E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550
Old 06-05-2015, 01:15 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Car Detailing and Cleaning Guides
Print Wikipost

CAR WASH TIPS??

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by CorvetteOJ
The recipe is: 1/2 Cup clear ammonia, 1 pint of 70% Isopropyl Alcohol (rubbing alcohol), 1 teaspoon Liquid Dawn detergent, and mix with water to make one full gallon. As I said, this receipe came from the Corvette forum many years ago, so some of you may have seen it before. It outperforms anything on the market and I have tried them all, over the years.
You forgot to add shaken not stirred and would that be with one olive or two. Sorry couldn't resist!!!
Old 03-17-2012, 10:40 AM

E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by K-A
Thanks for sharing. Am I mistaken or did he pour alcohol on the car before waxing? Is that recommended?
Alcohol is used to remove any products you used to do paint correction and to make sure the paint is perfectly clean. Deailers will then do a final paint inspection with halogen and or flourscent lights to make sure there is no micro marring before using wax/sealant. The key to shine is really the preparation of the clear coat. The wax/sealant is only to protect that shine.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
I have discussed my OCD issues in various threads so I won't go into my routine of cleaning my cars. I will say, my close friends always kid me about "driving my car for an hour and cleaning it for three." That's not completely acurate but somewhat in the ballpark. Three of my four vehicles, you can eat off the engine compartment and the wheel wells. This does not include my "rain truck," although it is still the cleanest rain truck in town. I never leave the driveway in a dirty car, except for the rain truck on occasion.

Primarily, I wanted to share my recipe for window cleaner with you if anyone is interested. I got it from the Corvette forum in 1999 and have used it ever since. My wife discovered how good it was we started using it in the house, on windows and mirrors and anything else with a hard smooth finish, like the kitchen counter tops and breakfast bar.

Two things I will state for a fact. This will never leave streaks and smears when you use a good clean micro fiber rag or cotton terry cloth towel. Although the receipe has some ammonia in it...I guarantee you, it will not harm your tint. In addition to everyone of my vehicles, we also had all the windows in our house tinted about four years ago and this clearner has not harmed them in any way. Of course, when tint is involved I have always sprayed it on the rag first, instead of directly to the window. That may not be necessary, but it is just the routine I established for myself.

In addition, I took delivery of my 03 Vette on December 20th, 2002 and had the windows tinted on December 27th. I have been using this cleaner on it ever since with no issues on the tint.

The recipe is: 1/2 Cup clear ammonia, 1 pint of 70% Isopropyl Alcohol (rubbing alcohol), 1 teaspoon Liquid Dawn detergent, and mix with water to make one full gallon. As I said, this receipe came from the Corvette forum many years ago, so some of you may have seen it before. It outperforms anything on the market and I have tried them all, over the years.
thanks for the tips, oj ! but here comes my stupid questions as i don't cook nor clean my home myself. my wife does all those .

1/2 cup. is it one of those measuring cup? where can i buy ammonia?
i guess i can use any dish washing detergent, right?
you said this can use on any hard smooth finish, i assume marble and/or tile floor or even shower room tiles as well? ok for grouts?
so do you use this for both inside and outside of your cars' windows? does it work like rain-x?

i know, i know. those are some dumba$$ questions but hey, guys, at least i didn't ask how to turn on the headlights . thanks in advance, oj .
Old 03-17-2012, 11:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 W212 E350 4M
I have discussed my OCD issues in various threads so I won't go into my routine of cleaning my cars. I will say, my close friends always kid me about "driving my car for an hour and cleaning it for three." That's not completely acurate but somewhat in the ballpark. Three of my four vehicles, you can eat off the engine compartment and the wheel wells. This does not include my "rain truck," although it is still the cleanest rain truck in town. I never leave the driveway in a dirty car, except for the rain truck on occasion.

Primarily, I wanted to share my recipe for window cleaner with you if anyone is interested. I got it from the Corvette forum in 1999 and have used it ever since. My wife discovered how good it was we started using it in the house, on windows and mirrors and anything else with a hard smooth finish, like the kitchen counter tops and breakfast bar.

