E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Talk to me about MB-Tex

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 Runner V8 4WD/Porsche 944 Turbo
Then tell me - what material do Lexus, Infiniti, Jaguar, Acura, Audi use for their interiors? - answer LEATHER. And please don't tell me they are all lousy cars. Must be some reason for all the skinned cows. And go even higher - do you think you will find vinyl in a Ferrari or Bentley. Stop the BS defense of Benz plastic vinyl seats - I will not use the politically correct term MB wants - they are VINYL
Old 11-29-2011, 08:56 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Mercedes makes a superior product than Lexus, Infiniti, Jaguar. You want proof? Well, there's brand cache, history (which MB Tex is a part of), current Sales, and an Owners Board here full of owners.... With MB Tex, who bought over the competition.

Then, again, there are many owners who EXPECT M-B to deliver on that "unbreakable Leather" aspect, which is in fact MB Tex, avoiding the old worn out look that dates older Jags, Lexus', Infiniti's with unkept Leather.

Ferrari and Bentley aren't Mercedes! Many people like M-B more than Ferrari and Bentley! MB Tex heritage included!

Again, MB Tex has its perk, and Benz gives you the Option.

Why are you arguing for them to discontinue such a strong Option in terms of their Vinyl seats? Are you too cheap to pay for the Leather Option? Pony up, and have your cake. People expect M-B to out-durable anyone out there, and MB Tex is indeed a part of that.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:10 PM

4 Runner V8 4WD/Porsche 944 Turbo
You are not objective in the least - many excellent competitors. You are not listening - LEATHER SHOULD BE STANDARD - what about that sentence don't you understand??
Heritage- can you read - did you see the info from CNN money that the last E class was such a mess warranty claims ate the MB CEO's dinner! And Ferrari no heritage - get a life pal. I'm done here.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350 BT
Originally Posted by mrjoe
Then tell me - what material do Lexus, Infiniti, Jaguar, Acura, Audi use for their interiors? - answer LEATHER. And please don't tell me they are all lousy cars. Must be some reason for all the skinned cows. And go even higher - do you think you will find vinyl in a Ferrari or Bentley. Stop the BS defense of Benz plastic vinyl seats - I will not use the politically correct term MB wants - they are VINYL
It's coated leather, which, in my opinion, is just a vinyl covering. The only true, soft leathers are the nappa/aniline seating surfaces. The are dyed through, not just covered. Even the Mercedes Benz leather is a coated leather, much like, but softer textured, than BMW's Dakota.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:28 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

You are not objective in the least - many excellent competitors. You are not listening - LEATHER SHOULD BE STANDARD - what about that sentence don't you understand??
Heritage- can you read - did you see the info from CNN money that the last E class was such a mess warranty claims ate the MB CEO's dinner! And Ferrari no heritage - get a life pal. I'm done here.
You are nonsensical at this, at best.

Leather should be standard, ACCORDING TO YOU. NOT ACCORDING TO ME, AND NOT ACCORDING TO M-B. M-B has an exclusive for the businesses best Vinyl seats, as far as I'm concerned, which is superior to many automakers Leathers in many ways.

Again, stop being cheap, get the Leather Option, and leave MB Tex as is. Your posts have been of no value here. Looks like Infiniti, Jag, or Lexus is for you. An inferior product, but hey, you get Leather for "free"!
Old 11-29-2011, 10:19 PM
MCF

E350
EVERY single person on this forum will pay extra for extra features that they deem better but refuse to accept the leather is better even though it is an extra $1700 i had a car transferred purely for leather. I for one am in the leather camp.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:40 PM

06 C 350 2014 GLK350
In the Arizona heat I find that MBtex is just too hot. I put seat furs on the last car I had with MBtex but only in the summer. I don't like sitting on furs.
Since then, all my MB's have had leather which is fine in the summer heat. Vented seats also help but they seem to make the seat too firm. I believe that the fans must take up some of the space that would have been padding.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Obviously there are different opinions. Many people prefer MB-Tex for its qualities. Other prefer leather for some of its qualities. I certainly think MB-Tex lasts longer and looks better with age.

Leather is probably more comfortable when it's hot.
It also certainly smells much nicer!!
I wonder if it breathes better than MB-Tex? I hate it when I'm in a t-shirt on a cold day with the heated seat on and sweat builds up between my back and the seat. Would love to be able to compare the two with direct use.

I don't see why the thread needs to turn into a battle, both sides are going to have different opinions.
mrjoe I have to say, does appear to be a troll who has contributed nothing.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:30 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
K-A, I'm a bit dismayed at your rants against all the competitors and your steadfast "if you want leather,then buy it" argument.

The problem is that MB doesn't give us that choice because there are zero (count them - zero) 350 4matics with P2 and leather available on the eastern seaboard.

Jaguar and Lexus clearly are cross shopped - as is the F10 5 series. There are no 5 series available on the eastern seaboard without leather.

MB tex is clearly a part of the MB tradition, but to say that it is far superior to leather is a bit absurd. It is easier to maintain but isn't so "far superior" in all respects as you make it out to be.

MB tex was developed for the emerging taxi market following WW II and the US is one of the few markets where it is standard on the E series or BMW 5 series - perhaps because the average US consumer automatically assumes that a car of this class has leather.

MB tex is a great material and that wouldn't stop me from buying a car with it, but let's be real -it isn't more luxurious than leather.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:32 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by acr2001
Obviously there are different opinions. Many people prefer MB-Tex for its qualities. Other prefer leather for some of its qualities. I certainly think MB-Tex lasts longer and looks better with age.

I wonder if it breathes better than MB-Tex? I hate it when I'm in a t-shirt on a cold day with the heated seat on and sweat builds up between my back and the seat. Would love to be able to compare the two with direct use.

I don't see why the thread needs to turn into a battle, both sides are going to have different opinions.
You wear only a t-shirt on a cold day?
Old 11-30-2011, 12:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Titleist
MrJoe,

Have you had your blood pressure checked lately?
Old 11-30-2011, 12:49 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2010 E350, 2015 S550
Both E350/E550 coupe have the basic leather, which as I said is not too great. Looks like the sedan comes with MB-tex. And to get cooled seats in the E550 you again have to pony up for P2
Major,

I think the leather in the E350 is better than, "not to great". But more importantantly, what in your opinion is a better color for a car, black or white? Based on your answer, it might actually not mean anything at all. Like your opinion of MB leather.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:54 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by CEB
K-A, I'm a bit dismayed at your rants against all the competitors and your steadfast "if you want leather,then buy it" argument.

The problem is that MB doesn't give us that choice because there are zero (count them - zero) 350 4matics with P2 and leather available on the eastern seaboard.

Jaguar and Lexus clearly are cross shopped - as is the F10 5 series. There are no 5 series available on the eastern seaboard without leather.

MB tex is clearly a part of the MB tradition, but to say that it is far superior to leather is a bit absurd. It is easier to maintain but isn't so "far superior" in all respects as you make it out to be.

MB tex was developed for the emerging taxi market following WW II and the US is one of the few markets where it is standard on the E series or BMW 5 series - perhaps because the average US consumer automatically assumes that a car of this class has leather.

MB tex is a great material and that wouldn't stop me from buying a car with it, but let's be real -it isn't more luxurious than leather.
I don't find the competitors to be bad cars, however, I find them to be inferior to MB, with its MB Tex in all its glory, that was my point. I don't think any of those cars are POS's or anything of the like.

All those cars are clearly cross shopped, but the E Class outsells them, with its MB Tex in tow. BMW is a bad example, as its Leather is NOTORIOUS to age terribly, making buying a Used BMW a painful situation (once you open the door), and their Leatherette is a terrible Vinyl material, far behind MB Tex.

And unless I'm being misquoted, I didn't intend on saying that MB Tex is "superior" in an absolute sense at all. I do feel that its a more impressive materials, being such a high quality Vinyl VS a less than stellar Leather Option for the W212 E-Class. However, Leather has many superior aspects, and Luxury is indeed one of them, I wouldn't claim that MB Tex is more, or equally as Luxurious.... However, I will say that in the W212 E-Classes case, it is very close.

If someone offered me two E's for the same price, identical except one has Leather and one Tex, sure, I'd take the Leather car (especially if Leasing then planning to return), and I'd be more than happy with it. However, my stance on "Pay a little more for it if you want it" I'm very solid on. Eradicating MB Tex would be an injustice.

