E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

bottomed out?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 04:10 AM

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts
2011 E550
bottomed out?

Hello everybody, I have come back with another problem, today I was driving,I was on the phone with my girlfriend and I wasn't exactly paying attention,I went over a extremely low road dip that literally made me slam my head on the ceiling and I was going 30-40 miles an hour. my question is could I have damaged something? I checked underneath the car nothing seems to have been scraped, and when I was driving it back out seemed ok on the alignment and steering. could I have damaged the transmission on this tho? the car was doing weird jerky shifts, but maybe that's cause it was on sport mode. anyway, what do you guys think? thanks guys.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 573 Likes on 429 Posts
W212 FL
I bet your auto locks also popped out from the severity of the impact lol
This happened to me twice on my car but I didn't hit my head
Well,I talked about this on my maintenance and they found nothing , what a solid car

Jerky shifts ? I think you let your foot off the pedal and it will make you feel like that , if this is case let the car shift it ,no need to release your foot off the gas pedal during accelerating
Old 05-29-2013, 08:04 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
hang up and drive, but I guess you know that now?
this incident will not curtail people from talking on the phone and not paying attention.....

I have no sympathy
Old 05-29-2013, 08:31 AM

2011 E550
Originally Posted by BenzV12
I bet your auto locks also popped out from the severity of the impact lol
This happened to me twice on my car but I didn't hit my head
Well,I talked about this on my maintenance and they found nothing , what a solid car

Jerky shifts ? I think you let your foot off the pedal and it will make you feel like that , if this is case let the car shift it ,no need to release your foot off the gas pedal during accelerating
Twice? holy Hell dude! When it happend to me yesterday I nearly felt like crying! LMFAO I don't know what will happen to me a second time. So my best bet is to take it to the dealer?
BTW auto locks, are the door locks right?

Last edited by bob2011; 05-29-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:42 AM

2011 E550
Originally Posted by hyperion667
hang up and drive, but I guess you know that now?
this incident will not curtail people from talking on the phone and not paying attention.....
I have no sympathy
no sympathy required bro, Just advice! normally I don't drive with my phone attached to my ear, it's just my girlfriend's grandma passed away very recently and she was feeling kind of depressed and that's why she called me, couldn't really hang up on her. :/
Old 05-29-2013, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
You are probably fine. The biggest worry in "bottoming out" is damage to the oil pan. You likely did no damage at all to the suspension. These cars are solid and strong. After all they are from a country that loves its beer. Just be thankful that it was not a "low tricycle" in the road with a child on it while you are driving like an idiot.

Last edited by ImInPA; 05-29-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:10 AM

2011 E550
Originally Posted by ImInPA
You are probably fine. The biggest worry in "bottoming out" is damage to the oil pan. You likely did no damage at all to the suspension. These cars are solid and strong. After all they are from a country that loves its beer.
I checked under the car after doesn't seem like there are any leaks, but will make sure agian! Also the ending of your post is pure win!! I was cracking up eating breakfast!
Old 05-29-2013, 01:51 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
Originally Posted by bob2011
no sympathy required bro, Just advice! normally I don't drive with my phone attached to my ear, it's just my girlfriend's grandma passed away very recently and she was feeling kind of depressed and that's why she called me, couldn't really hang up on her. :/
So not only were you driving distracted, but you were breaking the law by not having a hands free device (that is built into your car)

Would you be posting here if that "bump in the road" had been a kid on a bike?

How do you expect us to diagnose your issue. We don't know what - other than the bumpstops - you hit so there isn't any way of telling.

My advice - since you care more about your car than the lives of those around you - is to take it to the most expensive dealership you can find and have them run every imaginable test. Maybe a $1000 repair bill will get your mind back on the road where it belongs. Maybe you bent the frame.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 E350 4Matic Sport
Why is everybody being so hard on Bob? I'm sure we all have driving stories of things we should have avoided or handled better. Stuff happens. Being on handsfree does not necessarily mean he would have been focused on the road.

Bob - hopefully that bump is the worst you will ever run in to .
Old 05-29-2013, 02:13 PM

2014 E350 4matic Designo, 2014 ML350 4matic Sport, 2013 Cls550
I think we have all been on the other end of one of those girlfriend calls haha I wouldn't worry about the car too much, I've had a couple of those bumps where I hit my head and quite a few that triggered the auto door unlock. The worst that has ever happened is that an "ESP inoperable visit workshop" message came up, but that went away after i restarted the car and never came back. No harm done. If you haven't gotten any messages yet you should be good.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:16 PM

2012 E350 RWD, 2003 Aprilia RSV1000 Tuono
Originally Posted by tutooo
Why is everybody being so hard on Bob? I'm sure we all have driving stories of things we should have avoided or handled better. Stuff happens. Being on handsfree does not necessarily mean he would have been focused on the road.

