MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   That's what you get in NC (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/465305-thats-what-you-get-nc.html)

Arrie 10-07-2012 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by ttoE550 (Post 5385081)
This is one potential horrible outcome of crossing the double yellow. More common is needing to cross to give a bicyclist the 3 feet space required by my state. If both laws were simultaneously enforced, it would be physically impossible to get out from behind a bicyclist. Indeed I often cross the double safely to improve the safety of pedestrians, to get around the mailman and illegally parked cars.

Actually it may be legal to cross the lines if you do it for reasons you just listed. It is just a totally different scenarion when you make a pass of a vehicle moving near the same speed as you. That can take hundreds of feet of road to do instead of 20 ft that you need for passing a stopped mail man.

Green E-300 DT 10-08-2012 12:00 AM

Ditto

Originally Posted by El Cid (Post 5377721)
Served on a city council once and had interesting discussions with police chief. They often gave reckless driving instead of speeding tickets because no points attached to reckless. Also does not go against your insurance.
BTW, in SC, the legislature has added a 110%+ "surcharge" to all tickets to finance government functions. So a $50 ticket is actually more than doubled by the time you pay it. Local governments and law enforcement get none of it - and very little of original fine as well.
BTW again. Radar and other devices are very sensitive and can easily identify the violator.
Bottom line though is - you broke the law. How many times have you broken it and got away with it?

:)

And I thought (mistakenly) that all such idiot individuals were out here in my 'neck-of-the-woods.' :crazy:

One cute trick they will do here when they don't like your slow speed
in the slowest lane is to illegally pass you on the shoulder. :smash:
And of course, when that does happen, the CHP is never around to witness it!

:D

DHG

El Cid 10-08-2012 10:02 AM

Actually lowest taxes in World

Originally Posted by norcal_cyclist (Post 5384780)
hype - welcome to America where our taxes are high but still do not satiate the never ending growth of bureaucracy. Once you get past the "did I do something wrong" part it all makes sense. The traffic police (those assigned to traffic duty) are a revenue generating organization, that's it and that's all. I had an accident where I was rear ended... no police showed up, no report taken. Why not? They haven't figured out a way to charge for it of course.. I'm not bitter just a realist. Forget whether it's about safety or legal compliance...

Actually the US has the lowest overall taxes of any industrialised nation in the world. Have to consider the actual taxes paid, not the mythical tax rates. Considering the total cost of law enforcement, tickets and fines generate no real revenue. "Bureaucracy" is actually getting smaller.

Green E-300 DT 10-08-2012 12:03 PM

Growth of Bureaucracy

Originally Posted by norcal_cyclist (Post 5384780)
hype - welcome to America where our taxes are high but still do not satiate the never ending growth of bureaucracy. Once you get past the "did I do something wrong" part, it all makes sense.
The traffic police (those assigned to traffic duty) are a revenue generating organization, that's it and that's all.
I had an accident where I was rear ended . . . no police showed up, no report taken. Why not? They haven't figured out a way to charge for it of course.. I'm not bitter, just a realist. Forget whether it's about safety or legal compliance . . .

:)

Considering your accident, were you injured? NO! You were not, for had you said you were when you reported the accident, an officer
would have been dispatched to the scene and a report would have been taken. You must know how to work the system!
Think about this: There are not enough officers to send one to each accident where there are no injuries given the fact that
there are so many idiot drivers. In other words, more fender-bender accidents than there are police officers to handle them.
Being a so-called realist, you may be able to fathom that.

Think about what would be happening if there were no 'traffic police (those assigned to traffic duty)'.
We have enough idiots driving crazy now. If there was no law enforcement on our roads at all, what would be happening then.
Have you driven in the Philippines? I have, and that country is a perfect example of what happens when there is no traffic enforcement.

We may not be perfect here, but I will take it over what goes on in other countries.
Even in Canada. I was there this summer and I could not believe what they are doing. There are red light cameras and speeding cameras everywhere.
A speed limit of only 100 kph (62.5 mph) on their Trans Canada Highway. Going into the next province, it drops to only 90 kph or 56.25 mph.
Can you believe? And it is against the law to have a radar detector!
But the heat has 'em and they can detect if you are using one. That's a big fat ticket (fine) unless
you are from down South and then they will tell you not to use yours and to put if away.

At least, we do not have that to contend with.

Be happy you are here in God's Country.

:D

DHG

ImInPA 10-08-2012 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by El Cid (Post 5385773)
Actually the US has the lowest overall taxes of any industrialised nation in the world. Have to consider the actual taxes paid, not the mythical tax rates. Considering the total cost of law enforcement, tickets and fines generate no real revenue. "Bureaucracy" is actually getting smaller.

+1. It always amazes me that the average American paid more in taxes than the Fortune 100, due largely to the "mythical" high taxes.

theunderlord 10-08-2012 01:40 PM

Points on your license? Man you east coast guys have it rough. :(

norcal_cyclist 10-10-2012 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by El Cid (Post 5385773)

You've no idea what I paid in taxes every year. Moreover I don't care what the tax rate is in other countries, I live in this one.

My objection is to my tax load to services ratio. Other than basic stuff, police, fire etc I have NEVER required anything with respect to govt services. However if did need something there's an associated fine, extra charge or fee that goes along with it.

Try running a business in California for a few years then come back and tell me bureaucracy is getting smaller.

hyperion667 10-10-2012 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by norcal_cyclist (Post 5388294)
You've no idea what I paid in taxes every year. Moreover I don't care what the tax rate is in other countries, I live in this one.

My objection is to my tax load to services ratio. Other than basic stuff, police, fire etc I have NEVER required anything with respect to govt services. However if did need something there's an associated fine, extra charge or fee that goes along with it.

Try running a business in California for a few years then come back and tell me bureaucracy is getting smaller.

so I guess you're not democrat:rolf::y

norcal_cyclist 10-10-2012 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by hyperion667 (Post 5388461)
so I guess you're not democrat:rolf::y

A Democrat is a Republican that hasn't been mugged yet ;)

I'm more of a centrist though...