on something fun!

The Kia Optima is pretty enticing I must say, seems like it might be a good "meet at the middle". They haven't depreciated too much yet though.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:10 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by EmE247
Seriously tho, I still can't stop admiring the nicely modded W211s whenever I c one...
Funny, same exact thing here. I will always love the W211 body, I was a huge proponent of that body style and its classic/understated/feminine-ish yet not "girly"/elegant nature when the W212 came out and I Owned a W211, and I still am now.

I'd LOVE a W211 as a second car. I mean, you can get E55's or E550's for the prices of these newer Econ cars I'm looking at! Problem is, an M-B healthily Used with no Warranty from that era can be a real crapshoot. Just freaked about getting a bad one.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
The W211 body and design was a classic. Actually almost all MB designs are classic. I love seeing MBs from the 70's, 80's, and 90's on the road. Each model always distinctive, and, they age well.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:33 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

I agree. That's first and foremost why I'm an M-B enthusiast. I'd love to own a W126, W140, W210, W211, and obviously anything from the 70's and prior, etc. I have an appreciation for all M-B's and feel they are one of the rare brands with no misstep models, especially before the mide-late 90's (when they started experimenting more, some didn't necessarily make the cut as well).

What I love about Classic and Modern-Classic M-B's are that you can be assured that they're one of the rare older cars that are still built to a high Safety code. Back in the 80's and 90's, and even the early 2000's, lots of very common and popular cars were flimsy death traps, while M-B's have always been ahead of the curve by a wide margin (these days they are still leaders, but the industry has finally caught up in a general sense).
Old 12-02-2011, 08:48 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
all think tanking aside: when are you getting a car main?
Old 12-02-2011, 09:02 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

I dunno, lol. It's like a joke how back and forth I am on this. Every week I say "this week". At this point I feel like I just want one, rational or not. I'm actively looking and just waiting for something to "click" I guess. On the other hand it's like I'm putting myself on a wild goose chase just to spin my wheels.

We'll see what happens..
Old 12-02-2011, 09:33 AM
ipp

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W166 ML350 BT
Originally Posted by K-A
As crazy as it sounds, for some reason I kinda love the new body Beetle! Would be a fun little toy. Problem is I'm just kinda paranoid in little cars and even the Focus felt a bit too tightly proportioned for me.
+1 on the Newest new Beetle...

GTI DSG?
Old 12-02-2011, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 4Matic, 2002 M3 Vert
Originally Posted by K-A
Funny, same exact thing here. I will always love the W211 body, I was a huge proponent of that body style and its classic/understated/feminine-ish yet not "girly"/elegant nature when the W212 came out and I Owned a W211, and I still am now.

I'd LOVE a W211 as a second car. I mean, you can get E55's or E550's for the prices of these newer Econ cars I'm looking at! Problem is, an M-B healthily Used with no Warranty from that era can be a real crapshoot. Just freaked about getting a bad one.
What is your budget? Get one that is certified and you should be fine.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:25 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 Audi S8 Plus/ 2011 Mercedes e550 4Matic//Gone:1985 500SEL/2000 e320 4Matic/ 2001 e55 Kleeman
How about a motorcycle. No headroom problems for your tall frame. The sky's the limit!! Regards. Ned.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 323 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
I do not get it. Its a lease. Even with extra milage penalty, it's still a lot less than a second car. Just enjoy and do not worry about it.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:12 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
haha Ned, you always crack me up
Old 12-02-2011, 04:16 PM

2016 Audi S8 Plus/ 2011 Mercedes e550 4Matic//Gone:1985 500SEL/2000 e320 4Matic/ 2001 e55 Kleeman
Originally Posted by hyperion667
haha Ned, you always crack me up
K-A can even get a side car for dates!! Regards. Ned.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes e350 BlueTec
While it may not meet any of your criteria, have you considered (and driven) a 2012 Passat Diesel. It's worth a look.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:24 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by ngerstman
How about a motorcycle. No headroom problems for your tall frame. The sky's the limit!! Regards. Ned.
Hmm, good idea. Talk about a smooth and serene 600 mile round trip!

Originally Posted by SolidGranite
What is your budget? Get one that is certified and you should be fine.
Under $20K out the door is what I'd be looking for I think.

Originally Posted by ghstudio
While it may not meet any of your criteria, have you considered (and driven) a 2012 Passat Diesel. It's worth a look.
That would be such a great commuter work-horse car! The fact that I find its looks incredibly boring, ubiquitous and bland (yet still relatively Germanic so I can find appreciation in its clean simplicity) would make it even more carefree to have. Main issue with that car is that depreciation hasn't set in and it still sits slightly over my price point.

