MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   Most uncomfortable car ever. (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/463730-most-uncomfortable-car-ever.html)

Arrie 09-18-2012 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by MCF (Post 5363270)
Thanks, but I have adjusted the side bolsters out as far as they can go. Still just a tad too tight. This is actually one thing I noted the first time I sat in the car but didn't think it would be an issue.

Wow!

You adjust the side bolsters all the way out and it still is too tight?

Either your side bolsters don't adjust all the way out as they are supposed to do or you are a super fat person. NO OTHER OPTIONS WITH THIS, PERIOD!!!

Arrie 09-18-2012 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by MCF (Post 5363254)
It amazes me how personal some of you take criticisms to your CAR for God's sake. Give me a break. It's not like someone is criticism your wife or child. Seriously, some of you need to get a little more substance in your life. It's just a fn car people. Yes,Ii understand that some are passionate about their cars but seriously, the W212 is NOT the best car in the world. Look at all the cost cutting MB did from the W211 to the W212 to make it more affordable so more people would buy it. It is a mass production car and I see a dozen or more every couple days. It's a fine car but it's still just a mass produced car and it is not exclusive in any way. Now I want to thank the couple members that actually provided some useful advice and I will be the first to admit when I am idiot. After two years I had no idea (the manual gives no details) that the lower lumbar support with the multi contour seat existed. I never though that you would have to hold the down button until the upper support retracted, then release button and push it again to activate the lower support. Then u can adjust the lower support out more if you wish. THEN push the up button again to activate the middle lumbar support and then you can adjust it independent of the lower support. Who the hell would have thought lumbar support would have been so complicated. I guess I am just used to the simple mechanical support that moves up or down and then in and out in one position. I will mess with this setting more to see if I get more comfortable in the car. Unfortunately this won't help with my shirt getting wet even with AC on max because the side supports (which active restraint is off) just squeeze too tight preventing any circulation of air. Don't have ventilated seats, but others have said they don't do anything anyway.

Ventilated seat in my car works just fine.

norcal_cyclist 09-19-2012 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Arrie (Post 5363482)
Wow!

You adjust the side bolsters all the way out and it still is too tight?

Either your side bolsters don't adjust all the way out as they are supposed to do or you are a super fat person. NO OTHER OPTIONS WITH THIS, PERIOD!!!

You hit it on the head.... he's simply too big to fit. Maybe needs 2 seats like Southwest airlines. He's just not used to sitting in a seat that actually HOLDS YOU IN PLACE.... Fly into a coner in that overweight unsafe Tahoe and youre going to end up out the door or in the passenger seat.

WEBSRFR 09-19-2012 04:19 PM

OMG people it is just a car! What is up with all the insulting and piling on when someone has a problem or issue with a Mercedes design? It's not like someone insulted your child or religion...

My second car is a Volvo S80 and I rarely drive it these days but I drove it for an errand today and I instantly felt how much more comfortable and formfitting the seats are. There are some things Mercedes can improve on with the E class and IMHO the seats fall in that category. Of course some can disagree but hopefully we can agree to disagree respectfully with more civilized discourse.

FWIW if you have not done so, sit in a Volvo S80 when you have the opportunity. You might be surprised at how ergonomic and comfortable a driver's seat can be...

BM2BZ 09-19-2012 04:51 PM

ok, here is a pic for some of us who have a hard time to figure out the multi-contour seat. whoever has managed to adjust them properly or whoever still has questions, please chip in. ka, i think you can instruct us better with this pic, huh :D?

http://photos.ecarlist.com/3B/nv/S2/.../eV/Aw_640.jpg

BenzV12 09-19-2012 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by BM2BZ (Post 5364384)
ok, here is a pic for some of us who have a hard time to figure out the multi-contour seat. whoever has managed to adjust them properly or whoever still has questions, please chip in. ka, i think you can instruct us better with this pic, huh :D?

