MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   Buying Advice - 2011 vs. 2014? (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/525224-buying-advice-2011-vs-2014-a.html)

Pristine 12-26-2013 08:56 AM

Buying Advice - 2011 vs. 2014?

I'm considering to purchase a W212 and would like your advice in terms of which is a better value out of the two options. I plan to keep the car for 2-3 years, and may drive around 15k miles/year.

Option 1
11 E350 Sport 4Matic
21k miles
P1
P2
Pano roof
CPO
$35k

Option 2
2014 E350 Sport 4Matic
P1
~$52

I'd be fine with either option, but which one is a better value now and would hold its value more 2-3 years from now? I'm leaning towards Option 1 since it meets my needs, has all the desired options including color combo. It also seems like a more practical choice since it is ~$17k less for a very similar car. I'm also impartial to both designs and I like them both. For Option 2, the key benefits are that it is a new car, more refined interior, exterior, as well as the drive.

emericr 12-26-2013 09:41 AM

You really need to ask the forum that question???
From a purely value option, the used car will be the better value if bought for the right amount.

GregTR 12-26-2013 11:46 AM

Used car is always a better value. With the CPO warranty you have almost the same time and even longer mileage coverage than with the new one and the 2011 is better equipped.

dkchips 12-26-2013 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Pristine (Post 5886409)
I'm considering to purchase a W212 and would like your advice in terms of which is a better value out of the two options. I plan to keep the car for 2-3 years, and may drive around 15k miles/year.

Option 1
11 E350 Sport 4Matic
21k miles
P1
P2
Pano roof
CPO
$35k

Option 2
2014 E350 Sport 4Matic
P1
~$52

I'd be fine with either option, but which one is a better value now and would hold its value more 2-3 years from now? I'm leaning towards Option 1 since it meets my needs, has all the desired options including color combo. It also seems like a more practical choice since it is ~$17k less for a very similar car. I'm also impartial to both designs and I like them both. For Option 2, the key benefits are that it is a new car, more refined interior, exterior, as well as the drive.

I'd go with option one 2011 CPO for a number of different reasons the number one reason right now would be price but I think you can do much better here in California 2011's because they have the older V-6 engine not the new one in the 2012's CPO

2011's are selling for as little as $31,000 at many dealerships and with 2014 E350 basic P1 with an MSRP of 54 to 55,000k many people are getting between eight and 10,000 off the MSRP

These huge discounts on new 2014's are driving down the price of the older 2011 and 2010 E350

I suggest doing a search on cars.com and car gurus for 2011 and 2012 E350 within a 500 mile radius of Los Angeles and you will see the lower prices

Good luck on your decision and either way you'll end up with a great car

Arrie 12-26-2013 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Pristine (Post 5886409)

Option 1
11 E350 Sport 4Matic
21k miles
P1
P2
Pano roof
CPO
$35k

Option 2
2014 E350 Sport 4Matic
P1
~$52

I sent you a PM.

Dema 12-26-2013 01:30 PM

Facelift was tremendously improved. I was driving E 2010 and generally got bored of the car and didn't want another E. However after driving it even not liking exterior I concluded that car is really good and considering current discount I would suggest to go with new E.

Pristine 12-26-2013 01:56 PM

Thanks for everyone's valuable advice. It seems that you cannot go wrong with either option.
Option 1 seems more practical to me right now. But I will have to test drive the 2014 to see if it justifies the extra cost.

billtang 12-26-2013 03:07 PM

2014 but with more options. You will forget the 20k difference soon and enjoy the new one.

ddeliber 12-26-2013 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by billtang (Post 5886669)
2014 but with more options. You will forget the 20k difference soon and enjoy the new one.

20k where? For the next couple days a 2014 with p1 will cost like $5k less than the 2012 the op is looking at.

Edit... Not sure why, but I thought the op was looking at an 11 vs 12. The point is still valid p1 only should be about $5k less than the quote.

