E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

2012 E350 - Blown motor with less than 1000 miles! What are my options?

Old 05-10-2012, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e350
Originally Posted by steelgrey
The Infiniti (Nissan) G35 Coupe 2005 to 2007 6MT VQ35 HR engines suffer from oil consumption issues (bad rings) I have read of numerous engines that had to be replaced. Replacing the entire engine is the only fix. So much for never happening to a Japanese car.
I just ordered my first Benz. If the engine is a dud on a new e350, I will be very upset. I can accept electrical problems but mechanically it better work perfectly to 100k miles for a 60k car.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 GL450
Originally Posted by bigh123
I just ordered my first Benz. If the engine is a dud on a new e350, I will be very upset. I can accept electrical problems but mechanically it better work perfectly to 100k miles for a 60k car.
See this is just backwards to me: I'd MUCH prefer an engine failure to electrical problems. You never know what an electrical problem can do to seemingly unrelated components in a car.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:56 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by ttoE550
Actually, you can just pull it out and plug it in. When I owned my 911, it seemed every time I went in for service they had to pull out the engine to work on some other part of the car (I had a lot of coolant issues). It used to be in F1 racing, they'd design engines to be good for about 2 qualifying laps - then it would fall apart and need to be replaced for the race. It was still the same car, just a different engine.

The "heart" of the car (if there is such a thing) is the chassis. You can change every other component on the car and still have the same car. If you change the chassis, you have a different car even if you use ALL of the components from the original chassis.
That's a good point. Also, Ferrari's for the most part I believe have to have their entire motors pulled for mere oil changes. When getting an engine replaced, just like when getting a window motor replaced, you'd never know as long as the installation is done correctly: Perfectly brand new car, not "defected", no signs of "a construction sight", etc. If this is the step they take, the most important thing is making sure you're dealing with a very competent group of techs.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:49 PM

e350
See this is just backwards to me: I'd MUCH prefer an engine failure to electrical problems. You never know what an electrical problem can do to seemingly unrelated components in a car.
To me a car should first and foremost get you from point a to point b and not strand you anywhere. If you can drive with an electrical problem fine. As long as the components still works (although not perfectly) its more of a pest.

Second, a car should keep you safe. I narrowed down to the e class because it is one of the safest mid size sedans out there especially with the driver assistance package.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Lexus LS 400, 2008 BMW 528i, 2014 e250 BlueTec
Don't know correct right words to say but I have faith in E350. Your case must have been some odd ball case. There are so many E350s on the road with solid records of happy ownership. Even if the engine was replaced, there would be nothing wrong with the car.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:09 PM

E350 4Matic 2011
If I recall correctly there was a recall campaign for cars built in a certain time frame with defective engines. I think it is in one of the "sticky" threads. While replacing an engine sounds pretty major, I think you will be fine with the new motor. Getting an extended warranty on it to 7/100 or so should allay your fears, at least somewhat, though I can completely understand your point of view.

Good luck.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:45 PM

e350
Originally Posted by telemakhos
If I recall correctly there was a recall campaign for cars built in a certain time frame with defective engines. I think it is in one of the "sticky" threads. While replacing an engine sounds pretty major, I think you will be fine with the new motor. Getting an extended warranty on it to 7/100 or so should allay your fears, at least somewhat, though I can completely understand your point of view.

Good luck.
I always had the impression that the best people to take out and put in an engine in a car are in the assembly plants not the dealerships. Can we trust mechanics in a MB dealership to correctly take out and install a motor? (OP I'm really not trying to scare you. I hope you get a brand new car or get a service manager to guarntee the install)
Old 05-10-2012, 10:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E-class
just curious, if dude got a new engine installed, how is the new engine number gonna match the number on the chasis and under the windshield? mercedes give engrave the same number on the new engine? are they legally allowed to do that? how does that work?
Old 05-10-2012, 10:13 PM
MCF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
Originally Posted by leapingpoint
motor replacement is a minor issue?!?!?!
SURE it is...just like a heart transplant. Let's see, Germans in Germany putting in the original motor or some knucklehead here in the states attempting to put in a new motor.

God put in your original heart, you think anyone can do as good as job when they attempt to put in another heart...hehehehehe!!!
Old 05-11-2012, 12:25 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 146 Likes on 102 Posts
To answer the question further back, the car will no longer be a matching numbers car and will negatively affect the car's value. If your engine failed with over 10,000 miles getting a replacement (which may not even be new, but remanufactuered) would be acceptable and somewhat of a positive starting off with zero miles; but with only 1000 miles would not.