Two things I will state for a fact. This will never leave streaks and smears when you use a good clean micro fiber rag or cotton terry cloth towel. Although the receipe has some ammonia in it...I guarantee you, it will not harm your tint. In addition to everyone of my vehicles, we also had all the windows in our house tinted about four years ago and this clearner has not harmed them in any way. Of course, when tint is involved I have always sprayed it on the rag first, instead of directly to the window. That may not be necessary, but it is just the routine I established for myself.

In addition, I took delivery of my 03 Vette on December 20th, 2002 and had the windows tinted on December 27th. I have been using this cleaner on it ever since with no issues on the tint.

Thanks, I will blend a batch and try it.

If anyone would like to try a commercial product Invisible Glass by Stoner. It's the best I have ever used.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w212 E550
Originally Posted by RSIKR
Thanks, I will blend a batch and try it.

If anyone would like to try a commercial product Invisible Glass by Stoner. It's the best I have ever used.
so you use invisible glass on both inside and outside of the windows and windshield ?
Old 03-18-2012, 01:33 AM

2014 W212 E350 4M
Originally Posted by BM2BZ
so you use invisible glass on both inside and outside of the windows and windshield ?
Yes, and get one of those triangular shaped window washing tools that use microfiber bonnets to clean inside the windows. Very hard to reach without, especially inside the back window. Available by Invisible Glass, internet sources such as Auto Sport under their brand name, Bed, Bath and Beyond I'm told.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w212 E550
Originally Posted by RSIKR
Yes, and get one of those triangular shaped window washing tools that use microfiber bonnets to clean inside the windows. Very hard to reach without, especially inside the back window. Available by Invisible Glass, internet sources such as Auto Sport under their brand name, Bed, Bath and Beyond I'm told.
thanks and yes, i do have that little thing from years ago. i might be dreaming but i think i have a can of those invisible glass wipes at home . could be dried out already .
Old 03-18-2012, 02:39 AM

2014 W212 E350 4M
thanks and yes, i do have that little thing from years ago. i might be dreaming but i think i have a can of those invisible glass wipes at home . could be dried out already .
Invisible Glass is also sold in a spray bottle. Some car parts stores carry it as well as Lowe's.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w212 E550
yup. seen them in wal-mart. will pick one up later but first thing first, a car wash .
Old 03-18-2012, 08:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E-350
thanks for the tips, oj ! but here comes my stupid questions as i don't cook nor clean my home myself. my wife does all those .

1/2 cup. is it one of those measuring cup? where can i buy ammonia?
i guess i can use any dish washing detergent, right?
you said this can use on any hard smooth finish, i assume marble and/or tile floor or even shower room tiles as well? ok for grouts?
so do you use this for both inside and outside of your cars' windows? does it work like rain-x?

i know, i know. those are some dumba$$ questions but hey, guys, at least i didn't ask how to turn on the headlights . thanks in advance, oj .
Don't feel bad ole friend...I am just as lost in the kitchen as you. If the measuring cups weren't marked, I wouldn't know 1/2 cup from 3/4 cup. The simple fact is, a half cup is a half cup. You can buy ammonia at any grocery store or Wal-Mart in the "Cleaning Supply" area. NO, you should use Dawn Liquid Detergeant ONLY. Dawn has a grease cutting agent in it that other liquid detereants do not. This is an important ingredient. Another fact about Dawn is, if you wanted to clean all the old wax off your car and start over with a fresh coat of wax, wash the car first with Dawn. It will remove all the old wax buildup. Vett guys have been doing this for years. Yes, you can use it on marble, tile and all other similar surfaces. It does not harm grout. YES, I do use it on the inside and outside of the car windows. You asked if it works like Rain-X. If you mean does it replace/reduce the need for wipers, no, not so much. It just cleans the glass with relative ease, with no streaks or smears.

I have tried Rain-X and Stoners, they both leave a greasy film on the glass that is a challenge to remove. For those who use it and like it, super. Maybe I'm not smart enough to use it properly. Other than this window cleaner, I do use a Meguiars product on my interior. All other detailing products I use is by Zaino, including the tires, leather, chrome and paint finish.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:37 AM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
2017 S550 Iridium / Black Nappa, 2015 GL 550 Paladium Silver
I have used stoners invisible glass a few times over the past 2 months but having a problem with it not buffing out well. I use a micro fiber towel to apply and then a second microfiber towel to dry / polish. They look good until you get an early morning sunrise and then I can see the film. The window looks like I applied Rain-X and didn't polish off when done.

