E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Going into Production Tomorrow! Specs and my thoughts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW
Going into Production Tomorrow! Specs and my thoughts

My father's car has been finalized the day before it hits production, he was able to configure it exactly the way he wanted. He had allocation about a month ago, and he finally made a decision on his color choices today. Here is the final summary:

E350 4matic
Quartz Blue
Ash MB-Tex
Burl Walnut
AMG Wheel Package w/3 spoke sport steering wheel
Premium 1
Sport Package
Split Folding Rear Seats
Heated Seats

I was a little skeptical about the Quartz Blue only having seen it online, but in person it is actually a very striking color - hues of silver and gray can be seen in different lighting conditions. He had his heart set on it and once he saw a 2011 C-Class in Quartz Blue there was no going back. I would guess most E-Class sold are either Black, White, Silver or Gray, so he should really stand out in this color.

The AMG Wheel Package combined with sport package really pops, I love the 3-spoke sport steering wheel and the split spoke design of the AMG wheels mates perfectly with the aggressive lines of the sport package.

My Father didn't like how dark the black interior of his last car was, so Ash was the only option, it does look really classy in the two-tone with black dash, flooring and headliner. I would have personally chosen Black Ash Wood Trim but he really likes the more traditional Burl Walnut.

This is his first Mercedes so I am very excited for him. It should get here in three weeks or so, right around the first week in December.

I'll be sure to post lots of pictures once he takes delivery!

Last edited by Daya; 11-11-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes e350 BlueTec
If you really want thoughts, P2 is worth the extra cost for both keyless entry and the much better lighting.....but why ask for thoughts when it's too late???
Old 11-10-2011, 06:34 PM

BMW
Originally Posted by ghstudio
If you really want thoughts, P2 is worth the extra cost for both keyless entry and the much better lighting.....but why ask for thoughts when it's too late???
Thanks for the feedback, truth be told, my Father probably doesn't even care about half the things in P1, so P2 was a hard sell.

I was mostly posting my thoughts as this is my first experience with Mercedes having previously owned VW, Audi and currently driving a Bimmer
Old 11-10-2011, 06:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 GLK350 P1, Multi-media & AMG Pkg; 2010 E350 w/ prem 2; 2018 4Runner SR5 Prem. 4x4
I agree, but P2 is awesome...HID lights with adaptive control....its auto-leveling...moves up and down depending on the surface slope...also, the headlights turn a few degrees ever so slightly in the direction of your turn...to give more light to that area...then when you straighten out the wheel...you can see the adaptive control headlights straighten out too....very cool.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:12 PM

BMW
Originally Posted by PHML
I agree, but P2 is awesome...HID lights with adaptive control....its auto-leveling...moves up and down depending on the surface slope...also, the headlights turn a few degrees ever so slightly in the direction of your turn...to give more light to that area...then when you straighten out the wheel...you can see the adaptive control headlights straighten out too....very cool.
I have HID with adaptive control on my Bimmer and I do love that feature as well. Our allocation was one of the first 2012's, so the P1 package we got is considered a "Launch Package" or S01, so the cost of that came out to $3600, $400 less than the standard P1. P2 is $6450, so the additional 3k wasn't worth it to him.

My Father is old-school stubborn
Old 11-10-2011, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
+1 for P2 and i think a pano roof would look very nice with that color.

Also if I were you I'd stay as far away from low profile tires as you can unless you live in an area with very well maintained roads. There's no luxury or safety in being stranded in the middle or side of the road by a moderate pothole causing wheel failure.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:38 PM

2011 E-350, 2010 GL-450
Originally Posted by ghstudio
I would disagree...P2 is not worth it. The regular lights are fine and the I hate keyless...my Covette has it and it sucks.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by Mr Snappy
I would disagree...P2 is not worth it. The regular lights are fine and the I hate keyless...my Covette has it and it sucks.
Why do you not like it in your other car? I wish my house had Keyless go. It's one of the features I absolutely love in my car. I never have to look for my key and it starts the engine and lowers the steering wheel as I put on my seat belt saving about 5 precious seconds
Old 11-10-2011, 10:40 PM

2011 E-350, 2010 GL-450
Originally Posted by PHML
To each his own, but I read this and think NIGHTMARE REPAIR BILLS if any of this junk gets out of whack. I'm a tech and car junkie as much as anyone, but all this stuff is a major repair bill waiting to happen.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:46 PM

2011 E-350, 2010 GL-450
Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
Why do you not like it in your other car? I wish my house had Keyless go. It's one of the features I absolutely love in my car. I never have to look for my key and it starts the engine and lowers the steering wheel as I put on my seat belt saving about 5 precious seconds
If you leave the fob in the house and need something out of the car in the garage, it locks you out until you get the fob. The fob sometimes will not work if you have thick jeans on or a leather jacket. It constantly transmits, so they eat batteries. I don't care about the cost, but I have to keep spares both in the house and in the car. Since you don't actually do anything with the keys, you don't keep your mind on them as much, so it's easier to leave in a coat or bag since you don't have them in your hands when you turn off the car. I can't tell you how many times my key fob was lost only to find it in a coat or in the dirty clothes in a jean pocket....luckily, I have not washed it yet!
Old 11-11-2011, 08:04 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
too bad........P2 is the ish
Old 11-11-2011, 08:30 AM

