MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   Rear differential oil change (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/535573-rear-differential-oil-change.html)

pamiboy 03-24-2014 10:41 AM

Rear differential oil change

Hi, I have now finished 2000 miles with my new car.:zoom: I vaguely remember the sales person mentioning that I should have the rear differential oil changed at 2000 miles. But the service indicator doesn't show another service till the 10,000 mark. I checked the manual, it says service for AMG 4 Matic at 2000 miles. What's the consensus here? Should I do it or not? If yes Then would it be covered by maintenance plan? Thanks

konigstiger 03-24-2014 12:53 PM

Required service for e63 (code 471 on sheet) should be included in plan see service sheet here https://mbworld.org/forums/5977454-post28.html

pamiboy 03-24-2014 12:56 PM

But does it matter that my car is a regular 4 Matic , (not an AMG model)....

benyl 03-24-2014 12:57 PM

only AMGs with the LSD require this change. AMGs without LSD don't. Non AMGs don't need the change either. Fire your salesperson.

hyperion667 03-24-2014 01:34 PM

:)

JoelE55 03-24-2014 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by benyl (Post 5983958)
only AMGs with the LSD require this change. AMGs without LSD don't. Non AMGs don't need the change either. Fire your salesperson.

Agreed!! Your saleman need to be re-train! :smash:

pamiboy 03-24-2014 03:23 PM

I just rechecked with the sales person and he now says no oil change needed till 10,000 miles. But the tires need to be rotated at 5000 miles though. Maybe I misunderstood what he said initially.

JoelE55 03-24-2014 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by pamiboy (Post 5984163)
I just rechecked with the sales person and he now says no oil change needed till 10,000 miles. But the tires need to be rotated at 5000 miles though. Maybe I misunderstood what he said initially.

Do a quick walk through to see if you have difference sizes on tires. If you have stagger wheels (front is smaller than the rear), then you can't rotate them!! BTW, where did they get this salesman? :slap:

benyl 03-24-2014 04:12 PM

According to the maintenance manual, you never have to change it. It is for LSD equipped cars only every 40,000 miles.

http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalA...ce_Booklet.pdf

GregTR 03-24-2014 08:27 PM

Need might be a strong word... I never rotated my tires on any of my AWD cars and they still wore pretty evenly. The cost of rotating (both time and money as well as the risk of breaking something in the process) far outweigh the benefits for most owners. On RWD with staggered wheels you can't rotate them, period.

pamiboy 03-24-2014 10:12 PM

As far as I know all my wheels are of the same size. So no tire rotation is needed either. That's fine with me. I also read somewhere in the manual / internet that tire rotation is not mandatory for AWD cars. This is getting funnier. May be my salesperson is having a bad day and he is just making up something to continue the conversation. LOL.

hyperion667 03-25-2014 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by GregTR (Post 5984519)
Need might be a strong word... I never rotated my tires on any of my AWD cars and they still wore pretty evenly. The cost of rotating (both time and money as well as the risk of breaking something in the process) far outweigh the benefits for most owners. On RWD with staggered wheels you can't rotate them, period.

it's a free service, and extends the tire life......
why is a=it a waste of time? it takes about 20 minutes for a good tech to rotate AND rebalance the wheels

GregTR 03-25-2014 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by hyperion667 (Post 5984913)
it's a free service, and extends the tire life......
why is a=it a waste of time? it takes about 20 minutes for a good tech to rotate AND rebalance the wheels

First of all it's not free, at least not at every dealer.

Second of all, it takes me 20 minutes to get to the dealer, 20 minutes of rotation, 20 minutes to get back, that's an hour of my time I'll never get back never mind the cost of driving there and back. Same goes with the free carwash my dealer offers for life. It's free as long as you have two hours to sit in the lounge and wait for them to wash your car. I rather just pay $5 down the street on my way home...

Otherwise: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w166...ml#post5539444

Based on my last 3 AWD vehicles which I never rotated tires on I say I will never rotate tires on my cars. It's not worth it even if it's "free".

It's not even part of the mandatory maintenance only the recommended maintenance per MB. And their exact words are:

"A 5,000-mile recommended tire rotation
interval will likely necessitate tire rotation
at least once in between each 10,000-mile
maintenance service and at every 10,000-
mile maintenance service."

Basically it says "if we get them hooked on the absurdity of 5k rotations we can get them to do it even more often and make even more money off of it".

Bottom line: don't do it!

Tjdehya 03-25-2014 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by GregTR (Post 5984989)

lol, what?
It is also not "necessary" to eat healthy, exercise, or visit a doctor for regular check-ups. People just do it in an effort to "extend" their expected life.

My argument against tire rotation has always been that I will never pay for it. Any money that I would spend on the rotation I would rather put that towards new tires. I would rather ride on new tires than to extend the amount of time I ride on old tires. I dont go out of my way to get them rotated but I will get them done when offered for free.

So back to my analogy... your "don't do it" statement is just... retar... stu... :crazy:

GregTR 03-25-2014 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Tjdehya (Post 5985039)
lol, what?
It is also not "necessary" to eat healthy, exercise, or visit a doctor for regular check-ups. People just do it in an effort to "extend" their expected life.

My argument against tire rotation has always been that I will never pay for it. Any money that I would spend on the rotation I would rather put that towards new tires. I would rather ride on new tires than to extend the amount of time I ride on old tires. I dont go out of my way to get them rotated but I will get them done when offered for free.

