E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Is once a CPO mean always a CPO?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E550
Is once a CPO mean always a CPO?

Been looking for an e550 and came across one that looks like it has been bounced around to various dealers in what I'm guessing is the same group. Here it is....

http://performancefordomaha.com/Omah...Benz&MakeId=30

The car fax says at one point it was declared a MB CPO.

My question....does the CPO stay with it even if it is at another dealer?

TIA,

BB
Old 01-03-2014, 11:05 PM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
15 AMG S63 4-matic coupe
CPO status is an extended warranty.
Instead of the original warranty of 4 yrs /50k it is 5 years and 100k.
so the MB warranty would not expire until 06/05/2015 based on original service date of 06/05/2010.
The warranty is transferable.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:23 PM

E550
Thanks boltonblue. Do you think this vehicle would qualify for the MB 1.99% and 2 payments incentive?
Old 01-04-2014, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 835 Likes on 604 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by boltonblue
CPO status is an extended warranty.
Instead of the original warranty of 4 yrs /50k it is 5 years and 100k.
so the MB warranty would not expire until 06/05/2015 based on original service date of 06/05/2010.
The warranty is transferable.
CPO status has become as a "warranty" status in all the "talk" but actually it is not. CPO means Certified Pre-Owned, which means that the car went thru the CPO inspection process to certify that the car is in good shape. CPO mandates certain parts to be at some limits, like if the brake pads/disks have worn below limits they will be replaced, same with tires. Also, if they find other worn out or defective components/parts they will be replaced. Essentially the car will be in "as new" condition after the process.

It just is a practice that MB dealers (MBUSA?) gives the one year extended limited warranty with cars that went thru the CPO process obviously to help sell these used cars.

You can extend this warranty up to 3 years / 135000 miles and yes, it follows the car.

Last edited by Arrie; 01-04-2014 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:17 PM

2015 ML250 Bluetec, 2014 GLK350
CPO comes with 1 year of extra limited warranty, on top of new car warranty, so one can say that a CPO car reflects some extended warranty.

That being said, CPO warranty is only transferable in a private sale from the owner who purchased the CPO car from a MB dealer to the new owner. Once car has been traded in to a dealer towards another car (or simply for cash) CPO warranty is waived. This is so by MB policy. Been there done that!

To answer OP's concern, the car was a CPO car at some point which means at that time it was deemed OK by MB and was restored to meet CPO's standards. However, since it has been bounced between dealers the CPO warranty is waived and cannot be exercised.

Last edited by MA-E320; 01-05-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MA-E320
CPO comes with 1 year of extra limited warranty, on top of new car warranty, so one can say that a CPO car reflects some extended warranty.

That being said, CPO warranty is only transferable in a private sale from the owner who purchased the CPO car from a MB dealer to the new owner. Once car has been traded in to a dealer towards another car (or simply for cash) CPO warranty is waived. This is so by MB policy. Been there done that!

To answer OP's concern, the car was a CPO car at some point which means at that time it was deemed OK by MB and was restored to meet CPO's standards. However, since it has been bounced between dealers the CPO warranty is waived and cannot be exercised.
I need to check on this again as I was told differently. A MB extended warranty is for the car and I don't think it can be cancelled just like that. A warranty certificate is given and I don't think it reads in it anything about the warranty being cancelled if the car is traded in.

I know the pre-paid maintenance is cancelled when the owner of the car changes. It is for the owner but the warranty is for the car.

It would not make any sense to cancel it anyway as the dealer can sell the used car with extra protection without doing anything to the car...

Last edited by Arrie; 01-05-2014 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:57 AM

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts
2021 Mojave Silver E450, BRG Jaguar F-pace S, 2011 335d (RIP), 2010 E350 (sold)
I am fairly certain that MA-E350 is correct, the warranty from a CPO car will transfer in private party sales, but not when sold/traded in to a dealer. I can't remember if it does transfer if it is transferred if it is sold to an MB dealer though. I found a weak reference to this on mbusa.com under CPO. There is a more detailed description in the CPO documentation but I wasn't able to find it.
Attached Thumbnails Is once a CPO mean always a CPO?-cpo_warr_xfer.jpg  
Old 01-06-2014, 08:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ddeliber
I am fairly certain that MA-E350 is correct, the warranty from a CPO car will transfer in private party sales, but not when sold/traded in to a dealer. I can't remember if it does transfer if it is transferred if it is sold to an MB dealer though. I found a weak reference to this on mbusa.com under CPO. There is a more detailed description in the CPO documentation but I wasn't able to find it.
Here is a link to explain some of the Extended warranty:

http://extendedlimitedwarranty.merce...rranty-faq#Q12

I does not say that the extended limited warranty expires when the car is sold. It does not make any note that it would cancel if sold to a dealer. Now, this does not mean that the dealer cannot cancel it, which would not make any sense though as with a warranty the used car would be easier to sell.
Also, most people trading their cars in would probably cancel the warranty for the unused part as you can do that.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:39 AM

