E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Releasing brakes on slopes,

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 12:33 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2012 E350
Releasing brakes on slopes,

I have noticed an on going issue with my 2012 e350 when even on slight slopes, my car will move a LOT(a few inches at least) forward or backwards when I park the car, and suddenly jerk to a stop because of the brakes. It seems that the parking mechanism has a delay or something??

So my procedure is stop the car, press P, put on parking brakes(the pedal on the left), and then release the regular brakes so I can get out of the car. I know it is normal to have a little movement of the car if it is parked on a slope, but I feel that it is huge compared to other cars like my 2002 ML... I feel that it is enough to possibly hurt someone if they are really close to the car or put in a dent in my bumpers if it is too close to a wall or curb.

There were a few times when my friends and I was shocked that it moved that much. They even thought that I released the brakes accidently without putting into park.

Anybody have this issue about these huge movements when braking the car? I am thinking about checking it out with the dealership just in case but wanted to know if this is a common issue with the w212.. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-30-2012, 08:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 553 Likes on 376 Posts
2024 AMG EQE SUV , 2021 E63S Wagon - gone, 2018 E63S Sedan - gone
Insure that you've fully depressed the parking brake. The brake on my previous E550 had to be engaged with significant force in order to insure that it was fully engaged. What you're describing seems like the transmission parking pawl engagement is holding the car and not the brake. You also might have the dealer check the cable adjustment since these do stretch initially and need to be tightened up a bit.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:53 AM

2012 E350
Yea, it seems to me that it isnt the brakes that is holding my car as well because theres that sudden jerk to stop it. I also press the brakes as hard as I can, but still does this. Thanks for the info, I will try to get this mentioned to the dealer!
Old 12-01-2012, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 837 Likes on 606 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by alanme123
I have noticed an on going issue with my 2012 e350 when even on slight slopes, my car will move a LOT(a few inches at least) forward or backwards when I park the car, and suddenly jerk to a stop because of the brakes. It seems that the parking mechanism has a delay or something??

So my procedure is stop the car, press P, put on parking brakes(the pedal on the left), and then release the regular brakes so I can get out of the car. I know it is normal to have a little movement of the car if it is parked on a slope, but I feel that it is huge compared to other cars like my 2002 ML... I feel that it is enough to possibly hurt someone if they are really close to the car or put in a dent in my bumpers if it is too close to a wall or curb.

There were a few times when my friends and I was shocked that it moved that much. They even thought that I released the brakes accidently without putting into park.

Anybody have this issue about these huge movements when braking the car? I am thinking about checking it out with the dealership just in case but wanted to know if this is a common issue with the w212.. Thanks in advance!

When you put the car on P it always moves little on an incline just like you say your other car does but what you tell about your E350 doing sounds excessive. I would have it checked at the dealer.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 4Matic 2011
I do the reverse (somewhat), with my foot on the brake, engage the parking brake, very slowly ease up on the brake to make sure that the parking brake is in fact holding the car, then put the transmission into park. I find that I have to push the parking brake pretty hard in order to hold the car on a hill. Mine probably just needs an adjustment so that the parking brake holds sooner.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 4Matic 2011
To add to my previous reply if your car is moving backward when you let go off the foot brake then it means that the parking brake is not holding the car at all - the transmission is.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:46 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
2015, ML250 BlueTEC
Parking

Originally Posted by alanme123

Reverse your proceedure. 1st apply parking brake.2nd After parking brake is holding the car-THEN put into park.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:11 PM

2012 E350
Originally Posted by greasykid
Reverse your proceedure. 1st apply parking brake.2nd After parking brake is holding the car-THEN put into park.

Will try that when I get in my car next tim.e never thought of that actually.. Thanks for the info guys!