MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   Weird/loud sound when shifting gears? (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/490411-weird-loud-sound-when-shifting-gears.html)

alanme123 03-01-2013 11:27 PM

Weird/loud sound when shifting gears?

Hey guys, so this has been pretty noticable lately. Whenever I shift my gear, like into park or into D, as long as it changes, it makes the sound in the video link I posted. Sorry for the loud background noise, I took this from my phone. But you can hear the sound that it makes. Does anybody also have this on their w212?? If it's just me I think I will take it to my dealer.

Live Oak 03-02-2013 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by alanme123 (Post 5563667)
Hey guys, so this has been pretty noticable lately. Whenever I shift my gear, like into park or into D, as long as it changes, it makes the sound in the video link I posted. Sorry for the loud background noise, I took this from my phone. But you can hear the sound that it makes. Does anybody also have this on their w212?? If it's just me I think I will take it to my dealer.

Going into or out of Park, a "clunk" is pretty common. I suspect it's the Park pawl operating.

BenzV12 03-02-2013 05:26 AM

I hear a grinding noise but not always . There is no link in your message , I would like to hear it to compare to mine as well

alanme123 03-02-2013 10:00 PM

Did not realize that I did not put the link up.. stupid me.

Here it is:

K-A 03-02-2013 11:28 PM

Has it gotten worse? It's unfortunately "normal", and it's related to the way they have the column shifter mechanism set up.

I always hated that screech/clunk sound. If you're in a parking lot and you hear it somewhere around you, you know it's an M-B.... maybe not the best sound to be associated with, but its patented instant recognition, lol. :D

Live Oak 03-03-2013 12:42 AM

Yeah, it's the Park pawl.

alanme123 03-03-2013 12:51 AM

I actually dont know if its gotten worse.. Maybe its just because I had my windows rolled down when I switched gears. Probably nothing, but if it gets worse I'll be sure to take it in. Thanks for the help guys, just wanted to see if you guys had the noise too.

Sirthony 03-03-2013 02:13 AM

i have a friend that has a 2010 e300 and it was doing this also, very loud... she got it back today from the shop she told them what was happening and the noise is much lower now then before. I dont know what they did to it because she didnt ask but i hope that help in some way.

BenzV12 03-03-2013 06:00 AM

Yup, a very similar noise to mine and when I use foot brake I hear a grinding noise too.
I don't complain about it , however, I would like to hear whether W221 S Class Owners hear a similar sound too .Because they also use same shifter , same tranny , parking brake

UnderCoverNinja 01-06-2015 09:22 PM

I have the same issue, my service is coming up for my 14 E350 and i was going to bring that up to my service tech. After finding this topic i guess its common

Sunnybhatia18 02-21-2015 11:43 AM

Hey i have the same sound coming from my car today when i shift from p to d or from p to r even when i shift it from p to n the sound comes. My car is just 4 months old, its a brand new facelift e class and has only done 1500 kms. I drive it almost everyday and have noticed this sound today only. Has anyone found an answer to this problem. Its really Annoying. Should i be worried.

wanderfalke 02-21-2015 11:54 AM

Are you parked on a level area when you hear the noise?

Sunnybhatia18 02-21-2015 12:38 PM

Yes my car is always parked in my driveway which is a flat surface. Now that you have mentioned about the steep surface, i was reversing my car about 10 days ago on steep surface and heard the same sound that comes now from the car when i put it in d or r from p now. I didn't pay attention to it that time as i thought it was a common thing. Its the exact same sound as the video posted above.

RezG 03-04-2015 10:35 AM

Same problem here! Ill bring it up at the next service but come on people I'm sure someone has already figured this problem out? It seems like a common problem!

wanderfalke 03-04-2015 12:14 PM

Mine does not do this .

Sunnybhatia18 03-04-2015 02:37 PM

I actually went to my dealer a week back and found out that all the cars which have steering mounted gear will make this sound as it has a motor behind which is shifting and thus making this sound. I also checked it in some other e classes standing over there and all of them had the same sound while shifting gears. This is not a problem. They also told me that all the e classes that have normal gears [non - steering] do not make this sound.

starbrite 03-07-2015 03:35 PM

Excuse my ignorance, but are you folks saying the paddle shifters are doing this, but not the console shifter ?

gaazmon 08-29-2017 12:38 AM

I know the thread is old, but did anyone find a solution? I took in our 14 E350 and they replaced the transmission mount, but the sound persists. We have the column mounted shift unit on our 09 S550 and it is much quieter. You can still hear it, but it's much more subtle.

bharakm 04-04-2018 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by gaazmon (Post 7251671)
I know the thread is old, but did anyone find a solution? I took in our 14 E350 and they replaced the transmission mount, but the sound persists. We have the column mounted shift unit on our 09 S550 and it is much quieter. You can still hear it, but it's much more subtle.

Did your problem got solved. My car is making exact same noise. When I took it to dealer they said we have observed similar noise for brand new cars too and cannot do anything about this. My car is recently bought certified 2016 with less that 18k miles and pretty disappointed with Mercedes. I should have gone for other brand cars.

gaazmon 04-05-2018 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by bharakm (Post 7421913)
Did your problem got solved. My car is making exact same noise. When I took it to dealer they said we have observed similar noise for brand new cars too and cannot do anything about this. My car is recently bought certified 2016 with less that 18k miles and pretty disappointed with Mercedes. I should have gone for other brand cars.

They never resolved it. Said its normal :confused: This along with the steering wheel clunk when lowering have not been resolved. Also, get a weird thunk sound from the rear passenger / trunk area after I unlock the doors after its been sitting for some time (still no solution).