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts
2021 Mojave Silver E450, BRG Jaguar F-pace S, 2011 335d (RIP), 2010 E350 (sold)
Ok, I looked through some stuff and I found the CPO warranty pdf from Mercedes. On page 18 it states:

"If you transfer or sell your vehicle to a Private Party Purchaser*, the remaining benefits under the Mercedes-Benz Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty can be transferred to the new owner.
(If, however, the vehicle is sold to a Dealer or other vehicle reseller, the warranty terminates.)
To complete the transfer to a Private Party Purchaser:
• Provide the Mercedes-Benz Service
Booklet and Mercedes-Benz Service and
Warranty Information booklet for the
vehicle to the Private Party Purchaser.
• Complete and send to MBUSA the
“Notice of Address Change or Change
of Ownership” card in the center of
this booklet.

Edit: I just noticed the date in the doc is in 08. I am not sure if anything has changed since then. But this is what was told to me in 2012 when I bought my e350. I know that BMW offers full transferability of their extended warranties, perhaps Mercedes changed their policy to match.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
CPO Warranty.pdf (667.3 KB, 209 views)

Last edited by ddeliber; 01-06-2014 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:23 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Car free at the moment
Originally Posted by Arrie
Here is a link to explain some of the Extended warranty:

http://extendedlimitedwarranty.merce...rranty-faq#Q12

I does not say that the extended limited warranty expires when the car is sold. It does not make any note that it would cancel if sold to a dealer. Now, this does not mean that the dealer cannot cancel it, which would not make any sense though as with a warranty the used car would be easier to sell.
Also, most people trading their cars in would probably cancel the warranty for the unused part as you can do that.
ELW is not CPO, they are two different things. The ELW is simply an extended warranty purchased by the (original?) owner of the car. As discussed, CPO involves inspections, reconditioning, and a warranty applied to a used car sold by an MB dealer. I am certain that CPO warranty is transferrable only via private party sale. Any CPO car that is traded through any dealer (MB or otherwise) causes the CPO warranty to be cancelled.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:36 PM

E550
Here's the response I received from MB......
Dear Mr.XXX:

Thank you for your email to Mercedes Benz USA.

While Mercedes Benz corporate would like to assist you, we cannot confirm that this particular vehicle would qualify as a Certified Pre-Owned. The certification process would be done at the dealership where the vehicle is physically located. Therefore, we recommend that you speak to the dealership offering this vehicle for any information, including financing, as they would be in the best position to assist.

We appreciate the opportunity to respond.

Sincerely,

Marion L.
Mercedes-Benz USA
(800) 367-6372
Old 01-08-2014, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Shadow5501
ELW is not CPO, they are two different things. The ELW is simply an extended warranty purchased by the (original?) owner of the car. As discussed, CPO involves inspections, reconditioning, and a warranty applied to a used car sold by an MB dealer. I am certain that CPO warranty is transferrable only via private party sale. Any CPO car that is traded through any dealer (MB or otherwise) causes the CPO warranty to be cancelled.
I am not the original owner of my car but I was able to buy a 2-year extension to the one year ELW that the car came with as it was a CPO used car.

I am of the opinion that the CPO warranty is the same warranty as the Extended Limited Warranty is. MB just gives the 1-year version of it with the CPO used car sales obviously to make used car sales easier.

They may call it a CPO warranty but I'm pretty sure it is the Extended Limited Warranty and NOT the same as the original factory warranty that covers 4years/50000 miles, i.e. it does not cover the car quite as well as the original warranty.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:55 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Car free at the moment
Originally Posted by Arrie
I am not the original owner of my car but I was able to buy a 2-year extension to the one year ELW that the car came with as it was a CPO used car.

I am of the opinion that the CPO warranty is the same warranty as the Extended Limited Warranty is. MB just gives the 1-year version of it with the CPO used car sales obviously to make used car sales easier.

They may call it a CPO warranty but I'm pretty sure it is the Extended Limited Warranty and NOT the same as the original factory warranty that covers 4years/50000 miles, i.e. it does not cover the car quite as well as the original warranty.
Well, you are sort of right and sort of wrong. If you search on "Mercedes ELW" and "Mercedes CPO" you will arrive at two different locations on the MBUSA website. The ELW page describes 1 year/75K mile ,2 year/100K mile, and 3 year/125K mile extended warranties that can be purchased while a car is under factory warranty.

The CPO site describes the CPO process and the 1 year CPO warranty placed on such certified cars. It also describes the ability to purchase 1 year/120K mile and 2 year/135K mile extension "CPO Extended Limited Warranty" for such cars. A CPO car may or may not be under the original factory warranty at the time it is certified. You are correct in that the CPO warranty is not as comprehensive as the original factory warranty (though it is quite good).

So what you have is two similarly named products that provide similar, but not identical, coverage. I wonder if MB USA stayed up late figuring out how to make it this complicated...