E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

How useless is Mbrace

Old 12-20-2013, 01:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes e350 BlueTec
How useless is Mbrace

Tried to locate my car today using my phone. After a multi-minute wait, I was told that Mbrace couldn't locate my car. As you can probably guess, I was looking at my car in my garage

So....if Mbrace can't figure out where I parked the car last night (or where it last saw it) and it can't find it sitting in my garage.....what good would it be in a city like Ashville if I couldn't remember which garage I parked in....etc. If someone stole the car, how useful would it be to find the car if it is sitting in some garage?

It really seems like a useless system to me....and I wonder if I actually had an accident if Mbrace would ever know about it, if it relies on cellphone coverage. Of course, they don't even tell you what cellphone infrastructure they use.

So who finds it useful?
Old 12-20-2013, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
I declined it at purchase, absolutely same useless as Google cloud. But companies want easy money, so we can't refuse them in that.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'19 MBZ E450 Wagon, '19 BMW 530e
Only thing that mbrace is somewhat useful is Google Map to Car. That's pretty much it.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:08 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2012 w221
very useless.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Only thing I use it for is Voice Navigation because the voice navigation built into the car blows. So I just call MBrace to have them send the address to my car.

Otherwise since I have a Windows Phone (IE; no app for MBRACE) Its pretty useless but AMAZING voice instructions for navigation, LOL /sarcasm
Old 12-20-2013, 11:15 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 E350 Wagon
Here is how useless it is, I just made this video to show how stupid slow and useless it is. You're about to waste 7 minutes of your time watching paint dry....

Old 12-21-2013, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 E400 4Matic Coupe
Angry mBrace speeds are pathetic.

Originally Posted by GregTR
Here is how useless it is, I just made this video to show how stupid slow and useless it is. You're about to waste 7 minutes of your time watching paint dry....

Mercedes-Benz MBrace App Review - YouTube
I agree. I also have a 2014 E350 and am absolutely disgusted by the mBrace System. There must be a way to allow the much speedier connection from a SmartPhone to "drive" the vehicle display.

Anything would be better than the 1980's 300 baud dial-up modem speeds that the mBrace offers.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:18 PM

E 250
I'll pile on here too.

In a world where EVERYONE buying a Mercedes-Benz car is going to own a smart phone, this system is amazingly bad.

I'd be so much happier if the darn thing just integrated with Siri. Period.

It already almost does. If I've paired my iPhone with it and invoke Siri on the phone (a single long press on the home button) then it works great through the cars speakers and microphone. If only I could repurpose the "voice button" on the steering wheel to invoke Siri, I'd be all set.

Last edited by michael61; 12-21-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:37 PM

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
asdas
I was sent a survey by MB about the navigation/mbrace/infotainment system and let them know no holds barred how atrocious I think the whole system is. Couple years later and still the same call Mbrace for directions/POI's nonsense.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:50 AM

2014 E350 4Matic, 2012 Kia Soul+
I am pretty disappointed with the voice interaction and onstar features of my new 2014. I was really hoping they be a little better. My KIA Soul has outstanding voice interaction for the phone and nav. It accepts stuff like "Call Mary Smith on Cell".

The MBrace Internet is completely worthless because of the speed. The set of apps is good, but what's the point if the data speed is 300 baud?

The minimal service level at $280 seems high considering it gives a subset of what GM or Toyato provide for less. The PLUS option ($306 for 18 months) gives you a live person who will push routes to your NAV. As someone on this thread said, this has value because the voice commands are so troublesome. It also makes for a cool passenger demo.

The only justification I can think of is pushing a button and asking for directions to a POI by name using a live body is big luxury for me. I'm leaning toward buying it.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Not necessarily so

Originally Posted by michael61
I'll pile on here too.

In a world where EVERYONE buying a Mercedes-Benz car is going to own a smart phone,
Neither my wife nor I own smart phones, etc. We do have cell phones with BlueTooth, but that's it.
When it came time to renew mBrace, I rejected it.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:55 AM

E 250
OK, "almost" everyone ;-)
Old 12-23-2013, 12:20 PM

E350 Bluetec
I read up on it, and I couldn't see any point to signing up. Reading the replies above, glad I passed on it
Old 12-23-2013, 02:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 E350 RWD, 2003 Aprilia RSV1000 Tuono
I REALLY liked sending destinations to my car from my PC. But, after the free introductory period ended I would not pay almost $300/yr just so I can do that. I think it should be free.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
We are same couple, wife has Motorola Razr 3, just a regular phone. I have a smart phone but use it as iPod, for music only and do not have data plan.
I know Ford supported beaming address just using IR from a phone, so no involving expensive satellite. I really do not know why MB engineers decide about so complicated way. I bet they do not collect expected money and rise just questions from customers. Maybe Europeans use Mbrace more actively, but we Americans are really traditional people.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Nothing is "free."