Pristine 12-26-2013 10:01 PM

What do you all think about this E550? It is loaded with everything, but my only concern is the Carfax where a lot of parts have already needed to be replaced at under 30k miles including air suspension parts. Is this a sign of more problems in future?
http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...&partner=MRZ_1

Here is the car ad
http://www.mypreownedmercedes.com/us...hf9ab8ba312379

dkchips 12-26-2013 10:50 PM

The 2011 E550 is overpriced by at least $5,000 in addition you be better off with the 2102 model since the engine was changed for 2012 to a 402 HP Bi/Turbo that is a more efficient engine

If you love the 2011 then I'd offer $38,900 including the CPO warranty

I have the new V 8 in my CLS and it's awesome

Good luck

Pristine 12-26-2013 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by dkchips (Post 5887005)
The 2011 E550 is overpriced by at least $5,000 in addition you be better off with the 2102 model since the engine was changed for 2012 to a 402 HP Bi/Turbo that is a more efficient engine

If you love the 2011 then I'd offer $38,900 including the CPO warranty

I have the new V 8 in my CLS and it's awesome

Good luck

Yeah, I definitely won't be paying the asking price and was considering similar offer like yours.

Do you see any concerns with its service history especially with replacement of suspension parts and spark plugs being replaced twice?

dkchips 12-26-2013 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Pristine (Post 5887011)
Yeah, I definitely won't be paying the asking price and was considering similar offer like yours.

Do you see any concerns with its service history especially with replacement of suspension parts and spark plugs being replaced twice?

As long as you have the MB extended warranty you'll be OK

I'd offer $38,900 with the CPO warranty for 2 years and 100k miles

That means that the E would have a 6 year warranty from date of inception and giving you some peace of mind

But before you make the decision research the 2012 E550
Since it is better all around and market value with CPO is in the 44k to 46k range

Good luck

bob2011 12-27-2013 03:40 AM

Test drove a e350 with a pano roof, was blown away by the sheer awesomeness of having 2 sunroof's! On top of that my girlfriend loves to go star gazing, so now we can gaze in the back, with a lot more room To gaze and stuff........ :naughty: Personally i would go with option 1! Anyway you go, your going to have a amazing vehicle!

Arrie 12-27-2013 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Pristine (Post 5886966)
What do you all think about this E550? It is loaded with everything, but my only concern is the Carfax where a lot of parts have already needed to be replaced at under 30k miles including air suspension parts. Is this a sign of more problems in future?
http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...&partner=MRZ_1

Here is the car ad
http://www.mypreownedmercedes.com/us...hf9ab8ba312379

The Carfax shows something I really don't like myself. Yes, there are brake issues as the front rotors were changed already at 44 miles. This is not so bad to me as it is an easy fix to put after market rotors on the car and have no troubles. MB has a fix for the rotors now, I understand, but would they put those on the car under warranty with 30 000 miles on it?
I don't think so.

Also the Airmatic problem is a known problem. I had my own car with the rear dropping down over night and they replaced both rear air springs. I understand that this is an engineering issue and the replacement part is made different to fix it. At least mine has been fine since the "bag" change. In this car it says they changed the pump but it does not detail if they also changed the springs.

What worries me a lot it the engine issues.

11/29/2012 20,048 Euro Motorcars Germantown
Germantown, MD
240-686-1300
euromotorcars.com Recommended maintenance performed
Engine checked
Fuel system checked
Spark plug(s) replaced

08/06/2013 26,619 Euro Motorcars Germantown
Germantown, MD
240-686-1300
euromotorcars.com Engine compression checked
Engine/powertrain computer/module reprogrammed
Spark plug(s) replaced
Ignition coil(s) replaced
Electrical system checked

12/19/2013 30,412 Euro Motorcars Germantown
Germantown, MD
240-686-1300
euromotorcars.com Pre-delivery inspection completed
Computer reprogrammed
Oil and filter changed
State inspection completed
Four tires mounted and balanced
Radio replaced
Four wheel alignment performed
Washed/detailed
Wiper(s) replaced
Spark plug(s) replaced
Tire(s) balanced

The engine obviously has quite serious misfire issue as the spark plugs have been replaced 3 times.

