MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   Need new engine!! (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/542379-need-new-engine.html)

MA-E320 05-16-2014 01:22 PM

Need new engine!!

Hi fellas,

My 2011 E350 had a slight knocking/clanking noise coming from the engine after idling for more than 3 minutes in the AM. Initially it was intermittent and then more consistent. I dropped my car to have my 50K mile service done on Tuesday and asked them to check it out. Yesterday PM I got a phone call from the service manager informing me that I need a new engine. Diagnosis was the rearmost two cylinders slightly scrape against engine wall.

According to some service bulletin that supposedly came out on May 7th, this warrants a total engine swap. I was (still am) pissed since this car, like my previous ML320BT, ended up with major major engine problems.

Of course CPO warranty will cover it 100% :bow: but I am worried. I do not know where the re-manufactured engine will come from, why it was removed from whatever donor car, who re-manufactured it etc etc. Dealer is being super responsive and immediately got MBUSA involved.

What do you think? I still have CPO until 12/2017, but thinking twice about keeping it. They will work out a deal with or without MBUSA in case I want to trade in (usually will pay market value for it).

The irony of it is that yesterday I received the title as it was just paid off :-(

Opinions, please pitch in!

imaphaetonguy 05-16-2014 01:36 PM

Bummer for sure.

I don't think you have anything to worry about getting a reman engine.

MB likely does the rebuild in Europe, where the engine is made.

If you think about it, you had a used engine with 50k on it already.

I think you should sit back, and enjoy that new engine smell! :)

KEY08 05-16-2014 01:38 PM

You mean the pistons are grinding on the cylinder wall? I don't understand your diagnosis(two cylinders slightly scrape against engine wall)

MA-E320 05-16-2014 01:53 PM

Well, yes they grind on the cylinder wall. "two cylinders slightly scrape against engine wall" is a copy/paste from the diagnosis email I did receive from the dealership. They took the engine apart this AM and they reconfirmed it once again.

BeachBunny 05-16-2014 02:31 PM

I wouldn't sweat it at all. After all, you're getting a new engine out of the deal. Do you know for certain that you are getting a rebuild?

A long time ago I received a call from the dealer that they had blown the engine on my 190E 16v. It had a manual transmission and the tech "missed a shift" while driving the car on the interstate. Safe to say, I was a bit less than pleased initially but they took care of everything. Fortunately I was out of town otherwise I probably would have been more irate about it. The replacement engine was trouble free for the next 130,000 miles I put on the car before selling it for something newer.

If anything, you just got a "free" 50,000 on the engine. DO go through the recommended break-in routine (no ragging on the engine, varying speeds, etc for the first 3,000 miles) and you should be fine. If anything does happen, you can probably browbeat Mercedes into giving the engine a little out of warranty courtesy coverage.

konigstiger 05-16-2014 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by MA-E320 (Post 6044098)
According to some service bulletin that supposedly came out on May 7th, this warrants a total engine swap.

LI03.10-P-052286 https://mbworld.org/forums/4877952-post42.html

thefisch 05-16-2014 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by konigstiger (Post 6044185)

Darn it! My engine (273970 30 400094) is in the range.

OP - any audio of what the grinding/knocking sounded like? Is it like a 'bad gas' or low octane kind of knocking or different than that?

kash2014 05-16-2014 03:23 PM

my engine is in range too! I think

:nix: 272977 31 461622

MA-E320 05-16-2014 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by BeachBunny (Post 6044178)
I wouldn't sweat it at all. After all, you're getting a new engine out of the deal. Do you know for certain that you are getting a rebuild?

Yes. Since they do not manufacture M272 engine any more, it will be remanufactured. I think I have the dealer on my side, as the GM called me minutes ago informing that they are actively pursuing MBUSA for either 5 yrs/100K warranty on new engine + power train or buyback car at retail and some great deal towards a new one ....

rrayll 05-16-2014 03:29 PM

Gee, mine too I think.

272977 31 834664.

Any way to determine the production date of engine? My delivery date was 2/15/2011, but can't tell when engine was produced.

MA-E320 05-16-2014 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by thefisch (Post 6044232)
Darn it! My engine (273970 30 400094) is in the range.

OP - any audio of what the grinding/knocking sounded like? Is it like a 'bad gas' or low octane kind of knocking or different than that?

Sounded more like am irregular valve lifter knock/clanking noise. It came from rear right portion of engine, which corresponds with the damaged cylinder wall that they found this AM. I do not have recorded audio, I thought this might've been something minor such as a tensioner or whatever.

KEY08 05-16-2014 03:31 PM

This is a 6 cyl. problem..... yes?

PeterUbers 05-16-2014 03:35 PM

I would keep it but resale on this car just took a hit because the carfax will list engine swap now

May be better to see what they are offering for your car and argue back to Mbusa that the resale is diminished so you need more than market value as u just paid off this car and did not intend to sell it. Now years from now when u sell you'll take another loss.

Mbusa will take care of u

thefisch 05-16-2014 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by KEY08 (Post 6044282)
This is a 6 cyl. problem..... yes?

Here is the text from post the konigstiger linked. 273 engine is the 2010/2011 NA V-8 so it impacts E550 too.

LI03.10-P-052286 SEPT11 knocking noise from engine, inspect cylinder walls for scoring if found engine must be replaced. Affected vehicles are mostly production dates from 8/10 to 11/10 but might be outside this range situation was corrected as of engine # 2729xx 31932895 & 2739xx 30441186.

thefisch 05-16-2014 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by kash2014 (Post 6044264)
my engine is in range too! I think

:nix: 272977 31 461622

Seems to be. Was your car made within the date range?

thefisch 05-16-2014 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by rrayll (Post 6044279)
Gee, mine too I think.

272977 31 834664.

