MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   Paint/coating peeling interior console (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/545024-paint-coating-peeling-interior-console.html)

jjack100 06-08-2014 07:34 PM

Paint/coating peeling interior console

1 Attachment(s)
I have a 2013 E350. The paint/coating on my center armrest/console is bubbling and peeling off. It looks to be coated plastic. I have attached a photo. Anyway, given that this car is only 1.5 years old, I'm wondering if this is something that would typically be under warranty -- and regardless of that, if this can be fixed/replaced.

Thanks, Jack

thefisch 06-08-2014 08:02 PM

Had the same problem on my used 2011. See the pic I posted here. Carmax covered it under their warranty for me. Dealer also told me it would have been under warranty if I hadn't been over miles.

PeterUbers 06-08-2014 09:01 PM

Of course it would be covered under warranty -- it's not like you took a razor and did that yourself -- it's a defect in manufacturing of that part.

Get yer stealership on board and get it replaced, sorry that happened... so annoying this type of problem because now they have to tear up the center console and put it back together

jjack100 06-08-2014 10:35 PM

Thanks for the replies. I contacted the dealership (with photos) and was told that the service manager needs to inspect it in person to "determine the cause." Not exactly the response I was looking for. I guess we'll see how much of hassle this is going to be. I do not ride around with buckets of paint thinner so I'm not sure how they are thinking they might have some sort of out..if that is what they are thinking.

alanme123 06-09-2014 04:57 AM

I have the sports steering wheel and some of the silver paint is actually peeling off.. Wonder if this is under warranty as well...

jjack100 06-09-2014 11:14 AM

I don't see how paint peeling off on the interior can be normal wear after only a few years, even on the steering wheel. And even though this seems minor, it WILL affect the value of the car when you try to sell it. I find it kind of baffling that they don't use black plastic and instead use clear plastic with some sort of colored coating that will eventually come off and cause issues.

PeterUbers 06-09-2014 11:59 AM

If they give you a hard time -- call MBUSA and file a complaint and let them negotiate with the stealership -- this car is only a year old!!! C'mon

thefisch 06-09-2014 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by jjack100 (Post 6067239)
Thanks for the replies. I contacted the dealership (with photos) and was told that the service manager needs to inspect it in person to "determine the cause." Not exactly the response I was looking for. I guess we'll see how much of hassle this is going to be. I do not ride around with buckets of paint thinner so I'm not sure how they are thinking they might have some sort of out..if that is what they are thinking.

I think the bubbling up gives it away that the material or application of it is defective. Their policies probably make them diagnose in person just in case. Maybe they just want to be sure that it doesn't look deliberately cut or gouged from abuse which would have left damage to the underlying plastic. I wouldn't be worried. But yes their response is annoying.

Sorry that this happened to you, but now I am glad I am not the only one who had this problem. Let us know how it turns out.

SLpat 06-09-2014 10:41 PM

I think this is standard procedure. When I wanted to get the trim replaced due to fading it was the same. You have to go in, they write up the service order and then have the tech verify it is faded. Then they ordered the replacement kit. A lot of effort but if you work through the system it usually works.

SnakeDoctor 06-09-2014 10:43 PM

I had the same in my 2010. Replaced under warranty.

stale-bread 06-10-2014 12:07 AM

Should be covered under warranty. Looks like the damage was caused by acrylic nails. Wife, GF, or Mistress perhaps? :)

jjack100 06-10-2014 05:20 PM

Update: the dealer is going to cover this. They ordered the part and are replacing it in a few days. I did have to push it a little bit, but nothing major.

Originally Posted by stale-bread (Post 6068614)
Looks like the damage was caused by acrylic nails. Wife, GF, or Mistress perhaps? :)

Women and children are relegated to the backseat where they can do minimal damage, so it wasn't that. :X

thefisch 06-10-2014 05:48 PM

Glad to hear they will address it. IIRC, it was a $100 estimate to replace at the dealer - ~$40 for part and rest for labor.

CEB 06-11-2014 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by jjack100 (Post 6067631)
I don't see how paint peeling off on the interior can be normal wear after only a few years, even on the steering wheel. And even though this seems minor, it WILL affect the value of the car when you try to sell it. I find it kind of baffling that they don't use black plastic and instead use clear plastic with some sort of colored coating that will eventually come off and cause issues.

Originally Posted by PeterUbers (Post 6067163)
Of course it would be covered under warranty -- it's not like you took a razor and did that yourself -- it's a defect in manufacturing of that part.

Get yer stealership on board and get it replaced, sorry that happened... so annoying this type of problem because now they have to tear up the center console and put it back together

This not as clear cut as you might imagine.

This type of bubbling is often caused by oils (sunscreen, makeup, evil Armorall and the like) that finds its way under the paint under a minor scratch (caused perhaps, like a previous poster said, by a mistress in the throes of passion) and is technically not a manufacturing defect.

MB issued a bulletin a few years back about denying warranty coverage on similar issues caused by those vent clip-on air fresheners.

The good news is that most manufacturers will cover this type of damage as goodwill but it really isn't their fault.

kash2014 06-11-2014 11:42 AM

Still not as bad as BMW, I haven't seen one used beamer without the plastic rubbing off the steering and radio knobs, window buttons etc

thefisch 06-11-2014 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by CEB (Post 6069896)
This not as clear cut as you might imagine.

This type of bubbling is often caused by oils (sunscreen, makeup, evil Armorall and the like) that finds its way under the paint under a minor scratch (caused perhaps, like a previous poster said, by a mistress in the throes of passion) and is technically not a manufacturing defect.

MB issued a bulletin a few years back about denying warranty coverage on similar issues caused by those vent clip-on air fresheners.

The good news is that most manufacturers will cover this type of damage as goodwill but it really isn't their fault.

I understand that abuse from passion or other causes shouldn't be covered. Perhaps the material is not defective, but they should really use a more durable material then or require wearing gloves as part of the warranty. Sunscreen, makeup, Armorall are normal, everyday products - not for me just to be clear :naughty:

I understand the difference with the vents and the clip-on fresheners as the vents were not designed for that. However, if MB can't produce cars that don't have a musty AC smell, then they should consider a dedicated spot for clip-on fresheners.

jjack100 06-11-2014 03:33 PM

I agree that if you damage your car, it should not be covered under warranty. In this case, however, I did nothing that would cause this. There is no eating or drinking or suntanning or Armor-alling going on in my car. My guess is that this was caused by heat. I still don't see why they don't use a solid piece of black plastic as opposed to a coating that can come off. The dime they saved on that just flew out the window.

v12driven 06-11-2014 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by thefisch (Post 6070149)
I understand that abuse from passion .....

Is there something unique at work here? This appears to be a growing concern.