Well said.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:18 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63

what do you mean 'everybody'? haha!
there have been two opinions of decent
and that's everyone?
Old 05-29-2013, 02:21 PM

2010 E350 4Matic Sport
what do you mean 'everybody'? haha!
there have been two opinions of decent
and that's everyone?
I was trying to be nice and not call you out
Old 05-29-2013, 02:26 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
I was trying to be nice and not call you out
I know I know

but I felt the need to say something.......can't help myself.......
I can deal with being called an idiot for it
Don't claim to be the paragon of driving, and I don't even have a cell phone

and plus, looks at this cool button I got today for my AMG
Old 05-29-2013, 02:28 PM

2011 E550
Why is everybody being so hard on Bob? I'm sure we all have driving stories of things we should have avoided or handled better stuff happens. Because handsfree does not necessarily mean he would have been focused on the road.

some of these guys on the forum are really tough as nails type of guys, but like you said, all of us have driving stories when we could have handled it better, this certainly is one of them, but stuff happens and I guess I was in the wrong place at the wrong time :/ I really appreciate your response! and I also hope this is the only hard bump I run into, this one certainly jarred me.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:33 PM

2011 E550
Originally Posted by JDBKLYN89
I think we have all been on the other end of one of those girlfriend calls haha I wouldn't worry about the car too much, I've had a couple of those bumps where I hit my head and quite a few that triggered the auto door unlock. The worst that has ever happened is that an "ESP inoperable visit workshop" message came up, but that went away after i restarted the car and never came back. No harm done. If you haven't gotten any messages yet you should be good.
First let me say thank you the response, and i have not got a Esp message. my only other worry is i might have busted the oil pan, but have not seen any leakage. so maybe not?
Old 05-29-2013, 02:36 PM

2010 E350 4Matic Sport
I know I know

That does look nice. The best thing is you can easily switch back to stock when you get sick of it. I was about to order those pedals for my W212 but the dealer says that the catalog specifically says that they are not for sport or amg models. I do not understand what difference the pedals have between lux and sport models. I thought that they are the same. Maybe something different with the push down button in accelerator pedal? Makes no sense to me that they do not have metal pedals for w212 sport models.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:37 PM

2014 E350 4matic Designo, 2014 ML350 4matic Sport, 2013 Cls550
I know I know

That's awesome! Is it one click accessory, two clicks engine starts, three clicks hood mounted machine gun/rocket launcher engage?
Old 05-29-2013, 02:44 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
some of these guys on the forum are really tough as nails type of guys, but like you said, all of us have driving stories when we could have handled it better, this certainly is one of them, but stuff happens and I guess I was in the wrong place at the wrong time :/ I really appreciate your response! and I also hope this is the only hard bump I run into, this one certainly jarred me.
well, I'm not that tough......just nuts about folks on phones.....
and I mean no disrespect, but I do mean to challenge the way "others" think about driving while distracted, sux you may have screwed up your car, but it's all a huge crapshoot I guess.......I too have had many 'a folly-ups....
just forgive yourself and move on I guess
That does look nice. The best thing is you can easily switch back to stock when you get sick of it. I was about to order those pedals for my W212 but the dealer says that the catalog specifically says that they are not for sport or amg models. I do not understand what difference the pedals have between lux and sport models. I thought that they are the same. Maybe something different with the push down button in accelerator pedal? Makes no sense to me that they do not have metal pedals for w212 sport models.
thanx, (big thread jack eh)
the petals I rarely even notice hehe, just needed to mod something on my car LOL
Originally Posted by JDBKLYN89
That's awesome! Is it one click accessory, two clicks engine starts, three clicks hood mounted machine gun/rocket launcher engage?
and the rear end deployment of road spikes
Old 05-29-2013, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
We all have driving stories. Some of us choose to not air them in a public forum, as the lessons learned from them were truly lessons learned. If one needs a public confession, having a few members remind one that he was an idiot is a small penance to pay.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:56 PM