Any way to determine the production date of engine? My delivery date was 2/15/2011, but can't tell when engine was produced.

I don't know if you can check that, but the bulletins refer to the build month of the car which is found on the sticker inside your driver side front door.

thefisch 05-16-2014 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by MA-E320 (Post 6044281)
Sounded more like am irregular valve lifter knock/clanking noise. It came from rear right portion of engine, which corresponds with the damaged cylinder wall that they found this AM. I do not have recorded audio, I thought this might've been something minor such as a tensioner or whatever.

Huh, so much for minor.:eek: Since I am not familiar with the sound of an irregular valve lifter and so I don't freak out over a normal sound, I hope you don't mind if I ask some more questions. You mentioned is was 'intermittent and then more consistent'. Did it recently start happening or was it that way since you got the car? Perhaps it was recent since you waited until the 50k service to get it checked out.

When you say intermittent, do you mean it didn't happen every time you started the car or the sound would come and go during the same trip?

Could you hear it from inside the car while idling or driving or only outside with or without hood raised while idling?

The good news is the dealer didn't give you any run around, telling you this sound was normal.

kash2014 05-16-2014 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by thefisch (Post 6044313)
Seems to be. Was your car made within the date range?

No, it was made 21 01 2010. So hopefully I'm ok, Good to know I'll be more proactive if I hear an funny noises

MA-E320 05-16-2014 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by thefisch (Post 6044331)
Huh, so much for minor.:eek: Since I am not familiar with the sound of an irregular valve lifter and so I don't freak out over a normal sound, I hope you don't mind if I ask some more questions. You mentioned is was 'intermittent and then more consistent'. Did it recently start happening or was it that way since you got the car? Perhaps it was recent since you waited until the 50k service to get it checked out.

When you say intermittent, do you mean it didn't happen every time you started the car or the sound would come and go during the same trip?

Could you hear it from inside the car while idling or driving or only outside with or without hood raised while idling?

The good news is the dealer didn't give you any run around, telling you this sound was normal.

No, they were pretty cool about it. I showed it to my SA when I dropped it off and he documented it very well and agreed that it deserved a proper diagnosis.

So, I could only reproduce it on demand 1-2 minutes after you start the car and let it idle. First time I noticed it was this last March as I was washing the car, and it disappeared after restart. I then heard it again, clear and loud, while at a drive through ATM a couple of weeks later (with window open). You could only hear it when you stood outside. I took notice of the noise and was monitoring it every other day and then daily until I became convinced something was off as the occurrence was persistent.

In my scenario, noise can be classified as an irregular metallic knock (or clank) with no set frequency or pattern. Once you rev the engine up it disappears, and it reappears when the engine is back revving at normal idling speed.

It's a wait and see game now. I discussed it personally with MBUSA as well. The case handler was very sympathetic and he agrees 100% that I have a case since this is my 2nd car with major engine issues and they will definitely do "something".

N_Jay 05-16-2014 04:57 PM

If it is a factory reman, I would go for it.
In general factory remas are as good if not better then new.
All the replacement parts will be new, and all the hard parts will be inspected and only used if in tolerance.

I am not sure if the value goes down or not. The engine is "factory MB built" and 50K miles newer than the car.

kash2014 05-16-2014 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by MA-E320 (Post 6044098)
Hi fellas,

My 2011 E350 had a slight knocking/clanking noise coming from the engine after idling for more than 3 minutes in the AM. Initially it was intermittent and then more consistent. I dropped my car to have my 50K mile service done on Tuesday and asked them to check it out. Yesterday PM I got a phone call from the service manager informing me that I need a new engine. Diagnosis was the rearmost two cylinders slightly scrape against engine wall.

According to some service bulletin that supposedly came out on May 7th, this warrants a total engine swap. I was (still am) pissed since this car, like my previous ML320BT, ended up with major major engine problems.

Of course CPO warranty will cover it 100% :bow: but I am worried. I do not know where the re-manufactured engine will come from, why it was removed from whatever donor car, who re-manufactured it etc etc. Dealer is being super responsive and immediately got MBUSA involved.

What do you think? I still have CPO until 12/2017, but thinking twice about keeping it. They will work out a deal with or without MBUSA in case I want to trade in (usually will pay market value for it).

The irony of it is that yesterday I received the title as it was just paid off :-(

Opinions, please pitch in!

If you usually keep cars for a long time, I say keep it. Even if they pay "fair market for it", you'll be taking hit with whatever new car you buy.

By 2017 your car will be worth something in the mid teens, its a rebuilt engine and not a rebuilt title, most reasonable people will understand the difference between a new engine because of a known defect (TSB) vs a new engine because of bad maintenance

I would push as others have said for an extended power train warranty and pre paid maintenance etc etc on their "new engine".

The warranty is being used exactly for what it is designed for to protect you from expensive repairs ie transmission engine etc.

KEY08 05-16-2014 05:49 PM

^ I concur. I would have no issue buying a used car with manufacturer rebuilt engine and service records, especially a Mercedes Benz.

BenzV12 05-17-2014 03:18 AM

Sorry to hear that nuisance .Good thing they acknowledged that and I believe it will still hold it's value in long term .Only one thing that bogs my mind is that there is no guarantee it won't happen again but engine failure at this level is a rare misfortune or incident .
I think any rebuilt engine should last longer than your faulty engine under same conditions assuming they updated and well informed what's wrong with your car's OEM engine and if they rebuild your engine it should serve as good as new in someone's car

N_Jay 05-17-2014 10:13 AM

Does anyone know the cause of the failure? Worn part, Bent part, Part flex?

SPIKES 05-18-2014 09:21 PM

mine has knock as well....built 08/10
mentioned this 3 months ago to sa at dealer...could not find any issue..