MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   2014 E350 Full LED headlight questions (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/509020-2014-e350-full-led-headlight-questions.html)

MichiganML350 08-05-2013 11:05 AM

2014 E350 Full LED headlight questions

I have an 2014 E350 Sport on order. The model I test drove did not have the Full LED headlight option. I have a 2007 ML350 which has the HID lighting option and the lights turn and follow the curve. I ordered the Full LED option to get that feature. On a Mercedes order sheet I see that the OEM Code 319 Lighting Package lists "Headlamp Cleaning System". On all of the photos of the 2014 E350 with full LED Lighting, I have never seen the small doors for the headlamp sprayers, like my ML350 has. Does anyone know what the Headlamp Cleaning System is?
Also, I have seen fog lights listed on dealer pages describing standard options for the new E350. The only fog light switch I've ever seen, in person or in photos is the rear fog light switch. Are there separate fog lights built in the Full LED lighting system or is the beam lowered? How are they turned on?

GabrielNov 08-05-2013 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by MichiganML350 (Post 5738145)
I have an 2014 E350 Sport on order. The model I test drove did not have the Full LED headlight option. I have a 2007 ML350 which has the HID lighting option and the lights turn and follow the curve. I ordered the Full LED option to get that feature. On a Mercedes order sheet I see that the OEM Code 319 Lighting Package lists "Headlamp Cleaning System". On all of the photos of the 2014 E350 with full LED Lighting, I have never seen the small doors for the headlamp sprayers, like my ML350 has. Does anyone know what the Headlamp Cleaning System is?
Also, I have seen fog lights listed on dealer pages describing standard options for the new E350. The only fog light switch I've ever seen, in person or in photos is the rear fog light switch. Are there separate fog lights built in the Full LED lighting system or is the beam lowered? How are they turned on?

From what I gathered, the lights have "built in" fog lights. Essentially they are good enough to project low when you need them by sensing light etc. They seemed to work well in dark conditions so far I have yet to witness any fog.

I have the sport model and I see one " cut out" where it looks like a spray could come from I have never tried it. It was on the passenger side front light.

Only complaint is keeping the lights on "auto" is that they do seem to turn on/off and makes it look like I am flashing someone. But I can get over it!

The rear fog light switch is just for the one light in the back (not sure I will use it unless its heavily snowing or extreme fog). Most of the time cars should be able to see you with the LED tail lamps.

CEB 08-05-2013 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by GabrielNov (Post 5738217)
From what I gathered, the lights have "built in" fog lights. Essentially they are good enough to project low when you need them by sensing light etc. They seemed to work well in dark conditions so far I have yet to witness any fog.

I have the sport model and I see one " cut out" where it looks like a spray could come from I have never tried it. It was on the passenger side front light.

Only complaint is keeping the lights on "auto" is that they do seem to turn on/off and makes it look like I am flashing someone. But I can get over it!

The rear fog light switch is just for the one light in the back (not sure I will use it unless its heavily snowing or extreme fog). Most of the time cars should be able to see you with the LED tail lamps.

That is the only time you should be using it.

BTW, the single rear foglight has a legal background - specifically to identify the driver's side of the vehicle.

samkimg 08-05-2013 02:54 PM

I've been driving my new 2013 E350 US Sport model for a week and this is what I've found about the lighting ...
* The active lighting package seems "whiter" than my original Bi-xenon lights. They seem to track to the road better and the high-beams seem to be on more than before.
* In addition to the red rear fog-light I had before, the new fog light button now swivels the front lights down and out a little bit and they light the road to the sides very well.

There are no headlight washers that I know of for this MY in the US, the one opening to the right (from the inside) of the bumper should be the towing eye adapter connector. But my US model has a button to the left of the light switch that illuninates the rear light and makes the active lighting elements shift down and out. I haven't had fog to try them in, just playing with all of the buttons in a darkened garage. :)

MichiganML350 08-05-2013 03:24 PM

Full LED Headlight Cleaning System

I found the OEM package description listing "Headlamp Cleaning System" for the 319 Full LED Lighting Package on ebizutos.com. I assume it's for US models, but perhaps not.
Just found out my build date - August 20. Should be in Michigan by 2nd
week of September. 2014 E350 Sport 4Matic: Steel Gray Metallic, Black MBTex, Black Ash wood trim, 18" AMG wheels, folding rear seats, rear spoiler
P1 Package, Full LED Lighting Package, Keyless Go, remote trunk opener.
I guess I'll find out soon about headlamp washers and fog light operation.

Arrie 08-05-2013 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by GabrielNov (Post 5738217)

In the 2011 E350 that I had the fog light button did something else too than just turned ON the driver side rear fog light. It forced the front light on low beam if you had them on high and it also forced them to the lowest distance if the auto was enabled. Also the DRLs went OFF. I bet they kept these functions in 2014 models too.

There is another function in Europe on these cars. When the fog light is enabled the light beams in front widen also. I don't know if this was brought to the U.S. models but it might?

MichiganML350 09-30-2013 12:06 PM

I received my new 2014 E350 Sport with Full LED Lighting Option last week. I now have answers to my questions.
The Rear Fog Light button widens and lowers the light beam while in the Low Beam position, as well as turning on the Rear Fog Light. I have not seen this listed in any owners manual, although Front Fog Lights are listed as a standard feature in several places.

There are no headlight washers.

E350rulz 09-30-2013 12:15 PM

What are rear fog lights ? Wont those blind the person behind you ?

rovinrail 09-30-2013 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by E350rulz (Post 5795428)
What are rear fog lights ? Wont those blind the person behind you ?

Yes, and plenty of idiot drivers use themat the wrong time.

here in Germany, it's only legal when visibility is less than 50 meters.

edspider 09-30-2013 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by MichiganML350 (Post 5795420)
I received my new 2014 E350 Sport with Full LED Lighting Option last week. I now have answers to my questions.
The Rear Fog Light button widens and lowers the light beam while in the Low Beam position, as well as turning on the Rear Fog Light. I have not seen this listed in any owners manual, although Front Fog Lights are listed as a standard feature in several places.

There are no headlight washers.

I don't miss them. All they ever did for me was put watermarks on my hood.