Originally Posted by threeMBs
I do not get it. Its a lease. Even with extra milage penalty, it's still a lot less than a second car. Just enjoy and do not worry about it.
This is definitely true and by far the smartest way of going about it. Problem with overpaying for the Lease with extra mileage is that I feel like the money is going to nothing, while at least with a second car it's like I can use that money toward a second car. However, obviously by not using the E as much, my money put toward that car every month isn't being put to as much use as well, lol.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
15 E200CGI SPORT
Originally Posted by K-A

The Kia Optima is pretty enticing I must say, seems like it might be a good "meet at the middle". They haven't depreciated too much yet though.
I've ordered one which is fully loaded and is likely to be arriving within this 3-4 weeks. It's about SGD33k over here and the car has so much more tech compared to my C-class. I can't say much safety wise but I would would not compare a car which is 33k to a car which cost 80k and expect the same results.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get an Acura TL or better TL with SH-AWD. You can drive this car up to 200k miles with moderate and inexpensive maintenance. I have a 2001 3.2 CL Type S with 259k miles and just drove it across five states (1200 miles) two months back. For high-mileage driving, no other car can beat an Acura in durability and ride quality.

Hyundai and Kia are nice but they are not even close to Acura when it comes to quality and durability (and MPGs)

Originally Posted by K-A
I drive a lot of long distance. After I got my 2011 E, I sold my '09 Chevy Malibu, which I had for over 2 years, put on 30K miles, rarely washed, parked outside, treated like a long-distance work-horse, and sold for only $200 less than I bought it for, now with the intent to drive the E on all the trips and all the time.

Now, after almost 5 months, and already over halfway near my yearly Lease 10K Mileage allowance, I think a new #2 is in order. More importantly, I tend to get VERY sick of cars that I drive all the time, as normal day-to-day things. When I can relatively pamper and keep my cars on somewhat of a "pedestal", they will keep a sense-of-occasion and make me feel like a million bucks (like my E). Also, the long distance driving eventually wears away at the cars front end look (bugs, rocks, debris, etc.), and at this pace, I'll be sick of my car before I know it, and tired of trying to keep the paint in order up front.

Maybe it's less logical than emotional, as yes, my car is a Lease, but I digress.

What I need is something that is first and foremost 1-SAFE, 2-Roomy enough to accommodate my 6'4 height and be of decent enough proportions all around, 3-QUIET on the road 4-New enough to be under Warranty (preferably), 5-Reliable, 6-Efficient MPG.

What I'd also like is to actually get something that I'd like to look at and drive in, as even though it's a work-horse, it would be nice to get some emotional returns from my investment. So hopefully something nice/cool, and something that is as different in nature from my E-Class as possible (variety aspect). Also, some decent, yet normal "tech" (Bluetooth/Sirius compatibility, etc.) would be nice. Performance isn't a big issue, but I'll gladly take it if it fits in.

And I'd like to have it out the door for under $20K (no Lease on this one), probably Used being a best bet.

An example of some recent looks and notes:

1-Hyundai Genesis: Great cruiser, but boring-ish, kind of redundant, and price are still a too high.

2-2012 Ford Focus: Weird that I'd even consider this car, but the critics rave about it, and it's much different natured from my E. Problems are that it's too compact. It's nothing serious looking, but looks fine for a playful, efficient affordable appliance,

3-Volkwagen CC: Not a huge fan of this car, and it seems like it'd feel claustrophobic, but a decent value, and alright looking with its doses of pizazz, and a nice interior. Cons are that VW Reliability is non-existent, and biggest is that the 37.4" frontal headroom will be too tight for me.

4-Dodge Challenger: This is the one that I really want. Total fun variety factor from my Benz, I love Muscle Cars, etc. Cons are that the interior seems like a miserable place to spend some time, and it apparently doesn't have side torso Airbags (????). Also, the 250HP in a 4300 lb car apparently feels less than adequate, and painful (unless I get the more $$ 2011+ V6 models), and also inefficient.

