MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   Considering a 2010 E350.... (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/527244-considering-2010-e350.html)

JonG89 01-12-2014 05:10 PM

Considering a 2010 E350....

Greetings and thanks for taking the time to read this post.

I am considering a 2010 E350 with 27,000 miles and about six months of remaining factory warranty. I've been servicing my own vehicles successfully for more than 30 years but have never owned a Mercedes-Benz. I am concerned about the potential difficulty for self-servicing this car. That said, we own two 2006 Jaguars so I am familiar with wrenching on cars that can be tempermental and somewhat difficult.

From my research this weekend, it appears that Mercedes-Benz tends to be very proprietary with their service documentation making it quite difficult for the typical DIY owner to gain access to the information needed to routinely service these cars. Reading through the E350's Owners Manual, it quickly becomes evident that Mercedes-Benz expects all owners to bring their cars into the dealership for anything beyond filling up the windshield washer fluid reservoir. Sorry M-B, but I won't be doing that.

I would humbly appreciate any input from those of you who DIY your own service on these W212 E-Class cars. Where can I find the necessary service manuals or CD-ROM documentation, and what special scan tools or systems are required?

Just as I could not service our two Jaguars without the guidance from my much-appreciated Jaguar forum, I know I will feel the same way regarding this Mercedes-Benz forum if I decide to purchase this E350.

Thanks again for your kind assistance....

champaign777 01-12-2014 06:55 PM

yap MB is not like BMW or any other car but with right manual it is not a problem at all
you will need to get something like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Benz-ALL-MODELS-1986-2013-Factory-Service-Repair-Manual-Workshop-DVD-/111236265734?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AE350&hash=item19e632b706&vxp=mtrto be able to do any work on these cars

it has EPC ( Electronic Parts Catalog - simple part # ) and WIS ( workshop information system - simple step by step for DIY )

I did my rear brakes recemtly here is example how WIS looks like

https://mbworld.org/forums/5868689-post55.html

GL and welcome to MB forum !

JonG89 01-13-2014 08:44 AM

Thanks for your input. I'm still doing my research and have not yet made a decision on whether I will make an offer for the car. All information is helpful, and I hope others will add to this thread. Thanks again....

Arrie 01-13-2014 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by JonG89 (Post 5905453)
Thanks for your input. I'm still doing my research and have not yet made a decision on whether I will make an offer for the car. All information is helpful, and I hope others will add to this thread. Thanks again....

You definitely need service manuals for the car but after that I don't think it is too much different to service compared to other cars.
And I think service manuals can be purchased from MB also.

JonG89 01-13-2014 10:24 AM

Thanks for your input....

Khan28 01-14-2014 07:32 PM

Service manuals + the DIYs available here would mean you could easily service your car. Air filter, MAF and TB cleaning, spark plugs, oil/filter, brakes, belts, pulleys, bushings, fuel filter and door components among others can easily be done at home. The fact that the E350s don't have airmatic (at least here in Canada) makes your car more reliable and surprisingly these Benzes are easier than some Japanese cars to work on.

JonG89 01-14-2014 07:54 PM

Thanks for your input.

I'm still on the fence with this car. The MB-Tex interior rather than leather continues to bother me. All of our vehicles during the past 20 years have had leather interiors. Leather breathes, and if it is properly cared for it will last for decades (just as MB-Tex supposedly does)....

Khan28 01-15-2014 06:39 PM

I honestly don't see the issue with MB TEX. I'm a fan of it because my car is 8 years old and there are no wrinkles or cracks on any of the seats. The clean up is easy, I use all purpose cleaner and then 303 Aerospace to protect it. The leather seats in my Dad's Acura TL are more luxurious looking and feeling but I don't see the breathing aspect to it, they're all hot at first to me lol. I'm willing to bet 9/10 people that get in a MB with the leatherette seats will think it's leather.

JonG89 01-16-2014 09:04 AM

Thanks for your input.

You are correct when you state that most folks would believe that MB-Tex is leather (and many independent dealerships selling pre-owned E-Class cars actually say in their ads that these seats are leather). But I don't like plastic seats, and we've had great experience with leather car seats and leather furniture because I know how to care for it.

I'm still doing my research, but I'm leaning more and more towards keeping my Jaguar S-Type for a few more years....

stale-bread 01-16-2014 09:48 AM

If leather really means that much to you then don't settle for MB-Tex., or sometimes referred to as MB-Taxi. This is what MB uses for their taxi fleet. It's more durable, easier to clean, and costs less to produce. If you are going to drop around 35k for a vehicle, and later you've decided you bought the wrong seats, you will be reminded every time you open the door. Keep shopping until you find what suits you. Holding onto the Jag for a few months longer is not a bad trade off. :)

drsaab 01-16-2014 10:54 AM

I have a 2010 with full leather, they do exist, just keep looking. Probably a P2 car for sure would help narrow your search for one with full leather.

Much easier to service and more reliable than a Jaguar.

JonG89 01-16-2014 11:00 AM

Thanks for the input, both of you....

For the record, my Jaguar S-Type has been very reliable and relatively easy to service once I learned my way around the various components and acquired a few more tools I had not previously needed (like a more comprehensive Torx bit set). 81,000 miles and going strong....

KEY08 01-16-2014 02:10 PM

Step up to the E550 and get leather. :) I am not a fan of MBtex

JonG89 01-16-2014 02:56 PM

Thanks for your input.

For now I'm going to stick with my Jaguar S-Type. Strictly a financial decision - it makes much more sense from a cost/benefit standpoint to just keep driving it. So that's what I'll do.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. Perhaps I'll be back at some point down the road....

Khan28 01-19-2014 12:25 PM

Makes sense. The Jag isn't worth much on the market today so if it's in nice shape, drives good and doesn't cost you much to service then to keep driving it is sensible. I've never driven an S Type but I have taken a ride in an LWB 1999 Jaguar XJ and it was really comfy. The Benz, especially in sport trim, will ride a bit firmer though it makes the handling quite competent.

JonG89 01-20-2014 08:26 AM

My S-Type is indeed in great shape and thus far has been very cost-effective to DIY maintain (I purchased it in December 2008 for about a third of what it stickered for when new). It still delivers a smooth ride and is actually much more fun to drive than the boxier E350. So I'm sticking with it for the time being....

ngerstman 01-20-2014 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by JonG89 (Post 5913630)
My S-Type is indeed in great shape and thus far has been very cost-effective to DIY maintain (I purchased it in December 2008 for about a third of what it stickered for when new). It still delivers a smooth ride and is actually much more fun to drive than the boxier E350. So I'm sticking with it for the time being....

They are actually stunning looking cars, a classic Jaguar in all respects. A co-worker of mine had a 2000 in a light green color with a white interior that was beautiful. He traded it two years ago for the new If Jaguar. I think the look of your car will live forever, truly a classic! Enjoy. Regards. Ned.

JonG89 01-20-2014 10:24 AM

Thanks for the compliments. I hope I can keep this 2005 S-Type for several more years. We'll see....