MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   Mercedes: Worst back up camera out there? (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/455774-mercedes-worst-back-up-camera-out-there.html)

hx_guy 07-13-2012 09:11 PM

Mercedes: Worst back up camera out there?

Is there is one thing that irks me about the E350, it's the backup camera.

Don't get me wrong, it's better than no camera for sure, but why did they go with a fisheye lens and why aren't there any guide lines like other cars have? I find it very hard to judge both the distance behind the car and the width of the car itself.

I don't think it would have been terribly difficult to have some guide lines on the screen, even if they don't move with the steering wheel like they do in an Audi.

http://www.audiq7tdi.com/wp-content/...ear-camera.jpg

Tjdehya 07-13-2012 09:15 PM

Real drivers take an initial glance at the backup camera then turn their heads. :zoom:

xolinlevh 07-13-2012 09:23 PM

Mercedes is WAY behind the times in the practical tech department, worst GPS ive ever used, worst interface, backup camera, all that....

listerone 07-13-2012 09:48 PM

MY BT is the first car I've owned with a backup camera.The camera,combined with the tilting passenger side mirror,does nicely for me.If others are even better that's great.Perhaps I haven't been "spoiled" by having owned any such vehicle.

_brent 07-13-2012 10:54 PM

I bought an Infiniti in 2005 (seven years ago!) that had a backup camera with guidelines that followed the steering and colour-coded distance markers. I was disappointed that my 2009 Jag didn't have them (although they've added them for 2012), and almost shocked to find that a 2012 MB didn't. BMW even has the 360-degree view on the 5-series now (which i first saw in an Infiniti three years ago).

-brent

BenzV12 07-14-2012 04:06 AM

Honestly, when I first saw the guidelines I found them very confusing then practical :crazy:
However, I have learnt how these lines work and help drivers park easily

I find my back up camera very useful , no guide lines but I can park my car between two cars easily w/o any problem and thanks to rear view , I can go as far back as I can find it proper . Normally, sensors only beep and you may wonder what's behind you but rear view assist can really show what's behind you and you can set your mind at ease when the sensors beep more than usual :y

I know MB may not have the best tech gadgets but overall very satisfying

hyperion667 07-14-2012 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Tjdehya (Post 5280745)
Real drivers take an initial glance at the backup camera then turn their heads. :zoom:

:slap:

thanx Dr Duh

BudC 07-14-2012 10:08 AM

I asked my wife about backing up our E550 and she said she just turns her head like she has always done. She doesn't use the camera (or the tilt-down mirror).

I drove a GLK for a week and liked the guidelines that it provided for the rear view camera. The E550 should have had them.

xolinlevh 07-14-2012 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by BudC (Post 5281223)
I asked my wife about backing up our E550 and she said she just turns her head like she has always done. She doesn't use the camera (or the tilt-down mirror).

I drove a GLK for a week and liked the guidelines that it provided for the rear view camera. The E550 should have had them.

Im surprised its not something that they can easily add via a software update to the car.

mnje350 07-14-2012 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by hx_guy (Post 5280738)
Is there is one thing that irks me about the E350, it's the backup camera.

Don't get me wrong, it's better than no camera for sure, but why did they go with a fisheye lens and why aren't there any guide lines like other cars have? I find it very hard to judge both the distance behind the car and the width of the car itself.

I don't think it would have been terribly difficult to have some guide lines on the screen, even if they don't move with the steering wheel like they do in an Audi.

http://www.audiq7tdi.com/wp-content/...ear-camera.jpg

Hmmm, yes there should probably be a full blown ranting, er i mean rating system on all of the camera offerings that are used on all the makes and models. Probably should do that on the position of the cruise control levers too.

Or.

You could test drive one and decide if it is something that bothers you so much you can't live with then you can decide not to buy one.

jvc300 07-14-2012 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by BudC (Post 5281223)

I've seen and tried the guidelines and they don't help much anyways. I'm just happy to know that the area is clear.
What's the big deal around guidelines? Bragging rights? :nix:

Decboy 07-14-2012 08:43 PM

My wife has the X5 with all the cool gadgets and the camera even has a top view. However, I get distracted with all the parking lines and top view that I actually park faster and more efficiently in my E350 using the standard camera.

But the top view is cool from the passenger point of view.

BenzV12 07-15-2012 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Decboy (Post 5281861)

But the top view is cool from the passenger point of view.

It should be when you are parking right over the edge and bikini girls sunbathing down at the beach :naughty: lol

RR also ( I mean Range Rover lol ) has a bunch of camera once Jeremy Clarkson run over his crew to show they were no longer necessity to the BBC :rolf:

WEBSRFR 07-15-2012 03:20 PM

Based on the other Mercedes drivers I know, Mercedes would go bankrupt if they built their cars for those you consider "real drivers." :p:

Seriously though I agree with the OP. The Mercedes backup camera is a joke. It's something you expected to be installed by a bunch of kids at the local Best Buy back in 2002.

With all the tight parking I have to do in the Washington DC area with very congested parking spots and garages I am constantly envious of friends with Audi and BMW parking cameras with integrated proximity warning systems. They are generations ahead of Mercedes.

K-A 07-15-2012 03:50 PM

I don't get the hoopla behind "guidlines". You guys really need lines to tell you where to go? Are we getting that dumbed down as drivers?

