E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Talk to me about MB-Tex

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
All you leather and vinyl fetishists should just let it go. To say what a manufacturer should or shouldn't do is moot. If MB thought for a moment its sales would be negatively impacted by offering the majority of its highest volume E with MB Tex, it would not be happening. Leather is an option, and, can be ordered. Another option is to go the European delivery route. I would simply love to do that myself. For me, I have had both. VW's Leatherette is also very good. The leather in cars today is not what it was 20 years ago. All new leathers show signs of wear much earlier than they used to. That said, leather is a luxury car staple. While it is unfortunate that MB does not offer leather as standard equipment in the E350, I believe that one would be hard pressed to have a legitimate complaint with the look, feel, or durability of the vinyl. It certainly requires much less maintenance to look new for damn near the life of the vehicle. That said, I really love my P1 E350 Bluetec, vinyl and all.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Titleist
Hi CEB,

It sounds like you are deliberating two great options and I'm sure you'll pick the car that is right for you.

As for personal feedback, I'm quite happy with my E350. The car is a strong daily performer. I feel like it has become even more responsive in the last 2K miles (now at 12K). I'm quite pleased with the gas mileage, overall performance, fit, finish, etc. I think MB built exactly what they intended to, a strong, mid/full size car that feels durable, safe and strong (even with the V6) and meets is duty as a practical and capable sedan quite well. I think of the car as the thinking man's MB - not a lot of flash but a great all around car built to withstand the longhaul. I guess my summary feedback would be, would I buy another? Yes, without hesitation. And as much as I wanted leather, if faced with the same situation again (i.e., dealers still don't stock leather), I would be just fine with another car with MB-Tex. No, it isn't leather, but it serves its intended purpose well. Of course, you can't go wrong with the 550 should you decide to go that route.

As for the E350 you are considering, I like the color combo and equipment package described. I have the AMG wheels but honestly like the sport 5 spokes as much if not more. To my eye, they look just a bit bigger (but not over-sized) than their 18" diameter compared to the 18" AMG wheels, perhaps because of the blade design of the 5 spokes, which fits the car's style quite well.

The best to you in your final decision and transaction and enjoy the ride for many, many miles to come!

Last edited by golfster; 11-30-2011 at 11:12 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 Runner V8 4WD/Porsche 944 Turbo
Amaycg - hooray for your rant. Could not agree more - exactly what I have been trying to say. Plastic seats in a Mercedes is absolute, unadulterated BS. Kind of like a velco wristband on a Rolex !!
Old 11-30-2011, 11:48 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
Originally Posted by mrjoe
Amaycg - hooray for your rant. Could not agree more - exactly what I have been trying to say. Plastic seats in a Mercedes is absolute, unadulterated BS. Kind of like a velco wristband on a Rolex !!
thats actually a bad comparison because the Omega Speedmaster (a far better watch than Rolex) was originally fitted with a velcro band for a specific application (space) and Rolex has been fitted with cloth straps for military applications.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:37 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
nobody likes a know it all
Old 12-01-2011, 08:23 AM

I think you get my point - another good analogy - a Heckler & Koch riding s $5 holster.........

Any FYI, I dare you to go into any Rolex dealer today and find a $5000 -$10,000 watch with a velcro or cloth strap.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:08 AM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think you get my point - another good analogy - a Heckler & Koch riding s $5 holster.........

Any FYI, I dare you to go into any Rolex dealer today and find a $5000 -$10,000 watch with a velcro or cloth strap.
You're right, the Rolex on the cloth straps were usually the original Milgauss models that sell for well over the $10k.

Oh, and my HK often resides in a homemade fitted leather holster that cost well under $5 and my issue holser probably cost around that.

Throwing about bad analogies using products you know little about can be counterproductive - but I think we get your point.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:13 AM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by hyperion667
nobody likes a know it all
That would be me

My problem is that when I'm interested in a subject I tend to become very well versed in that. Automotive technology, guns, watches and chess sets are my passions and drive my wife crazy.

I'm here to learn more about modern MBs. Along the way I'll try to provide some of my experience on automotive tech in general, BMW/VW/Audi specifics and stuff on my other passions.

I tend to be quiet or just ask questions if I don't know the subject.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:29 AM

Titleist
550 Coupe - 26K Miles - Driver's Seat

Talk to me about MB-Tex-550-coupe-leather-26k-miles.jpg

This is a picture from a posting of a 550 Coupe that is for sale.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:57 AM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by golfster
Attachment 223250

That is a very sad looking driver's seat but a weekend's worth of work with Leatherique could improve that a lot. The wrinkles won't go away but their visibility will be lessened once the dirt is cleaned out and the luster restored.

