MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   Rear Lip Spoiler Install - DIY (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/542550-rear-lip-spoiler-install-diy.html)

The Ryno 05-18-2014 12:18 AM

Rear Lip Spoiler Install - DIY

6 Attachment(s)
In searching for a solid DIY for the install of the rear lip spoiler, I failed to see any dedicated to this. So, I decided to snap some pics as I added this to my new to me E350.

Here is a pic of my spoiler right out of the box:

Attachment 286896

Here is a pic of the 3m double sided tape I used as the primary adhesive.

Attachment 286897

I applied the 3m tape around all edges of the spoiler along with a few beads of silicone auto adhesive.

Attachment 286898

After thoroughly cleaning and and prepping the surface, I placed the lip where it was going to go. Once I had it perfect, I used tape to mask off one edge for alignment when ready to attach. Obviously, do this step before removing the backing to the tape and applying an silicone. :) Place the spoiler on the trunk, carefully aligning the spoiler to the masked tape.

Attachment 286899

After firmly pressing the spoiler to the trunk, I used tape to secure it over night.

Attachment 286901

The Ryno 05-18-2014 12:19 AM

Sorry the pics are so crappy.

BenzV12 05-18-2014 04:00 AM

Good job, I like your enthusiasm :y
Speaking of the pics,that must be an I-Phone thingy lol :nix: :crazy: .That's OK for me though

The Ryno 05-18-2014 09:58 AM

Yes sir. I phone. At night, none the less.

thefisch 05-18-2014 10:19 AM

I commend you for making a guide. While some may feel comfortable doing this project, you probably helped some folks on the fence decide to take the plunge with an easy mod. It also serves as a repository for do's and don'ts. Along those lines, did the instructions call for the silicone? What did you do to prep the car surface?

The Ryno 05-18-2014 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by thefisch (Post 6045762)
I commend you for making a guide. While some may feel comfortable doing this project, you probably helped some folks on the fence decide to take the plunge with an easy mod. It also serves as a repository for do's and don'ts. Along those lines, did the instructions call for the silicone? What did you do to prep the car surface?

As far as prepping, I washed the area very well. I then used a mix of alcohol and water as well. As far as the silicone, the directions did not call for that. However, while in college I worked at a body shop that specialized in BMWs. We always added a bead of silicone as a preventative, especially on the corners which may be prone to pulling up.

Tracers 05-18-2014 03:03 PM

I just received my rear trunk and roof spoiler from jbspeed:y:y. Looks like I'm going to install in the next day or so.

stale-bread 05-21-2014 08:21 PM

Nice work Ryno! Now add a rear window spolier. :)

The Ryno 05-21-2014 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by stale-bread (Post 6049532)
Nice work Ryno! Now add a rear window spolier. :)

Thats on the list to do!

RNBRAD 05-23-2014 03:29 PM

Smart man with the silicone. Mine was lifting up from the factory tape job. I removed and used the 3m double sided tape, still didn't hold for long. I ended up using a combo black silicone adhesive and walla worked great. I had to do it to both spoilers.