Speaking for myself, before I had the backup camera in the W212, I never though I needed one. Now, I feel like I can't live without it. In cars without it, I'm absolutely lost when I'm trying to reverse. What these things do is take away our abilities to use our brains and senses to their highest degrees, therefore they by definition, "dumb us down".

I'll take all the camera's, sure, and it sure has saved me some scuffs and time, but it's made me idiotically bad when it comes to reversing without it now.

On another note, with the super high belt lines of cars today, it's getting to the point where we need them, as rear windows are become non functional practically.

mnje350 07-15-2012 04:41 PM

I would have preferred the system that has the bumper mounted sensors with a graphic display in the car. I don't even know if that system is offered here in the US. I believe the parktronic operates differently. Regardless, in order to get the car with a different system, I would have had to order it rather than take advantage of end of model year discounts that the deler offered. But I knew what I was buying.

Now I leave the distronic turned on so it helps in the front and the camera helps in the back. It's the front and rear corners that I need the help of the sensors on. The camera, lines or no lines does not help much with that.

steph280 07-15-2012 04:59 PM

People complain about the picture quality of Porsche Cayenne/Panamera backup cameras over on the Porsche forums as well. The image quality IS pretty poor compared to the ones in Mercedes. But I mean come on, it's a backup camera! If you can see what's back there then it's doing its job. Can't expect it to park the car for you. For that you can get a Ford Focus which costs a lot less. :)

Our old 2004 Toyota Sienna came with backup camera back in 2003. Although it doesn't have the turning guide lines like modern ones, it has saved us many, many times. And we are able to parallel pack into a very tight spots where it wouldn't be possible without it. So in my opinion, as long as it shows a good indication of the distance relative to your rear bumper and object, it's worth having.

dfordham 07-15-2012 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by K-A (Post 5282657)
I don't get the hoopla behind "guidlines". You guys really need lines to tell you where to go? Are we getting that dumbed down as drivers?

I'm old enough to remember when such things as power steering, power brakes, automatic transmissions, etc were being introduced. The luddites of the time argued against those feature, saying: "real drivers didn't need that fluff." Many said you shouldn't even be able to get a driver's license using an automatic transmission.

These are all just features to, potentially, make a driver's life a little easier. You don't have to use them.

Regards,
Don

jvc300 07-16-2012 11:39 AM

Speaking for myself, before I had the backup camera in the W212, I never though I needed one. Now, I feel like I can't live without it. In cars without it, I'm absolutely lost when I'm trying to reverse. What these things do is take away our abilities to use our brains and senses to their highest degrees, therefore they by definition, "dumb us down".

I'll take all the camera's, sure, and it sure has saved me some scuffs and time, but it's made me idiotically bad when it comes to reversing without it now.

On another note, with the super high belt lines of cars today, it's getting to the point where we need them, as rear windows are become non functional practically.

++1....

YYZ-E55 07-16-2012 12:20 PM

Try driving the W166 for a bit (which has active guidelines) or any other rear view camera system with lines and you'll see. The usability is greatly increased.

I would've posted the same comment as you 2 months ago; not now though.

K-A 07-16-2012 09:46 PM

It's one of those things, "if you don't have it, you don't need it.... if you have it, you now need it".

I'm a big believer that all these creature comforts make us dumbed down, but hey, it makes life easier (don't have to apply ourselves so much in so many areas), so sign me up.... but I guess if I don't have it, and don't feel I need it, I don't really care for it.

If my W212 had guidlines, I'd probably be saying how not having them is unacceptable. Not sure which way is better. I love my rearview camera, but it's made me feel less confident without one when driving backwards.

El Cid 07-17-2012 03:48 PM

Test drove a Hyundai Genesis in 2010 and the backup camera with lines was much more functional first time I tried it. Still don't trust the camera in my E350.
Have a Toyota Tacoma that has a backup camera with the screen in rear view mirror. Conveneint for using both mirror and camera simultaneously, but real small screen.
View not really any better than the MB one.
Have learned: 1-absoulutly nothing to sides shows in either one; 2-when you see something in the screen,you're on top of it.

Ternosky 06-19-2014 02:03 PM

Please stay on message

Belittling drivers or discounting the need for guidelines doesn't address the issue.

I drive a 2012 E350 convertible while my wife has a 2012 M350 with guidelines on the backup screen. Rest assured her system is FAR superior to mine.

The only valid solution on this forum is a suggestion MB rectify the situation via a software or firmware upgrade. Best to all.

PeterUbers 06-19-2014 02:46 PM

I find the birds eye camera surround package perfect.

I have a g35x and i do agree it has a great camera system with active guidelines

The mdx has a great fish eye view that really let's you scan down both sides of the road perpendicular to u before moving backwards into it

All have their merits, none are perfect

eNNCity 06-19-2014 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Ternosky (Post 6078160)
Belittling drivers or discounting the need for guidelines doesn't address the issue.

I drive a 2012 E350 convertible while my wife has a 2012 M350 with guidelines on the backup screen. Rest assured her system is FAR superior to mine.

The only valid solution on this forum is a suggestion MB rectify the situation via a software or firmware upgrade. Best to all.

X2

It would be nice if the lines were available through a software/firmware update. I don't need the lines honestly, I make an effort to actually look behind me when backing up. It only annoys me that I have a 2013, the lines are offered on the 2014's, and they can't do anything about it.