2011 E550
We all have driving stories. Some of us choose to not air them in a public forum, as the lessons learned from them were truly lessons learned. If one needs a public confession, having a few members remind one that he was an idiot is a small penance to pay.
well said.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:19 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
humility keeps me line you know?
look at the thread where Dad wrecked his car? he put it all right out there, but he already had the respect of the forum so all he got was support
Old 05-30-2013, 02:37 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Bob, you sound like a nice and humble guy and had my back when some of the Drama Queens here couldn't handle my "switch" thread. We all do dumb things and best we can do.... rather, our duty is to be thankful that nobody was hurt and then *learn from* and correct our mistakes for the better future. I've hit some bumps in my car that made me want to cry like a little girl because I'd hate for anything, especially the cars structural integrity to be compromised at all due to the ravaged roads that our first-world Country is incapable of upkeepking (says a lot about where our Tax dollars go, also says a lot about the culture of quality and human skill set or lack thereof behind our Countries infrastructure.... it's interesting when even corrections are paved wrongly by the incapable human beings behind the job, making it even more damaging to a car).

I'm sure nothing is wrong. If you're really paranoid, take it to a mechanic and have them look thoroughly at the suspension, chassis, and all that stuff down there that can be affected.

More importantly, make it a point never to be on the phone while in the car if you aren't on the built in Bluetooth. Also make it a point to never take your focus off the road no matter what. Understand that it's all our responsibilities to do this and anyone sharing the roads with you or I has every reason to want to bite our heads off if we're on the phone while driving, not paying attention for whatever reason, driving too fast, etc. Lives are lost and/or ruined due to such common and simple mistakes, overlooks and ignorance.

I have to remind myself of this every time I do something dumb (which is a lot) and am fortunate enough to have the ability to learn from for future reference.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:25 AM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
Yes, I came off a bit harsh but I've seen way too many preventable accidents caused by cell phones, texting and other stupid things that we do to save time.

Even those of us who grew up before cell phones find it an almost irresistable urge to look at out phones now when we hear or feel that buzz of an incoming email.

I put my two phones into my briefcase on the back seat every morning to resist that urge - I can't look if I can't get to it.

We drilled that into our son and now (probably being an EMT helps with that too) his signature line on his emails talks to the dangers of distracted driving.

Our organization (as do many others) has a prohibition against sending emails to employees when you know they are on the road.

With one exception, every single one car accident (with the exception of wildlife strikes) I've reviewed in the last year was preventable. It was either DUI, texting/talking (no handsfree), grossly excessive speed or falling asleep.

Even some of the wildlife strikes would have been avoidable had people been paying more attention. The one exception was the guy who ran over a spike in the highway that caused catastrophic tire failure resulting in loss of control.

I'll take incoming handsfree calls when driving but they are limited to "can I call you back when I get to my destination." If it seems important then I'll pull over in a parking space and talk there.

Can I still have an accident (even one that is my fault)? Of course, but I try to remove as many distractions as possible.

A few videos and other info from around the world

Drop it and Drive

Distracted Driving in Australia

A video and

and finally

The OP was lucky. I'm sure he is a nice helpful fellow but drivers need a wakeup call before they hit the kid on a bike.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:49 AM

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
C8, FF, C63S, 911 C4S, GTI, E350, Boxster S, 355, Esprit S4, Vantage, S5, Z4, M3, Miata, A4, 325is
Originally Posted by CEB
Yes, I came off a bit harsh but I've seen way too many preventable accidents caused by cell phones, texting and other stupid things that we do to save time.

Even those of us who grew up before cell phones find it an almost irresistable urge to look at out phones now when we hear or feel that buzz of an incoming email.

I put my two phones into my briefcase on the back seat every morning to resist that urge - I can't look if I can't get to it.

We drilled that into our son and now (probably being an EMT helps with that too) his signature line on his emails talks to the dangers of distracted driving.

Our organization (as do many others) has a prohibition against sending emails to employees when you know they are on the road.

With one exception, every single one car accident (with the exception of wildlife strikes) I've reviewed in the last year was preventable. It was either DUI, texting/talking (no handsfree), grossly excessive speed or falling asleep.

Even some of the wildlife strikes would have been avoidable had people been paying more attention. The one exception was the guy who ran over a spike in the highway that caused catastrophic tire failure resulting in loss of control.

I'll take incoming handsfree calls when driving but they are limited to "can I call you back when I get to my destination." If it seems important then I'll pull over in a parking space and talk there.

Can I still have an accident (even one that is my fault)? Of course, but I try to remove as many distractions as possible.

A few videos and other info from around the world

Drop it and Drive

Distracted Driving in Australia

A video and the original

and another and finally

The OP was lucky. I'm sure he is a nice helpful fellow but drivers need a wakeup call before they hit the kid on a bike.

Nice video and thanks for sharing. But the second one doesn't work. Repost?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: bottomed out?