Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 11:32 AM

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts
'12 E550, '10 ML350, '06 E350, '20 GLC300, '21 GLC300
Originally Posted by mleskovar
Quote:

Originally Posted by no_mulligan

Are you still sticking with 0.5% of 2010/2011 E550 owners have pulsating/judder/whatever your call it problem?...

Actually I believe that is what MB is sticking with and they have the data.....don't they? If you believe you are going to trump MB's data you're mistaken. For a tech to spit out those stats you know he was quoting corporate. It rolled off his tongue too quickly.

Quote:

...By the way, I found another poster (tg4e) that just replaced the brakes because of "pulsations" on a 2011 E550. ...

What a coincidence, so did I!!!! He's on the "other" forum who started a thread "warped disk brakes". You could add him. Interesting statement in his thread starter...." I've always had this problem with all my cars. I know I stop hard and fast, so I've just grown accustomed to having to replace my rotors more frequently. However, it seems worse in the CPO 2010 E550 I purchased in December." Sounds like we can both cite him He even thanked me for my suggestion to bed his brakes. Go figure.

Quote:

...What are you saying about the 30+ posters that have complained????These complaints aren't second hand. Some are truly upset. The evidence/data is their testimony. You don't believe them? Why? You think they are liars?

I'm not saying these people are making up stories about failures, I'm sure they have better things to do and I've also been in their shoes with dealers. You have pads and rotors being replaced and documented so that's hard evidence of failure. I guarantee you "warped rotors" is classified by MB as customer caused. Doubt it? Which part is the culprit, if not both, is irrelevant to the fact that there was a failure and both are replaced anyway yet they specify rotors. The anecdotal part you have to overcome is the why. If the customer pays to have it replaced it's because they caused it. If MB replaces it for free/warranty it's because MB is promoting good will. And they have the work order/evidence to prove why. You can't win. You're saying it's because the parts were either defective or designed wrong and MB is saying it's neither, but a customer failure and we're just being nice when we do it gratis. Of course the customer says "I drive normal and under normal conditions". Their why is anecdotal but MB can show evidence that 99.5% success rate with the part is sufficient to say .5% of the failure is the user's fault by....take your pick...A riding the brakes B late braking C adverse conditions. "It's a common problem in the industry." Your evidence/data is anecdotal and MB's is not. That's what I'm saying. Wrong?
I believe you are wrong by accepting what you heard from a MB Tech in physical therapy session. I don't accept it based on what I've read here from people with real experiences. The numbers don't add up even remotely. You fail to weigh the messages from 30+ people versus 1 tech (that could be walking company line). Their claims are not anecdotal. Any claims that purports to solve it might be. That's why I'm giving you a hard time. You say MB can show this or that and has the evidence. Don't hide behind that. That's like saying the government can show you aliens. Nobody is going to, are they? So, you go around and say things contrary to these testimonies and expect what? All of us to drink that Kool-Aid.

Posted from Mbworld.org App for Android
Old 04-25-2013, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by ImInPA
If all 30 of the owners that have reported rotor issues with the E550 were lumped in with the 10's of thousands of E550 owners that do not have any issues, I would think the percentage of actual problems would be very very small.
US sales of E-Class number 62,736 (PRNewswire 1/3/2013) in 2011. If 1 in 20 are 550, that's only 3136 in the USA. Where do people get the notion that there are so many 550 out there?? As I've said,okay to accept facts but verify.

So, doing the math, we have 1% here. Can you imagine those not here? The number goes which way? I'd bet on Up!

Old 04-25-2013, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
Unless more of the 3K plus owners of E550s become members, we will never know. I hope that if it truly is a defect in materials that MB be finally acknowledge it and provide a permanent fix for the E550 owners.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:44 PM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
18'Porsche GT3, 16' Ram 3500 mega diesel,30' Model A Ratrod, 17' E43
OMG, this post is still going on, with the same answers??? I have excepted my junk *** rotors for the fact that(I am single with no kids, and have a lot of fun), when I have a large breasted chick in my car(typically every Thurs,Fri, Sat Nights, Sunday Days), I can late brake at speed and the car wobbles so bad that I just stair at the passenger until I come to a complete stop. Then I do it all over again..... God Bless the great plastic surgeons out there, your the best..Silicone is Great/Strippers rule..lol
Old 04-25-2013, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by Helmar

From 60mph, gently apply the brakes a couple of times to bring them up to operating temperature. This prevents you from thermally shocking the rotors and pads in the next steps.

Make eight to ten near-stops from 60mph to about 10-15 mph. Do it HARD by pressing the brakes firmly, but do not lock the wheels or engage ABS. At the end of each slowdown, immediately accelerate back to 60mph and then apply the brakes again. DO NOT COME TO A COMPLETE STOP! If you stop completely and sit with your foot on the brake pedal, you will imprint pad material onto the hot rotors, which could lead to vibration and uneven braking.