Originally Posted by Bigglen1
I REALLY liked sending destinations to my car from my PC. But, after the free introductory period ended I would not pay almost $300/yr just so I can do that. I think it should be free.
Either it is paid for in higher service costs, higher purchase prices or something else. That said, I do believe DAG/MBUSA could find a way to reduce the costs or permit fewer services for lower costs.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:50 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 E350 Wagon
Originally Posted by El Cid
Either it is paid for in higher service costs, higher purchase prices or something else. That said, I do believe DAG/MBUSA could find a way to reduce the costs or permit fewer services for lower costs.
Nothing is free. They could also de-bundle the P01 package and sell the heated seats and the H/K audio system and the sunshades as separate options while allowing me to forego the useless navigation and Sirius radio as a whole. But they don't and it's a choice they and I have to live with. The marginal cost for all those MBrace services is practically nil so bundling them together makes perfect financial sense for MB as they're providing "something" for "nothing". All in all I see zero value in MBrace and that is precisely how much I'm willing to pay for it.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
..In a world where EVERYONE buying a Mercedes-Benz car is going to own a smart phone.
Originally Posted by El Cid
Neither my wife nor I own smart phones, etc. We do have cell phones with BlueTooth, but that's it...
I have never owned a cell phone and don't see the need for ever getting one, smart or not. When I tell this to people half are incredulous and half are jealous.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 834 Likes on 603 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by Bigglen1

I am kind of lucky as my 2010 model year car came with the teleaid. I cannot send addresses from my computer to it, instead I can call it and ask them to send me a poi that is not in my system and it comes in 10 seconds.

Why I really keep the service is four reasons. One is the automatic emergency calling if airbag deployment is detected, second is the teft tracking, third is the remote car unlocking and the fourth is the above mentioned poi service.

If nothing else I would pay the $245 yearly fee just for the emergency call service. I'm on highways a lot at nights (although try to avoid night driving) and I could run off the road without anybody seeing it in the dark and be left there until daylight without this service. This of course assumes the airbag deploys but if it does not I probably can walk out from the car by myself.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:18 AM

2014 E250 BlueTec
MBrace is not ready for prime time. It doesn't even belong in a Chevrolet. Fail!
Old 12-30-2013, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
I use mBrace often. I love the Send2Benz functionality. I also call them if I cannot find a particular point of interest in the database, and they send it to me. Also, you can add the Plus services one month at a time. When traveling to Boston recently, I received restaurant suggestions and local entertainment choices. It may not be for everyone, but, it works for me. I guess I could just by a Chevy to get better features.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'19 MBZ E450 Wagon, '19 BMW 530e
I rather have them install Minesweeer or Brick.

Thanks for the reminder to cancel my mBRACE subscription.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:56 PM

2010 911 Turbo Cabriolet, 2014 Mazda3
Literally just cancelled my trial subscription today.....
Old 12-31-2013, 10:52 PM

2014 E250 BlueTec
I already knew it was bad. I posted as such. However I wanted to take advantage of the 3 month "complimentary subscription" just so I can irritate myself and raise my blood pressure a little more.

During the signup process, I asked what made it so slow. Operator on the other end acknowledged the speed problems and said they know it is slow because the server(s) are located in Germany!!

Then he tried to upsell me. If I paid for three years all at once they could reduce it to somewhere around $750. They must have a lot of people either not signing up or cancelling for them to try to lock the users to a three year contract!

As soon as they sent the signal and activated my car, I realized why everyone (almost everyone) hates it.

If GM OnStar did this, the entire industry would be talking about it and Attorney Generals in many states would be spearheading class action against MB.
Yes, it is really really that bad!
I am in for three long months. I wonder what they will think of me if I cancel something that is FREE.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 834 Likes on 603 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by AErcen
I already knew it was bad. I posted as such. However I wanted to take advantage of the 3 month "complimentary subscription" just so I can irritate myself and raise my blood pressure a little more.

During the signup process, I asked what made it so slow. Operator on the other end acknowledged the speed problems and said they know it is slow because the server(s) are located in Germany!!

Then he tried to upsell me. If I paid for three years all at once they could reduce it to somewhere around $750. They must have a lot of people either not signing up or cancelling for them to try to lock the users to a three year contract!

As soon as they sent the signal and activated my car, I realized why everyone (almost everyone) hates it.

If GM OnStar did this, the entire industry would be talking about it and Attorney Generals in many states would be spearheading class action against MB.
Yes, it is really really that bad!
I am in for three long months. I wonder what they will think of me if I cancel something that is FREE.

Their servers in Germany!!?? Wow, MB really went to make business of the TeleAid service that they call Mbrace.

My car being the 2010 model was made with the TeleAid, which by the way is just a phone number in the car's system, i.e. any car could go back to TeleAid service if they had that phone number changed in the car that it dials. I bet no MB service will change that...

But, what do I use TeleAid for...occasional POI address and the feel that if I run off the road at night or somewhere nobody sees it, they will if the air bag is deployed. I think about $250/year is fine to pay just for that security but I also get remote car unlocking and theft car tracking.

It is so funny (feel like I have stated this before) how these other functions in the car are so important that the main thing is forgotten, the car itself.

For all of you complaining about the Mbrace, don't have it, period. If $250 is too much to pay for one year of that service after you buy a car listed upwards from $60 000 you may have bought the wrong car to star with. Grow up people!

Or if you want better "secondary features" with the car go buy a Lexus or Infinity or Hyundai or Acura of whatever you feel like.

Do better research on the car before you buy it so you can live easier...

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How useless is Mbrace