Leatherique is easy to use but time consuming as it needs to "sweat" into the leather for a good day or so to pull all the crap to the surface. I generally park my car where it will get plenty of sun and work Leatherique into the leather. Let it sit all day, then remove it and use the cleaner to memove the dirt.

So what can a good cleaning do? Here's an example from a top of the line detailer of a Porsche Cayenne

A 50/50 shot

And an finished overview

You can see that the creases are still there but the seats luster and feel is as new. Here is a closeup of the difference.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:09 AM

Titleist
E350 Tex 49K Miles

Talk to me about MB-Tex-e350-tex-49k-miles.jpg

The photos for both cars came from the pictures from the used car section of cars.com. Both were on dealer lots. Exteriors/Interiors of both cars looked clean and ready for new owners. To be objective, the picture from the 550C was the top 550 listed (priced high to low) in that mileage range. The E350 was from page 18 to get one with significantly higher mileage for comparison purposes. Some call the wrinkles in the leather patina, others call it time to trade in. Some see MB Tex as plastic and some see easy care. It's all good either way.

I will say this, looking through the photos of the used E's, I still find the E Class to be quite attractive.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by CEB
You wear only a t-shirt on a cold day?
Yes, I have a habit of taking my coat off after I get in the car - hate feeling like the stay-puff man while driving!
Old 12-01-2011, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Had a car with leather seats and the areas on the bolsters in the above pictures cracked badly in relatively short time. No amount of leather care prevented it or would restore it. Age and Wear. Espeically when you consider a car is subjected to sunlight and temperature extremes.
Regardless, it is a personal issue. If you want leather, pay the extra $1,200-1,500 bucks. If it doesn't matter, take the M-B. Be glad M-B gives you a choice when others don't.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:54 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Attachment 223250

Gross. Welcome to normally maintained Leather. I'll stick with M-B Tex for a "timeless" look, if I'm comparing to that!

MB Tex haters have to understand that M-B has it right in this area, they give the best quality Vinyl, that crushes any Leather in durability and lasting quality, and "Leather imitation" is top notch, and these qualities are PURE Mercedes Benz. Anyone who makes the comment that "Mercedes should have Leather standard" just does't understand Mercedes-Benz or what they're about. Maybe that would be to your tastes (Standard Leather in all models), but claiming that you know what "is Mercedes-Benz" is false. Case in point mrjoe tripping all over himself with falsities in every claim and analogy he makes.

Time to start paying up for the Option if you want it, and stop the crying. If Dealers aren't ordering it, figure out a a way to build up the demand for it, but I assure you that claiming that "MB Tex isn't Mercedes Benz" or that you know what Mercedes' qualities are about, won't get you there, because MB Tex is a great and longstanding part of both.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:41 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
so I'm guess you don't wear leather or suede KA??
leather is the ish!!!
Old 12-02-2011, 08:41 PM

K-A is full of hot air. My analogs are right on the mark. Nobody wants to be a expensive product and get cheaped out on the details. Ask 100 people on the street if they want genuine leather or vinyl ( or any imitation) in their new $50,000 plus new car. I can guarantee the results of the poll. And I and many people I know have leather interiors, and hold up just fine - thank you. I for one would not treat a new Mercedes like a old work pickup truck, abusing the seats. Are you using this car at a construction site? Why not then ask for hard polymer seats if you want ultimate durability? Guaranteed to stand up to everything short of a nuclear attack . And FYI just because something has been a certain way ( MB dealers loaded up with plastic seats) does not make it right or mean it should not change.

I think some of these vinyl lovers like KA are so sensitive to the issue because they either wanted leather or at least know this level of car should have it STANDARD.
And what's not to understand - virtually all competitors have leather STANDARD
Old 12-02-2011, 09:05 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

K-A is full of hot air. My analogs are right on the mark. Nobody wants to be a expensive product and get cheaped out on the details. Ask 100 people on the street if they want genuine leather or vinyl ( or any imitation) in their new $50,000 plus new car. I can guarantee the results of the poll. And I and many people I know have leather interiors, and hold up just fine - thank you. I for one would not treat a new Mercedes like a old work pickup truck, abusing the seats. Are you using this car at a construction site? Why not then ask for hard polymer seats if you want ultimate durability? Guaranteed to stand up to everything short of a nuclear attack . And FYI just because something has been a certain way ( MB dealers loaded up with plastic seats) does not make it right or mean it should not change.