The brakes may begin to fade after the 7th or 8th near-stop. This fade will stabilize, but not completely go away until the brakes have fully cooled. A strong smell from the brakes, and even some smoke, is normal.

After the last near-stop, accelerate back up to speed and cruise for a while, using the brakes as little as possible. The brakes need only a few minutes to cool down. Try not to become trapped in traffic or come to a complete stop while the brakes are still very hot.
Yes I think doing the cool down process while driving is more beneficial than doing it stopped as well. Enjoy your new car.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
I think this issue should be resolved in Thunder Dome. Two shall enter. One shall leave.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:11 PM

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury 4Matic
Originally Posted by RobbieRob
OMG, this post is still going on, with the same answers??? I have excepted my junk *** rotors for the fact that(I am single with no kids, and have a lot of fun), when I have a large breasted chick in my car(typically every Thurs,Fri, Sat Nights, Sunday Days), I can late brake at speed and the car wobbles so bad that I just stair at the passenger until I come to a complete stop. Then I do it all over again..... God Bless the great plastic surgeons out there, your the best..Silicone is Great/Strippers rule..lol
That's a lot of CHICKen. Is it the Kentucky Fried strips you like or the Popeye's? Glad you are enjoying life!
Old 04-25-2013, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by ImInPA
Unless more of the 3K plus owners of E550s become members, we will never know. I hope that if it truly is a defect in materials that MB be finally acknowledge it and provide a permanent fix for the E550 owners.
Right on!

Old 04-25-2013, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Arrie
About the brake pad material, I don't think it has been legal to use asbestos containing brake components in the U.S. for the past 20 years or so. Everything for sure now is non-asbestos.

The layer on the rotor. Are you sure you are not scraping a thick dust layer on the rotors with your screw driver? This would be the same dust that covers the rims and makes everything on the front wheels look so dirty.

If it is the dust it has nothing to do with bedding that has been discussed. If this layer would be strong enough for the pad to ride on it then the rotor surface under this scraped pad material would be as new. Was it? I seriously doubt it was. But if it was then Infiniti has invented a brake system that wears only pads while rotors last forever.

I think you can find the same layer of dust on the MB rotors, the very same dust layer that dirties the wheels so bad you yourself decided to replace the pads with better material just like I did. And it seems all the customers here with the warped rotor problems run with the original components, i.e. With the dust layer on rotors and they still warp.
You're right, Asbestos brake pads have been outlawed in the US since the 80's. however, the NAO designation, I believe, is just the official term for them.

As for the coating, it is not the same as the dust on the rotors. You can not simply wipe it away with your finger. It does not transfer to anything. As a matter of fact, it doesn't even make your finger dirty.

The material can be scraped away, however, it takes a somewhat sharp object, like the edge of my pocket screwdriver to scrape it away.

And for what it's worth, Infiniti's do not dust anywhere nearly as bad as MB's or BMW's do.
They all do it to some extent but I'm surprised you can scrape any pad material off at all. It's an extremely thin layer of material mixed in with the rotor surface. I would think that if it were thick enough to scrape off then something is wrong.
There is nothing wrong with the brakes. I've actually looked at probably 20 cars with the OE pad and the rotors all look the same. They're not the color of bare metal, they're not blue either, they're more of a black color (same as the pad material).
And while the layer is not thick by any means, it can be scraped away.
OE rotors are so hard that I can't even make a scrape line on a new/freshly cut rotor with my screwdriver at all (the metal of the rotor is harder than that of my screwdriver).
I'll take some pics tomorrow when I have a wheel off.

I found that the higher performance pads that dust less also fade less but take more pedal pressure and don't "bite" as well. They also require warm up and I agree a bit noisier. My last Benz dusted so bad it was worth the trade off. This one doesn't but I also drive less and almost never in rush hour freeway traffic that really abuses brakes. The really positive side to more aggressive pads is they're usually rotor friendly and seem to last forever going 4 -5 times more distance than the OEM pads.
The semi-metallic pads do take longer to get to operating temp, however, once they achieve it, it seems as though they bite harder, almost to the point of being grabby.

And for my car, it was definitely worth the trade off. The OE MB pads dusted SO badly, I could barely stand it anymore. Even though I probably had about 5mm left on my front pads, I replaced them anyway.

