E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

dealer is replacing my rear spoiler. do those not come painted from the factory?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 07:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 E350 4matic
dealer is replacing my rear spoiler. do those not come painted from the factory?

Ok since my spoiler wont lay down on the edges... the dealer is replacing it. but they say it comes in UNPAINTED and they have to send it out for paint. anyone know if this is true?
Old 07-10-2012, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
It is an accessory item on non-AMG W212. Unpainted.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 E350
The same thing happened to me, but in my case the service manager ordered an AMG trunk spoiler instead of the regular sport spoiler and it came pre-painted, the spoiler however, was installed by an approved MBZ body shop and not the dealer. All under warranty.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by eagle_lex
they say it comes in UNPAINTED and they have to send it out for paint. anyone know if this is true?
Correct, spoiler is delivered primed as documented on the bulletin I sent.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:24 AM

2012 E350 4matic
fcienfuegos- your lucky. my dealer stated MB would only pay for the non amg spoiler. so now i have to wait and see how bad this paint is going to be done. wish me luck guys. for the life of me i cant see an AMG spoiler costing more than a NON one that has to then be painted. but what do i know.....
Old 07-11-2012, 09:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
fcienfuegos- your lucky. my dealer stated MB would only pay for the non amg spoiler. so now i have to wait and see how bad this paint is going to be done. wish me luck guys. for the life of me i cant see an AMG spoiler costing more than a NON one that has to then be painted. but what do i know.....
If you ordered the car with the spoiler, it was painted at the port by a regular body shop. I don't imagine the quality will differ much from your original spoiler.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:03 PM

2012 E350
I hope you get your spoiler painted, and installed correctly. It was a bit of a nightmare for me, they tried to re-tape the old spoiler twice and both times it was coming off at the corners within two days. I complaint enough that they ordered me a new one (also suggested by the body shop) and I guess they either tried to make up for their failed attempts, ordered the wrong part or it was the only part available at the time...in any case I like my new spolier and it is still intact

Old 07-11-2012, 02:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 GLK350 P1, Multi-media & AMG Pkg; 2010 E350 w/ prem 2; 2018 4Runner SR5 Prem. 4x4
interesting how the rear spoiler isn't laying down on the edges.

was this a oem stock rear spoiler? got any pics?

im more surprised that they are buying another one and having it painted. one would assume not enough 3M tape on the edges, so remove and retape would sound more sensible.

hope they test fit the new rear spoiler prior to painting.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:10 PM

2012 E350
Yes, my car came with the spoiler when I picked it up, and the color of the new spoiler is a perfect match...but now I have another problem, yesterday while washing my car I noticed that the chromed trim on the trunk lid is now coming off it is the one in between the two tail lights, it looks like it was also taped in place and maybe the problem is the tape they used or the process that they used when they taped both the trim and spoiler to the car...I got to call them again, drive 35 miles each way, get a rental for the day and pick up my car the next day...it's a hassle that I really don't need! It makes me wish that these pieces were clipped on or bolted on rather than taped on.

Originally Posted by YYZ-E55
If you ordered the car with the spoiler, it was painted at the port by a regular body shop. I don't imagine the quality will differ much from your original spoiler.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:59 PM

2012 E350 4matic
ugh im sorry to hear that man! mine was original equipment rear spoiler. dealer is going to try some sealant on the new one so the taped ends dont pop up again. sorry no pics.... but basically the ends protrude upwards a tad leaving a gap. there IS tape to the ends but the tape doesnt want to hold. probably cause we have had 104 degree temps here. but none the less... it needs to be fixed. im sure they wont test fit it. come on... thats asking MB to do something..... not going to happen. ill just let them install it and if i have any complaints... trust me they will hear them.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
Originally Posted by PHML
interesting how the rear spoiler isn't laying down on the edges.

was this a oem stock rear spoiler? got any pics?

im more surprised that they are buying another one and having it painted. one would assume not enough 3M tape on the edges, so remove and retape would sound more sensible.

hope they test fit the new rear spoiler prior to painting.
here you go. got it from konigstiger's thread:

Old 09-13-2012, 09:39 AM

E350
Same Issue on 2012 E350

If anyone is still monitoring this thread, I am having the same issue on my 2012 E350. I am taking it back to the dealer for the second time on monday because the spoiler won't lay down. What was the best "fix" for this issue?

The attached pic is not as bad as the first time...
Attached Thumbnails dealer is replacing my rear spoiler. do those not come painted from the factory?-car3.jpg  
Old 09-13-2012, 10:15 AM

2010 E350
The only real fix is to replace.. Your spoiler was probably not the correct contour for some reason and it finally lifted. I'e installed many M trunk spoilers and every factory piece would lie flat with no glue. It isn't the glues job to shape the piece, only hold it in place.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:20 AM

2012 E350 4matic
mine never got to AMG perfection. it still has a slight lift on the drivers side. very poor design on this E spoiler for some reason. ive not seen this really happen on any other model. get it to where you can "live with" it and let it go is the approach i took.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
i think it would not lie flat since the thickness of the double-sided tape. no ?
Old 09-14-2012, 08:53 AM

2014 E350 4M
I had the same issue, but instead of going to the dealer and wasting my time i had it fixed my self, i had my spoiled removed and cleaned with lighter fuel to get old double sided tape out. After it was clean and trunk was clean i've used

to re attach it back on to the trunk and now its holing great. i dont think anything would be able to remove it at this point.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:07 PM

2014 E350 Cabriolet
My rear deck spoiler has come loose

Hey guys, I just took possession of my 2014 E350 Cabriolet three weeks ago and my rear deck spoiler has come loose on the right hand side. Took it to the dealer to have it fixed and picked it up today...when I got home the spoiler had come loose in the same place again.

Note: my service guy said it was caused by the car wash I took it to.

Any suggestions before I take it back to the dealer??
Old 06-18-2014, 11:22 AM

2012 E350
Originally Posted by psiddle
Hey guys, I just took possession of my 2014 E350 Cabriolet three weeks ago and my rear deck spoiler has come loose on the right hand side. Took it to the dealer to have it fixed and picked it up today...when I got home the spoiler had come loose in the same place again.

Note: my service guy said it was caused by the car wash I took it to.

Any suggestions before I take it back to the dealer??
The dealer needs to install a new spoiler, when this happened to me they told me that once the spoiler is removed it looses it's shape and it can't be re installed. In my case they ended up ordering a new one and I had no problems after that.

Good luck
Old 06-18-2014, 12:15 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
W211 E320 & W212 E550
You guys will be in the same boat again for those of you using the double sided tape. I don't care what brand, it won't hold. You have to use a silicone adhesive on those ends. Trust me!! Just find some in the color of your paint, apply and let thicken for a bit then use tape to hold it down till dry. I used a towel and some weights to apply pressure. Not a single problem since. This has been discussed many times and this is the long term fix.