As for Dealers not having it, that's not really the issue of the material or Mercedes-Benz, it's really an issue due to MBUSA not supplying them, because Dealers aren't asking for them, because people aren't demanding it (nobody probably thinks Vinyl is what they're sitting on anyway). It is unfortunate, but the same situation goes for P2, which is a more notable and important Feature (and more sought after, as well, as it's more noticeable to the shopper in term of stark differences from P1 cars).

Originally Posted by golfster
MrJoe,

Have you had your blood pressure checked lately?
Originally Posted by mnje350
Major,

I think the leather in the E350 is better than, "not to great". But more importantantly, what in your opinion is a better color for a car, black or white? Based on your answer, it might actually not mean anything at all. Like your opinion of MB leather.
Originally Posted by acr2001

Glad to see I'm not the only one! Sheesh.

acr2001: I've heard and am pretty sure that Leather probably does breathe better. It definitely has its perks as well (Leather)! I'm a sucker for the sweet smell of Leather (Cow hide or no Cow hide, it's unfortunate that I can't help my natural reaction to the sense of scent!), however, one of my biggest disappointments toward the IMO underwhelming W212 Leather Option, is that it doesn't truly have that "rich Leather smell", although I'm sure it smells better than MB Tex (which I don't mind the smell of, as IMO it doesn't emit much of a scent at all).

Last edited by K-A; 11-30-2011 at 05:58 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:05 PM

2011 E350, 2004 911
Leather is standard in a Bentley not in a daily driver like a MB.
I tend to feel that people have ridiculous expectation's for MB's. They want the same leather and quiet ride that you would get in a Bentley for the price of a MB. E-Class 350 is a 49K car and not 249K... (Reality Check).

I have had three MB's and the I'll take the MB-Tex over leather every time.
Living in Florida the heat dries out the leather and it ages quickly. If you keep a car longer than 5 years then I would vote MB-Tex.

+1 K-A!

My 2 cents.....
Old 11-30-2011, 01:41 PM

Titleist
Originally Posted by MCF
EVERY single person on this forum will pay extra for extra features that they deem better but refuse to accept the leather is better even though it is an extra $1700 i had a car transferred purely for leather. I for one am in the leather camp.

We had several "luxury" E's with leather here, too, but I wanted the "sport" model. I asked the dealer why there was an abundance of "luxury E's" with leather, but no "sports?" Dealer said the cars had been sitting there awhile and were slower sellers. I asked why and he said that it turns out many of the "luxury" buyers were also looking for vinyl tops and white wall tires, but MB doesn't build them that way either.

I guess it is hard to please every buyer.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:51 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by K-A
All those cars are clearly cross shopped, but the E Class outsells them, with its MB Tex in tow. BMW is a bad example, as its Leather is NOTORIOUS to age terribly, making buying a Used BMW a painful situation (once you open the door), and their Leatherette is a terrible Vinyl material, far behind MB Tex.
It is funny how these forums all gravitate to downplaying the competition. Whenever I go looking for a car, I spend lots of time looking at - and participating in - the forums. I'm doing that now with Acura (RL) Lexus (GS) and the BMW 5 forums.

Since none of those cars come standard with plastic seats (technically the 5 does, but try finding on a dealer's lot with leatherette) this particular discussion doesn't come up.

Here is what I can tell you from personal experience:

MB leathers over the years have much improved (as has MB-tex) but the main enemy is dirt and UV exposure. Older leathers will crack just because they aren't coated and without frequent cleaning will show age quickly.

My first modern Audi was a '02 A6. This was before I learned about proper detailing and what not.. At 25k miles, when the car met an untimely end following a minor run-in with a deer, the seats were looking worn. That car was replaced by an S6 of the same vintage - also new. At that point, I had gotten interested in detailing (amazing what happens when pizza sauce drips out of a box) and regularly started vacuuming and cleaning the seats. When I sold it at 100k miles, the car looked as new and the seats still had the matte luster. It was difficult to tell the difference between the two front seats.

My current BMW has 45k miles and the saddle colored leather still looks as new.