Definitely a lot louder than the OE pad, although, I wouldn't say they're overly loud. More audible when braking from higher speeds for sure. However, since the MB dealer did such a crappy job on my alignment, the front tires have feathered on the outer edges (toed in too far), that they're almost choppy and since have gotten somewhat loud. I tried to get the dealer to fix this, and even told them to toe it out more, they didn't. Took it back there 5 times and they still didn't get it right. Probably because the rear tie rod was worn out and bent. Even though I asked them to shake it down, they didn't. The Rt. RR. wheel could be moved in and out almost 1". Now they don't want to make it right. Guess, I'm going to have to take them to court. And because I have to do all of that, they're going to buy me two new tires and give me my money back for the stupid bolt kit I didn't need in the first place.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350 BT
Originally Posted by BlackOmega

There is nothing wrong with the brakes. I've actually looked at probably 20 cars with the OE pad and the rotors all look the same. They're not the color of bare metal, they're not blue either, they're more of a black color (same as the pad material).
And while the layer is not thick by any means, it can be scraped away.
OE rotors are so hard that I can't even make a scrape line on a new/freshly cut rotor with my screwdriver at all (the metal of the rotor is harder than that of my screwdriver).
I'll take some pics tomorrow when I have a wheel off.
Much appreciated you taking the time
Old 04-25-2013, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
I believe you are wrong by accepting what you heard from a MB Tech in physical therapy session. I don't accept it based on what I've read here from people with real experiences. The numbers don't add up even remotely. You fail to weigh the messages from 30+ people versus 1 tech (that could be walking company line). Their claims are not anecdotal. Any claims that purports to solve it might be. That's why I'm giving you a hard time. You say MB can show this or that and has the evidence. Don't hide behind that. That's like saying the government can show you aliens. Nobody is going to, are they? So, you go around and say things contrary to these testimonies and expect what? All of us to drink that Kool-Aid. ...
Glad this thread has diverged into a semblance of civility I am pretty sure the tech was giving party line and where he told me is irrelevant, he's still a tech. As well, I don't think he attached that failure just to the MYs in question. The major point that I was making is that it's a recognized problem by MB and they believe it's driver specific, and not big enough to address and they've come up with stats to back their claim. And I agree with you. You can drown in a river that averages 5 inches of water.

US sales of E-Class number 62,736 (PRNewswire 1/3/2013) in 2011. If 1 in 20 are 550, that's only 3136 in the USA. Where do people get the notion that there are so many 550 out there?? As I've said,okay to accept facts but verify. So, doing the math, we have 1% here. Can you imagine those not here? The number goes which way? I'd bet on Up! ...
"If" 1 in 20? So let's take a different approach and extrapolate a bit. I agree that just from the small sample you've made it's a heck of a lot more than .5% for the MYs in question. Less say 30 times that or 15% for those MYs and double the number of cars to include MY 2010 (a guess). MB is not going to make an engineering change for less than two thousand failures that isn't mandatory by law when a fix, however temporary, is available. That's 'noise' as you put it to them. One could argue it's a safety defect but the retort would be "they had a known malfunction and continued to drive the car". To get back on track to the original post......without using the "B" word....brake pads and "discs"(their word) are specifically called out as only covered for 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever comes first. The only recourse you have is to appeal to the dealers for fair compensation for what you consider extraordinary failures. If they run true to course they'll give you an extraordinary 'deal' on a new car and you'll both be happy.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:53 PM

Glad this thread has diverged into a semblance of civility I am pretty sure the tech was giving party line and where he told me is irrelevant, he's still a tech. As well, I don't think he attached that failure just to the MYs in question. The major point that I was making is that it's a recognized problem by MB and they believe it's driver specific, and not big enough to address and they've come up with stats to back their claim. And I agree with you. You can drown in a river that averages 5 inches of water.

"If" 1 in 20? So let's take a different approach and extrapolate a bit. I agree that just from the small sample you've made it's a heck of a lot more than .5% for the MYs in question. Less say 30 times that or 15% for those MYs and double the number of cars to include MY 2010 (a guess). MB is not going to make an engineering change for less than two thousand failures that isn't mandatory by law when a fix, however temporary, is available. That's 'noise' as you put it to them. One could argue it's a safety defect but the retort would be "they had a known malfunction and continued to drive the car". To get back on track to the original post......without using the "B" word....brake pads and "discs"(their word) are specifically called out as only covered for 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever comes first. The only recourse you have is to appeal to the dealers for fair compensation for what you consider extraordinary failures. If they run true to course they'll give you an extraordinary 'deal' on a new car and you'll both be happy.
I can't believe what I'm about to say. We are on the same page! Your statements are not only plausible but reasonable.
I had SBC brakes with my 2006 E350. That system could fail anytime anywhere without warning. Nobody was killed but many were at the very least scared. All MB did was extend warranty to 10 years on the system. That's it. I'm sure it was a business decision.
It didn't poison MB for me as I didn't expect any other manufacturer to do much better.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
...I had SBC brakes with my 2006 E350. That system could fail anytime anywhere without warning. Nobody was killed but many were at the very least scared. All MB did was extend warranty to 10 years on the system. That's it. I'm sure it was a business decision....
SBC was a hot button for me and I even wrote a letter to MB corporate complaining about it. Great idea. Poor implementation. I think the current system offers the same capabilities but with less complexity and more reliability.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:41 PM

2000 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by thekurgan
Much appreciated you taking the time
No worries.