http://photos.ecarlist.com/3B/nv/S2/.../eV/Aw_640.jpg

Thanks again for your upload :y
I think getting down to basics of these buttons should be more difficult than flying an Airbus lol

These look more complex than geometrical formulas and Einstains equations but hey I like such things that boggle your mind ha ha :smash: :D :naughty:

MCF 09-19-2012 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by norcal_cyclist (Post 5363817)
You hit it on the head.... he's simply too big to fit. Maybe needs 2 seats like Southwest airlines. He's just not used to sitting in a seat that actually HOLDS YOU IN PLACE.... Fly into a coner in that overweight unsafe Tahoe and youre going to end up out the door or in the passenger seat.

6'4". 195lbs. Run and lift 4-5 times a week. Resting heart rate in the in the mid 50s. 40 years old. Haven't had it checked in a lon time but would say body fat is less than 10%. One last thing Arrie and NorCal. Go @@@@ yourself, or better yet each other.

MCF 09-19-2012 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by WEBSRFR (Post 5364348)
OMG people it is just a car! What is up with all the insulting and piling on when someone has a problem or issue with a Mercedes design? It's not like someone insulted your child or religion...

My second car is a Volvo S80 and I rarely drive it these days but I drove it for an errand today and I instantly felt how much more comfortable and formfitting the seats are. There are some things Mercedes can improve on with the E class and IMHO the seats fall in that category. Of course some can disagree but hopefully we can agree to disagree respectfully with more civilized discourse.

FWIW if you have not done so, sit in a Volvo S80 when you have the opportunity. You might be surprised at how ergonomic and comfortable a driver's seat can be...

Because the precious E is the most important thing in their lives. Pathetic.

hyperion667 09-19-2012 08:43 PM

??not sure where that's coming from.....
no one really made any insults that I could decipher.....:nix:
why are we pathetic?:rolleyes:

and we do know how to get the most out of our cars........
:y:nix:

norcal_cyclist 09-19-2012 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by MCF (Post 5364588)
6'4". 195lbs. Run and lift 4-5 times a week. Resting heart rate in the in the mid 50s. 40 years old. Haven't had it checked in a lon time but would say body fat is less than 10%. One last thing Arrie and NorCal. Go @@@@ yourself, or better yet each other.

No thanks - sorry to offend.... For a guy who hates his Mercedes you spend a lot of time here....

ttoE550 09-19-2012 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by MCF (Post 5364588)

I don't understand how this evolved into weight bashing. Definite non sequitur. People are different shapes.

Personally I love these seats. And I am overweight. But I cook far better than most pros, any extra pounds were acquired with the deepest pleasure of fine cuisine, not the usual tasteless crap skinny people seem to eat. My bolsters are slightly in. I do not sweat. In fact, this is the first car that I can drive for 6 or 8 hours without getting a stiff or wet back. I get out just as fresh as I got in.

But you know what? I like the look of LL Bean casual shirts. I keep friggin buying them. At the start of the day, they feel great. By the end, they fit funny, pulling in a weird way. And I swear that they do not breathe, so moisture accumulates and I feel self-conscious because of potential BO. My wife swears I do not smell, but I cannot imagine how. Yet the ratings on the shirts I buy are off the charts.

Maybe mb is your ll bean. It just doesn't fit. Luckily my misfits are cheaper! The weight bashing comments are self-retorting.

Karl901 09-19-2012 10:33 PM

Way to much if here!

GermanCars 09-19-2012 11:01 PM

I can relate about difficulty in finding a "Sweet Spot" with these adjustable seats. Every time I "put on" (climb into) my SL55 and start driving, I find myself fiddling with the damn seat controls. It's always the lower back/lumbar support. Yes I have back problems, but most other seats do not give me as much discomfort. My wife's E550 (without multi contour) aren't as frustrating as the SL but I do find myself adjusting them after a few minutes of driving. If the trip is long enough I will usually find comfort. I don't drive either one as primary transportation.......maybe my back would adjust to the car if I did.:nix:
Question, do the E212 mufti contour seats have a memory tied to the seat memory settings? I am convinced that the SL does not. After finding comfort and setting the seat memory, it seems to be right back to some middle-ground setting that is NOT comfortable next time I drive the car.

