MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   Iphone vs Galaxy for integration with command 2014 (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/540264-iphone-vs-galaxy-integration-command-2014-a.html)

Substance 04-29-2014 12:19 PM

Iphone vs Galaxy for integration with command 2014

I am expecting delivery of my 2014 E250BT in less than a month. I have a Galaxy S4. I know Siri integrates with command. Should I switch to Iphone on my next phone? What's your opinion on which works better with command?

Note: strictly in the sense of integration with Mercedes systems,disregarding the capabilities of the phones on their own.

mikemargolis 04-29-2014 01:20 PM

Well, my experience relates to a 2011 E-class, so may be of zero use to you.

I have had iPhone 4 and 4S, and now a Galaxy S4.

All worked perfectly with COMAND, except:

1. The iPhones transmitted song information (artist and song name) to COMAND while bluetooth streaming Pandora, and the Galaxy does not.
2. The iPhones continue to transmit songs that play while the phone screen is turned off, and the Galaxy will finish the song it is playing, but not start the next one until I wake up the screen. (EDIT 5/27/13: This is not correct. Pandora has a tech bulletin on their website for fixing the time-out issue.)

mystery905 04-29-2014 01:20 PM

I have a Galaxy S2X, and it works quite nicely with COMAND.

It connects via BT for phone use, as well as audio streaming. Song information gets displayed on the COMAND screen.

I wouldn't convert to iPhone if I were you.

thefisch 04-29-2014 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by mikemargolis (Post 6025201)
Well, my experience relates to a 2011 E-class, so may be of zero use to you.

I have had iPhone 4 and 4S, and now a Galaxy S4.

All worked perfectly with COMAND, except:

1. The iPhones transmitted song information (artist and song name) to COMAND while bluetooth streaming Pandora, and the Galaxy does not.
2. The iPhones continue to transmit songs that play while the phone screen is turned off, and the Galaxy will finish the song it is playing, but not start the next one until I wake up the screen.

That's interesting the 1 and 2 are issues for the S4. My S3 has no problem doing those two things and it's a year older.

sharpxia 04-29-2014 05:32 PM

I have the same problem that Galaxy doesn't sent song info over Bluetooth to COMAND. But COMAND will display and play back the text message with Galaxy but not iPhone. So it is hard to chose which one is better.

mikemargolis 06-07-2014 03:03 PM

By the way, I just switched to a Samsung Galaxy S5 and all problems, including streaming of song artists and titles, and the time out issue, are now fixed.

Dema 06-07-2014 10:27 PM

How people can compare jail with freedom? Galaxy is all way. Can you even listen to SACD on iPhone? No way.

jmatero 06-08-2014 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by sharpxia (Post 6025491)
I have the same problem that Galaxy doesn't sent song info over Bluetooth to COMAND. But COMAND will display and play back the text message with Galaxy but not iPhone. So it is hard to chose which one is better.

iPhone 5 and 5s are displaying and playing back text messages fine on my 2013 E350 and 2014 C250.

jmatero 06-08-2014 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by Dema (Post 6066362)
How people can compare jail with freedom?

Galaxy is like a Zune but not as brown. :rolf:

K-A 06-08-2014 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Dema (Post 6066362)
How people can compare jail with freedom? Galaxy is all way. Can you even listen to SACD on iPhone? No way.

I have a Galaxy, biggest POS device I've ever had. Makes sense as to why Samsung needs to spend more money on marketing it than any company has ever spent in history.

Personally, I'll take seamless integration over the wild-west bloatware, incoherent spam-zone that is re-skinned Android (matched with Samsung's "Touchwizz" horrid UI it's an utter mess). Google is reportedly working on an "Android Silver" which will be their attempt to generate the more hardware/software integrated, high-end experience that iOS/iPhone provide.

All I await is iPhone 6 with its hopeful larger screen, cause I got big hands. :D

As for integration, I find iPhone worked MUCH better in my E Class, total seamless integration, and having SIRI available at the touch of a button (voice command on the steering wheel) was also a huge catch. In my BMW as well, I find iPhone's hooked up are a lot more transparent with the cars infotainment.

Now with even more SIRI availability from the car itself since I had my iPhone 4S, and Apple Car Play to follow, they're gonna have an even bigger leg up in the car.

jmatero 06-08-2014 10:56 AM

And now with iOS 8 on the way, your iPhone can just sit in the armrest and you can say "hey Siri, play.... or "take me to....."

drsaab 06-08-2014 11:23 AM

I just switched from iPhone 5 to lg g2 android and I like it way better. So many more media features and better keyboards like swift key.

Dema 06-09-2014 06:53 PM

Song info in dash is a job of your music player, nothing to do with your phone brand. Every phone has certain niche of users. For example I like to listen to SACD using my Android phone. You can't do that with iPhone, you can only instruct it play some MP3. I believe it is perfectly fine with most of people, driving Benz and listening MP3.
iPhone = Benz, you can't do anything for it besides of a dealer (Apple)
Android=BMW, you can do too much yourself, although still should deal with some not desired functionality

jmatero 06-10-2014 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by drsaab (Post 6066698)
I just switched from iPhone 5 to lg g2 android and I like it way better. So many more media features and better keyboards like swift key.

Same keyboards (swift too) on the iPhone with iOS8

MA-E320 06-10-2014 11:38 AM

Do you guys hear the phone's ringtone when someone calls you while in the car or is it the benz's built-in annoying chirp? When I had my iPhone 4 I always heard its ringtone. Now, with my Nexus 5 I hear the chirp.

thefisch 06-10-2014 01:27 PM

I hear the MB ring. My BT profiles do not allow pass through of the ringtone. Have the same issue on my BT cordless at home. I think that may be an iphone thing.