I think some of these vinyl lovers like KA are so sensitive to the issue because they either wanted leather or at least know this level of car should have it STANDARD.
Your "analogs" don't make much sense and insulting another member here isn't cool.

While I don't agree with his conclusions about MB-tex, I can't fault him for his opinions.

who knows what MB was thinking by forcing MB-tex on the non-ordering customer. Anyone who has spent a significant amount of time outside the US knows that MB-tex isn't accepted in a MB luxury car elsewhere. It is the ignorant American consumer that doesn't know any better who is to blame.

Accordingly, the rest of us have three choices

Buy MB-tex
Order a car
Buy a 550

Maybe this is MB's bait-and-switch
Old 12-02-2011, 09:08 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

If you want Standard Leather in an E-Class, the MSRP will go up $1,500 or so. The E just isn't a $50K car with Leather outfitted. Sound like you're a "Want to have my cake and eat it too" type. And.... your analogies have been off, every.single.time.

Fortunately M-B doesn't skimp out on their outstanding vinyl material and gives you the OPTION to get that, or pay the price worth for Leather.

MB Tex is a big part of M-B's lasting durability standards, so yes, some things should change, but M-B providing industry standard materials in comfort and durability (like MB Tex) shouldn't. What should change is M-B's poor choice of Leather material in the E-Class. IMO, if they gave a richer Leather type, with a true soft Leather feel and aroma, maybe buyers would opt for that Option more. Most who know there's a difference are probably like me; put a Leather E and a Tex E side by side, and you'd be hard pressed to feel, or smell a difference, they're that close. The biggest difference between the E's leather and the Tex is the stitch pattern.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:30 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2010 E350, 2015 S550

I know who is full of hot air, and over opinionated. You MrJoe! Give it a rest already. What is your goal here? To get every MB-Tex owner to sell their car and "occupy" MB until they install leather to a quality you think is worthy?

Perhaps you should convince MB that you need to consult them on option and design advice rather than their customers.

Obviously MB knows something about designing and building cars. They have been doing it for a while. Successfully.

The original poster was interested in advise and thoughts about the two options. Other than your view points, there were interesting insights as to why MB buyers made the decisions they made. Not what a lousy company MB is for offering vinyl and leather. What is especially annoying is your opinion about the people who choose what they choose. Buy what you want but don't criticise me or others for buying leather or Tex, or MB because they offer a car with vinyl seats. This has to be the most ridiculous complaint I have ever seen any one make.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:43 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by K-A
If you want Standard Leather in an E-Class, the MSRP will go up $1,500 or so. The E just isn't a $50K car with Leather outfitted. Sound like you're a "Want to have my cake and eat it too" type. And.... your analogies have been off, every.single.time.

Fortunately M-B doesn't skimp out on their outstanding vinyl material and gives you the OPTION to get that, or pay the price worth for Leather.

MB Tex is a big part of M-B's lasting durability standards, so yes, some things should change, but M-B providing industry standard materials in comfort and durability (like MB Tex) shouldn't. What should change is M-B's poor choice of Leather material in the E-Class. IMO, if they gave a richer Leather type, with a true soft Leather feel and aroma, maybe buyers would opt for that Option more. Most who know there's a difference are probably like me; put a Leather E and a Tex E side by side, and you'd be hard pressed to feel, or smell a difference, they're that close. The biggest difference between the E's leather and the Tex is the stitch pattern.
The point I disagree with is that MB does not give consumers a choice. Buy MB-tex or order a car.

What has come out of this discussion is that MB-tex appears to be durable and is easier to maintain than leather; thereby retaining its appearance better that uncared-for leather.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:28 PM

Titleist
I hope MrJoe is sitting down and on a Tex covered sofa and I surely hope the H&K is locked away somewhere because I'm afraid he's going to soil himself or off himself when he hears that not only does MB offer Tex as standard on their top 3 selling cars in the US (C, E and M), but that the cover for the owner's manuals is also Tex and not leather (with no option to order leather) and that the welcome gift from Tiffany's is no longer crystal, but just a set of nice glasses.

BTW, Mercedes just had their best November ever in the NA market. While their product strategies may not work for all, it works for them.
https://mbworld.org/features/mercede..._mbdec11_1.php
Old 12-03-2011, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
You are clearly the most over-sensitive person to the issue in this thread.

