E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Black Beauty is here!

Old 04-09-2014, 08:06 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Black Beauty is here!

Just picked up this bad boy! Transitioning from the chestnut leather back to MB-tex for upcoming summer was easier than I thought. I'm still getting use to the Distronic but the surround view is awesome (fun to turn this function on at low speeds to have full surround view)! Does anyone know how to work the distronic at low range speeds? I recall that the car can follow a turning car that is in front. Do I need to turn on a blinker or is there some sort of setting for this? Also, does it have a semi Stop'n'Go function or do I need to up it to an S class to get this?

Old 04-09-2014, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E550
A very pretty car. Enjoy!
Old 04-09-2014, 09:51 PM

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
2002 E430 (totaled at 230k miles), 2002 E55 AMG, 2001 CLK430--SOLD, 1997 C230
Looks nice...more pictures, please!
Old 04-09-2014, 10:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,320 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Nice

Getting rid of my 2014 e550 this week, enjoy
Old 04-09-2014, 10:22 PM

2013 E350
Dood how many E-classe's do you have !?
Old 04-09-2014, 10:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SLpat
A very pretty car. Enjoy!
Thanks! Sadly, it still doesn't beat the AMG version I see every morning on my drive to work. I can't handle that horsepower!

Originally Posted by Bowyer
Looks nice...more pictures, please!
Thank you! I'll post two more shots I took this morning with the phone. It's definitely not fun trying to post pics on forums!

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Nice

Getting rid of my 2014 e550 this week, enjoy

No way! More issues? :/ You should get a Tesla ^_^ I've heard nothing but love from owners!

Originally Posted by eNNCity
Dood how many E-classe's do you have !?
Currently, two! I swapped this out with the Diamond white. I originally wanted to get a new S class or a 14 SL550 after the diamond white, but with a dog and no kids (holding this off as much as possible) I thought sticking with a mid size sedan would be best as it's always treated me well.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:50 PM
Banned

Here's a picture with my diamond white today. Since I drive back and forth to Houston for family and business I'm excited to use the Distronic (that's IF I know how to use it correctly).

Old 04-09-2014, 11:06 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
2020 Mercedes-Benz GLE 450; 2010 Chevy Corvette Convertible
Great looking car ... I currently have a 2012 in black on black with Distronic ... And I love it when driving to Galveston from Dallas to catch a cruise ship. I can go just the about the whole way without kicking off the cruise control.

So I'm guessing you like the 2014? I'm wrestling with what I do when my lease is up later this year.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:07 PM

2010 E550 4matic
The problem with Distronic is not how to use it (it is extremely intuitive) --the problem is getting into another car after and forgetting it doesn't have it!

Only being half funny here--I've had an E550 with Distronic for 4 years now and just picked up a 2004 Sl55. Almost wrecked the SL as well as myself by slamming into the car in front of with cruise control on in the SL. (P.S. Don't need lectures from the gallery about depending too much upon technology).
Old 04-09-2014, 11:31 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
2020 Mercedes-Benz GLE 450; 2010 Chevy Corvette Convertible
Interesting comment, Mercedes George ... I've said that I don't want a car without Distronic after getting used to it ... You just affirmed that thought, ... Thanks!
Old 04-10-2014, 01:25 AM
Banned

I just checked on the car. Apparently since I have either the Driver Assistance package or the Parking Assist Package, the lights underneath my sidemirrors are white instead of the yellow on my previous two 2014 E classes. Learn something new everyday.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:36 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Damn man, you must have a record for the amount of E's had! I had two of them in a row and made a vow to myself to never get the same car twice.... getting even more than that I feel like one is missing out on so many different experiences, not to mention how much more a car feels "new" when it's your first time getting it, variety, etc. But if a car is still the ideal pick to you, especially at the right price.... then whaddaya gonna do. I'm battling this same issue as my Lease being up (24 month) draws near.

Why'd you get out of your white one so soon?
Old 04-10-2014, 10:58 AM

2011 E550
I am glad to hear everyone likes the Distronic so much. I am going on a long drive next week (Houston to Atlanta) and looking forward to trying it out. I figured I would give the manual a quick review - I don't want to wreck the car before I get out of Houston...
Old 04-10-2014, 01:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 Mercedes-Benz E350 (luxury)
Beautiful car! Get a clear bra installed on that bad boy asap. With the black paint and lots of highway miles, it'll look like you sprayed it with bird-shot in short order.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 834 Likes on 603 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by K-A
Damn man, you must have a record for the amount of E's had! I had two of them in a row and made a vow to myself to never get the same car twice.... getting even more than that I feel like one is missing out on so many different experiences, not to mention how much more a car feels "new" when it's your first time getting it, variety, etc. But if a car is still the ideal pick to you, especially at the right price.... then whaddaya gonna do. I'm battling this same issue as my Lease being up (24 month) draws near.