Ok, it seems it's a lot harder than it should be to take a pic of a rotor in a shop with lots of light pollution. However, I managed to get one good one that shows the pad material "smeared" on the rotor. Right next to it, is where I scraped away some of the material. For some reason, the reflection of it looks like metal. Possibly some of my pocket screwdrivers metal came off on it. But there is a black residue that I scraped off as well that appears to be the pad material. However, that is the color of the rotor in the center where I scraped away the bedded pad material.

Without further ado:

If you look closely at the lines that follow the rotor, you'll see little specs of pad material. This rotor was actually not as coated as most of the rotors typically are.

If you guys want a higher resolution pic, I can upload it as well. I resized this one.
Attached Thumbnails 2012 E550 - Warped rotars for the SECOND TIME-scraped-rotor.jpg  
Old 04-29-2013, 08:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350 BT
Still appears to be a nice, even distribution of material on the rotor. That's a good shot without a macro lens. Thanks.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
Still appears to be a nice, even distribution of material on the rotor. That's a good shot without a macro lens. Thanks.
Yes, I think the pad material you're scraping off is coming from what's in the grooves on the disc. Not uncommon to have grooves.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
Interesting....this is for the E350 but relevant to this thread... Service Bulletin
"LI42.10-P-054524 SEPT12 – 212.072/090/272 front brake vibration. Thickness fault on brake disk replace pads and disks." Since it doesn't assign a fault to me that means it accepts all faults.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:59 PM

2000 E55 AMG
No worries. ( I actually took the pic with my old phone).

The material was heavier in spots than in others. Oddly enough, this is one of the "lightest" (color wise) rotors that I have seen. They're usually a bit more uniform in coloring throughout the face of the friction surface.
Yes, I think the pad material you're scraping off is coming from what's in the grooves on the disc. Not uncommon to have grooves.
This rotor is not grooved. If you look at the area where I scraped, it's flat. The lighter and darker spots are pad material saturation and various shades of that coloration.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
18K and I have the warped rotors.. for those keeping score.

The pads look fine and there is no lip on the rotors or worn sign..

uneven color on the rotor yes...

around town is not bad.. on the freeway you can really when applying force. Going to the aftermarket generic brands.

Does anybody know if we can use rotors from the CLS or SL 550?
Old 05-22-2013, 10:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
E550 2010
2010 E550 I'm on my 3rd set of front rotors and the unsmoothness or 'warped' rotors is coming back.
Bedding, not clamping down on hot rotors -- I've done or avoided all these things and they keep 'warping'. I'm at 80,000 miles

I'm angry at the expense and inconvenience of this. I suspect its the OEM non brake dust producing quiet brake pads. I'm having the dealer inspect the brakes next week. If they tell me I need new rotors and brakes, that's it! I'm putting on non OEM rotors and brake pads on myself.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
Originally Posted by MagicJack
2010 E550 I'm on my 3rd set of front rotors and the unsmoothness or 'warped' rotors is coming back.
Bedding, not clamping down on hot rotors -- I've done or avoided all these things and they keep 'warping'. I'm at 80,000 miles

I'm angry at the expense and inconvenience of this. I suspect its the OEM non brake dust producing quiet brake pads. I'm having the dealer inspect the brakes next week. If they tell me I need new rotors and brakes, that's it! I'm putting on non OEM rotors and brake pads on myself.
That is what I would do.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
E550
Originally Posted by MagicJack

The last time they replaced the rotors, what part numbers did they use for the rotors? --- wondering if they used the new parts.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
E550 2010
The dealer replaced the front rotors and brake pads under warranty.
I'm now on my 4th set of front rotors if you can believe it!

Any recommendations for non-OEM brake pads? I saw references to Porterfield R4S racing pads on the AMG fourm. I think it'd be a waste on my all-season tires though.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:32 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts
CLS550
End your frustration, check us out RacingBrake has a complete brake solution for your MB with a performance improvement guarantee:

http://www.racingbrake.com/category-s/7136.htm
Old 06-08-2013, 09:31 AM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
15 AMG S63 4-matic coupe
Since I'm hunting for a CPO E550, I've been looking at a lot of carfax reports.
I have noticed a significant number of vehicles with rotors replaced and a surprising amount with rotors replaced numerous times.

I did speak with my service guy at the dealer about using MY'12 E550 rotors and calipers.
Apparently it would be feasible with new backer plate.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2012 E550 - Warped rotars for the SECOND TIME