Another thing to consider, it's not just a simple as plug and play, as the exsisting engine must be seperated from the trans/flywheel etc with the new engine then being installed and no matter how tatented your local service dept is, it will never be as good as factory assembly.

Take my first advice and if they don't want to replace your car let them kill another 2-3 weeks getting and replacing the engine then head toward lemon law; that's what it's there for...
Old 05-11-2012, 05:16 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Damn, RJC! Haven't noticed you in a while, and that Jag you were so excited about turned out to be a Lemon?!

F'ING Jaguar, huh?! Can't get it right. Not the first person I've heard from who was so excited about one and had to write it away due to shoddy build quality. Oddly enough, my Cousins XF Diesel in rigorous streets of Paris has been a work horse.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:19 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by MCF
SURE it is...just like a heart transplant. Let's see, Germans in Germany putting in the original motor or some knucklehead here in the states attempting to put in a new motor.

God put in your original heart, you think anyone can do as good as job when they attempt to put in another heart...hehehehehe!!!
If it was God who sat in a lab assembling all our hearts, then he didn't nail it the first time with many people who've suffered defects, and in fact some guy in a white coat and bright lit room turned out to fix the problem.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:31 AM

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
2017 E300 4matic Sport
Originally Posted by Spinny201
Thank you for your response. Ironically you are from the same state as me. If you happen to know anyone from (in our area)I can contact directly that would be great.

It's a real shame we have to go through this so I am trying to gather up all of my 'ammunition' so to speak so I can get this taken care of.

Bottom line is, we are not accepting a brand new 2012 E350 with a replaced engine - it is not an option.

The difference between a great dealership and one that is simply churning out cars is how they support their customers.

Mercedes will definitely replace your car if your dealer principal and service director make the right calls. With that said, if MBNA has become numb to wanting high levels of loyal customer satisfaction, then demand the 100K warranty and reimbursements of 3+ months of payments. There are many lawyers that specialize in lemon law and other auto defects that can push this along if your dealer refuses.

Lastly, can you name the dealership either here or in a PM so I can stay clear of them.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:49 PM

E350
Again, thank you for all of the responses. We have filed a formal complaint with MBUSA. Today the service agent called me and said "I don't know what you did, but you did something right, MBUSA has a field tech here and corporate offices have been calling my manager all morning".

Plain and simple - we are not accepting a brand new car with a replaced engine. It's not an option. Yes this may be a normal occurance with a ferrari or a porsche, but this is neither.

The numbers will not match, I do not have faith that the any tech has that much experience swapping an entire engine in a 350 and on top of that, if they messed up building the motor, who knows what else could have been neglected.

The car is currently being serviced at another dealership because we refuse to go back to where we purchased the car due to the horrible sales experience we had. It was seriously the worst experience of our lives purchasing a car. This is not the first car that has been purchased there but it will be the last.

I will keep this thread updated as I find out more information. Again I thank everyone for their insight.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:57 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 E350 Coupe
Again, thank you for all of the responses. We have filed a formal complaint with MBUSA. Today the service agent called me and said "I don't know what you did, but you did something right, MBUSA has a field tech here and corporate offices have been calling my manager all morning".

Plain and simple - we are not accepting a brand new car with a replaced engine. It's not an option. Yes this may be a normal occurance with a ferrari or a porsche, but this is neither.

The numbers will not match, I do not have faith that the any tech has that much experience swapping an entire engine in a 350 and on top of that, if they messed up building the motor, who knows what else could have been neglected.

The car is currently being serviced at another dealership because we refuse to go back to where we purchased the car due to the horrible sales experience we had. It was seriously the worst experience of our lives purchasing a car. This is not the first car that has been purchased there but it will be the last.

I will keep this thread updated as I find out more information. Again I thank everyone for their insight.
WOOHOO!! Great fighting words!!

Hey, if they're foolish enough to mess with you and all else fails, we can all band together with you and do an "Occupy Mercedes" sit-in on their NJ campus!! Y'know, we'll embarrass the hell out of them, litter their HQ with dumpsters and crates, set up housekeeping, bring in some porta-johns and............er.........uh.........hmmm......of course my schedule is kind of tight and I probably won't be able to make it and.....well.......

But seriously, best of luck and to be continued.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:06 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by RJC
To answer the question further back, the car will no longer be a matching numbers car and will negatively affect the car's value. If your engine failed with over 10,000 miles getting a replacement (which may not even be new, but remanufactuered) would be acceptable and somewhat of a positive starting off with zero miles; but with only 1000 miles would not.

