MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   Failed State Inspection (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/441740-failed-state-inspection.html)

listerone 04-02-2012 04:00 PM

Failed State Inspection

Just a small warning....not long ago I had the recently released software update addressing the "bucking" issue with some diesels installed.Today I took it in for its annual state inspection and when I returned I saw that it sported a rejection sticker.Astounded,I asked the guy how that could be and he said that somebody must have disconnected the battery because the state's computer couldn't get enough data from the car's computer to allow a pass (for the emissions system).He said that the car's computer needs time to recompile enough data for the inspection computer to read.

So it appears that any time the dealer flashes the car's computer it's wise to wait a while before undergoing any kind of state emissions inspection.

CEB 04-02-2012 08:53 PM

That's a piss poor reason for failing inspection.

MD would have done a secondary test and passed you.

mikemargolis 04-02-2012 10:08 PM

Connecticut???

I live in CT and did emissions tests on two cars last fall (pre-MB). AFAIK it was just a stuff the sensor in the tailpipe test.

ImInPA 04-02-2012 10:50 PM

No emissions tests for diesels in PA.

CEB 04-02-2012 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by mikemargolis (Post 5131098)
Connecticut???

I live in CT and did emissions tests on two cars last fall (pre-MB). AFAIK it was just a stuff the sensor in the tailpipe test.

Most states have gone to the OBDII test with a fallback to the sensor in the tailpipe - which they should have done here.

Arrie 04-03-2012 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by CEB (Post 5131189)
Most states have gone to the OBDII test with a fallback to the sensor in the tailpipe - which they should have done here.

Lots of places don't even have equipment to do the tail pipe test any more as the OBD II is so simple to do.

It just is that it should not take that long for the sensors to reset. What takes most time is to get catalytic converter sensors reset again and that usually takes just one road trip to drive. It can take a couple of days for it if not driven a long stint on a highway.

BenzV12 04-03-2012 04:47 AM

These tests are rubbish and I don't think new cars need them . Do you really think that global warming is happening just because of burning oils :rolleyes:
These cars meet Euro 5 Norms that are very intense :word:

hyperion667 04-03-2012 07:45 AM

wow! how lame.....I thought you were going to say 'because of side markers' or something! can't believe it!

good luck homey

venchka 04-03-2012 08:07 AM

How much info. does the computer need? Days? Weeks? How long did they give you to get it right and be retested?
Another reason to like living in the Boonies on the Upper East side of Texas. No sniff test and no lame extra charges for a sniff test. Got to love living way back in the woods.

Wayne

El Cid 04-03-2012 10:18 AM

South Carolina does not require any kind of safety, emissions or other testing. One reason why so many vehicles have one or no head or tail lights, defective or disconnected mufflers, etc.

mtrevelino 04-03-2012 10:38 AM

Northern Virginia requires emissions testing on diesels. I just missed it as I recently moved to Central VA in which no emissions testing is required.
Back to this thread, I thought that I read a posts that a person was having trouble with his OBD II port not connecting with a scanner tool. I think he had to replace the OBD II connector.
Mike T.

thegamemodo9 04-03-2012 10:55 AM

I had the same problem last year with my BMW. It's not really a new issue, it happens when the battery is disconnected for a period of time. Normally driving it for 40-50 miles or so is enough to reset the system.

I don't know what it is for your state, but Texas lets you re-test within a week at no additional charge. I drove the car around for the rest of the day, brought it back in the morning, and it passed.

C43AMG 04-03-2012 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by ImInPA (Post 5131165)
No emissions tests for diesels in PA.

+ 1 for New Jersey :y

mnje350 04-03-2012 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by BenzV12 (Post 5131435)
These tests are rubbish and I don't think new cars need them . Do you really think that global warming is happening just because of burning oils :rolleyes:
These cars meet Euro 5 Norms that are very intense :word:

Absolutely correct! These tests are nothing more than a disguised tax. Exception was the state of Georgia. They exempted new cars. I think for three years if I remember correctly. Not so in NC. Inspecting the emissions of a brand new car manufactured to the latest emission standards is nothing more than an excuse for a tax.

CEB 04-03-2012 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Arrie (Post 5131403)
Lots of places don't even have equipment to do the tail pipe test any more as the OBD II is so simple to do.