2011 e350 4matic, 2010 Honda Pilot
Originally Posted by Daya
My father's car has been finalized the day before it hits production, he was able to configure it exactly the way he wanted. He had allocation about a month ago, and he finally made a decision on his color choices today. Here is the final summary:

E350 4matic
Quartz Blue
Ash MB-Tex
Burl Walnut
AMG Wheel Package w/3 spoke sport steering wheel
Premium 1
Sport Package
Split Folding Rear Seats
Heated Seats

I was a little skeptical about the Quartz Blue only having seen it online, but in person it is actually a very striking color - hues of silver and gray can be seen in different lighting conditions. He had his heart set on it and once he saw a 2011 C-Class in Quartz Blue there was no going back. I would guess most E-Class sold are either Black, White, Silver or Gray, so he should really stand out in this color.

The AMG Wheel Package combined with sport package really pops, I love the 3-spoke sport steering wheel and the split spoke design of the AMG wheels mates perfectly with the aggressive lines of the sport package.

My Father didn't like how dark the black interior of his last car was, so Ash was the only option, it does look really classy in the two-tone with black dash, flooring and headliner. I would have personally chosen Black Ash Wood Trim but he really likes the more traditional Burl Walnut.

This is his first Mercedes so I am so very excited for him. It should get here in three weeks or so, right around the first week in December.

I'll be sure to post lots of pictures once he takes delivery!
I really like the Quartz Blue myself. It definitely stands out.
Wish your father good luck with it !
Old 11-11-2011, 11:04 AM

BMW
Originally Posted by Tomshark
I really like the Quartz Blue myself. It definitely stands out.
Wish your father good luck with it !
Thanks!

Best of all, conquest program is still active and he bought my Mother a Lexus ES350 for her birthday years ago. So they will both drive 350's now - ha ha
Old 11-11-2011, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
I had Xenons in my last three cars and miss them in my Benz...I had keyless in an Infiniti M35 and don't miss it a bit today.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 BMW 540d
Originally Posted by Daya
I was a little skeptical about the Quartz Blue only having seen it online, but in person it is actually a very striking color...
If they ever put the more powerful diesel into the E Class,which would tempt me to upgrade,I'd go for that "Cuprite Brown".Very very classy...in a subtle kind of way.But different strokes for different folks they say!
Old 11-11-2011, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 BMW 540d
If you leave the fob in the house and need something out of the car in the garage, it locks you out until you get the fob. The fob sometimes will not work if you have thick jeans on or a leather jacket. It constantly transmits, so they eat batteries. I don't care about the cost, but I have to keep spares both in the house and in the car.
I'm not sure that you *have* to keep a spare anywhere.I'm 99% certain that the keyfob,when the battery's dead,will still start the car (when it's placed in the "port") and the metal key,obviously,can lock and unlock the doors.A nuicance for sure but far from a crisis.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Volvo XC70; 2012 GLK 350 4matic
I am totally amazed that your dad was able to finalize the build sheet the day before the build. We were told that the build sheet for our GLK was locked in at least 2 weeks before the actual build. Your dad was lucky.
I don't know where you are, but 3 weeks seems very optimistic. Unless you live very close to an East Coast VPC. In a perfect world, the car will go directly from the assembly line to the ship and the ship will leave soon after that. Allow 15-20 days on the ship to Baltimore. Where are E-Class cars built? If the E-Class cars have to be transported to Bremerhaven that could add a week.

Last edited by venchka; 11-11-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Halogens in any car are garbage. They look cheap (yellow) and they perform poorly by current lighting standards.

As for the KEYLESS GO, perhaps the system on your Vette is not as robust as the Benz system? Also, it could be argued that KEYLESS GO on a car built for transporting 4-5 people and their junk makes more sense than a similar system on a sports coupe, where you've got one friend at most and minimal cargo. I also prefer the look of the handles with the chrome applique; much classier and less "rental car" looking (not that I'm a fan of excess chrome, mind you).

I would not own/lease a luxury car that didn't have these two features.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 GLK350 P1, Multi-media & AMG Pkg; 2010 E350 w/ prem 2; 2018 4Runner SR5 Prem. 4x4
To each his own, but I read this and think NIGHTMARE REPAIR BILLS if any of this junk gets out of whack. I'm a tech and car junkie as much as anyone, but all this stuff is a major repair bill waiting to happen.
Dude, you sound like my parents....nagging me in the ear....LOL!!!