There's my long a$$ post. If you read it and have any thoughts, they'd be appreciated.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:52 PM

Titleist
It's a good suggestion above to just drive this one and pay the penalty later. Or perhaps drive it, and buy it at the end of the lease, making it your second car at that time, to conserve miles on what ever you choose to buy then as your primary car.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:07 AM

2014 E350 Coupe Steel Gray
Originally Posted by K-A
LOL! I'll admit, I did drive a 2012 W212 to see how I liked it.... And you know what color combo I'd get!
K-A: This is for you for even GOING THERE:

Old 12-03-2011, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 4Matic, 2002 M3 Vert
Used Lexus ES350. Super reliable and very comfy ride.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:33 AM

Titleist
A Soon to be Classic E

Here's a super clean 2002 E. I really like this body style. I've seen this car in person...it is clean.

**Not affiliated with the seller or car in any way, but found this locally in CA while looking at a possible classic toy car.

Need to find a new second-car, any thoughts?-2002-320.jpg
Old 12-03-2011, 10:57 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by SolidGranite
Used Lexus ES350. Super reliable and very comfy ride.
Weird, I was JUST thinking about that car! LOL. I actually hate the ES line, however, my Mom recently got a very Loaded ES, in Burgundy (looked good on the lot I guess, with the Panaramic roof), after she had a slew of 5-Series', then a W211, then recently (before the Lexus) an E60. "German Reliability" started to scare her, so she got sucked into the Lexus.

Needless to say, she's miserable with the car, and says that it's an "old persons car", which seems to kinda depress her, as it isn't nearly as sexy as her E or 5's were, as she puts it. More unfortunately, after the recession, she hasn't been able to land on her feet and was tired of her old career, so her financial situation isn't solid.

I was thinking of offering to buy the car from her. However, I have no idea how much she owes on it, etc. I figured, if I'm gonna spend money on a car, might as well put the money toward some good. I wouldn't mind an ES as a commuter, but I can't say I wouldn't be embarrassed see myself in it.

Golfster: I dig those, actually, I was really thinking about getting an '01 E55 in Silver, which looked HOT, with under $100K miles for just under $8K. I mean, I kick myself for not picking that thing up still. I was afraid of the maintenance and didn't trust a relatively older car for such rigorous appliance-like use. For that price and fun factor, and to have a forefather to my W212 in the stable, I shoulda just got it!
Old 12-03-2011, 02:04 PM

How about a Porsche Cayman? It may be a little out of your price zone and way different than the stuff we've been talking about. I know that I've always been a big fan of the design. Maybe you could find one in the mid $20,000s. Something completely different than the e to eat up some miles. Regards. Ned.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:17 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

So, today I came across a weirdly great Lease deal on an Optima.

It's an Optima HYBRID, which MSRP's at around $27K. They're knocking off around $6K to get the "sell price" to around $21K. In my area, Optima LX's (Base versions) sell USED for about $19-20K with around 20K Miles on them.

The Optima Hybrid comes with the LED taillights, high tech I/C display, Voice Control, Premium Sound, Rearview Camera, Power Seats, Hybrid Powertrain, and some exclusive-to-it colors and aesthetic bits, etc.

The Lease deal is for $189 a month + Tax, and about $3K drive-off. If you look up competing cars, or even the Optima's National Add for the LX model that is far inferior to the Hybrid model, the deal is pretty outstanding. If I would want an LX model, they'd give the same terms (39 month Lease, 12K Miles a year, Residual at end of Lease 52% of cars selling price), however knock $30 off the monthly payment, making it $159+Tax.

Is it me or is that value too good to pass up? I actually like the idea of an Optima for second-car status. I guess I have some thinking to do....
Old 12-06-2011, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Make sure you drive a Kia a good distance over various roads. Not known for comfortable riding.
Why not an Acura TSX? Very highly rated, Honda dependability. Don't get the V6. I looked at two used ES350's a couple of years ago-very expensive for a second car.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:38 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Good point about the distance! I've heard that the Optima is the sportier-choice between it and the sister Sonata, which renders it favorable amongst Magazine testers, however might not for me. Kia has gone through such extensive improvements I figure/d that anything we've known about the "old Kia" might not apply to the new.

It's really a stellar deal, however issue is that it's still technically quite higher than what I'd wanna spend for a second car. If I did choose to Lease it, I'd be looking at about $11,200 in Lease payments, and about equal to buy the car out.... Still a great deal for what I'd be getting, unless I'm missing out of some "catch" that I'm oblivious to.

With the way my schedule is looking, driving me E will put me at 9K miles by the end of this month (6.5 months after Lease date) and about 11K miles by Feb 1st (7.5 months after Lease date)! Yikes!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need to find a new second-car, any thoughts?