MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   Chrome Door Handle Inserts (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/539782-chrome-door-handle-inserts.html)

shashivr4 04-25-2014 03:45 PM

Chrome Door Handle Inserts

I've been considering adding the chrome door handle inserts to my white wagon mainly to protect the paint from ring marks, etc. For the price, it seems like a good deal for protection around that area.

However, my concerns are with the aesthetics. What does everyone else think? Looks good or tacky?

Are they pretty easy to install (DIY?) Also, can they be easily removed later if needed?

Thanks!

SolidGranite 04-25-2014 03:53 PM

Personally I feel like they are hideous and ruin the intended lines on the door. They appear "tacked on" and do not provide an integrated or finished look. I'm not sure what the installation process is but I've been told they are easily removed by adding heat.

Yes, you may be protecting the paint but at what cost? Nobody will ever see the tiny imperfections in the paint from opening the door but EVERYONE will see those hideous chrome inserts.

mleskovar 04-25-2014 04:06 PM

Tacky. You can install clear bra type material there and get the same protection.

instantfob 04-25-2014 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by mleskovar (Post 6021288)
Tacky. You can install clear bra type material there and get the same protection.

Most Xpel Ultimate installers call them "door cups"

RobbieRob 04-25-2014 04:30 PM

I have them on my new car, came with them. Taking them off asap, you can have mine if they come off easily.

2BenzGarage 04-25-2014 05:37 PM

I have them on the 350 (on there when I purchased) and think they look pretty good on a white car :nix: Could be a bit more out of place on a darker car maybe?

hx_guy 04-25-2014 05:59 PM

Our previous 2012 E350 had them from the factory, I think they looked nice with the dark blue color of the car. The new 2012 E350 doesn't have them but the doors handles are chrome themselves (I guess part of the P2 package?).

dbldpr 04-25-2014 06:07 PM

I just installed them on my 2014 E350 which is white and it really looks sharp. I am glad I put them on. Extremely easy to install. It took me about 5 minutes. IT has to be at least 68 degrees outside for 2 days in order to install them. I do not know how they would look on a color other than white. But I really like mine. They are nice and flush and you would not know that they did not come with the car. I bought the mercedes ones and not after market. Go to ebay and you can get a mercedes dealer to buy from and there would be no tax and free shipping. Good luck I know you will enjoy them.

hx_guy 04-25-2014 06:14 PM

This is what they looked like on our old car...

http://www.nitnelav.com/chromehandles.jpg

shashivr4 04-25-2014 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by dbldpr (Post 6021440)
I just installed them on my 2014 E350 which is white and it really looks sharp. I am glad I put them on. Extremely easy to install. It took me about 5 minutes. IT has to be at least 68 degrees outside for 2 days in order to install them. I do not know how they would look on a color other than white. But I really like mine. They are nice and flush and you would not know that they did not come with the car. I bought the mercedes ones and not after market. Go to ebay and you can get a mercedes dealer to buy from and there would be no tax and free shipping. Good luck I know you will enjoy them.

To they just slide in? Or is there glue involved?

shashivr4 04-25-2014 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by RobbieRob (Post 6021316)
I have them on my new car, came with them. Taking them off asap, you can have mine if they come off easily.

I might take you up on that if I decide to go with them. Thanks!

dbldpr 04-25-2014 06:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
here is what they look like on a white car. AS you can see it looks great

dbldpr 04-25-2014 06:37 PM

You pull the tape cover off just a little on top and bottom then you fit them where you want them and pull the tape cover off while you hold in place. The kit comes with a cleaner that you use to wipe the are to get rid of any wax first. Instructions come with it. Very easy. Car has to be locked when doing it so you cannot have key on you when you are doing it.. You have to lift the handle to align.

Munich77 04-25-2014 10:13 PM

My irridum silver E-class came with them. I have to admit I actually like them.

cyclops 05-26-2014 09:06 AM

Great, problem solved. Chrome it is, thanks to all for input.

PeterUbers 05-26-2014 10:53 AM

My previous cars didn't come with them... didn't mind not having them, this E63 came with them, don't mind them, I am not going to take them off.

ChuckinTucson 05-26-2014 09:16 PM

I had them on my '12 C350 and now on my '13ML350. Both cars were Lunar Blue and I think they look great.

K-A 05-28-2014 05:19 AM

Very tacky, "Pep Boys"-ish.

Getting keyless entry is the best solution for door handles as you get the trademark, integrated look of chrome at the top of the door handles. It's always un-easing to see W212's with the generic P1 (or whatever the package is called now) with monochromatic door handles to me. The aftermarket "cups" in the indentations IMO isn't a good or OEM quality solution as it goes too far and doesn't look intended.

dbldpr 05-28-2014 07:32 AM

I guess everyone is entitled to there opinion. But very tacky and pep boyish you are wrong. I would not get rid of my OEM cups. I believe it ads class to the appearance of the car and from all the responses except yours they agree and like it. Oh well I guess we are all wrong and you are right

Quadcammer 05-28-2014 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by dbldpr (Post 6055267)
I guess everyone is entitled to there opinion. But very tacky and pep boyish you are wrong. I would not get rid of my OEM cups. I believe it ads class to the appearance of the car and from all the responses except yours they agree and like it. Oh well I guess we are all wrong and you are right

your chrome looks like dog****

dbldpr 05-28-2014 09:39 AM

Thanks for the compliment ***hole

PeterUbers 05-28-2014 10:15 AM

LOL

so it's down to this.....

stale-bread 05-28-2014 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by dbldpr (Post 6021464)
here is what they look like on a white car. AS you can see it looks great

Looks sharp with your white. Blends well with the chrome handle and window trim.

Las84 05-28-2014 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by dbldpr (Post 6055334)
Thanks for the compliment ***hole

:y Good one. Like the inserts by the way I do have these inserts and I think they look great. And that is my choice to put them on with my other chrome stuff. Couldnt care less what other thinks how bad and sh... I respect others oppinions but in the end its MY car and I will do wathever I want.
Fu…...ng car style police job, people in here has taken on them selfs. Your oppinon is not the only one. Oppinions are split in half like your a.. Some likes that, and others likes somthing else.

K-A 05-28-2014 10:28 AM

I think it blends especially well with the "Flava FLav Edition" M-B Illuminated Star and fake air scoops in the rear bumper.

:D