Its an MB...they are leaders in technology...im sure its a sound feature they've tested before rolling them out and putting them up as an option. Then again, no feature is full proof, right? That's why there's warranty.

Sounds like you're the type to stick with halogen headlights, manual seats, no air conditioning, manual lock/unlock, hand crank windows, manual seats, etc...cuz they will NOT make you think...NIGHTMARE REPAIR BILLS.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:03 PM

车子
i thought i wanted P2 just for the xenons, but the keyless Go is so nice. never need to touch the keys expect to put them in my pocket.

nice bimma

Last edited by gohan; 11-11-2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:21 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by gohan
i thought i wanted P2 just for the xenons, but the keyless Go is so nice. never need to touch the keys expect to put them in my pocket.

nice bimma
that is one of the best, driving other cars sux!!!!!!!
Old 11-11-2011, 05:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Titleist
If you leave the fob in the house and need something out of the car in the garage, it locks you out until you get the fob.

True, but on a car without keyless go, if you leave the key in the house and need something out of the car in the garage, you are locked out until you get the key.

The fob sometimes will not work if you have thick jeans on or a leather jacket.

I've never experienced this but perhaps could happen with certain signal blocking material??

It constantly transmits, so they eat batteries. I don't care about the cost, but I have to keep spares both in the house and in the car. Since you don't actually do anything with the keys, you don't keep your mind on them as much, so it's easier to leave in a coat or bag since you don't have them in your hands when you turn off the car. I can't tell you how many times my key fob was lost only to find it in a coat or in the dirty clothes in a jean pocket....luckily, I have not washed it yet!
From website...

A leap in ease and efficiency pioneered by Mercedes-Benz, KEYLESS-GO lets you unlock, start and drive away without removing the SmartKey from your pocket or purse. You can lock and unlock the doors with a touch of the exterior handles, and start the engine by stepping on the brake pedal and pushing the Start/Stop button on the dashboard. You can also start the vehicle in the conventional way by removing the Start/Stop button and inserting the SmartKey into the ignition.

For me, Keyless Go was a bonus. The real benefit of P2 is the Bi-Xenon Headlamps and Active Curve Illumination as I encounter canyon roads and winding drives.

The electronic trunk closer/opener is nice when putting in or removing golf clubs, groceries, etc.

Includes all items in the Premium 1 Package, plus:
Bi-Xenon headlamps with Active Curve Illumination
Adaptive Highbeam Assist
LED front turn indicators
LED Daytime Running Lights
Headlamp washing system
Corner-illuminating front lamps
KEYLESS-GO
Electronic Trunk Closer

To the OP, congrats to your Dad on the pending arrival of the new car and I am sure he will be happy with his selection of choice. BTW, your BMW looks sharp. Enjoy both and safe travels.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:56 PM

Volvo S80 T6
Originally Posted by golfster
From website...

A leap in ease and efficiency pioneered by Mercedes-Benz, KEYLESS-GO lets you unlock, start and drive away without removing the SmartKey from your pocket or purse. You can lock and unlock the doors with a touch of the exterior handles, and start the engine by stepping on the brake pedal and pushing the Start/Stop button on the dashboard. You can also start the vehicle in the conventional way by removing the Start/Stop button and inserting the SmartKey into the ignition.

For me, Keyless Go was a bonus. The real benefit of P2 is the Bi-Xenon Headlamps and Active Curve Illumination as I encounter canyon roads and winding drives.

The electronic trunk closer/opener is nice when putting in or removing golf clubs, groceries, etc.

Includes all items in the Premium 1 Package, plus:
Bi-Xenon headlamps with Active Curve Illumination
Adaptive Highbeam Assist
LED front turn indicators
LED Daytime Running Lights
Headlamp washing system
Corner-illuminating front lamps
KEYLESS-GO
Electronic Trunk Closer

To the OP, congrats to your Dad on the pending arrival of the new car and I am sure he will be happy with his selection of choice. BTW, your BMW looks sharp. Enjoy both and safe travels.
I am told by the dealer that Bi-Xenon headlamps are not covered by warranty. You brake it or smth goes wrong, you pay for a new one which is bulky and expensive cylinder.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:59 PM
MCF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
Originally Posted by Tonvic
I am told by the dealer that Bi-Xenon headlamps are not covered by warranty. You brake it or smth goes wrong, you pay for a new one which is bulky and expensive cylinder.
Gonna have to call BS on this one....MB warranty is very extensive and covers bumper to bumper EXCEPT wear items. Bi-xenon lights are NOT considered wear items.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:13 PM

Volvo S80 T6
Originally Posted by MCF
Gonna have to call BS on this one....MB warranty is very extensive and covers bumper to bumper EXCEPT wear items. Bi-xenon lights are NOT considered wear items.
Yes, good if we double check this because I am on the verge of ordering.. and was talked by the dealer from ordering P2 as a $2000 lightning package only.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Going into Production Tomorrow! Specs and my thoughts