E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Changed tweeters in my W212

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
w212
I'd say that it's the best OEM speaker system that I've heard. Yes the bass can be flat, and at times I find myself bumping up the volume to get that deep bass to come out. The tweeter position is unfortunate and the material might not be that great. I get some weird sounds from them on certain songs.

I had the infinity kappa components in my last car, so I was a bit spoiled. I'm thinking the OEM HK setup will be sufficient for now but I sometimes wish that I had my kappa tweeters in the door instead of the HK ones in that stupid triangle.

Edit - and RNBRAD the metal matrix is typically a combination of ceramic and metallic. An aluminum matrix will serve to support the ceramic reinforcing material.

Last edited by aeroconfigs; 02-05-2013 at 11:12 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350
Infinity

In comparison to some of the other German cars, the HK is not bad at all, but i wouldn't go as far as saying its best system out there, because that is just wouldnt be quite accurate. I have heard great things about the Lexus stock Mark Levingston system but i have yet to hear a really good Stock stereo system. Infinity Kappas are very good speakers, Hertz HSK line is also very good , Diamond audio D971 is incredible if you can find one, Polk S6500 , i have heard great things about them as well, and finally I demo'd some German Maestros and wow

Not very well marketed but i must say in terms of clarity and sound they were amazing. The new Elite PG stuff is extremely clean as well. I will do a nice build next week im hoping it come out just amazing.

I say swap those nasty tweeters and put your Kappas out there use a nice Processor to TA everythign and you will be much happier.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:35 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
W211 E320 & W212 E550
Well like I say, not really sure what matrix they are using but doesn't matter. They just call it a "metal matrix"
with pure aluminum being used. http://www.automotive.harmankardon.c...talmatrix.aspx

German Maestro are the remaining members from the old MB-Quart company that come together and started another company. It's old school MB-Quart all over again. phenomenal stuff. Also check out PHD @ www.phd.it. Italian made.

Here's a link to some of the people from DIYMA, a couple chimed in on how my Benz sounded. Feel free to ask them any questions. These aren't teenage kids, they are guys with some long standing history in the car audio arena.
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...togethers.html
Old 02-05-2013, 11:45 PM

E350
HK

German Maestro is the old MB quart company. I am contemplating buying the M-line and doing a nice install, i do want a 3 way but that would require some intense customizing, which is what i was trying to stay away from. I'm getting the bug to do it though.

In terms of the HK system, im sure your car sounds fine, not tyring to critizise just making a point, the tweeters are off axis, theres one midrange in mine thats right smack in the middle, thats the only voice i have and then theres a flat response midbass in the doors. not ideal, i think any nice clean high end component system installed right would be superior than the money spent on the HK Logic 7 in our cars.

Just my opinion, all i know is that my car will be night and day after the stereo system gets done,intalled, tuned and timed aligned.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:08 AM

W211 E320 & W212 E550
FWIW the tweeters are pointed directly at your chest, so not much off axis. The only way to improve on this system, is to go all out. That means scrap the amp and all it's internal processing. Tap into the digital link and start fresh from there. Anything else is taking 3 steps back and trying to go forward from there. There's also too much internal processing to overcome if you try to keep the stock amp. Also don't forget the X/O freq and equalization ans some TA is preset in the amp. It will be a mess to try and conform any aftermarket speaker to all the set parameters. Anyway things to think about. Not that it can't be done but it will be a can of worms.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:15 AM

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
asdas
Originally Posted by RNBRAD
Well like I say, not really sure what matrix they are using but doesn't matter. They just call it a "metal matrix"
with pure aluminum being used. http://www.automotive.harmankardon.c...talmatrix.aspx
This link is what made me think that the metal matrix speakers are different than the alumaprene speakers that are on the newest e-class. It describes the metal matrix speaker, and then mentions how some cars use alumaprene speakers instead.

RNBRAD, I don't think there is a product out right now that would let you tap into the MOST link system on the W212. It's not a simple optical audio signal going to the amp. The mobridge apparently doesn't work with our cars. If you know of something that does work, I'd love to know. I've got a good stash of audio gear I could easily use.

If I were going to overhaul the system, I'd rather use a summing device like a ms8 or comparable device after the stock amplifier that can flatten the response curve and you can TA/EQ/XO adjust as much as you'd like.

Last edited by brauhaus313; 02-06-2013 at 06:20 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:35 AM

W211 E320 & W212 E550
Originally Posted by brauhaus313
This link is what made me think that the metal matrix speakers are different than the alumaprene speakers that are on the newest e-class. It describes the metal matrix speaker, and then mentions how some cars use alumaprene speakers instead.