I think the thread started off as a pretty healthy informative thread explaining different facts and opinions on the two seating surfaces. I'd also like to point out that to the normal person, and even to most of us who are very aware and technical, the difference between MB-Tex and leather is minimal. I'll say it again so it can sink in for everyone who is arguing - the difference between leather and MB-Tex is minimal. The arguments have gotten so out of hand in this thread that it is becoming a bit absurd. The leather has its plusses, the MB-Tex has its plusses. They are very similar. Some prefer one, some prefer the other. Neither preference is "wrong". It's time to grow up. You prefer leather seats and there is NO reason to fault you for that. Some prefer MB-Tex, and again there is no reason to fault that. Both have their pros and cons.

Now lets all just agree to stop being so silly about it. Deal? Awesome!

Last edited by acr2001; 12-03-2011 at 12:18 AM.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:18 AM

2014 E350 Coupe Steel Gray
My story, so don't beat me up. Had a 3-series BMW with leather. After 4 years, it looked horrible (IMO). Hubby had a Yukon with leather. After 3 years, the side bolster was worn. Had my C class for over 3 years with Tex, looked the same as the day I bought it (with a kid, her messy friends, AND 2 dogs). My E has Tex and I never once considered getting leather.

I'm just putting in my .02 (because I have extra money left over from NOT getting leather).
Old 12-03-2011, 12:32 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by mnje350
I know who is full of hot air, and over opinionated. You MrJoe! Give it a rest already. What is your goal here? To get every MB-Tex owner to sell their car and "occupy" MB until they install leather to a quality you think is worthy?

Perhaps you should convince MB that you need to consult them on option and design advice rather than their customers.

Obviously MB knows something about designing and building cars. They have been doing it for a while. Successfully.

The original poster was interested in advise and thoughts about the two options. Other than your view points, there were interesting insights as to why MB buyers made the decisions they made. Not what a lousy company MB is for offering vinyl and leather. What is especially annoying is your opinion about the people who choose what they choose. Buy what you want but don't criticise me or others for buying leather or Tex, or MB because they offer a car with vinyl seats. This has to be the most ridiculous complaint I have ever seen any one make.
I hope MrJoe is sitting down and on a Tex covered sofa and I surely hope the H&K is locked away somewhere because I'm afraid he's going to soil himself or off himself when he hears that not only does MB offer Tex as standard on their top 3 selling cars in the US (C, E and M), but that the cover for the owner's manuals is also Tex and not leather (with no option to order leather) and that the welcome gift from Tiffany's is no longer crystal, but just a set of nice glasses.

BTW, Mercedes just had their best November ever in the NA market. While their product strategies may not work for all, it works for them.
https://mbworld.org/features/mercede..._mbdec11_1.php
Well said(s).

Let's not mention to the guy that the armrests, door inserts, et al, are all MT Tex and not Leather, even on Leather equipped cars!

What's funny is I'll bet most people consider M-B's to have interiors that are about impervious to abuse and wear, while BMW's are NOTORIOUS to look decades old prematurely (taking people who take good care of and detail their interiors out of the equation). A lot of this is indeed due to the credit of M-B's high quality Vinyl seats.

Also, sales wise, M-B just not only crushed BMW last month in them, but the E has about shut-out the new 5-Series with much larger Sales month after month.... During the F10's FIRST year (traditionally a cars highest selling year). The 5's Sales fell to 3,500 last month, while the E is over 5,000, and Sedan to Sedan the E-Class is outselling the 5-Series in the U.S. Mind you, this is a car (E-Class) with lower HP, and worse MPG, priced the same, outselling a newer car.... Which in fact actually outsold the Mercedes E-Class in the previous generation (W211 VS E60, E60 had much higher Sales).

SO, only reason why Sales are a good argument here, is because it shows that either M-B buyers prefer their most high-volume products with MB Tex (gasp!), or becuase MB Tex is so good, you just can't tell a difference (or of course, maybe the W212 is just that damn good that it can reverse the sales roles and defy tradition).

Now, what are we arguing about again? Doesn't M-B give us the Option of both great choices! (I know, Dealers don't supply them, but again, this is more a consumers issue than a manufacturers I'd think).

Last edited by K-A; 12-03-2011 at 12:35 AM.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:49 AM

Titleist
The car in the photo was on display at a Talk to me about MB-Tex-mb-orlando-car-show.jpgshow I attended in Orlando last year. The car won best of class. The owner was applauded for his restoration, down to his use of the red MB-Tex for the interior. When asked about the restoration, he said he wanted to restore the car to the way it rolled out of the show room.

Like the material or not, it has been on US bound MB's for many, many years.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Talk to me about MB-Tex