MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   NO camera image in Reverse (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/497565-no-camera-image-reverse.html)

mbuster25 04-30-2013 03:50 PM

NO camera image in Reverse

1 Attachment(s)
I have a problem with no image being displayed with backup camera. It is set to display an image during Reverse in the menu. When engaging the car into Reverse, their is no picture from the camera, just shows up black with the overlay message as seen in the picture. The car never did this prior to the last maintenance update where dealer updated the command system so I could stream bluetooth. As such, I'm wondering if it's related to command software.

The first two times this happened, I thought it was a fluke, so I reset the system (losing all my settings). Problem went away, fixed for good I thought but resurfaced today.

I was not able to see anything pulling out the garage, then 50 min later, without shutting the car off, I engaged the Reverse in a parking lot, and saw an image. I'm wondering if it could be a loose connection somewhere. :confused:

I never thought the camera was much use, but now that I can't see ANYTHING from the camera, I miss it!

Raymond Lee 04-30-2013 05:37 PM

It is not uncommon. Just go into setup mode and recheck backup camera setup to display check mark. Maybe you might want to reset it again. It will come back. Don't worry!

Arrie 04-30-2013 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by mbuster25 (Post 5631576)
I have a problem with no image being displayed with backup camera. It is set to display an image during Reverse in the menu. When engaging the car into Reverse, their is no picture from the camera, just shows up black with the overlay message as seen in the picture. The car never did this prior to the last maintenance update where dealer updated the command system so I could stream bluetooth. As such, I'm wondering if it's related to command software.

The first two times this happened, I thought it was a fluke, so I reset the system (losing all my settings). Problem went away, fixed for good I thought but resurfaced today.

I was not able to see anything pulling out the garage, then 50 min later, without shutting the car off, I engaged the Reverse in a parking lot, and saw an image. I'm wondering if it could be a loose connection somewhere. :confused:

I never thought the camera was much use, but now that I can't see ANYTHING from the camera, I miss it!

Sounds like a loose camera wire to me.

ttoE550 04-30-2013 06:03 PM

Did you remember to take the lens cap off? Joke, but seriously check to see if something might be obstructing the camera's lens.

It sounds software related to me since it happened after the update and it goes away, albeit briefly, after reset.

One thing I am sure of is that the update changes the order of the booting of various components. When I first got my car, the phone would pair almost immediately, but the camera took a long time to boot. I could be almost out of the garage before I got a picture. IIRC, the picture was blank, just like yours.

After my update, the camera is ready almost immediately, and the phone is ready sometime later, about 30 seconds or so.

So, it could be that your camera is not ready when you are. This might be because the camera is slow to boot, or maybe some other part of COMAND is somehow hanging or is slow. I don't really know what to suggest, other than to sometime leave the car in reverse for a while and see if the camera eventually comes on. That is why it might work after you have been driving around a while.

Of course, a loose wire is always a possibility...

mbuster25 04-30-2013 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Raymond Lee (Post 5631672)
It is not uncommon. Just go into setup mode and recheck backup camera setup to display check mark. Maybe you might want to reset it again. It will come back. Don't worry!

It's definitely checked off in "Activate by R gear"

mbuster25 04-30-2013 06:57 PM

Thanks for the responses guys.

I think Arrie may be right that it may be loose wire. I couldn't reproduce the problem later this afternoon and evening on the drive home. It's not often that I would want to be reverse, and it's not like I can just leave the camera engaged in Drive. I'll start maintaining a log.

ttoE550, this is very plausible. I noticed that the system when resetting when I forced it, takes quite a while to reset before all functions are available. If its not displaying because it's busy, that is disappointing. As I'm in a garage and start the car, backing up is usually one of the first things I do, as I don't want to idle the car in the garage with all those fumes.

Mercedes, if you are following this thread, put some more processing power in your cars!!

GermanCars 04-30-2013 09:23 PM

Not likely to be a loose wire. We have discussed this on other threads. The update you got was probably done about three/four months ago or was done with update discs about that age. They now have an update-for-the update disc set that should correct the issue with the camera. It should also take care of another common issue after the update, that of having no sound at start-up and a "no device available" (or something similar) warning coming up on the command display.
Just go back dealer and tell them of your compliant(s) and ask for another update using the latest discs.

TH22 05-01-2013 08:44 AM

Next time your at the dealer have them update the software. I had the same problem. I was told it was a software issue.

mbuster25 05-01-2013 09:21 AM

Thanks GermanCars and TH22! Just a software update, it's relief.

I'll take it in middle of this month and report back results.

tutooo 05-03-2013 01:06 PM

Mine is loose and I am taking it to the dealer next week. Try putting your car in reverse while your handbrake is engaged. Then go to the back of the car and try moving the lens gently. If you see it turn on and off in your car through the rear windshield then you will know it is a hardware issue.

mbuster25 05-03-2013 01:57 PM

I've been unable to repeat the symptom this week, but lost all sound/audio on drive to work. I think I have the command update problem for sure. That sounds like an idea to test it. I know the car need not have the engine running in order to engage the camera, but I'd rather have my spouse in the car with foot on brake to be safe.