They have checked cylinder compressions, which itself tells me the service is really trying to find out the reason for engine misfire issue. Compression check is not easily performed. There needs to be real reason to get the dealer service to do that. They also have changed ignition coils.

I would NOT touch this car myself.

Go with the one I PM'd you. See the link below. Others in this string can probably tell you better estimates but I would think you can get this car for $46 000. It was listed at $54 000 less than a month ago.

My understanding is that you can buy any car in the country thru your local dealer. Just make the deal with one you want and they will ship it to your dealer. Of,course, the shipping will cost you some.

It is at distance for you but a good "Gem" is worth waiting for a couple of days. This car is what I would buy if I was you, absolutely.

http://www.mypreownedmercedes.com/us...hf9bb7ca642935

Pristine 12-27-2013 12:30 PM

Arrie - thanks for your response. I'm also considering to stay away from this one since it seems that the previous owner got rid of it due to all the issues he/she experienced within last 12 months, especially the ongoing misfire issue with the Engine.

GregTR 12-27-2013 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Arrie (Post 5887334)
Go with the one I PM'd you. See the link below. Others in this string can probably tell you better estimates but I would think you can get this car for $46 000. It was listed at $54 000 less than a month ago.
http://www.mypreownedmercedes.com/us...hf9bb7ca642935

This car is loaded! If you get it you'll love the Distronic+!

Pristine 12-27-2013 01:43 PM

Arrie - forgot to mention, that car has great options, but it is outside my price range for a used car and I don't like the color combo. Thanks!

Arrie 12-27-2013 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Pristine (Post 5887399)
Arrie - thanks for your response. I'm also considering to stay away from this one since it seems that the previous owner got rid of it due to all the issues he/she experienced within last 12 months, especially the ongoing misfire issue with the Engine.

Good decision!

Now call the guys in Littleton and offer them $45 000 for the loaded E550. You would love that car and keep it longer than just 2 - 3 years, which itself represents huge savings in car purchases down the road. This car is so much fun it never gets old.

The car's factory warranty will run until 5/19/2016 and with the CPO it is covered until 5/19/2017 or 100000 miles. On top of this, if you like to keep it longer than 3 years you can purchase the 2-year MB warranty extension up to 135000 miles dating out 5/19/2019.

You cannot go wrong with this car. The Carfax shows they replaced the valve cover gasket. Big deal. It is just a house-keeping issue under the hood.

They also replaced the timing chain tensioner. I kind of remember there was a TSB or campaign for this on the Bi-turbo engines but can't be sure. Anyway, it is under warranty.

And just that everyone knows I have no connection with MB of Littleton at all. I just wanted to bring up my opinion as I made the mistake myself to buy a new E350 and was so disappointed to the lack of power that engine has. First it felt ok but became quite boring after a while. They say the new engines are so much better but they do not compare to the E550 engine, which also is improved in the 2012 and later models.

dkchips 12-27-2013 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Arrie (Post 5887484)
Good decision!

Now call the guys in Littleton and offer them $45 000 for the loaded E550. You would love that car and keep it longer than just 2 - 3 years, which itself represents huge savings in car purchases down the road. This car is so much fun it never gets old.

The car's factory warranty will run until 5/19/2016 and with the CPO it is covered until 5/19/2017 or 100000 miles. On top of this, if you like to keep it longer than 3 years you can purchase the 2-year MB warranty extension up to 135000 miles dating out 5/19/2019.

You cannot go wrong with this car. The Carfax shows they replaced the valve cover gasket. Big deal. It is just a house-keeping issue under the hood.