Virtually all European automotive leathers if the same grain will be similar in wear and appearance - assuming it is cleaned and protected regularly.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:02 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by jvc300
I tend to feel that people have ridiculous expectation's for MB's. They want the same leather and quiet ride that you would get in a Bentley for the price of a MB. E-Class 350 is a 49K car and not 249K... (Reality Check).

Living in Florida the heat dries out the leather and it ages quickly. If you keep a car longer than 5 years then I would vote MB-Tex.

+1 K-A!

My 2 cents.....

Beauty is, with an E-Class, for like 20% of the cost for a Bentley, you do get a car that is about as quiet and still engineered to the highest code of M-B at the time! (The W212 won the Award for "Best Bodyshell" the year it came out, beating out Jag's XJ, Audi's R8, BMW's 5 GT, and a host of others, for example). Of course, you get a ton of plastic where Bentley has fin3 and opulent Leather, but who's keeping score.

To me, MB Tex is very much a trait and quality of "Mercedes Benz" and what they stand for. Not to discount the attributes Leather provides as well, as I'm truly not playing favorites here, just trying to point out that each have their individual perks over one another. Best part is.... We get a choice! We're not forced onto one, or don't have to avoid the no-care durability of Vinyl like BMW buyers do, due to the lousy and sore-thumb Leatherette.

Last edited by K-A; 11-30-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:11 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jvc300

+1 K-A!

My 2 cents.....
You're reaching a bit, aren't you? It is standard in a Bentley????

It is standard in many daily drivers and common in a host of others. Like I've said, you're hard pressed to find the "standard" plastic in a BMW and Jaguars, Infiniti Audi, Acura and Lexus all are daily drivers and come with leather.

This discussion has gone completely off track. Let's talk about the advantages/disadvantes of leather/MB-tex instead of trying to justify your purchase of either material by comparing it to other cars.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:37 PM

E350
Originally Posted by K-A
If someone offered me two E's for the same price, identical except one has Leather and one Tex, sure, I'd take the Leather car...
Hey, I found a statement you made about MB-Tex that we can both agree on.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:38 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

I'm just calling it like I see it!
Old 11-30-2011, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 119 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
Mbtex = plastic
plastic = ugly
Mbtex = ugly

The only way I can see anyone liking MBTex is if they either couldn't afford leather or if no leather was available on the lot. Understandable...dealers are stupid idiots and tend to order plastic instead of leather and MBUSA is stupid enough to even put vinyl seats as standard in a $50 K car. WHY NOT PUT IN CLOTH, MERCEDES! HUH???? YOU MIGHT AS WELL...AS LONG AS ITS THE SAME COLOR OF LEATHER, NO ONE CARES...AM I RIGHT? no.

Doesn't leather come standard in some Hyundai's or Toyotas? Lol. Mercedes = cheap

Mercedes-Benz is known for luxury, not its MBTEX.
Ask a person who doesn't own a MB if they think leather is standard on a Mercedes; they'll say yes... LEATHER SHOULD BE STANDARD

I've never met anyone that cares whether animals were killed for leather. I'm sure those who complain about how animals were killed for leather also have leather shoes, belts, binders, jackets, cases, handbags, wallets, etc...

MBtex is hard, rough, not supple, and it does not look like leather at all. It looks like vinyl. The minute I sat in my first MB with mbtex, it was SOOO obvious that it wasn't leather? Why, well first: leather is softer and it has different patterns while MBTex is cheapo plastic ugliness with a repeating pattern that DOES become shiny with wear and tear (don't forget its plastic so once you wear out the top coat of polyurethane or whatever protectant they use, there IS ugly shiny hard plastic underneath).

So what if MBtex makes the best vinyl? I don't. Vinyl is vinyl and leather is leather. Yeah, plastic is easier to clean up and will look better over time...OH WAIT...nevermind.

Leather thats maintained should be equal to MBtex that is maintained and cleaning leather is super easy.
Dampen microfiber cloth, wipe, protectant, drive. I do the same thing with MBTex. The only difference is that the cleaners are different lol, oh and microfiber doesn't destroy leather...only the stupid cheap MBtex because it wears down the plastic....

Crap...I wish I had leather on my GL and E...