So back to my analogy... your "don't do it" statement is just... retar... stu... :crazy:

I guess you missed the entire part about the cost/risk/benefit analysis and only read the conclusion... :crazy:

Your analogy doesn't stand BTW. The benefit of exercise far outweigh the cost.

Tjdehya 03-25-2014 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by GregTR (Post 5985044)
I guess you missed the entire part about the cost/risk/benefit analysis and only read the conclusion... :crazy:

Your analogy doesn't stand BTW. The benefit of exercise far outweigh the cost.

My analogy is based solely on the word "necessary" and my reply was based solely on your conclusion. :word:

hyperion667 03-25-2014 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by GregTR (Post 5984989)
First of all it's not free, at least not at every dealer.

Second of all, it takes me 20 minutes to get to the dealer, 20 minutes of rotation, 20 minutes to get back, that's an hour of my time I'll never get back never mind the cost of driving there and back. Same goes with the free carwash my dealer offers for life. It's free as long as you have two hours to sit in the lounge and wait for them to wash your car. I rather just pay $5 down the street on my way home...

Otherwise: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w166...ml#post5539444

Based on my last 3 AWD vehicles which I never rotated tires on I say I will never rotate tires on my cars. It's not worth it even if it's "free".

It's not even part of the mandatory maintenance only the recommended maintenance per MB. And their exact words are:

"A 5,000-mile recommended tire rotation
interval will likely necessitate tire rotation
at least once in between each 10,000-mile
maintenance service and at every 10,000-
mile maintenance service."

Basically it says "if we get them hooked on the absurdity of 5k rotations we can get them to do it even more often and make even more money off of it".

all my wheel work is done at discount tire, and yes, they rotate and balance free for life.....I also spend a lot of money there :)

stale-bread 03-25-2014 10:32 PM

If it's free then swap/rotate. I have AWD with non staggered and I will rotate at 6k free via Direct Tire. When you make an appt. ahead of time, you are in and out in 20 mins. Plus I live 4 mins. away from them. No Brainer. The Free Car wash Greg mentions is certainly not worth my time as well. My dealership offers this, and all it does is put you in the showroom for the sales people.

raja777m 03-19-2020 11:04 AM

yay, I've been recommended this service on my 2013 E350 4Matic. And it is due every 40k miles and was due at 80k miles - currently at 85k miles.

MB of South Charlotte. I've asked her if it is covered under the PPM where I had my 80k miles. She said, she couldn't see in detail what service was done.

Other ones are:
1. My tires are FL (4), FR(3), RL(3), RR(4). which are funky wear and the technician recommends:

When called, my SA said, he recommended it along with the replacement of the tires. Also, I reminded them my wheels are aligned twice (once in December 2019 and once in January 2020). As they replaced one strut at a time in the front.
2. Tires - mount and balance - 1350$

3. Technician recommends Fuel Service around 350$
Meaning: The FS is basically where the technician goes in and puts in a fuel injection cleaner to the fuel system, so that it cleans carbon build up out of the system. Especially out from around the injectors and the intake valves.

Recommendations

Perform 4-Wheel Alignment $179.95
Mount and balance 4 new tires $1,257.00
Perform fuel injection service $342.41
Remove and Replace rear differential fluid $244.95

ghlkal 03-19-2020 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by raja777m (Post 8011744)

So, are you planning on having this done?

Arrie 03-19-2020 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by raja777m (Post 8011744)
yay, I've been recommended this service on my 2013 E350 4Matic. And it is due every 40k miles and was due at 80k miles - currently at 85k miles.

MB of South Charlotte. I've asked her if it is covered under the PPM where I had my 80k miles. She said, she couldn't see in detail what service was done.

Other ones are:
1. My tires are FL (4), FR(3), RL(3), RR(4). which are funky wear and the technician recommends:

When called, my SA said, he recommended it along with the replacement of the tires. Also, I reminded them my wheels are aligned twice (once in December 2019 and once in January 2020). As they replaced one strut at a time in the front.
2. Tires - mount and balance - 1350$

3. Technician recommends Fuel Service around 350$
Meaning: The FS is basically where the technician goes in and puts in a fuel injection cleaner to the fuel system, so that it cleans carbon build up out of the system. Especially out from around the injectors and the intake valves.

Recommendations

What is due every 40 000 miles? Certainly not differential fluid change.

Forget fuel injector service unless you are under warranty.

MB does not even have differential fluid service in the maintenance schedule. They think it is good for life. I had mine done at around 160 000 miles.

For alignment I wonder what they will align as the only thing the dealer can do is the toe adjustment in the front.

raja777m 03-20-2020 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by ghlkal (Post 8012261)
So, are you planning on having this done?

Lol, no. I just wanted to share with you guys.

raja777m 03-20-2020 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Arrie (Post 8012291)
What is due every 40 000 miles? Certainly not differential fluid change.

Forget fuel injector service unless you are under warranty.

MB does not even have differential fluid service in the maintenance schedule. They think it is good for life. I had mine done at around 160 000 miles.

For alignment I wonder what they will align as the only thing the dealer can do is the toe adjustment in the front.

im still under warranty, you think the fuel injector service is needed?

cetialpha5 03-20-2020 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by raja777m (Post 8012389)
im still under warranty, you think the fuel injector service is needed?

Only if your wallet is too thick and it needs to be lighter. You should be fine with just using top tier gas.

raja777m 03-20-2020 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by cetialpha5 (Post 8012489)
Only if your wallet is too thick and it needs to be lighter. You should be fine with just using top tier gas.

You might be looking at my shiny Benz and think my wallet is fat. No, it is not :rolf: