MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   Steering Wheel Change (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/444625-steering-wheel-change.html)

BenzV12 04-23-2012 05:35 AM

Steering Wheel Change

2 Attachment(s)
Here is the deal .
There is something I wanna do in my car . I am a huge fiend of "cut off" straight belly steering wheels and 2012 W212 AMG sport package is what I like the most :naughty: .

So, altought my stock steering wheel is cool -IMAGE 692- ,I wanted somewhat more sportier and being a fan of " nicked " wheels I have just decided to order this one . (14379)

So, what's your opinion on this AMG wheel ? It is derived from CLS AMG as hyper's car and I think it should be more practical than my stock steering wheel too

BM2BZ 04-23-2012 05:53 AM

not sure about the exact size but the amg one looks cooler, thicker and smaller which makes it comfy to grab and nice to look at. how much will it cost you for both part and labor :confused:?

MB500 04-23-2012 06:01 AM

I don't see huge difference -- your stock one looks just fine. If money is not in question, then do it. Otherwise you'll never get your 'investment' back when selling the car. BTW, swapping steering wheels is relatively easy -- I've done it three-four times replacing regular wheels with ones with wood.

BenzV12 04-23-2012 12:05 PM

I haven't asked about labor but price is around $1200 . E63 AMG's can be applied too but I like this styling better :zoom:

K-A 04-23-2012 01:27 PM

I recently had a new C as a Loaner with the nice looking new "AMG style" wheel. I do like the look with the silver bars, however they're cheaper to the touch than my 2011 style 3 spoke wheel which is all black vinyl, and they get fingerprinted easily. Not sure if that's of any help to you though, lol. :D

BenzV12 04-23-2012 01:35 PM

Thanks for your input K-A , I don't like 2011 AMG steering wheels but these new model's look very dandy because of styling of the buttons :naughty:

BM2BZ 04-23-2012 06:59 PM

holy crap :eek:! $1,200 w/o just because of the styling of the buttons :eek::eek::eek:?! please show me how to print bills :D.

Yosheego 04-23-2012 07:15 PM

I like the cut off one better...did that $1200 include a airbag?

BenzV12 04-24-2012 03:33 AM

Yup, it includes airbag :)

Not just because of styling buttons but also aluminum trim is better designed than the stock one .
LOL, BM2BZ prices are higher than they're in Germany lol
As far as I am concerned , prices vary according to the steering wheel specs.If you have driver assit package that includes vibrated steering wheel , it will set you back a few more bucks lol :nix:

BM2BZ 04-24-2012 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by BenzV12 (Post 5163093)
LOL, BM2BZ prices are higher than they're in Germany lol

now you make me thinking, what if you get parts from countries like cambodia? will it be much cheaper than :confused:?

BenzV12 04-24-2012 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by BM2BZ (Post 5163117)
now you make me thinking, what if you get parts from countries like cambodia? will it be much cheaper than :confused:?

You need to add tax and customs and of course dealer price ,this is why it's more expensive .I mean you're not 1st hand :nix:

I see your message but as far as I am concerned MB is having some parts produce in Asia in order to keep the cost low but AMG steering wheels are made in Germany lol .

BM2BZ 04-24-2012 05:32 PM

well, if you order from other people, not mb, in those countries, they could put a much lower value on the custom form and you probably don't have to pay any duties. but you are taking a risk of lost or damage in transit. i know it's illegal to declare a different value on a custom form but those sellers usually put a much lower value on the form w/o me even asking. in fact, i want them to put the actual values on most of the time.

BenzV12 06-08-2012 05:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I forgot , I already posted this topic . So, my E63 AMG steering wheel , top and bottom cut arrived . Here's an image for it :y

BM2BZ 06-08-2012 06:03 AM

nice :y! please post more pics after the installation. no rush...but be quick :rolf:!!!

BenzV12 06-08-2012 06:28 AM

Thanks , I will visit private MB service today because my dealer is more than 350 kms away from me . If they can't handle this job - no problem for me - we will have to wait a few weeks
Sorry if 2nd thing happens :rolf:

BenzV12 06-08-2012 03:05 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here is the latest update to the interior :naughty:

Our private MB shop managed to replace the steering wheel :y

This really makes a huge different , I love the way it grips my hand or my hand grips it lol :cool::zoom:

BM2BZ 06-08-2012 06:51 PM

wow, you have that done in less than 9 hrs :eek:?! that's what we call efficiency :bow::bow::bow:. very nice :y! how much did your dealer charge you?

newyorktoLA 06-08-2012 07:37 PM

I WANT ONE

SoCalCLK 06-09-2012 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by BenzV12 (Post 5232629)
Here is the latest update to the interior :naughty:

Our private MB shop managed to replace the steering wheel :y

This really makes a huge different , I love the way it grips my hand or my hand grips it lol :cool::zoom:

That looks great. The aluminum on the steering wheel really brings out the accents on the A/C vents and the dash. Very nice!

BenzV12 06-09-2012 05:09 AM

Thanks guys for your replies :)
Actually, it was no longer a 5 mins job but we could not figure out to how to remove airbag this one was different than W211 ,this is why I called where I bought the steering wheel and the service manager advised the MB craftsman how to remove it .

It required 20mm torx screw driver and push it down thru hidden round holes and pry it out .
In older models screw driver holes were apparent .
Kudos to private MB shop , it was 1st ever time they tackled a job on W212 and made it greatly :D

Another thing I should add, airbag malfunction came on despite removing the airbag with the ignition off unlike previous models . My local MB shop connected Bosch Device , it had the light turned off

leapingpoint 06-09-2012 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by BenzV12 (Post 5233337)
Actually, it was no longer a 5 mins job but we could not figure out to how to remove airbag this one was different than W211 ,this is why I called where I bought the steering wheel and the service manager advised the MB craftsman how to remove it .

It required 20mm torx screw driver and push it down thru hidden round holes and pry it out .
Kudos to private MB shop , it was 1st ever time they tackled a job on W212 and made it greatly :D

Another thing I should add, airbag malfunction came on despite removing the airbag with the ignition off unlike previous models . My local MB shop connected Bosch Device , it made the light turned off

the way to do it without triggering the airbag warning is to unhook the battery first. I've seen someone here with the alcantara steering wheel of the same style, and he said that's how he did it. I love this one u got, man, but I'm not sure if I want to spend this much on a steering wheel swap...

BM2BZ 06-09-2012 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by BenzV12 (Post 5233337)

Another thing I should add, airbag malfunction came on despite removing the airbag with the ignition off unlike previous models . My local MB shop connected Bosch Device , it had the light turned off

so did they charge you big bucks for it :confused:? also, i hope turned off the light doesn't mean it'll turn it off permanently. what if, knock on wood, it turns out to be a real malfunction one day? you won't be able to know, right :nix:?

BenzV12 06-09-2012 06:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by BM2BZ (Post 5233811)
so did they charge you big bucks for it :confused:? also, i hope turned off the light doesn't mean it'll turn it off permanently. what if, knock on wood, it turns out to be a real malfunction one day? you won't be able to know, right :nix:?

Nope, they didn't charge for it , I paid just for the job they tackled . They said it was OK to delete the message by using BOSCH TECH whatever it is lol .
For older models, with the your engine is off , you would not see any malfunction light anyway .
W212 should be wayyyy smarter than all the cars lol :D

Only one thing I can complain for the sake of complain lol
PRND is being blocked by the right side UP paddle button at some angles but in some degrees you can see the PRND all the way
Here's an image for it but this is not a big deal :zoom:

minho80 06-09-2012 08:15 PM

Good job looks great

xolinlevh 07-13-2012 11:02 AM

Just found this thread, was wondering if it was possible, now i know it is! time to start shopping for the new wheel!