RNBRAD, I don't think there is a product out right now that would let you tap into the MOST link system on the W212. It's not a simple optical audio signal going to the amp. The mobridge apparently doesn't work with our cars. If you know of something that does work, I'd love to know. I've got a good stash of audio gear I could easily use.

If I were going to overhaul the system, I'd rather use a summing device like a ms8 or comparable device after the stock amplifier that can flatten the response curve and you can TA/EQ/XO adjust as much as you'd like.
There may be some options but not sure. The MOST system is not a Benz proprietary design and pretty sure I've seen a company that makes a Toslink adapter for it. Im sure it can be done, just need an external 5 channel DAC with volume control. Mobridge will probably have something at some point. I just think tapping into the stock harman amp for audio signal is just nuckin futs. I've never been satisfied with sound quality by going that route.

Last edited by RNBRAD; 02-06-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:37 AM

E350 ml350
Originally Posted by RNBRAD
Good stuff!!! Most any and all tweeters will have an inline capacitor acting as a filter (1st order) 6db per octave. The cap rating is based on frequency start of attenuation and also speaker ohm rating come into play for that. It's just a fail safe really, added protection. The internal amp has the crossover built in, so in essence the system is all electronically crossed over or in other words "active" versus "passive", which is really the best way to go. Let me delve into what I've learned about this system over the past few months and share it with you all, not to jack the thread but help everyone understand what "we" have. Oh and check the link below and read about the Aurovox among the other stuff.

Last night I got together with some car audio equipment reps, installers, competitors from the DIYMA (do-it-yourself-mobile-audio) web site, about 20of us from my area of the state. Now mind you I didn't take my (retired) world class competition truck, I took my Benz. We spent hours listening to each others cars. They were highly highly impressed with my W212. I can't say enough about this car, how dead it is and the limited sound refraction in the interior. The funky plastic piece under the windshield does just that. That captures and cancels sound waves, creating a very pleasant sound experience. Only thing I'm going to do is deaden the doors a little. I get some reverb from the panels, but man those midbass drivers get after it. One guy thought I had 8'' drivers in the doors, lol. Also our cars are very "tuned" from Harmon Kardon. The Alumaprene drivers are exceptional. The amplifier is a very efficient class D output design with a built in sophisticated DSP (digital sound processor). The entire system is digital to the amp with the amp having DAC's (digital-to-analog-covertors) built in. This means no noise intoduced through analog cables. The system needs a few tweaks cause it is designed for the "masses" or target audience. Tweeters needed a little more sparkle and more subbass and this thing really comes alive. I just can't say enough about the platform. I just feel sorry for the aftermarket world, they are falling so far behind and they are struggling. Reason is because of systems like this. Anyway glad someone made the leap and I'm always around to help if and whenever needed. I haven't found anything I would change, at least today. You know how car audio guys are, always looking for something to change. I've just never been more satisifed with a system and really worried that any changes from this point could go the other way. Anyway maybe the OP could give us some details and post up some pics, that would be great!!! Just an FYI, the wire that has the capacitor, that's the positive wire from the amp. I messed that up somehow and was reverse phased. Easy to hear after it happens. Anyway rock on!!!

Oh also, if your experiencing a "big blob of sound", turn the flipping Logic 7 off. That is the worst piece of crap I have ever heard!!! It will totally trash the sound or any image whatsoever.

http://www.automotive.harmankardon.c.../discrete.aspx
As an ex audio competition guy from the glory days of Alpine and A/D/S......it was refreshing to read this post from RNBRAD......great write up and explanation of what I thought I was hearing. Really took me back and yes I must admit these oem systems have come a long ways. I still can't stand the Bose system in my wife's ML but this HK system isn't a half bad stock setup
Old 08-17-2014, 12:44 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
2015, ML250 BlueTEC
What do you think?

Have traded my W212 for a 2014 C350 Coupe. I like the oem HK sound in my coupe better than My EClass. Only plan to have deadner installed in both doors. Comments pls.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:35 PM

2008 RDX
Cool

Thank you everyone for the *detailed* posts. This is certainly helping me make some upcoming decisions on a purchase. I'm looking at a 2014 E350 w/ HK system and I have to say I was pretty impressed with it as a stock system. The other car I have narrowed my list down to is a 2015 Audi A6 Prestige w/ BOSE system.

Does anyone have experience or technical advice on the difference between these two? My plan is to go to the dealerships this week (they are next to each other, thankfully) and test them back to back with the same music and source. My initial impression is that the BOSE was just flat, but, admittedly, I didn't spend a lot of time tuning it and during my first test drives I was more concerned with driving dynamics (both cars are great, in different ways).