Another thing to consider, it's not just a simple as plug and play, as the exsisting engine must be seperated from the trans/flywheel etc with the new engine then being installed and no matter how tatented your local service dept is, it will never be as good as factory assembly.

Take my first advice and if they don't want to replace your car let them kill another 2-3 weeks getting and replacing the engine then head toward lemon law; that's what it's there for...
YO RJC!

Not to hijack this thread, but: what K-A said. Good to see you back.

Didn't know you wound up with a Jag. What the H happened to it, that it turned sour?

I know you will love that SL550. My 350C is still purring with zero issues. All cream and no lemon, so far.

Best regards.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Current: 2011 W212 Previous: 2008 W211 2006 550 2001 Rover 1997 W210
Sorry, I don't care what all of you are saying about this being an okay thing...

I'd be pissed about having to replace a new engine after 1k miles after buying the car new. I'd do what I could to get a new replacement.

Good luck to you op. Hope things work out in your favor.

PS. What's with all of these heart analogies? Stupid. Would you rather have the heart you are born with or one that has been transplanted into you?

Last edited by EmE247; 05-11-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:50 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 146 Likes on 102 Posts
Al and KA

Good hearing from you guys. Yes the Jaguar turned out to be a problem child, here's the whole 9 page thread about it http://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk...e9/#post511744

Aside from all the many initial quality issues the car was quite nice and beautiful in and out, but there has been a problem with cold start misfires on several new 11-12 Jags being reported that are/were requiring new engines or cylinder heads on brand new cars. I'd be willing to try another one but I don't know if Jag will allow that; I'll know more next week.

In the meantime I figured I go with the new SL and get the driver's seat modified to cool vs just vent, we'll see. Here's a great thread on this mod from the 211 AMG forum and might interest some here; apparently it's quite easy:https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...d-anymore.html

Regards,

Last edited by RJC; 05-11-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
I haven't read all the posts so please excuse me if this question has already been addressed...have you explored what options might be open to you under your home state's "lemon laws"? I ask because,IMO,unless you're a long term,big $$$,Mercedes buyer (or a member of the automotive press) I'd be stunned if they give you a new one unless compelled to do so under state/Federal law.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
To the OP: The route you have chosen is certain to be frustrating. Good luck to you. Keep in mind, you did not accept a brand new car with a replacement engine. You bought a brand new car that now needs the engine replaced under warranty. That is what warranties are all about. I still recommend to you to accept the remedies and get out of the car sine you will not be happy with it. I hope you are successful, but, the laws are unlikely to be on your side here.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:54 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by EmE247
PS. What's with all of these heart analogies? Stupid. Would you rather have the heart you are born with or one that has been transplanted into you?
Whichever one keeps you alive and healthy for longer.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 GL450
Originally Posted by EmE247

Hey, if I could get a brand new, never-been-used heart and, sad to say, liver that was specifically designed for my body, I'd certainly consider it an upgrade!
Old 05-11-2012, 06:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Current: 2011 W212 Previous: 2008 W211 2006 550 2001 Rover 1997 W210
Hey, if I could get a brand new, never-been-used heart and, sad to say, liver that was specifically designed for my body, I'd certainly consider it an upgrade!
LOL me too... But that's talking after running it 100K+ miles... Especially the liver...

But 99% of everyone out there that started w/ a good heart would not want a transplanted heart. And the 1% that started with the bad one would want the new one. And even that 1% would wish that they were like the other 99% that started w/ the good one in the first place...
Old 05-11-2012, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by bigh123
Are you being sarcastic? On what planet is replacing an engine minor? It is the heart of a car and not something you can plug out and plug in. Totally unacceptable. This would never happen to a japanese car. They better give you something back big.
I can tell you from first hand experience that it does happen to Japanese cars and the end result is just fine.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
Replacing an engine is not a big deal. Rebuilding an engine is. Lemon law is for repeat problems. This is your first problem and it will be rectified by MB. As far as non matching numbers, this is not a collector's car it's just an entry level premium car. Do you actually think people check for matching numbers when buying a three or four year old car. This will not affect the value.

In 2004 the transmission failed in my brand new SL500 when it had 3000kms(1800mi). MB replaced the transmission at a cost of 10K and the car was back driving like new. When I traded the car in 2006 on a new 2006 Porsche Carrera no one checked if it was a numbers matching car because it did not matter. I did very well on the trade value.

It's quite common to replace an engine in Porsches because of harder use. A carrera S is worth twice as much as a E350 and Porsche would not replace the car for a defective engine.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2012 E350 - Blown motor with less than 1000 miles! What are my options?