El Cid 05-06-2013 05:36 PM

DO NOT DO THIS!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by tutooo (Post 5635087)
Mine is loose and I am taking it to the dealer next week. Try putting your car in reverse while your handbrake is engaged. Then go to the back of the car and try moving the lens gently. If you see it turn on and off in your car through the rear windshield then you will know it is a hardware issue.

The parking brake is to keep the car from rolling when it is parked and engine is off. In fact, if you open the door, the transmission should shift to park anyway.

mbuster25 05-06-2013 08:38 PM

My 2010 does not shift into park when opening door

El Cid 05-07-2013 09:07 AM

Mine does

Originally Posted by mbuster25 (Post 5638750)
My 2010 does not shift into park when opening door

Mine does and it has a build date of Oct. 2009. Actually if I turn off engine, it shifts to neutral and then when I open the door, it shifts into park.
BTW, I have had a black screen about 4-5 times over the course of 3.5 years. Only happened when backing out of garage and then not again for a long time. I think one thing that caused it a couple of times was that I was switching between radio and music register or nav and audio immediately after I put it into reverse.

tutooo 05-07-2013 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by El Cid (Post 5638494)
The parking brake is to keep the car from rolling when it is parked and engine is off. In fact, if you open the door, the transmission should shift to park anyway.

My transmission does not put the car in 'P' when I open the door....at least not while the car is running.

tutooo 05-07-2013 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by El Cid (Post 5639248)
Mine does and it has a build date of Oct. 2009. Actually if I turn off engine, it shifts to neutral and then when I open the door, it shifts into park.
BTW, I have had a black screen about 4-5 times over the course of 3.5 years. Only happened when backing out of garage and then not again for a long time. I think one thing that caused it a couple of times was that I was switching between radio and music register or nav and audio immediately after I put it into reverse.

Try opening the door while the car is on and in gear. It does not go to 'P'.

Live Oak 05-07-2013 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by tutooo (Post 5639285)
Try opening the door while the car is on and in gear. It does not go to 'P'.

2011 E550. Engine running, in gear, stopped or moving (under ~9mph), open the driver door and it goes into Park. WHAM!

tutooo 05-07-2013 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Live Oak (Post 5639754)
2011 E550. Engine running, in gear, stopped or moving (under ~9mph), open the driver door and it goes into Park. WHAM!

Not on 2010 E350's. I open my door all the time when getting in a parking spot.

ttoE550 05-07-2013 05:20 PM

There was a thread on this when the 2011s came out. My 2010 also does not go into P.

Live Oak 05-07-2013 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by tutooo (Post 5639812)
Not on 2010 E350's. I open my door all the time when getting in a parking spot.

I wonder if some poor MB driver forgot to put it in Park, stepped out, and was run over by his own car (or somebody else was). So, starting in 2011, the lawyers told MB to put the car in Park if running and in gear and the driver door opened.

I'm waiting for the day it slams me into Park and rips the Park pawl out of the transmission.

What's the old saying? ''The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.'' Shakespeare, wasn't it?

Yes, if mine is running and in gear, and I shut the engine off, it goes automatically into Neutral. If I then open the car door, it goes into Park. That's great.

BenzV12 05-08-2013 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Live Oak (Post 5639844)
I wonder if some poor MB driver forgot to put it in Park, stepped out, and was run over by his own car (or somebody else was). So, starting in 2011, the lawyers told MB to put the car in Park if running and in gear and the driver door opened.

I'm waiting for the day it slams me into Park and rips the Park pawl out of the transmission.

What's the old saying? ''The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.'' Shakespeare, wasn't it?

Yes, if mine is running and in gear, and I shut the engine off, it goes automatically into Neutral. If I then open the car door, it goes into Park. That's great.

I remember a video of showing a woman hit by her own car because of not engaging P :crazy:

mbuster25 05-16-2013 07:05 PM

UPDATE. Dealer supposedly updated software in the car yesterday. Drive home without a problem. This morning got to work, and the problem is back (no image). Called dealer and scheduled to bring it in.

TH22 05-16-2013 08:49 PM

I still have not had the black screen issue since the software update, however, a weird thing happened yesterday. I started the car and turned off the radio by pressing the center "on" button. The radio turned off and the screen went black as it is supposed to do when command is turned off. Next, I put the car in reverse--the camera turned on (supposed to) and the radio turned back on (don't think it is supposed to).

I don't know if anyone else has had this happen. Seems like a bug.

mbuster25 05-22-2013 06:07 PM

UPDATE
Dealership replaced COMMAND UNIT P/N A2129002812. On work order it says that the they found error code C264 "Communication with backup camera has a malfunction".

I hope this is the end of it.

BenzV12 05-23-2013 02:23 AM

Kudos to your dealer and I believe this will fix it considering they went for a major replacement :y