MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   4Matic-- Good job (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/528328-4matic-good-job.html)

Case1906 01-21-2014 02:22 PM

4Matic-- Good job

I'm really getting a chance to use the 4Matic on my W212 this winter and it works well in the snow and heavy rain. We are in the middle of a Snowzilla today in Maryland and I just drove through some pretty dicey conditions on the way home. My experience has always been with rear wheel drive E's and this is night and day as it should be. I don't know how 4Matic compares with Quattro or X-Drive. Anyway--Just a testimonial, because I actually made it home without ending up in a ditch.

GabrielNov 01-21-2014 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Case1906 (Post 5915220)
I'm really getting a chance to use the 4Matic on my W212 this winter and it works well in the snow and heavy rain. We are in the middle of a Snowzilla today in Maryland and I just drove through some pretty dicey conditions on the way home. My experience has always been with rear wheel drive E's and this is night and day as it should be. I don't know how 4Matic compares with Quattro or X-Drive. Anyway--Just a testimonial, because I actually made it home without ending up in a ditch.

What type of tire set up? With winters it is phenomenal you will cut through just about everything (besides unplowed parking areas).

Even without winters if you go ultra slow, you should have no issues but slippage happens. I heard the Quattro is king, but I cannot attest.

Quadcammer 01-21-2014 02:47 PM

My s500 4matic is a beast in snow with new all season. Unplowed parking lot with 8+"? no problem. Airmatic on high and go for it.

C280 Sport 01-21-2014 03:08 PM

I love the 4Matic on our W212 and W203. Good set of tires and 4Matic makes winter driving safe and fun.

Mbenz260e 01-21-2014 03:19 PM

About to hit the VA/MD roads with the RWD BTC...wish me luck...

KEY08 01-21-2014 03:32 PM

The 4Matic system is incredible. I'm on my second and once you have it, it is tough to go back to 2WD.

Mbenz260e 01-21-2014 03:40 PM

Yeah the 4matic system on our SUVs have been impressive. BTC which I love though got me into the RWD.

spyked 01-21-2014 03:50 PM

I just made it from Reston to Arlington in my RWD featherweight. Only saw the traction control light once (at take off from green light).

I was expecting so much worse! Happy to be wrong.

Mbenz260e 01-21-2014 03:52 PM

Thanks good to hear. Trying to get out of here, Alexandria to Rockville but traffic.com makes it looks pretty good right now?

spyked 01-21-2014 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mbenz260e (Post 5915334)
Thanks good to hear. Trying to get out of here, Alexandria to Rockville but traffic.com makes it looks pretty good right now?

Roads are fine. Side roads obviously depend on plows, but highways were fine for me (toll road and 66). I'm sure the beltway and 270 is fine.

Visibility is the issue :( Be careful.

Case1906 01-21-2014 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by GabrielNov (Post 5915235)
What type of tire set up? With winters it is phenomenal you will cut through just about everything (besides unplowed parking areas).

Even without winters if you go ultra slow, you should have no issues but slippage happens. I heard the Quattro is king, but I cannot attest.

I'm running the PZero Nero All-Seasons which work well for me for this car.

stale-bread 01-21-2014 04:52 PM

I'm bracing for the same storm arriving now in Boston. You are correct about the handling. Just put on a set of Conti-Pro's DWS a few weeks ago ahead of the last storm. Its excellent in the snow!

My X-Drive was just as good as well. Never had a Quattro.

sleewell 01-21-2014 05:51 PM

4matic is amazing. i didn't have it last winter and have it now and its been a noticeable improvement, i am sold for life. i love it.

drsaab 01-21-2014 07:14 PM

I was just out in Vienna in a 4 matic. I kind of miss slipping around a little. Just for fun it's nice to kick out the tail a bit. Roads will be real fun in the morning after the 3 degree low predicted! Will have some real good ice. 2 + hr commute ahead :(

MBNUT1 01-21-2014 07:50 PM

:naughty:

I had a E3504matic and have had for a long time a '98 A4 quattro. I found the 4matic to be more stable. On the same turn snowy turn that I comfortably negotiated with the 4matic the rear end on the A4 wanted to break away. The A4 would make a better rally car I guess.

MA-E320 01-21-2014 08:52 PM

Just came home in the middle of the storm in my 4Matic. I have Conti Extreme DWS. It is AMAZING. Didn't slip, din't spin and it just plows ahead. I haven't seen the need for snow tires in my 4Matic. I am sure it gives you more surety, however I am fine with all seasons. Again, it is my choice :-).

BenzV12 01-22-2014 04:46 AM

Great to hear such reviews, I know RWD is more enjoy to drive namely on non tarmac roads but I would love to have a 4MATIC as well

Munich77 01-22-2014 06:19 AM

I would not have bought the car if I could not get 4 matic. Both my wife and I only drive AWD. What sold me was the first drive in my then BMW 535 xi - it was the first weekend and in a major rain storm. The car did not slide at all. Th 4matic is even better from what I can tell.

Pristine 01-22-2014 08:26 AM

It was 6 degrees this morning with solid and packed snow covered roads. My 4Matic did not spin or slide even once. I felt very much in control and confident while driving it.

Mbenz260e 01-22-2014 11:52 AM

Luckily the RWD made it back and forth in DMV area, but yeah not as much confidence as you guys...

faz999 01-22-2014 04:59 PM

chicagoland - lots of snow very cold single digit - my very first 4matic

i have always had rear wheel drive and i am so surprise how this thing handle control safety if i knew what 4matic did i think i would have never bought a RWD E350

Yes it has original Cont pro tires and believe me 6 inch snow plowed through no spinning

black ice at night it handle perfectly i must say congrats to Mercedes and Continental deserve thumbs up for safety and i will not think twice going out in a winter storm..

boltonblue 01-22-2014 09:20 PM

I wasn't super pleased with the factory rubber ( Perelli) this E had on it when I picked it up.
Tail end kept wanting to lead in the sloppy stuff under deceleration.
Last night I had the Michelin PA4's put on and got a chance to play in the snow on the way home.
Viva la difference. it's wunderbar! Suddenly 4-matic feels solid and planted in the sloppy snow and ice. :D

GabrielNov 01-23-2014 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by boltonblue (Post 5917010)
I wasn't super pleased with the factory rubber ( Perelli) this E had on it when I picked it up.
Tail end kept wanting to lead in the sloppy stuff under deceleration.
Last night I had the Michelin PA4's put on and got a chance to play in the snow on the way home.
Viva la difference. it's wunderbar! Suddenly 4-matic feels solid and planted in the sloppy snow and ice. :D

amazing isn't it.. comparing this to my 2012 BMW X5 the 4 matic takes the cake (might be my hakkapiileta (sp) tire set up) but Benz did a great job.

I tested it out on an open industrial road with turns/curves. I was able to hit 45-50mph and maintain great traction. Reduce that to real road speeds 20-30mph in winter and you are unstoppable.

Ground clearance is our only concern, I have the 350 as the daily driver and sucks I could not get suspension height adjustment.

justdonating 02-15-2014 08:14 AM

I swear by 4MATIC. Will always have it. Only use it 3-4 times a year but love having it when I need it.

Munich77 02-15-2014 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by justdonating (Post 5943205)
I swear by 4MATIC. Will always have it. Only use it 3-4 times a year but love having it when I need it.

I totally agree. I will always have an AWD car. The traction is just awesome.