HA!!!!

K-A is coming back to MB soon, perhaps not to the space ship looking new E but to MB anyway...
Old 04-10-2014, 06:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'19 MBZ E450 Wagon, '19 BMW 530e
Originally Posted by Arrie
HA!!!!

K-A is coming back to MB soon, perhaps not to the space ship looking new E but to MB anyway...
I am betting on 550i or 640i GC because deals are so good.
It will take a really good 9Geeeeee-Tronic transmission bring him back from the darkside
Old 04-10-2014, 08:31 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 E350 Wagon
It seems like you just got that white one the other day, about a week before I got my wagon. I have 12,000 miles on mine now, did my first oil change/service by myself at home. The Distronic + is indeed amazing and I would not want another car without it. You're absolutely going to love it! It is very intuitive.

In stop&go traffic it will do stop&go as long as speeds are under 18 mph and the stops are not longer than 3 seconds. If the speed goes above 18mph you will have to have your hands on the steering wheel and if stops are longer than 3 seconds you will have to either push on the accelerator or on the Distronic stalk to get going again. Up to 35 mph the car will follow the vehicle in front of it regardless of line markings as well but no, it will not take a right turn on its own. Under 18 mph it's fully autonomous without any user interaction.

I also like the ECO-Stop implementation with Distronic+. The engine will shut off but as soon as it recognizes that the car in front of you moves it starts the engine up automatically before you'd push the throttle.

The only thing I don't like is that the system does not have 6th sense which means it will rather brake than coast up to a slower car when you see that there is no way to get past them so as a human you'd coast long before. On the same accord it will feel like it applies brakes way later than you would and sometimes it can be uncomfortable. But all in all it is an amazing system and works wonderfully.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Originally Posted by GregTR
The only thing I don't like is that the system does not have 6th sense which means it will rather brake than coast up to a slower car when you see that there is no way to get past them so as a human you'd coast long before. On the same accord it will feel like it applies brakes way later than you would and sometimes it can be uncomfortable. But all in all it is an amazing system and works wonderfully.
Also notable is the difference in how the system responds in E mode vs S mode. S mode is considerably more responsive/aggressive.

My only gripe is that it doesn't follow close enough at highway speeds - not that I want to be on the guy in front's bumper, but the gap is too big and causes others to constantly cut in front in my experience (even though I'm keeping pace).
Old 04-11-2014, 12:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Drgolf131
So I'm guessing you like the 2014? I'm wrestling with what I do when my lease is up later this year.

I love it! Being the younger generation it appeals to me much more!

Originally Posted by Mercedes George
The problem with Distronic is not how to use it (it is extremely intuitive) --the problem is getting into another car after and forgetting it doesn't have it!

Only being half funny here--I've had an E550 with Distronic for 4 years now and just picked up a 2004 Sl55. Almost wrecked the SL as well as myself by slamming into the car in front of with cruise control on in the SL. (P.S. Don't need lectures from the gallery about depending too much upon technology).

After two days of driving this, I can DEFINITELY see this happening to myself.

Originally Posted by K-A

Let's just say, I like that "new" feel you mention about On a serious note, the E's have treated me well so far so I stick with them until something happens. I usually prefer to be under 20k miles on cars (you could say I had a traumatic experience on a car breakdown). I will admit, I've heard some stories of all the gauge lights running off outside of the group here on these new cars and it does worry me a little but I've yet to experience it. *knocks on wood*

Originally Posted by SLpat
I am glad to hear everyone likes the Distronic so much. I am going on a long drive next week (Houston to Atlanta) and looking forward to trying it out. I figured I would give the manual a quick review - I don't want to wreck the car before I get out of Houston...

Nice! Let me know how you feel about it! What general area in Sugar Land are you located? My second home in Houston is in New Territory! Glad to see other Benz owners being so close by!

Originally Posted by joeyza
Beautiful car! Get a clear bra installed on that bad boy asap. With the black paint and lots of highway miles, it'll look like you sprayed it with bird-shot in short order.

Amen to that! I worry more about cracks on my glass than chips on the front bumpers. I usually prefer to just tint a car and maybe a decal or two, but recently I've been debating about a set of wheels to keep! Overall, not much damage within the short months since I avoid being behind trucks. I'm more of a leader than a follower on the road if you catch my drift

Originally Posted by GregTR
It seems like you just got that white one the other day, about a week before I got my wagon. I have 12,000 miles on mine now, did my first oil change/service by myself at home. The Distronic + is indeed amazing and I would not want another car without it. You're absolutely going to love it! It is very intuitive.

In stop&go traffic it will do stop&go as long as speeds are under 18 mph and the stops are not longer than 3 seconds. If the speed goes above 18mph you will have to have your hands on the steering wheel and if stops are longer than 3 seconds you will have to either push on the accelerator or on the Distronic stalk to get going again. Up to 35 mph the car will follow the vehicle in front of it regardless of line markings as well but no, it will not take a right turn on its own. Under 18 mph it's fully autonomous without any user interaction.

Greg, thank you very much for the info! I'm sure I should have checked the manual but I really appreciate the numbers. I agree on the 6th sense, the car usually has brakes applied or ready to be, rather than coasting (even with it off compared to my previous E's).

Originally Posted by YYZ-E55
Also notable is the difference in how the system responds in E mode vs S mode. S mode is considerably more responsive/aggressive.

My only gripe is that it doesn't follow close enough at highway speeds - not that I want to be on the guy in front's bumper, but the gap is too big and causes others to constantly cut in front in my experience (even though I'm keeping pace).

Agreed. I plan to keep the distronic under a passive wing. I'm a passive aggressive driver so when I get close to 100ft of the car in front I'm already changing lanes or speeding to pass up if needed. As long as it's on it'll remain at that speed placed and I'll be a happy camper!
Old 04-11-2014, 04:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 573 Likes on 429 Posts
W212 FL
Your lovely pics justify black colored cars are more appealing over other colors
I like your ride , what a beauty
Old 04-11-2014, 07:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by YYZ-E55
I thought the following distance was adjustable?!?
If it is and the minimum is not close enough for you then I would assume that anything closer than the minimum would be considered dangerous.
There would be another thread in this forum for all you guys to whine about how your Mercedes "made" you rear end someone.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:43 AM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 E350 Wagon
Originally Posted by Tjdehya
If it is and the minimum is not close enough for you then I would assume that anything closer than the minimum would be considered dangerous.
There would be another thread in this forum for all you guys to whine about how your Mercedes "made" you rear end someone.
Indeed. The following distance can be adjusted between 1 and 2 seconds which means the following distance will get longer at faster speeds as you cover more distance in one second. The Distronic+ display shows this distance increasing and decreasing in the display using a highlighted area of "danger zone" stretching and compressing in front of the car pictogram in the display as your speed changes.

I'd mention that 1 second is the very least anyone should follow and if it seems too long, as it did to me, you've been a tailgater all your life. I agree that at highway speeds the 90+ ft of gap is inviting for other drivers, however I also noticed that people tend to move over more for me now than ever before. I don't know if it has to do with the distance and they can see me better or the more authoritative front of the Mercedes vs. my BMW but it was one of those things I noticed.

OH, and in Europe the rules are very simple, you have to leave 0.5 meter gap for every km/h you're going. So if you're going 100 km/h (62 mph) you have to leave a 50 meter gap (164 ft) . At 120 km/h you have to have a 60 meter gap etc. Based on simple math it means that you have to leave a 1.8 second gap, per law. They actually have cameras on the highway that measure this distance/speed and if they find you're following too closely they will give you a ticket. These cameras now generate more revenue than speed traps. So the 1 second gap on the shortest setting is actually breaking the law in most of Europe.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 834 Likes on 603 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by Tjdehya
I keep my distance setting in the third shortest, which seems to keep about 2 second gap to the car in front, i.e. the gap changes with speed and yes, even with the shortest setting the gap is so big others will cut in it.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:22 PM

2011 E550
After reading everything I tried the distronic cruise control out on my way to work this morning. Friday morning traffic isn't as heavy as usual and I have to say I was very impressed. It ranged the speed up and down from 75 to 45 and kept a very good distance. This may not be the safest trip I ever took to work, but I kept my foot right by the brake just in case. I am looking forward to using it on a long trip.

QTIP - I live in the Sweetwater area, just behind First Colony.

Lots of MB drivers in the Sugar Land area.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:39 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
na-nice Q

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Black Beauty is here!