Case1906 09-20-2012 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by MCF (Post 5359468)
Have had our 2011 E350 Luxury with leather multi-contour seats and have finally admitted it is by far the most uncomfortable vehicle I have ever owned. I am 6'4" but have plenty of leg room and head room but the drivers seat just sux. Can never get enough lower back support and if it is anything over 80 degrees outside no matter what the AC is on my entire back is sweating within 10 minutes of driving the car. I am no where near fat either. Quite the opposite in fact. I would rather have my '96 Pontiac Trans Am back. Two Tahoes, a a Jeep Cherokee, a Trans AM and a 325Ci were all waaaaay more comfortable and my back never got soaked while driving. Oh, and none of them smelled like mildew every 9 months. Seriously thinking of a RX350 or X5 for the wife. She even admitted she can't get nearly as comfortable in the E350 as the 2002 325Ci. The E350 just isn't a very Comfortable car. I will take my 2007 Tahoe any day of the week. It may have a rattle or two but it smells clean and I don't sweat in it or have to continuously fiddle with the seat position. Haven't touched it in 6 years. In the E350 it is a constant tweaking of the seat during every drive over 20 minutes (which usually by that time my back is wet with sweat).

Maybe the sweaty back thing is the cause of the mildew smell or I'd replace the air filter. Do you have heated seats? Wonder if that could be the issue. In any event, I'm sorry you've had a bad experience and I would TRADE or SELL tomorrow if I felt that way about one of my cars. CarMax it, and enjoy the Tahoe or a new ride.....

I'm 5'10" and find my E350 to be comfortable as a DD and on trips.

Tomspo04 09-20-2012 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by WEBSRFR (Post 5364348)

I've test driven a few...completely agree; VERY COMFORTABLE and smooth riding, too!

Karl901 09-20-2012 09:25 PM

Volvo, give me a break.

hyperion667 09-21-2012 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Karl901 (Post 5366023)
Volvo, give me a break.

I agree with that sentiment.....but they're seats are very comfortable....:nix:

Karl901 09-21-2012 10:28 AM

You guys are screwing with my head, I just drove my son to the airport in his new BMW 550 XI. The seats were much more comfortable then the E550.

I do not own a sail boat, thus I will never get near a Volvo though.

dfordham 09-21-2012 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Karl901 (Post 5366023)
Volvo, give me a break.

Help me out here. I own a Volvo. If I shouldn't like it, please tell me why? :)

Regards,
Don

norcal_cyclist 09-21-2012 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by dfordham (Post 5366558)
Help me out here. I own a Volvo. If I shouldn't like it, please tell me why? :)

Regards,
Don

You'll ony get that from someone who's never driven one.... I think KPAX racing is fielding 2 of them. I met Randy Pobst at a Grand Am race a few years back. He's piloting one of them, had nothing but good things to say.

Karl901 09-21-2012 11:50 AM

I have no problem with Volvo, I just would not own one because they are stereo typed as LIB/Treehuggers/Blowboater/N.E. elite cars.

norcal_cyclist 09-21-2012 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Karl901 (Post 5366572)
I have no problem with Volvo, I just would not own one because they are stereo typed as LIB/Treehuggers/Blowboater/N.E. elite cars.

Who gives a rats ass about that? Form your own opinions... :wwf:

Karl901 09-21-2012 11:59 AM

Going back to AMG Threads where I belong.

Tomspo04 09-21-2012 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Karl901 (Post 5366572)

Weak! LOL... :crazy:

Hey, I like the Merc better, too....but, not because of anyone else’s perception or opinion.

TGIF :zoom:

norcal_cyclist 09-21-2012 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Karl901 (Post 5366586)
Going back to AMG Threads where I belong.

Awesome idea, best one I've heard all day.