What am I doing wrong?
Old 03-18-2012, 12:21 PM

MB hopeful
Is the mitt for washing the only thing I should use? I haven't had a black car in years. With the silver cars, I just used a sponge. Is that too harsh for a black car?
Old 03-18-2012, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w212 E550
Don't feel bad ole friend...I am just as lost in the kitchen as you. If the measuring cups weren't marked, I wouldn't know 1/2 cup from 3/4 cup. The simple fact is, a half cup is a half cup. You can buy ammonia at any grocery store or Wal-Mart in the "Cleaning Supply" area. NO, you should use Dawn Liquid Detergeant ONLY. Dawn has a grease cutting agent in it that other liquid detereants do not. This is an important ingredient. Another fact about Dawn is, if you wanted to clean all the old wax off your car and start over with a fresh coat of wax, wash the car first with Dawn. It will remove all the old wax buildup. Vett guys have been doing this for years. Yes, you can use it on marble, tile and all other similar surfaces. It does not harm grout. YES, I do use it on the inside and outside of the car windows. You asked if it works like Rain-X. If you mean does it replace/reduce the need for wipers, no, not so much. It just cleans the glass with relative ease, with no streaks or smears.

I have tried Rain-X and Stoners, they both leave a greasy film on the glass that is a challenge to remove. For those who use it and like it, super. Maybe I'm not smart enough to use it properly. Other than this window cleaner, I do use a Meguiars product on my interior. All other detailing products I use is by Zaino, including the tires, leather, chrome and paint finish.
phew...good thing i'm not the only one who doesn't know crap about chores and kitchen .
only dawn, huh? my wife has been using palmolive for years and she'll be puzzled if i get a bottle of dawn home . as for using it cleaning the car, well, i can be sure as hell i ain't gonna do it on my own . the last time i washed my car was probably last century . exhausted, sunburn, back sore for a few days and did a crappy job .
i'm not a big fan of rain-x neither. only good thing about rain-x is the rain repellant feature but that also means the greasy film like what you said. and now i'll have to think twice before i get invisible glass after reading pntblnk's post.
thanks again, oj !
Old 03-18-2012, 06:39 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
W211 E320 & W212 E550
Originally Posted by cashking
Is the mitt for washing the only thing I should use? I haven't had a black car in years. With the silver cars, I just used a sponge. Is that too harsh for a black car?
I would never hit a black paint with anything without spraying off the surface with a high pressure wash first and foremost. I don't even recommend hand washing, by that I mean touching the surface of your car with a "whatever" is your preference. Almost every and anything will micro mar the surface. Only maybe in a NASA building that is 100% dust/dirt free environment, then just maybe you can prevent 90% of the swirl causing mars. We are all going to get them, but to what extent and how soon will they appear between polishing them out, if you so choose, is the question.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Had my house windows cleaned by a service last year and I noticed that mixed Dawn with Amonia for cleaner. I think Dawn is also what they use to clean birds and such that get caught in oil spills. Apparently it is much gentler than other detergents.
have used Invisible Glass and Eagle One windshield cleaners. Both leave an oily residue that can be seen when light hits the windshield. Usually if I use the barely damp microfiber window towel after, I get the oil off.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:09 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
2013 ML350, 2019 S560
Originally Posted by Pntblnk
I have used stoners invisible glass a few times over the past 2 months but having a problem with it not buffing out well. I use a micro fiber towel to apply and then a second microfiber towel to dry / polish. They look good until you get an early morning sunrise and then I can see the film. The window looks like I applied Rain-X and didn't polish off when done.

What am I doing wrong?
Does your microfiber have fabric softener on it? When washing microfiber cloths, it is very important not to use anything but detergent. I never have any streaking using microfiber cloths and Invisible Glass on interior or exterior windows.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:00 PM

2014 W212 E350 4M
Originally Posted by blackbullit
Does your microfiber have fabric softener on it? When washing microfiber cloths, it is very important not to use anything but detergent. I never have any streaking using microfiber cloths and Invisible Glass on interior or exterior windows.
I think a problem is the stuff on the interior of the windows from outgassing of the plastic products inside the car. This leaves residue that does not come from the glass cleaner but is hard to clean off the glass.