Thanks again for the detailed comments and analysis. It reminds me of 20 years ago when I was stripping apart my cars to put in Alpine or Kenwood head units and new speakers. I'm not inclined to do that with this next car though, LOL.

Bozman
2008 Acura RDX (current)
Old 08-17-2014, 06:05 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
2015, ML250 BlueTEC
HK vs BOSEF

Forum posts seem to prefer HK. I have had both. I agree.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
GLB 2023
Bose any audiophile will tell you bose is overpriced crap.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 834 Likes on 603 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
My experience is that the Bose system in the Audi Q7 that I had was superior compared to the HK system I have in my 2010 E550 and had in the 2011 E350. Especially the base makes the difference. Audi Bose had separate control for the sub and you could make the whole car rattle with it.

I don't know if the A6 now has this system but a few years ago I drove a rental A6 Avant that had it.

If audio quality is a deal breaker MB does not have a chance.
You will need to sit in the Audi and play with the system a bit to see what it can do.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:40 AM

2014 E350 Sport
I am happy with the stock HK system in my new 2014 E350.

Like anything source material is the biggest determining factor in how something will sound.

My old iPhone is connected to the media interface and my music sounds very good. I have had MB Quart speakers and Boston Acoustics separates in previous cars with JL Audio amps and JL Subs and while they may have sounded better, the additional cost, time and installation have me happy at this point with what I have.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:06 PM

Mercedes E350 sedan
Replacement Speakers

Hi forum, just joined sorry if my question might have been dealt with earlier. Own an E350 2010 model , I find the speakers very unimpressive, what types of speakers can i replace them with to avoid the hustle of needing a professional?
Thank you
Old 09-30-2014, 04:39 AM

2001 R170 SLK 230K, 2014 W212 E400 (Europe)
Originally Posted by Nuku
Hi forum, just joined sorry if my question might have been dealt with earlier. Own an E350 2010 model , I find the speakers very unimpressive, what types of speakers can i replace them with to avoid the hustle of needing a professional?
Thank you
Hi Nuku, I'm not sure about 2010 model but I've just replaced the original tweeters at my 2014 E400 (Europe) with Focal TNB tweeters. Though the sound did not became impressive but much-much better at the high-range. The reason I've chosen Focal TNB is that the replacement tweeter fits exactly into the original housing (please see the pictures attached). You just need to remove TNB from its housing (using the special tool supplied with the product) and click it into the original MB housing. Please don't forget to solder an audio-grade (or just nonpolar film) 4.7mF capacitor into one of the wires.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:16 AM

E-CLASS,AUDI A6,BMW 3 SERIES
Hey Im pretty much going off the topic but i really wanted to ask you something. I have normal speakers in my e class w212 as there are no hk speakers from mercedes in india for the e class. so i just ordered harman kardon tweeter cover [without speaker] as i just wanted to see the hk badging in my car. My question really is will my normal tweeter fit in the hk tweeter cover or not or are the tweeter fixed with the covers.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Sunnybhatia18
Hey Im pretty much going off the topic but i really wanted to ask you something. I have normal speakers in my e class w212 as there are no hk speakers from mercedes in india for the e class. so i just ordered harman kardon tweeter cover [without speaker] as i just wanted to see the hk badging in my car. My question really is will my normal tweeter fit in the hk tweeter cover or not or are the tweeter fixed with the covers.
I'd advise you to spend some $20+ on normal tweeters and replace the original. You'll hear the difference. Just select one that could fit into your HK housing: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...rs+car&_sop=15
(don't forget to install a simple capacitor filter, see my message above)
Old 03-04-2015, 01:37 AM

Hey thanks for replying so fast but i actually don't want to change my speakers as i think they are fine right now. Maybe a later addition will be good but right now i only wanted to know if my normal mercedes tweeter which is standard in my car will fit the harmankardon tweeter cover or not. Thanks.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Sunnybhatia18
Hey thanks for replying so fast but i actually don't want to change my speakers as i think they are fine right now. Maybe a later addition will be good but right now i only wanted to know if my normal mercedes tweeter which is standard in my car will fit the harmankardon tweeter cover or not. Thanks.
Should fit. Visually, it's the same piece of s*$%*t under HK cover as under the regular one.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:34 PM

Hey there everyone. I have just purchased B&O tweeters for my e class w212 (facelift) as i really admire the look of the tweeters. I have standard speakers in my car right now. I just wanted to know if i could just swap the tweeter with the B&O tweeter or not.

Last edited by Sunnybhatia18; 05-18-2016 at 03:36 PM.