Obviously, Mercedes isn't a very luxurious car brand if it has f-ing plastic seats

Thank you for reading my rant.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:00 PM

2011 E350 4Matic
^ I have to agree 100%. If Mercedes does not offer MBTex anymore and puts leather as standard, I am SURE no one would complain that there is no MBTex in the car. Leather should be standard. But hey, I am driving a Benz with MBTex also (since there were no P2/leather options at the lot and could not special order anymore). I do hate the fact that it is much more rough than leather. Another thing that bothers me is when I wipe it, I can feel the little bumps underneath the paper towel, it kind of makes me cringe as if someone was screeching the chalkboard. Overall, it doesn't really bother me since I don't have to put much effort into caring for it. But all in all, if MB offered leather as standard in the E class, no one would even complain about not having MBTex. We are just finding excuses to like MBTex since we do not have leather in a "Benz".
Old 11-30-2011, 08:16 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by tflilal
^ I have to agree 100%. If Mercedes does not offer MBTex anymore and puts leather as standard, I am SURE no one would complain that there is no MBTex in the car. Leather should be standard. But hey, I am driving a Benz with MBTex also (since there were no P2/leather options at the lot and could not special order anymore). I do hate the fact that it is much more rough than leather. Another thing that bothers me is when I wipe it, I can feel the little bumps underneath the paper towel, it kind of makes me cringe as if someone was screeching the chalkboard. Overall, it doesn't really bother me since I don't have to put much effort into caring for it. But all in all, if MB offered leather as standard in the E class, no one would even complain about not having MBTex. We are just finding excuses to like MBTex since we do not have leather in a "Benz".
And I doubt that anyone would even notice the $1600 increase in price.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:09 PM

Titleist
Hi CEB,

Much feedback has been offered since the start of the thread. Opinions range from disdain to quite satisfied. Understanding the choice may not be so easy not only as a result of the opinion spectrum, but the fact that Mercedes dealers don't stock the lot with a large number of P2 leather equipped cars. So the real question now becomes which route will you likely go? Will you:

1. Purchase an E350 from dealer stock with MB-Tex?
2. Hold out for an "in inventory" E350 with leather"
3. Order the car from the factory matching your desired specifications?
4. Move up to the E550 where the debate becomes moot as leather is standard?
5. Exercise your freedom as a consumer and not fall victim to MB's odd marketing and configuration policies and purchase another marque/model where leather is not only standard, it is the only way the MFR and dealer community will equip and stock the car?

The choice is yours. Inquiring minds want to know!!
Old 11-30-2011, 10:00 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by golfster
Hi CEB,

Much feedback has been offered since the start of the thread. Opinions range from disdain to quite satisfied. Understanding the choice may not be so easy not only as a result of the opinion spectrum, but the fact that Mercedes dealers don't stock the lot with a large number of P2 leather equipped cars. So the real question now becomes which route will you likely go? Will you:

1. Purchase an E350 from dealer stock with MB-Tex?
2. Hold out for an "in inventory" E350 with leather"
3. Order the car from the factory matching your desired specifications?
4. Move up to the E550 where the debate becomes moot as leather is standard?
5. Exercise your freedom as a consumer and not fall victim to MB's odd marketing and configuration policies and purchase another marque/model where leather is not only standard, it is the only way the MFR and dealer community will equip and stock the car?

The choice is yours. Inquiring minds want to know!!
I'm actually looking at 1 or 4. The MB tex/leather option isn't a dealbreaker for me. I started this thread because the MB-tex I remember was very low-rent and really only belonged in entry level cars and taxis. It seems that MB-tex has improved to the point where it isn't low rent anymore but 10 out of 10 consumers would still want leather but it isn't readily available.

So I'm down to two options - a 350 white/almond tex with P2, Parktronic and the pano roof that's a MB corporate car with about 1k miles for about $10k under MSRP or a Palladium/almond 550 with all of the above options plus lane assist, folding seats, multicontour seats for about $7k under MSRP.

The 350 has sport but not the AMG wheel package.

The 350 is interesting because of price and color combo, but it has the flat 5 spoke wheels instead of the AMG wheels. The additional mpg don't hurt either.The 550 has that enticing engine and some options (the multicontour seats and leather) that I'd like.

Any thoughts?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Talk to me about MB-Tex