It just is that it should not take that long for the sensors to reset. What takes most time is to get catalytic converter sensors reset again and that usually takes just one road trip to drive. It can take a couple of days for it if not driven a long stint on a highway.

Un-possible. OBDII was introduced in 1994 and mandated in 1996. If they only did OBDII then it would mean that they cannot test cars prior to 1996. They can do away with the sniffer in ten years when the 1996s have reached "antique car" status and are exempt from testing.

CEB 04-03-2012 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by mnje350 (Post 5132515)
Absolutely correct! These tests are nothing more than a disguised tax. Exception was the state of Georgia. They exempted new cars. I think for three years if I remember correctly. Not so in NC. Inspecting the emissions of a brand new car manufactured to the latest emission standards is nothing more than an excuse for a tax.

Many (most?) states exempt new cars for the first two or three years.

In MD it is unlikely that the state makes a huge profit on the $14 they charge for a test every two years. Each testing station costs quite a bit of money. Each test takes about 10 minutes so figure each inspector does 5 tests an hour (it takes time to pull in cars, retest etc.) so they pull in about $70 per inspector - hardly enough to pay salary - much less overhead. Even at 6 tests an hour, they are making a whopping $84 an hour.

mnje350 04-03-2012 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by CEB (Post 5132703)

In MD it is unlikely that the state makes a huge profit on the $14 they charge for a test every two years. Each testing station costs quite a bit of money. Each test takes about 10 minutes so figure each inspector does 5 tests an hour (it takes time to pull in cars, retest etc.) so they pull in about $70 per inspector - hardly enough to pay salary - much less overhead. Even at 6 tests an hour, they are making a whopping $84 an hour.

In NC new cars are not exempt. The test is not carried out by state run facilities. The private inspector keeps a portion for their labor to carry out the ten minute inspection. The rest goes to the state. I will not accept that revene going to the state for this purpose is not a tax. A brand new car, meeting all emissions standards is subject to this state inspection. This is nothing other than a tax. Just because it is a small amount of revene does not make it any something other than a tax.

mnje350 04-03-2012 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by CEB (Post 5132703)

Additional information,

According to the state of NC $6.25 of the $30 paid every year is a tax. Oh, and if your windows are tinted the inspection costs an extra 10 bucks. Let's see, $6.25 times 8.5 million vehicles every year, less the 2 million that may be exempt and overlooking the tint tax, about 40 million a year. I agree, not a huge sum of money as far as revenue streams are concerned, but it is clearly a tax. I do not believe that in increases safety or improves air quality.

CEB 04-04-2012 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by mnje350 (Post 5132726)
In NC new cars are not exempt. The test is not carried out by state run facilities. The private inspector keeps a portion for their labor to carry out the ten minute inspection. The rest goes to the state. I will not accept that revene going to the state for this purpose is not a tax. A brand new car, meeting all emissions standards is subject to this state inspection. This is nothing other than a tax. Just because it is a small amount of revene does not make it any something other than a tax.

Originally Posted by mnje350 (Post 5132770)
Additional information,

According to the state of NC $6.25 of the $30 paid every year is a tax. Oh, and if your windows are tinted the inspection costs an extra 10 bucks. Let's see, $6.25 times 8.5 million vehicles every year, less the 2 million that may be exempt and overlooking the tint tax, about 40 million a year. I agree, not a huge sum of money as far as revenue streams are concerned, but it is clearly a tax. I do not believe that in increases safety or improves air quality.

The only way to determine that is to see statistics on how many new cars fail inspection. If that number is non-existent or very small, then you can petition your state legislature to do away with the test for new cars.

mnje350 04-04-2012 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by CEB (Post 5133914)
The only way to determine that is to see statistics on how many new cars fail inspection. If that number is non-existent or very small, then you can petition your state legislature to do away with the test for new cars.

That is probably correct. My only point is that in our state, it is nothing more than a tax under the guise of public safety and clean air. If new cars were exempt as in many other states I would buy the clean air and safety rational.

Mbenz260e 04-08-2012 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by CEB (Post 5130981)
That's a piss poor reason for failing inspection.

MD would have done a secondary test and passed you.

In MD i think he would be exempt as it's a diesel correct?

CEB 04-08-2012 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mbenz260e (Post 5140085)
In MD i think he would be exempt as it's a diesel correct?

Correct.