2012 C250 vs 2010 E350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
Originally Posted by pbloskas
Are there any problems with the E class that might cost me, seeing as it is out of warranty? Also, do you feel like the E class is a bit big? I will definitely be test driving it, to see for myself.
Make sure the 40K transmission fluid change has been done. The 7G transmission really needs this service to avoid serious problems later in life. Some owners may trade in before the 40k service. Just make certain it is done.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
To OP, I just recently purchased a 2010 E350 with 4MATIC. It also came with the AMG Sport Package and P1 lighting package ("Luxury Sedan" package that does NOT come with HID's) and panoramic sunroof. But I added aftermarket HID's for $150, and lemme tell you, it honestly looks much better than the OEM HID's. I LOVE my HID kit.

The car had JUST under 34,000 miles on it. The sales price was $34,790 which begs the question, why is the E class you're looking at so cheap? Honestly, it sounds a bit suspect to me.

I definitely recommend the E class, as long as nothing is wrong with it. However, it probably didn't pass the Certified Pre-Owned designation for a reason. You may run into some serious issues later on.

With that said, if you go with the E, MAKE SURE YOU GET THE MAINTENANCE PACKAGE AND EXTENDED WARRANTY. THIS IS THE ONLY WAY YOU SHOULD GO THIS ROUTE. Without it, you are just asking for headaches and a neverending hole in your wallet.

I absolutely LOVE my E class. I will never get another vehicle without AWD, nor will it not be a German car.

Like one of the other guys said, the 40k mile service is one of the bigger ones and considered the Schedule B service which will cost approximately $700. Then you will need a Schedule A service at 50k which costs about $350. This is why you MUST get the maintenance package and extended warranty.

Just assume you will be shelling out $1,000 every 20k miles for "maintenance", but instead of paying it on the spot each time you get the work done, you can just add the $999 cost to buy the maintenance plan into the loan. No brainer if you ask me. Notwithstanding, since it the E is not a Certified Pre Owned, you will need the purchase the extended warranty.

To be quite honest, in your position, it would probably be in your best interest to get the C250 and just add an HID kit. They are very inexpensive these days and easy to install, if that is one of the biggest selling points for the E. Yes, the E class rides better, but you're still young enough to enjoy the C.

A car being Certified Pre Owned was the deal breaker for me. I was choosing between 2 cars, but, I ultimately opted for the Certified Pre Owned Vehicle and I know for a fact I made the right choice.

Hope this helps shed some light.

On the other hand, what *I* would personally do is wait for a Certified Pre Owned E class to pop up later in time. I could never drive the C class (might as well get a Hyundai Sonata, like seriously). The E class is on a whole new level and I absolutely love it.

Good luck!

Last edited by mrbrianshin; 12-13-2013 at 01:05 AM.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'10 MB E350, '05 Porsche Boxster, '70 Fiat 500
As a side note to the conversation. If the reputable independent dealer you're considering is Texas Cars Direct than I would highly recommend them for either car you choose. I just purchased a '10 E350 from them and can easily say it was the best car buying experience I've had. They even held the car inside for a month for me until I could fly back to pick it up (I live in Germany). Very worthwhile to keep an eye on their inventory.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by mrbrianshin
... it probably didn't pass the Certified Pre-Owned designation for a reason. Good luck!...
Don't put too much stock in the CPO program as it's not what you may think it is....or what it's claimed to be. About the only thing it's good for is qualification for extended warranty through MB as near as I can tell.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:54 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 316 Likes on 265 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Delete
Old 12-13-2013, 07:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by mleskovar
Don't put too much stock in the CPO program as it's not what you may think it is....or what it's claimed to be. About the only thing it's good for is qualification for extended warranty through MB as near as I can tell.
truth. but it definitely doesnt hurt.

but of course, i forgot to mention, i did do my due diligence in checking the CARFAX history report. there was only 1 owner and it was a 2 year lease up in White Plains, NY and assume mostly highway driving. I think i got a great deal

Moral: Always check CARFAX too. lol