I wash my microfibers separately, little detergent, never a fabric softener. If you think there is excessive soap in the last rinse cycle just program another cycle.

I like invisible glass, best commercial product I ever tried.

I will make a batch of Mr. O. J. Webster's formula and try it.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:09 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by blackbullit
Thanks, didn't know that. I always wondered what is best for the microfibers. I do bundle it in with the rest of my laundry, but me being the nut that I am, I will make sure to sacrifice the rest of my laundry to no fabric softener just to protect my car from a streaky microfiber.

I do sometimes get paranoid that the microfiber might have soap remnants on it.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:24 PM

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury 4Matic
Originally Posted by K-A
Thanks, didn't know that. I always wondered what is best for the microfibers. I do bundle it in with the rest of my laundry, but me being the nut that I am, I will make sure to sacrifice the rest of my laundry to no fabric softener just to protect my car from a streaky microfiber.

I do sometimes get paranoid that the microfiber might have soap remnants on it.
K-A:

Try using the blue waffle weave microfiber made for glass. It does really well cleaning without leaving any lint on glass/mirrors. I use to wash microfiber with the rest of laundry but learned that doing so deteorates the performance, and it's true you shouldn't put softener with it.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w212 E550
if you read the washing instruction, i think all microfibers are machine washable and put in dryer is ok, too, but never w/softener. they won't be soft anymore after softener. go figure.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:51 PM

E350 Coupe
DP makes a product specifically for washing microfiber towels. Microfiber tends to trap and retain the products used with them. I have had product still in the microfiber even after washing with woolite. There are microfibers made specifically for glass (they are a flat weave and lack the nape of a traditional microfiber). They should be used only with your favorite glass cleaning product and not cross contaminated with other products.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
No matter how careful you are, if your E is a daily driver, and, you have a nice mix of city and highway miles for your commute, you will get swirls no matter what you do. Black shows the swirls the most, lighter colors the least, but, they are still there. investing in a good polishing machine is essential because the clear coat used on all MBs is ceramic based and extremely hard to polish by hand. In any case, it is unlikely you will ever get it back to 100% but you can get very close with a good machine (I recommend the FLEX orbital personally) and the right products. With Micro Fiber cloths, do not scrimp!!! There is a difference between the cheap ones and the expensive ones. The cheap ones probably have polyester threads that can scratch your finish. The high end MF cloths can last a long time. I have some that I bought from Griot's Garage many years ago that are still as plush and effective as the day I bought them. To clean them, you do not have to by "special products". Use the HOT setting on the washer and use detergent only, no fabric softener. Also, and this is really important, wash MF cloths only with other MFs. Do not put other materials in with the MF cloths (e.g. towels, socks, anything that is not micro fiber). If your washer offers an extra rinse cycle, choose that. Dry them in a dryer on a "normal" setting. They will be like new.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 119 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
I completely agree. I have a black car, I have washed it at least 20 times since last September and no matter how careful I am/will be, there are still light swirls. Ive never heard to wash microfiber in hot water though...
Old 03-21-2012, 08:42 AM

E350 Coupe
I agree with pretty much everything you've said ImInPa. I'm not sure what you you use to clean your pads for the Flex but I have found that DP pad cleaner works great. It exceded my expectations. That is why I tried DP microfiber wash. Alot of the products are not readily soluble in water (wax, sealant). After noticing that I was not getting a clean surface after wipe down with freshly washed MFs I deceided to try DP. It appears to work better than reqular detergents. It has the same properties as their pad cleaner. You might give it a try. I always wash my microfibers after a single use and never use them for more than one product.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
steelgrey: Good information on the DP products. I have heard good things about them The polishes I use are from menzerna for the most part. I use their SIP and 106FA. They are water based and rinse out very well with warm water. The MFs just go into the washer with regular detergent (I think I use Cheer something or other but they are all fine to use). I wash them hot to help soften any hard contaminates that may be on them (e.g. wax or sealant) and to re-open the nap. I always do a second rinse cycle, and they just come out like new, time after time. The wax pad I use, I generally just douse it with some "spray and wash" and give it the same treatment as the MF in the washer and they come out great too.

Last edited by ImInPA; 03-21-2012 at 05:40 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: CAR WASH TIPS??