They also replaced the timing chain tensioner. I kind of remember there was a TSB or campaign for this on the Bi-turbo engines but can't be sure. Anyway, it is under warranty.

And just that everyone knows I have no connection with MB of Littleton at all. I just wanted to bring up my opinion as I made the mistake myself to buy a new E350 and was so disappointed to the lack of power that engine has. First it felt ok but became quite boring after a while. They say the new engines are so much better but they do not compare to the E550 engine, which also is improved in the 2012 and later models.

You are getting such good advice from all here
I suggest an offer of 42k and a 2 year CPO extension on the original MB warranty.
Also MB is offering 1,9% financing and the first 2 payments paid by MB right now on 2012 select MB

You cannot go wrong if they accept your offer
There are 100's of CPO 2012 E's out there and their value to a dealer drops every day that they are unsold

You will absolutely love the new 4.6 BiTurbo V 8
I do !!!!

C280 Sport 12-27-2013 06:59 PM

Used car vs new is always better I think. CPO is the way to go! Also I think the pre face lift looks better then post face lift.:y Just my opinion.

TheKandyman 12-28-2013 08:00 AM

You said you'd keep the car for 2 to 3 years and drive around 15k miles a year. A CPO would be a better value as others have suggested. I'd say find a 2012 E350 instead of a 2011. The 2012 has the same engine as the current production model, with more power and better gas mileage than the 2011 engine.

Pristine 01-02-2014 07:31 AM

Thanks to all who responded and provided excellent advice.

I ended up buying a new 2014 E350 couple of days ago. It is scheduled to be delivered today. With all the incentives, the price was very reasonable and that steered me to buy a new car instead of used. The car was MSRP @ $62k and I received $11k off of that. Overall good deal, but not as good as what others have received on this forum. The salesperson was saying that they are loosing money on this car, so I don't know how other dealers are pulling it off. My salesperson was awesome at Euromotorcars in Germantown - VERY VERY professional and helpful - even stayed past his time on New Years Eve to get the paperwork done and close the deal.

I got:
Obsidian black metallic with tan interior
Sport Package
Premium 1
Lane Tracking Package
Keyless Go

I haven't seen the car since it was at another dealership. One thing I'm curious to find out is whether it has dual 5-spoke AMG style rims or standard 5 spokes. I'm not sure if AMG rims come standard sometimes if it is not listed under Equipment/Accessories on dealer's website.

Overall very happy with the purchase and look forward to receiving it today!
Will post pictures afterwards.

Look forward to being in this part of the forum now. It is different around here compared to W204 :)

hyperion667 01-02-2014 07:58 AM

asking 45 for my '11 550.........would be glad to PM details if needed :)

J_T 01-02-2014 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Pristine (Post 5892527)
Thanks to all who responded and provided excellent advice.

I ended up buying a new 2014 E350 couple of days ago. It is scheduled to be delivered today. With all the incentives, the price was very reasonable and that steered me to buy a new car instead of used. The car was MSRP @ $62k and I received $11k off of that. Overall good deal, but not as good as what others have received on this forum. The salesperson was saying that they are loosing money on this car, so I don't know how other dealers are pulling it off. My salesperson was awesome at Euromotorcars in Germantown - VERY VERY professional and helpful - even stayed past his time on New Years Eve to get the paperwork done and close the deal.

I got:
Obsidian black metallic with tan interior
Sport Package
Premium 1
Lane Tracking Package
Keyless Go

I haven't seen the car since it was at another dealership. One thing I'm curious to find out is whether it has dual 5-spoke AMG style rims or standard 5 spokes. I'm not sure if AMG rims come standard sometimes if it is not listed under Equipment/Accessories on dealer's website.

Overall very happy with the purchase and look forward to receiving it today!
Will post pictures afterwards.

Look forward to being in this part of the forum now. It is different around here compared to W204 :)

Congrats on the new purchase. One thing I find funny is that the dealer went out of his way to trade for your car to lose money on it? :rolf: Salespeople will say anything.